Sequel: Hello

Centuries

E L E V E N

“I understand your hesitance, Mr. Riley. Signing a contract with this many parameters is a very big move. I promise you that Mikaelson Publishing is not going anywhere any time soon.” Her hands were folded on the table in front of her, eyes focused on the screen of the television hanging on the wall. A man with a mole the size of her thumbnail on his cheek gazed at her with steely blue eyes. The thinning grey hair he sported was combed over the balding part of his head.

“Your reputation does exceed our expectations.” His eyes drifted down to the file he was holding in his chubby hands. Winnifredtook a deep breath through her nose to keep her irritation from showing. “How soon would this set in motion?”

“We are aiming for middle November. We would start the advertising and interviews by the end of that month.” Leaning back in her chair she smiled softly to the older man. “All we need is a signature.”

“Well Ms. Mikaelson,” his voice went up an octave, “I’ll send this up to Gregory and have him fax it to you once he’s read it over.” Though relief washed over her, she showed no sign of it. Merely nodding she said a quick goodbye and pressed the end button on the video call. A loud groan escaped her as she dropped her head into her hands.

Slowly pushing herself away from the table she hit the switch turning off the overhead and exited the room. The glass door closed silently behind her, the echo of her shoes hitting the floor the only noise surrounding her. Several wall lights illuminated the path for her as she made her way back to her office. Casting a glance out the wall length windows she felt the wave of tiredness rush over her. The moon was full in the distance with cars swerving and honking on the streets below. Running a hand through her hair she pushed open the wooden door to her office.

A television hanging on the wall provided the only light. Quickly her eyes scanned the top of the screen and her lips pulled upward. Small, red covered figures raced along the bottom of the television and she easily found the number she wanted.

’Toews handles the puck around the boards passing to Saad in front of the net, HE SCORES!’ Winnie plopped down in her chair and kicked her feet up on the corner of her desk. The United Center erupted in cheers, Chelsea Dagger beginning to play in the background. Absently grabbing a pen she twirled the object in her fingers. ’With 32 seconds left in the third period the Blackhawks have taken the lead!’ The clock ticked down until the final horn blared in the arena, the announcers describing the final plays with excitement.

She should’ve been at that game, and the one before that, but returning from the vacation had left her little time to even be home, let alone attend. She had given the tickets to Keziahknowing full well her friend would go see her boyfriend play. Glancing at the duffle bag in the corner of the room Winnie shook her head softly. She was running out of clothes to change in to.

Her phone vibrated loudly on top of a notebook, KezzieBoo lighting up the screen. Taking the device into her hand she swiped the screen and held it up to her ear. “I know.”

“Can you believe it?!” Winnie ripped the phone from her head wincing. “We fucking came back to win!”

“If you were any louder I could hang up and still hear you.” The brunette rubbed at her eyes.

“Are you still at the office?” Keziah’s voice dramatically lowered. Winnie pursed her lips.

“Of course I am.”

“Are you coming home ever again?” Winnie could sense the sadness in her best friends voice.

“I do come home more often than you think. You’re just either too busy boinking your boyfriend in your room or in his to realize it.”

“Boinking?” Keziah snorted. “Who even says that?”

“Me. Now, are you going out for drinks to celebrate their win or what’s the plan?” Winnie tapped the end of the pen against the desk.

“I think a couple of the guys are going. The Lion’s Head was mentioned earlier today.”

“Ugh,” Winnie grumbled, “that place is terrible.”

“They love the wings.” Keziah chewed her gum loudly.

“I know they do.” Using the remote to turn off the television the brunette stretched her legs out. “I’m packing up my things. Let me know where you’re meeting and I’ll consider blessing you with my presence.”

“Blessing me or a certain captain?”

“Who?”

“Don’t play dumb! I know something happened in Florida!”

“I have no idea what you are implying.” Winnie threw the duffle bag over her shoulder.

“Ever since we got back both of you have been awkward and as funny as it is to watch, you’re going to have to face him eventually.”

“Or I can stay here at work and ignore you for the rest of my life.”

