Sequel: Hello

Centuries

F I F T E E N

Lucas took a bite from the plate of sugar cookies on the corner of his desk. Several crumbs tumbled down the front of his dark blue sweater. Brushing them off lazily he typed the passcode into his computer to access his email. A loud commotion from the down the hall had him leaning in his chair to peer through the glass doors. A very excited Keziah rushed to the entrance throwing open the door. Her smile easily lit up the small space.

“Extremely handsome assistant,” she greeted. Her hair was braided around her head with small pieces framing her cheeks.

“Extremely excited friend of my boss.” He pointed to the plate of sweets. “Would you like a cookie?”

“Did Winnie give these to you?” He nodded. “Then I’ll have three.” Snatching two Santa shaped and one reindeer she let out a happy sigh. “Is she in there?”

“Indeed, but she hasn’t been in the greatest of moods.” Keziah pressed her palm into the door wedging it open slightly. “A contract was cancelled and she got a call from Jonathan that left her not very happy.”

“Do you know what it was about?” She lowered her voice biting the head off the Santa.

“If I did, I still wouldn’t be inclined to tell you,” he answered. She scoffed.

“What kind of an assistant are you?”

“The one that doesn’t spy on their boss?” He finished the cookie in his hand and typed a couple things. A message box popped up. “You can go in.”

“Thank you, Lucas.” Entering the office Keziah could already sense something was wrong. The television was off, no Christmas music was being played, and had she not seen the toes of her friend’s shoes sticking out from the corner of her desk, she would’ve believed Winnie was absent. Carefully moving along the carpeted flooring Keziah walked around the wooden desk. Winnie lay flat on her back staring at the ceiling with her phone resting on her stomach.

“Hi.”

“It’s more like low,” Keziah said smiling. “At least from down there.”

“I’m sulking.” Winnie scrunched up her nose.

“Why are you sulking on the floor?” Keziah took another bite from the cookie.

“It seemed better at first but now I’m just too lazy to get back up.”

“Sounds fair. Scoot.” Winnie wiggled her body to the right giving Keziah the space she needed to lay down next to her. “The cookies are fantastic by the way.”

“I make them every year. My grandmother’s recipe.” Feeling her phone vibrate Winnie lifted it finding another message on the lock screen. Grunting she let the phone drop back to her body.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Keziah munched loudly. Winnie turned her head making a face. “Sorry, they’re really good!”

“One of our international contracts was terminated this morning and no amount of negotiation will bring it back. My dad is having a heart attack over the whole thing so of course he’s taking it out on me because I can’t fix it.” Winnie brought the phone up to her face and swiped the screen to bring up the messages. Clicking on Jon’s name she shoved it toward Keziah. “Then there’s this.”

“We can exchange gifts after I return from the trip,” Keziah read slowly. “What trip?”

“The one he’s taking to go back home to spend Christmas with his family after the Canada series.” Rubbing her fingers along her face Winnie took a deep breath. “He’ll be gone from the 20th until the 26th.”

“Aren’t you going home for Christmas?” Keziah started on the reindeer but Winnie grabbed it out of her fingers and took a bite.

“I never go home for Christmas. Adam always went to visit his family and I would use work as an excuse to avoid traveling with him. It’s a wasted expense to listen to my dad talk non-stop about the company and how it’s doing while my mom pesters me about getting married. We open our gifts for an hour and then it’s back to the drinking and gossiping and I hate how there is no snow,” Winnie rambled. Her eyes went to the falling white powder outside the office window. “It’s prettier here.”

“Have you told Jon any of this?” Keziah nibbled on the last piece of Santa she had.

“Of course I haven’t. We just started, this,” she gestured with her hands in the air, “and I’m not going to be the needy girl who wants him to stay here with me. That would be rude and selfish. Besides I’ll have you to entertain.”

“Well,” Keziah’s voice lifted an octave drawing out the word. Winnie’s eyes dropped to hers and she frowned.

“You’re going home?”

“I’m going with Patrick to New York.” Winnie furrowed her brow. “He asked me this morning if I wanted to go. Said a certain someone talked some sense into his head and he apologized for being a douche.”

