Sequel: Hello

Centuries

T W E L V E

Keziah marched with her head high down the long hallway. She ignored the curious glances from the surrounding offices. Her strawberry blonde hair was tucked into a neatly braided bun at the base of her neck and her make-up was mostly natural to enhance her porcelain tone. Her small black heels clicked along the floor with her leg muscles flexing with each step. Her hand twisted the knob of a door leading to a small office just outside of her best friends’.

“Can I help you?” Keziah jumped slightly at the male voice, her eyes darting to the new face behind the desk. His skin was tan, blue eyes sparkled, and his smile was almost charming enough to stop her in her tracks.

“I’m here to see Winnie.” She surged forward to pull on the handle of the swinging door.

“Do you have an appointment?” Letting out a slow breath she turned back to the boy with pursed lips.

“Listen randomly gorgeous boy behind a desk, I am on a very important mission to discuss business with Winnie. I do not need an appointment.”

“Anyone who wishes to see Ms. Mikaelson requires an appointment.” He typed something on the computer and smiled softly at the girl. “I can put your name down for a request.”

“You’ve got to be kidding.” Keziah’s shoulders dropped in annoyance. “Who are you anyway?”

“I’m Lucas, Ms. Mikaelson’s new personal assistant.” The dark blue shirt stretched across his shoulders as he sat up straight. “May I have your name to put you down for a request?”

“Lucas.” Both of their eyes shot to the phone on his desk. Winnie’s voice crackled over the speaker. “I can hear her shrill tone from in here. Send her in.”

“Shrill?!” Keziah tugged on the door with a new found energy. Pointing a finger at the brunette lounging in her office chair she scowled. “I am not shrill!”

“Thank you Lucas.” Winnie twirled a pen in her fingers and kicked her legs up onto the desk. “To what do I owe you for this most outrageous visit?”

“First off, you haven’t answered your phone all morning. Secondly, since when do you have a personal assistant?”

Winnie shrugged. “Dad said it would help prioritize.”

“You spoke to your dad?” Keziah’s anger quickly deflated. Plopping down in one of the leather seats in front of Winnie’s desk she bit the inside of her cheek.

“Had to discuss the numbers for the new buildings. Florida is doing very well and Chicago has increased by thirteen percent in the last month.” Winnie dropped the pen on her desk and let her head fall back. “Only business. Never family.”

“Well he’s at least interested in how you’re fairing.” Keziah picked at the hem of her skirt. “How are you fairing?”

“I just told you,” Winnie said slowly. Keziah shook her head giving Winnie a knowing glare.

“You know what I’m talking about.”

“I’m casually avoiding that subject. Do you want any coffee? A bagel?” Winnie hit a button on her phone. Not a minute later the door to her office opened and Lucas stepped in. “Would you be a doll and run to Starbucks for me?”

“Sure thing ma’am. Would you like anything Ms. Lewis?” Keziah felt her neck flush.

“No thanks. I’m fine.” Ducking out of the room Winnie smirked. “He’s dangerous.”

“Harmless really.” Winnie waved off her statement. “You’ve got Patty cakes to keep you entertained.”

“And you’ve got a bodacious babe for an assistant while Captain Serious strives to get your attention.” Winnie groaned at the mention of the hockey player. “You knew I would bring it up eventually.”

“I was hoping to keep this conversation at home.”

“It’s kind of hard to do that when you’re never there.” Keziah popped her lips and Winnie sighed. “He’s worried about you. We all are.”

“Yes, I know, it was very careless of me to sleep on the beach in forty degree weather. I survived, no ailments, and have been working day and night to get these contracts rolling. I’m busier than usual.” Winnie brought her legs to the floor and tucked them under the desk. “It’s been like two weeks.”

“Three. It’s been three.” Keziah pulled out the vibrating phone from the pocket of her pea coat. “You know he’s been playing like total shit too.”

“You can’t possibly blame that on me!” Winnie ran her hands through her hair. Keziah typed away on her phone before placing the device in her lap.

“You’re the only thing that has changed. You haven’t been to a game in who knows how long and ever since the party he hasn’t been the same. He’s stricter, harder on the guys, and secludes himself.”

“That’s his own fault. Boo hoo someone yelled at him.”

“It’s not just someone. It’s you.” Keziah stood from the chair and straightened out her clothes. “I have to get back to the office. You know Patrick’s birthday dinner is tomorrow night and you’re inclined to go as my best friend. But if you’d rather sulk in your office instead of facing the issue and getting over it, I’m sure he’ll understand.”