“Not possible.” Keziah laughed. “Besides, Patrick misses you too.”

“That’s a load of shit,” Winnie barked out. Locking her office door she headed for the elevator lobby.

“It’s true! He asks about you every day.”

“Yeah, okay.” Stepping into the elevator she hit the ‘L’ button. “I’m in the elevator so I might lose you.”

“Hold on I just got a text.” Winnie leaned against the metal wall and shut her eyes. “Change of plans. Pizza and beer at their apartment.”

“Even better.” Nodding to the security guard holding open the door for her, Winnie instantly wished she had put on a jacket. The wind nipped at her skin making her shiver. “I’ll be home in a bit. Please refrain from sexual intercourse in our place tonight. It’ll be loud enough in theirs to mask your pleasure.”

“I am not that loud!”

“Ha!” Tossing the bag into her backseat she started her car. “Tell that to my iPod playing on repeat through the night.”

“You’re just mad because you’re not having hot and wild sex with Toews.” Winnie heard another voice in the background. “Patrick said he can arrange your fantasy.”

“Tell Patrick I’ll shave his head if anyone says anything to Jon.”

“How come you haven’t come to a home game since we came back?” Winnie let her head fall to the steering wheel.

“Hello to you too Patrick.”

“Is it because you told him about wearing your favorite player’s jersey?”

“Do you guys literally tell each other everything?”

“We are roommates.” Sitting upright she glanced into the rearview mirror.

“I haven’t come to a game because I’ve been stuck at work. Your girlfriend can vouch for me.” Setting the phone in the cup holder she let the Bluetooth kick on.

“Well Jon looks at your seat with anticipation to see the number that we both know he already wears.”

“Shut your pie hole,” Winnie snapped. She pulled out onto the street. “We agreed to never speak of that in public.”

“He’s going to find out eventually.”

“And when he does I’ll permanently move into my office and you can move in Kez.”

“I don’t want to live with a boy!” Winnie chuckled listening to Patrick and the strawberry blonde muffled argument.

“I’ll leave you two to battle this out on your own. I’ll see you at the gathering of testosterone.” Ending the call before either could say anything she relished the silence that followed.

Image

Winnie could hear the music before the elevator doors opened. Squeezing through the throng of people mingling just on the other side of the opening she ventured toward the entrance of the party. Brent Seabrook extending a one arm hug to her that she easily returned, the red cup in his hand sloshing with beer.

“Jon’s been looking for you!”

“What a shame that I live right downstairs!” Winnie took a cup that was handed to her and sipped the alcohol. Brent’s eyes were glazed over and his cheeks were red.

“At the games. He always looks over at your seat on the bench.” Not sure on how to respond she took another drink and ducked into the apartment. A rap song she had never heard blasted through the walls. She weaved around people she had never seen, said a few hellos to the players she had grown used to, and spotted her friend at the beer pong table in the middle of the living room. Keziah tossed the white ball into a cup effortlessly, Patrick glaring at her from the opposite side.

“Drink up lover boy.” Keziah batted her long lashes as he downed the cup and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. She high fived Brandon Saad who was standing next to her.

“Winnie!” The curly haired blonde shouted her name. Several heads turned toward her and she smirked behind the rim of her cup. “Get over here and help me win!”

“Am I chopped liver?” Kris Versteeg threw his hand out.

“No offense Pat, but you’re losing 5 cups to one,” Winnie pointed out after a quick count. “You’ll need more help than I can provide.”

“Just get over here and throw the ball.” Versteeg was muttered under his breath when Winnie passed him and she frowned slightly. Taking the ping pong ball from Patrick she rolled it in her palm.

“House rules?”

“Sniper, troll, and explosion.” Patrick made his shot, his roar of triumph turning a few heads. Brandon lifted the cup to his lips and chugged, the cup lowering to his chest for him to take a breath. Winnie aimed her shot at his chin and sunk the ball into the cup, beer splashing onto his face. Keziah’s eyes went wide at the same time Saad looked down. “That’s an automatic win! We win!” He threw his arms around Winnie who couldn’t stop the laugh from spilling out of her mouth. Keziah started yelling at Brandon using wide arm gestures.

