Sequel: Hello

Centuries

F O U R T E E N

Winnie stood on her tip toes sticking out her tongue in concentration. The string of lights dangling from her fingers was proving harder to hang than she would’ve liked. Stretching as far as she could go she was able to overlap the string with the hook. Clapping her hands together she let her eyes traveling the length of the window decorations. ’It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas’ started to play softly from the Bose speaker she had set up on the coffee table. Her body swayed to the music stepping off the chair and pushing it back toward the island window. Plugging in the string of lights she squealed in delight as the multi-colored bulbs came to life.

There was no denying that Christmas was her favorite time of the year. Winnie absolutely loved being able to hang ornaments on a tree and put presents under the branches. This was the first time since she had moved to Chicago that she would be able to spend it with someone and it fueled her even more.

A timer went off in the kitchen and she hurried around the counter top. Slipping on the oven mit she pulled open the oven door and let the smell of fresh baked cookies fill the room. Seeing the golden brown edges she removed the cookie sheet and set it on top of the stove, her free hand moving to turn off the oven. With her bare foot she kicked the door up and shut.

“It looks like Santa’s elves threw up in our apartment.” Winnie looked over her shoulder to find a very disgruntled looking Keziah. Tossing her bag onto the floor and her keys into the bowl they had designated months before, the strawberry blonde fell onto the couch.

“What’s got the Grinch all up in your business?” Winnie waved the spatula in the air for effect. She had gotten a plate decorated with reindeer and proceeded to place the shaped cookies onto it.

“I just haven’t had a good day.”

“Have you even been home in two days?” When she got no response Winnie continued. “Do you want to talk about it?” After all the cookies had been put onto the plate she quietly made her way to her best friend.

“I just don’t get it. Why are boys so afraid of girls sticking up for them?” Keziah shot up into a sitting position and searched Winnie’s surprised face for an answer. “Why is it so bad?”

“Maybe because in hind sight men are always supposed to look after their women. It’s a stereotype that has been built into our DNA.”

“It’s bullshit.” Keziah let her head fall back.

“What happened?” Winnie paused the music on her phone silencing the room. Setting herself on the edge of the coffee table she watched Keziah struggle to come up with the words. “Is it Patrick?”

“Of course it’s Patrick,” Keziah sneered. “He’s a little fucking shit head.”

“Doesn’t mean you can be a bitch to me about it,” Winnie snapped back.

“Sorry,” Keziah rubbed her face and let out a little scream. “I just, I’m very frustrated mentally and physically.”

“Wait a minute,” Winnie stood up with her hand in front of her. “You didn’t purposely try to pick a fight, right? There is a legit reason for this?”

“I was feeling antsy,” Keziah admitted quietly. Winnie groaned out loud.

“Kezzie! You did this for sex!”

“I do everything for sex!” She threw her arms into the air. “I like sex!”

“Well clearly it worked out for you this time.” Winnie started to pace the floor. “What did you do?”

“Why does it come down to me doing something?”

“Do I have to repeat what you said fifteen seconds ago?” The brunette glared at her friend who shrunk down further in the cushions. “What did you do?”

“We went to a club last night with Saad and one of his girlie friends. I may have had one too many to drink and some guy tried to put his hands on me but Patrick intercepted. They started to get into it and I shoved the guy away from Pat so he wouldn’t do anything stupid.

“Well that sparked up a whole new slew of bullshit out of this guys mouth and I told him to get the fuck out and he chirped to Patrick about being such a pussy that a woman has to fight his battles. Thankfully by that time Saad had walked over and the guy backed off. The whole way back home Patrick was quiet and I tried to say something but he gave me this, look. Like I had gone too far.”

“He’s holding out on you for that?” Winnie couldn’t wrap her mind around the images in her head.

“No. Once we got back to his place I poked a little further trying to spark up his aggressive side. But that didn’t work out. We spent three hours yelling back and forth about me defending myself and then degrading him by shoving that guy out of the way. I hurt his image, his ego. It wasn’t even about that for me.” By now thick tears were rolling down her cheeks. “He told me to get out. He’s never done that before Win. Never.”

Winnie dropped down onto the couch by her friend and pulled the girl into her. Her body shook with sobs and Winnie rubbed her arms gently. “I just didn’t want him to do anything stupid to get fined. Not for something over me.”

“I know honey,” Winnie cooed. She moved the thick hair out of the girls face and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. “It’ll be okay.”

“I don’t know what to do.” Keziah took a shaky breath. “I don’t know what to say to him.”

“I’m going to take care of it.” Winnie rocked back and forth slowly. “I promise everything is going to be okay.”

Image

Jonathan was sprawled out on the couch flipping through channels when someone knocked on the door. Tossing the remote onto the cushion he pushed himself up. His heavy footsteps echoed off the small hallway and he pulled open the door just as Winnie was raising her fist again. Jon took in the large t-shirt and loose pair of shorts on her body and smiled at her.

“Hello there.” Giving her a quick kiss he moved out of the way for her to enter. “Why do you smell like cookies?”

“I just made a fresh batch,” she answered peering around the corner into the kitchen. “Is Patrick home?”