“Kez,” Winnie called after her friend. She stood at the door and took a deep breath.

“I know you guys kissed. That much is obvious. But the fact that you would rather hide in here than talk to me about it proves that you’re not over what happened with Adam. You don’t trust people and you’re scared to let someone else in.”

“It didn’t mean anything. We were drunk and it was stupid.”

“Clearly.” Keziah rolled her eyes. Opening the door she stepped to the side when Lucas appeared with two coffee’s in his hands. She gave him a tight lipped smile and left. His brow was furrowed as he set the coffee down on Winnie’s desk.

“Is everything alright?”

“Take a seat.” Winnie lifted the cup to her lips and let the coffee swirl in her mouth. Lucas slowly lowered himself into the chair looking uncomfortable. “Let me ask you something. Hypothetically.”

“Ok.”

“Say you were living with your best friend who was dating a famous athlete. We’ll go with women’s soccer. Said famous athlete had a friend who was single. You with me?” He nodded. “You got out of a bad relationship months ago, but it left you weak and uncertain about yourself. Single friend and you don’t get along right away because your egos are too big to fit into the room together.”

“Are we talking about you?” His confusion was written on his face.

“I’m not done.” He muttered an apology. “You and this friend finally start getting along and maybe somewhere you start feeling more than just angst toward this person. They show interest in weird ways, sticking up for you at a dinner, possible flirting on a business trip. Now your best friend and his girl are totally head over heels for each other so it’s hard not to want what they have. You still with me?”

“I think so.”

“If you and single friend kissed, whether you were drunk or sober, would it mean something?”

“That depends. Did you talk to him about it?” Lucas leaned forward in the seat. Winnie side glanced toward him and quickly shook her head.

“I may or may not have accused him of inviting my ex to a party as a ploy to get me to think it meant nothing because I’m scared that it does mean something.” Wiping her face slowly with the palm of her hand she sighed again. “I’m out of line asking you about this. I’m sorry.”

Standing up Lucas watched Winnie busy herself with papers, her demeanor flat and exhausted. Tapping his fingers on the edge of her desk he took a break. “Being scared of something new isn’t bad. It’s human. Pushing the people who care about you most away is bad. If you shut down, he wins. The one who hurt you. Because in the end he wants you to suffer and right now you’re letting him do just that.”

“That’s all, Lucas.” Winnie didn’t look up until the sound of her door closing echoed off the wall. The papers fell limp in her hands. Walking to the window overlooking the city she leaned against the glass resting her forehead on her arm.
Image

“I’d like to make a toast.” Keziah stood from the long table gently tugging the skirt of her dress down to cover her thighs. The black fabric hugged her hips and finished in a off-the-shoulder fashion. Her long hair was curled and pinned out of her face allowing her eyes to pass over every face carefully. Patrick gazed up at her with a wide grin. Taking a drink of wine out of the glass in her hand she listened to the men chuckle. “As most of you know I came to this city earlier this summer on a whim. I moved in with a girl whom I quickly befriended that introduced me to a world I never knew existed. I managed to stumble across a team that acts more like a family than my own.

“It’s not a secret that Patrick and I bonded over a game of beer pong. Nor is it a secret that our relationship kind of sprouted like a flower on steroids. I am, however, thankful to be a part of this community, this family, and watching you work together and support each other along the way. Thank you for accepting me and allowing me to have this blonde bundle of joy.”

“To Patrick!” Brent Seabrook called out raising his glass. A chorus of ‘to Patrick’ followed and Keziah smiled down at her boyfriend. She squealed when his arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her down onto his lap.

“Do you know how hard it is to keep my hands to myself when you say those things?” His breath was hot on her neck and she felt his fingertips graze her inner thigh.

“Hey you two,” Marian Hossa teased. “Save it for the bedroom.”

“Oh I am.” Keziah slapped at his hand and he nipped at her ear. Moving back to her chair she took finished the wine in her glass and set it on the table. For the third time that night her eyes searched for the familiar brunette.

“Stop looking for her.” Keziah turned to Andrew Shaw sitting on her left. “If she wants to come, she’ll come.”

“I’m kind of hoping she doesn’t.” Her eyes fell to the brunette boy across the table chatting to the petite blonde he had brought with. Patrick insisted there was nothing going on between the two of them though the whispering and laughs were hard to miss.

“Maybe it would be good for the both of them. Have the blow up we are all waiting for.”

“Kaner!” Keziah nearly choked on her drink. “Happy birthday bro!”