“Drink up!” Winnie lifted her cup for an ‘air’ toast and received the middle finger from her roommate.

“This is not over. I want a re-match!”

“And tarnish my perfect record? I think I’ll pass.” Winnie stepped away from the table. She barely took two steps before Keziah was in front of her. “Don’t be a sore loser.”

“You cheated.”

“I threw the ball!” Winnie moved around the girl and headed for the kitchen.

“Don’t walk away from me!” She could feel the shorter girl shadowing her.

“I’m going to throw away my cup then use the bathroom. Would you like to hold my hand while I do so?”

"You and I are going to discuss this untold skill of yours." Keziah pointed a finger at the brunette before turning on her heel. Winnie chugged the rest of the beer and tossed the cup into the garbage. Wiping her hands onto her jeans she found her way to the guest bathroom. Frowning when she found it locked she clicked her tongue.

"Jon's bathroom is open. Second door on the right," Duncan Keith offered when he saw Winnie glancing around. "Just finished washing my hands." Wiggling his fingers at her she smiled.

"Thanks."

Slowly pushing open the bedroom door she peered through the opening first. Tan carpet spread out in front of her, the soft flooring melting around her toes. Trying her best not to gaze at whatever she could she made sure to lock the bathroom door behind her. A standing shower was blocked by four glass panes, the shelves littered with shampoo and shave gel. The counter was a white marble that flowed into the white tiled wall. Square dark blue pieces popped up in random patterns to match the tiles of the shower. The toilet seat was propped up and she scrunched her nose setting it down. Scrubbing her hands with the foam soap she found, Winnie took a moment to appreciate how clean the bathroom was.

Shutting off the light she opened the door. A nearly naked Jon whipped around in front of his closet with wild eyes. Instantly she turned red and covered her face, the image of his toned thighs still burning her eyes, her heart beating frantically in her chest.

"Sorry! I didn't know you were changing."

"I didn't know you were in my bathroom." His voice was tight in his throat.

"The other one was taken and Duncan said yours was open." Peaking through her fingers she watched him bend to pull his pants up his legs. When he popped up she closed the gap. "I put the seat back up."

"Thanks I guess." He pulled a shirt over his head. "You can look now."

"Again, sorry," she said quickly. Moving to the closed door she had her hand on the knob when he spoke.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?" She stared at a spot on the door to avoid looking at him. Hearing his footsteps she dropped her hand to her side.

"You know what."

"Did it mean anything? To you?" Facing him she crossed her arms. He ran a hand through his short hair and huffed.

"Did it to you?"

"I mean we were drunk." She watched him nod in agreement. "And when people are drunk they do silly things."

"I guess it's a matter of if we want it to mean anything." Jon mimicked her stature and she bit the inside of her cheek.

"I don-" Winnie was knocked to the side by the door swinging open. Hitting the wall she felt a pain shoot through her arm.

"What are you two doing in here alone?" Patrick looked between the two of them skeptically.

"We were having a grown up conversation until you assaulted me." Winnie rubbed her shoulder. "The hell do you want?"

"Kezzie is demanding a rematch and I came searching for you."

"And you thought to look here?" Jon raised a brow to his friend.

"Last place I checked, honestly. Seems I was right." The smile on his lips made Winnie's skin crawl.

"Tell your girlfriend she should prepare to ultimate annihilation." Winnie glanced at Jon. "She's mad that we beat her."

"Kaner beat Kez at beer pong?"

"It was more Winnie sniping a cup but she was on my team so yes." The three of them walked out into the hall. "What were you two talking about?"

"Nothing really," Winnie answered. Jon brushed his hand against hers and she looked at him. They stood staring at each other for a few seconds before Keziah appeared out of nowhere.

"You two can eye fuck later. Right now I have a game to play!" Tugging on Winnie's arm the brunette shot Jon a sad smile. "What was that about?"

"Nothing. I think." Turning her attention to the table she watched Patrick and Brandon fill the cups on either side with cans of beer. Rubbing her hands together she snatched one of the balls out of Keziah's hand. "Ready to be embarrassed?"