“That’s great!” Winnie sat up, her arms wrapping around Keziah when she followed suit.

“I know but now I don’t feel like I should go.” Keziah plucked a hair from Winnie’s blouse. “I don’t want you to be alone.”

“Are you kidding me? This is a great chance for you and Kaner!” Winnie hugged her again. “I’m happy he pulled his head out of his ass.”

“Did you really walk in on him in the shower?” The girls got to their feet and Winnie barked out a laugh. “Because I’m pretty sure he’s traumatized.”

“I had to get my point across,” the brunette replied with a shrug. “I was mad.”

“So you’re okay with this? Me going with him?” Keziah studied Winnie’s face.

“Of course I am. It’s not like I haven’t been by myself before. There will be movie marathons to occupy my time. I’ll be fine!”

“Yay!” Keziah clapped her hands together and did a mini dance. “I’m going with them to Canada and then flying straight to Buffalo with Patrick so we should do presents tomorrow before we leave.”

“Definitely.” Winnie braved another smile hugging Keziah. The buzzer from the phone broke them apart and she pushed the white button. “Yes?”

“Sorry to interrupt ma’am but Mr. Jennings is on line 2 for you,” Lucas’ voice carried through the office.

“Looks like I’ve got work to do.” Keziah gave her a nod. “I’ll see you at home. Please don’t be naked in the living room again.”

“That was one time!” Winnie laughed watching Keziah leave the office, her hand darting to steal another cookie from Lucas’ desk. The smile dropped from her face and she lifted the telephone to her ear. “What is it now Marucs? I don’t care. Get off your lazy fucking ass and get this new contract fixed or you’ll be spending Christmas vacation finding another job, do I make myself clear?” Slamming the receiver into the holder she spun around in a circle releasing an angry moan. “Lucas!”

He poked his head through the threshold. “Yes?”

“Cancel the rest of my meetings for today. If anybody calls, I’m unavailable.” Winnie felt the tears burning her eyes.

"Are you alright?" Lucas stepped fully into the room. Winnie took a deep breath through her nose and nodded.

"Not anything I'm not used to. Are you visiting family for Christmas?"

"Yes ma'am. Can't miss my mom's holiday ham." Lucas patted his stomach grinning. Nodding she lowered herself into her chair. "Are you sure you're alright?"

Winnie pushed her chair further from her desk and spun slowly. Her eyes fixated on the snowflakes trickling out of the sky. The hope that had filled her a week ago disappeared leaving the usually gaping hole in her chest. Lucas left the business woman to think, the door locking behind him. The phone in her lap vibrated for the umpteenth time. Pressing the power button she waited for the familiar instructions and set it face down on her desk.

All she wanted to do was curl up in a ball in her bed and watch the Santa Clause. Which she then realized she would be doing by herself, alone, on Christmas Day.

Winnie wiped away the single tear sliding down her cheek.

Image

The flat screen in the living room was on the third replay of Winnie’s favorite Christmas movie, the Santa Clause. Her hands were buried in flour mixing ingredients in the large red bowl she had already washed four times. Glancing at the timer on the oven she mentally noted she had three minutes left to mix the next batch.

Her face was caked with bits of dough, flour, gritty with sugar, and her hair was a nest on the top of her head. The large shirt covering her torso was a navy blue t-shirt she had stolen out of Jon’s closet before he left. Her tanned legs were bare down to her toes and the single pair of candy cane underwear covering her lady bits was riding up.

Four days by herself going stir crazy only meant one thing, she had to bake. The kitchen table was stock full of sugar cookies she had been baking since 7:00 AM. Her usual excitement for opening presents was deflated the moment she stepped out of the bedroom. The presents were absent from under the small tree she had set up because her friends were already gone.

She cursed once the timer beeped and she shook her hands free of the sweet mixture. Quickly rinsing off in the sink she shoved the oven mits on and removed the pan. She reset the timer for thirteen minutes and rushed back to the red bowl. Her mind whirled with ideas on how to get rid of the cookies. She couldn’t possibly eat them all by herself but she couldn’t just let them sit and go stale. Blowing a piece of hair away from her face she molded the dough in her palms.