“Mars-Adam.” Patrick corrected himself standing. The blondes shared the typical guy hug and Adam clapped his hand on Patrick’s shoulder.

“Thanks for having me. I was afraid after the whole Winnie incident things would be rocky. What happened between us is long gone.”

“You invited him?” Keziah hissed. Patrick glanced down at her.

“I sent out the invite before the whole situation. I couldn’t take it back.”

“Of course you can take it back you idiot!” She felt a hand on her arm and whirled around to see Andrew holding back his laugh.

“Calm down killer.” She huffed slightly and crossed her arms.

“I would’ve brought a gift with me but I’m a little short in my pocket.” Adam grimaced but Patrick nodded his head.

“That’s not the only thing you’re short in.” Jonathan coughed, the piece of steak caught in his throat, and Keziah instantly brightened. Adam glared at the girl walking around the table. The black blouse she wore was open to expose the white under shirt, her tanned legs practically falling from the black skirt on her waist. “Sorry I’m late. Did I miss anything?”

“Not at all.” Patrick hugged Winnie tight. “Thanks for coming.”

“And miss out on my best friend’s boyfriends birthday?” Winnie smiled down at Keziah. “Nothing is that important.”

“Funny, I thought work was the most important thing in your life?” Adam pulled at the green tie around his neck and sat down opposite of Patrick. Winnie graciously took the seat Andrew offered next to Keziah and adjusted to the table.

“That’s only because I was trying to get away from you.” Winnie stole a look in Jon’s direction and saw the way the blonde girl was rubbing his back. He coughed a couple more times before taking a long drink from his glass.

“Want anything to eat?” Keziah leaned toward Winnie. “Other than the heart of man?”

“I came straight from the office,” Winnie muttered. Her fingers gripped the stem of the wine glass and she sipped from it. “I had four conference calls and a video call from London.”

“How is Lucas?” Winnie kicked at Keziah’s leg. Jon’s jaw tightened.

“Who’s Lucas?” Patrick voiced.

“My new personal assistant. Lovely fellow really. Holds up his end pretty well.” Snatching the fork out of Keziah’s hand she stuffed the lettuce from her salad into her mouth.

“Since when do you need a personal assistant?” Adam sneered.

“Dad thought it would be best. You know, always looking out for the business.” She washed down the rest of the salad with water. “Are you going to eat that?” Keziah pushed the plate in front of her friend. “Who do you guys play next?”

“Nashville,” Jon and Patrick said at the same time. Winnie chomped down on spinach leaves and glanced between the two.

“I always love when you guys play that team. I’ll have to swing by a game,” Adam stated.

“Sorry, you have to buy tickets in order to go to a game.” Winnie pointed her fork toward him. “Unless of course you’re in the midst of corrupting another brand name company.”

“I didn’t corrupt anything. It’s not my fault you couldn’t handle criticism and scurried away.”

“Is that what you call it? Criticism?” All conversation at the table had stopped, the center of attention now on the two adults. “I must have missed that lessen in school. How to tear apart a person’s self-esteem by beating them down with names and guilt.”

“Poor Winnie, never taught to have a back bone. Cry me a fucking river.”

“I think it’s time for you to leave.” Jon set down his napkin slowly, dark eyes fixated on Adam. He stopped mid-bite and scoffed.

“She’s been snipping at me since she walked in here.” He pointed to Winnie. “If anything, she should leave.”

“The last time I checked,” Jon leaned forward with his arms on the table, “I didn’t give a flying fuck what you think. Winnie is part of our team now and that means you have to go.”

“You’re serious.” Adam looked from the captain to Patrick, both of their faces firm and unmoving. “Unbelievable. You’re something else, you know that?” He threw his napkin onto a plate and shoved the chair back. “Always finding a way to turn people against me.”

“You do that on your own, asshat,” Keziah spat. Winnie couldn’t stop the corners of her lips from pulling upward. “Do us all a favor and don’t come back.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jon get that angry,” Brandon Saad whispered. Winnie looked down at the table cloth, a blush rising in her cheeks.

“To family!” Shaw had a glass raised in the air, the rest of the team following his lead. Winnie smiled at Keziah and took the glass in front of her. She could feel the pair of chocolate brown eyes on her skin as they called out ‘to family’ together. It wasn’t until she took a drink of the dark liquid that she let herself meet his gaze from across the table. Her phone vibrated in the clutch tucked under her thigh and she dug through her things.

A single text popped up on the screen that made her stomach lurch.

It meant something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Oh hello there.

Image

A.