Dragon Riders

Chapter 3

The Counselor had told me to pack lightly, anything that I would need in the future would be provided for me while at the Rider’s School, and while I was packing he talked to my parents.
My brothers accompanied and gave me orders to write often and that if anybody touched me that I should hit first and ask questions later, they helped me pack, told me how much they would miss me, and promised to visit if they got the chance. After they caused me to cry I kicked them out of the room and continues packing, and since there was little for me to pack I was soon finished.
Glancing around my room, I crinkled my nose at it before I joined my family and the Counselor in the kitchen. “Ah good! You’re quick! Say goodbye to your family and meet me outside, we must start our journey to the school as soon as possible.” The Counselor ordered before he strode out of the house, leaving behind him my family and an awkward silence.
Mother was the first to break the silence as with a sharp cry she yanked me into a hug. “My baby girl is going to the Rider’s school! I’m so proud of you!” She cried a second before Father joined the hug. After that my brothers folded in around us and our family embraced in a slightly awkward group hug. “Make sure you write as often as possible and the first chance you get you come home!” She ordered as our family unfolded from the hug.
Nodding my head at her I said yes ma’am and moved to give my family hugs, receiving advise and orders from each of them. Once our goodbyes were done my family trooped outside where the Counselor waited with two beautiful horses.
My father secured my pack onto the back of the vacant horse as Matthew helped me to swing up onto the horse. Once my family had stepped back the Counselor asked me if I was ready to go. With one last glance at my family I nodded too him before nudging my horse forward.