"Bring it on girlfriend."

The game was the center of the party twenty minutes later. Winnie and Patrick had won two games in a row making Keziah more determined than ever. Cheers went up every time a cup was claimed, the opposing team sloshing down their beverages. Keziah kept her eyes on Winnie as she shot. Patrick could barely stand up straight let alone make it in, his cries of protest slurring more with each drink. Both teams had one cup standing and Winnie watched in horror as Patrick missed again.

"Come on partner!" He slapped a hand into her shoulder and squeezed. "Finish them!"

Shaking his hand off she rolled her neck around. Her body was buzzing from the alcohol and she could sense Jon staring from her right. Someone else walked into the room stealing some of the spotlight from the table.

"Marshall!" Versteeg's voice filled the room, the music having been stopped the last game so Keziah could concentrate. Several more heads turned in the newcomers direction.

"Hell of a win tonight boys!"

Winnie took her shot and missed by over a foot, her hand slamming into the table. Her entire body went from hot to cold as she stood rigidly. Keziah threw her shot and sunk it, arms flying into the air in triumph. Winnie was too distracted looking in the direction the voice had come from. Somewhere deep down inside she already knew who it was but a small piece of her wanted it to be wrong. Wanted the voice to be fake. Keziah saw the panic on her friends face and followed her gaze.

"Holy shit, is that Winnie Mikaelson?" Every inch of Winnie's skin set on fire as a pair of green eyes fell on her. Jon slowly picked up on the sudden tension filling the room. "How the hell did you get this prude to come to a party?!"

"She's my girlfriends roommate." Patrick slung his arm around Winnie's shoulders. "Do you two know each other."

"Know each other? I nearly married the crazy bitch."

Before she knew what she was doing Winnie felt pain explode in her hand. Keziah leaped forward to pull the brunette back as the guy brought his hands up to his now bleeding nose.

"Fuck you!" Winnie barely recognized her own voice. "And fuck you." Spitting her words toward Jon she glared at him. "Fuck you for bringing him here. Is this your idea of a joke? To prove the kiss meant nothing?"

"Winnie I-"

"She's crazy!" Marshall nodded toward the two girls. "I didn't even do anything."

"Oh that's rich coming from an abusing bastard!" Winnie shook off Keziah's hold on her and laughed. "Ruined anybody else's life lately Adam?"

"Come on let's go," Keziah whispered grabbing onto her arm again.

"Wait a second, you're the Adam?" Patrick studied the dirty blonde in front of him still holding his nose.

"I don't know what she's told you guys but none of it is true."

If Keziah hadn't been pulling Winnie out of the room she would've lunged at him. Stumbling out into the hall she fought the tears burning her eyes. She didn't want to hear his voice or see his face, to relive the torture another time.

"Pooh bear?" Keziah stood directly in front of her.

"I can't do it Kez. I can't."

"Ok, ok," she replied. Looking down the hall she furrowed her brow. "You want to go for a walk?"

"I need to breathe." Shoving away from the wall she tangled her fingers into her hair. "I need to get out of here."

"Let me get my things," Keziah gestured over her shoulder.

"No, just, I want to be alone." Winnie saw the flash of hurt in Keziah's eyes. "I'm sorry."

Not looking over her should Winnie practically jogged down the hall and burst through the stairwell door. Her feet carried her down the flights of stairs while her hand glided along the railing. Tears poured into her cheeks that she angrily wiped away.

This time the cold air was a blessing against her skin, a passing woman jumping in surprise when Winnie flew out the door. Her hair snapped in the wind as she ran down the sidewalk ignoring the crossing signals of the stop lights. Cars swerved around her until she reached the fence of the beach.

Hopping over the closed gate for cars she slowed to a walk. Her head fell backward and she stared up at the star filled sky. Doubling over suddenly she felt her stomach muscles contract and the contents spilled onto the sand. She fell to her hands and knees vomiting until it hurt. When the nausea subsided she rolled onto her back and let the sobs take over her body.

She cried herself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well then.

I enjoy your thoughts.

A.