“I think he’s in the shower.” His brow furrowed when she headed toward the bathroom. “What are you doing?”

“Catching him off guard,” Winnie said throwing open the bathroom door seconds later. Steam rolled up from the floor and engulfed the entire space. Patrick stood naked in the shower rubbing his chest with a cloth. His jumped in surprise once the door hit the wall and attempted to cover himself up. “You fucking idiot!”

“Winnie! I’m in the shower!” Patrick couldn’t figure out which way to turn without exposing some part of himself to her. Jon reached for her arm but she dodged his grasp. Yanking the shower door open the blonde boy swatted at her hands. “Stop it!” Winnie ignored the hot water running down her legs and latched her fingers into his ear. “What the hell woman!”

“I’m going to give you three minutes to explain to me what the hell happened between you and Kezzie before I start kicking your ass!” She shoved him toward the door where Jon side stepped to avoid contact.

“Winnie,” Jon held a warning tone but she glared at him.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Patrick said rubbing his ear with one hand and covering himself with the other. “But I’m extremely uncomfortable standing here naked with you in my proximity.”

“That’ll be the least of your worries unless you start talking.”

“Can I be slightly offended that you’ve seen Patrick naked before you’ve seen me?” Jon half-whispered.

“You guys haven’t had sex yet?” Patrick’s interest perked but Winnie let out a huff of anger.

“Both of you, shut up!” Pointing at Jon she waved her arm to the left. “You, leave. You,” she whirled back to Patrick, “tell me why my best friend is tearing herself up over your stupid ass.”

“Can I at least put shorts on?” He nodded to the pile of clothes on the edge of the marble counter top and Winnie narrowed her eyes at him. “I’ll come out into the living room I swear.”

Winnie was pacing again in front of the television making it impossible for Jon to watch anything. He wasn’t sure what to do or say, the girl in front of him not allowing him to talk, so he opted to scroll through his phone while he waited. Patrick emerged from his room with floppy wet hair and fully clothed. He stepped around the table to be out of arms length of the brunette now glaring at him.

“So what is this about?” Patrick made to sit on the couch next to Jon but Winnie snapped her fingers at him.

“You don’t get to sit.” Her heart was pounding against her chest. “You arrogant son of a bitch.”

“I don’t have to stand here and listen to you call me names.”

“Oh I’m sorry, does that hurt your precious little ego? Make you feel less manly?” Her tone had both men’s attention.

“What the fuck is this coming from?” Patrick started to raise his voice.

“From my best friend coming home upset and then broken because you’re too much of a fucking dickweed to let someone stand up for you!” She could feel the heat in her cheeks.

“This is about the club.” He rolled his eyes shaking his head. “She’s crying over that?”

“She’s crying over you, fucktard!” Winnie pulled at her hair. “She doesn’t know what to say to you.”

“How about, sorry for making you look like a wimp in front of a guy at the club? I had the situation handled just fine before she piped in.”

“Do you think maybe, somewhere in that wee little brain of yours, she did it for your benefit?” She had started to shake.

“How could that be for my benefit? That prick had another thing coming if she would’ve shut up.”

“You,” Winnie took a deep breath and shut her eyes, “you’re an idiot.”

“Why am I the idiot here?” Patrick looked at Jonathan for help but he merely shook his head. “She embarrassed me!”

“She helped you! She kept you from doing something stupid to get stuck in the tabloids or internet sites that would cost you money and a press release! She knew you would most likely rough up that guy so instead she did something stupid to protect you!”

“Why?”

“Because she loves you, you dumbass!” Winnie saw the emotions cross his face as she took deep breaths. “She did it because she cares about you, to protect your image not to hurt it.”

“She loves me?” Patrick slowly sat down on the couch and ran a hand through his still damp hair. “Are you sure?”

“It doesn’t matter if it’s love or not, she did something for someone else that she cares about to protect them. All you’ve proven to her is that you care more about your stupid image outside of the big picture to care about what’s inside of it.” She dropped her arms to her side and sighed. “Fix it. Now.”

She had just gotten to the door when Jon lightly touched her shoulder. Glancing at him she pursed her lips. “You did a good thing.”

“I verbally assaulted him.” Jon shrugged in response.

“He needed a wake up call.” She wrapped her arms around his middle and pressed her face into the crook of his neck. She felt his muscled arms snake around her back. “You’re a good friend.”

“So are you.”

“I wouldn’t burst into someone’s bathroom while they’re showering to get my point across.” Winnie laughed against him.

“I was seeing red, I had no control.” He pressed a kiss to her forehead and let her go.

“I’ll see you later tonight. I’m going to make sure he doesn’t try to do anything stupid.” Cupping her cheek he captured her lips, her body instantly relaxing. Brushing his thumb along her chin he smiled down at her.

“See you later,” Winnie said grinning at him. She brought her finger tips to her lips inside the elevator still tingling from his kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Even though this is from 2013, it's still pretty awesome.

Image
they are just the cutest!

Image
She's so pretty.

Image
Don't make Winnie mad man.

For Noelle, she has a headache. Love you boo!

A.