The Counselor wasn’t kidding when he said that we needed to get started as soon as possible, because even with our departure, which had taken place at around lunch time, we didn’t reach the school until well after Midnight, and that was after galloping our horses for most of the way.
The School seemed to come out of nowhere. One second we were riding in a deserted field and the next we topped a hill to see a large castle surrounded by large fences. The building had hundreds of windows, some lit with light from within the building, and a large glass dome on the roof that seemed to open into the sky. A Bright glow issued from the dome and lit the sky above. The black rocks that made up the outside of the Castle was climbed with flowering vines that added a softer side to the terrifying building. The fences that surrounded the lush green yard around it extended out of sight into the forest and no doubt gave the castle’s in habitants plenty of room to move around and play.
“Come along Miss Williams, the stables are this way.” The Counselor told me before he kicked his horse down the hill in the direction of the woods. Following behind him, I kept my eyes trained on the world around me, scanning it with naked appreciation.
That was how I almost missed it, and I would have if it weren’t for the tensing of the horse under me as its head swung around to stare at the fast approaching stables, or more appropriately what rested in front of it.
With bright blue scales the Dragon toward over the stable, but when it saw us it simply moved out of the way before resuming it’s looking around. With its position we were forced to ride past, allowing me to get a good look at its tail, which was as thick around as an oak tree. While my horse seemed wary of the giant Dragon, it didn’t seem all that fearful.
Halting our horses in front of the barn the Counselor and I slid off, grabbing our bags before a big burly man stormed out what I had previously believed to be a tack room. His once red hair was fading to white and large burned splotches dotted his visible skin. A bushy beard covered his chin and his large frame was draped in nightclothes, as if he had hurriedly gotten out of bed.
Deep Brown eyes widened at the sight of the Counselor and I before he rushed over to take the horses. “So! This is the recruit for the Southern Lands?” the man asked in a voice that was accented in a familiar lithe.
The Counselor smiled at the larger man before gesturing to me with his hand. “Yes sir, this little one came from the very same place as you, Mr. Hogel!” The Counselor said cheerily, confirming my suspension of the other man’s home.
Mr. Hogel smiled wide at me a second before he bustled about putting away the horses. “Really! How is everybody back home? Well I assume?” He asked, his voice generally interested.
I smiled at the familiar lack of class in his words, something I missed already. The Counselor talked in the proper way of a northerner, and I tried my hardest to talk like him, as I didn’t want him to suddenly take away my position at the school. “Everybody’s good! I don’t know if you know ‘em, but the baker had a bunch of boys, rowdiest group ever! Their poor mama’s always at her wits end!” I told him, as it was the most interesting thing that had happened back home.
Mr. Hogel brushed himself off as he turned to face me. “Jeremy Gains still the baker! ‘Bout time that boy reproduce, but lord help the town once those rascals of his get to wobble’n bout on their own.” He said causing me to laugh and nod in agreement. “Well James, I do believe this little lass’ll fit right in! Even Pearl likes ‘er, and you know how hard it is to get Pearl to like anybody!” Mr. Hogel said as he gestured behind me.
Turning around I had a near heart attack when I realized “Pearl” was the huge white Dragon that had been waiting outside the stable. It, or she I guess, had adjusted so that she could peer into the stable, her large eyes blue and piercing as they stared in at the group of three in the stable.
“Ah! I forgot to introduce you! How rude of me!” The Counselor stated when he noted the direction of my gaze. “Pearl, I would like to introduce you to Miss Royse Williams, the recruit from the same town as Hogel.” He said, addressing the Dragon before me.
“Hello Miss Royse!” A loud female voice boomed inside my skull, the words were whisper soft, but still sounded as if they were being screamed directly into my ear. “It is a pleasure to meet one who is like my Hogel. And I do apologize about the loudness of my voice, you will get used to you.” The female voice added the apology as an after thought.
I stood gaping at the huge Dragon before me, my eyes locked onto her beautiful eyes. After a couple of seconds I remembered myself, and realized that I was probably being incredibly rude. “Oh! It’s a pleasure to meet you to! And there is no need to apologize, it is already getting more bearable!” I told Pearl, not lying about the volume of her voice already adjusting in my mind so that it didn’t pound.
Pearl’s mouth opened in a sharp-toothed smile as her vice sounded again. “Well aren’t you just the sweetest thing! But I do believe its time for you to be getting to bed! It’s late and you seem positively exhausted, as one should be after the day you’ve had. Now run along, and be sure you don’t become a stranger, it’s so very rare that I find a human as tolerable as you and my Hogel.” It wasn’t until Pearl mentioned it that I realized that I was in fact starting to weaken, the adrenaline of the day leaving my body to an almost passed out state.
The Counselor bid goodbye to Mr. Hogel and Pearl and waited for me to do the same before he started towards the castle, his steps un-doubtfully shortened as he led me through the thick forest.
After a couple of minutes of walking, during which I got even more exhausted, we finally left the dirt path and tress behind for a cobble stone path that led to the large front door of the mansion. The Counselor didn’t even slow down as he pushed open the front door and closed it behind us, leaving us in a candle lit entry way that could have held the whole of my house with some room to spare.
On one side of the entry was a large opening that led to who knows what, and on the other was a door. Directly in front of me across the hard wood floor was a grand staircase that spiraled higher than the candlelight lit, but I could see at least two more floors before the light faded out of usefulness. The stairs were covered in an ornate rug that, when the Counselor and I began to climb, sank under out feet as if padded.
The smell of wood cleaner and leather extended through out the dark house as we climb higher and high, passing the first five stories with ease. My eyes had adjusted to the darkness by then and I was able to see what the floors looked like, and they were, for the most part, identical.
The stairs ended in a square room as large as the entry way filled with couches and large pads that rested on the ground. Beside the stairs that we climbed up there was another set that we soon turned onto to continue our upward track. On either side of the stairs were large hallways that contained nothing but closed doors. The wall opposite the stairs was always open, with a large balcony that faced the woods.
Around the eighth level the Counselor started speaking. “This is only half of the mansion, where the living quarters are. In the middle is the hatchery and nursery, you’ll be visiting there tomorrow, bright and early. The other side of the Castle is the classrooms, you will spend most of your time there and on the training field. The rest of your time will be spent in your room bonding with your Dragon.” The Consoler told me as we stopped on what I estimated to be the tenth level. “The hallways on the left of the stairs are the male rooms, the rooms on the right are the females. This is the main room, tomorrow somebody will wake you on time and show you where to go. After that you are on your own. Clothes are in your room and you will wear it everyday. Now sadly this is probably the last time we will see each other. Goodbye Miss Williams, and good luck.” With that the Counselor turned and started down the stairs leaving me alone.
Watching until he was out of sight I turned to the hallway on my right and walked to the end. Opening the door to a room on the right I sighed when I saw that not only did it have a window, it wasn’t already occupied.
Looking around the room I noted the bareness of it. There was a small twin bed with white sheets and a black comforter. The furniture was all black wood with silver handles. The walls were white and a small closet set in the wall opposite the bed, and beside that was a door to a bathroom. A bedside table, a vanity, and a set of drawers were the only other furniture besides the bed. Opening the closet I noted the neatly hung clothing and the perfectly lined up shoes.
Moving towards the bedside table I opened the drawers and looked at the neatly folded white cotton pajamas. Grabbing an out fit I moved towards the bathroom, dragging my bag with me. There was enough light in one of the windows for me to see that there was a toilet, sink, shower, mirror, and claw foot tub. There were beauty products lined up on the sink and a new toothbrush sat in a rinse cup.
Noting all of this I changed out of the fancy dress my parents had bought me and slid on the crisp white pajamas that the Rider’s School had given me. Next I released my hair from its braid, watching it sway in loose waves I quickly grabbed a brush from my bag and dragged it through my hair. Next I dragged my bag around the room dumping my things into drawers as I went.
Once I was satisfied with the state of my new room I collapsed onto the bed and closed my eyes, already realizing that I had a very busy, and exciting day, ahead of me.