’Baby you light up my world like nobody else, the way that you fl-‘ Winnie pressed a dirty finger to the volume button on her phone to silence it. Not seeing a towel near enough she wiped her hand on the front of the shirt and quickly answered the call.

“Hello?”

”Winnie! Merry Christmas!” Keziah’s voice filled her head and she smiled.

“Merry Christmas.” She cradled the phone between her face and shoulder slapping the dough onto a cutting board. Various cookie cutters littered the counter top.

”What are you up to?”

“Just you know,” Winnie looked at the table with a grimace, “baking cookies. How is New York?”

”Cold and snowy, kind of like Chicago.” There was shuffling and a loud smack. ”Sorry, Patrick is being a little handsy this morning.”

“When isn’t he?” Winnie snickered. “What did he get you?”

”Funny story actually. Remember that video you tried to blackmail me with?”

“I wouldn’t ever do that,” Winnie playfully scolded. “Okay yes, I remember.”

”Well, it turns out that my little peekaboo here knew about my other sporting habit and got me tickets for a Steelers, Patriots game. Considering his favorite team is the Patriots, it should prove fairly interesting on who survives that day.”

“It was fun while it lasted I guess,” Winnie muttered. She pressed a reindeer cutter into the dough and separated it. “What did you get him?”

”A signed Tom Brady jersey and an all access pass to my body for a day.” Winnie heard giggling and tried not to gag.

“Are you two really going to do this to me on Christmas? It’s bad enough you’re not here.” Winnie cut out three more reindeer before switching to candy canes.

”Yes, sorry. Have you heard from Jon?”

“Not yet. But it’s only,” she leaned back to look at the wall clock, “8 his time right now so he’s probably still sleeping.”

”Did you open his gift?”

“He said we would exchange once he got back, remember?” Winnie rubbed the bottom of her foot along her shin. “Didn’t want to give it to me too early.”

”Oh he’s going to give it to you.” Patrick’s scratchy voice clouded out Keziah’s. ”Will you shut up? Jesus.”

“What does that mean?” Winnie finished with the dough and sprayed the top of the cookies with butter.

”Nothing.” Keziah whispered something to Patrick. ”But sweetie I’m going to let you go. I know he’s going to love what you got him. I can’t believe you found an original copy of it.”

“Perks of publishing.” Winnie popped the pan into the oven and started the timer. “Don’t have too much sex today and be safe coming home, the roads are absolute shit.”

”I can’t guarantee anything on the first bit but the second I will abide by,” Keziah answered honestly.

“One more question,” Winnie said scratching the back of her neck. “What would you suggest I do with 24 batches of sugar cookies?”

”Dear Lord woman!” Keziah’s laugh was bubbly. ”Oh I don’t know, maybe set a plate out in front of neighbor’s doors? It would be a nice gesture.”

“I could actually do that,” Winnie agreed with a nod. “Okay. Thanks, I love you and tell Patrick my gift to him was you.”

”He knows. Love you too sweet cheeks!”

Winnie rushed into her bathroom to wash the gunk off her face and fingers, listening for the timer while attempting to run a brush through her hair. Digging through one of her drawers she found a pair of Santa pajama pants and pulled those over her legs. Looking herself over in the mirror she decided she wanted to keep the blue shirt on, mess and all, and hooked her bra under it. For the next five minutes she dug through her large closet moving boxes around and pushing things against the wall searching for the red painted wagon she had brought with her. The gift had been from her grandfather when she was 7 and she always kept the wagon with her. Just another thing Adam tore her down about.

For the next two hours Winnie carted the cookies behind her on every floor, the wagon only being able to hold three plates at a time safely. She set the cookies at the base of each door and knocked three times, disappearing back into the elevator before anyone could catch her. The last and final trip was wearing her down and the tires on the wagon had begun to squeal. Setting the final plate in front of the door she knew belonged to the doorman, she waited until he answered the door to leave.

“Winnifred, what a lovely surprise.”

“Merry Christmas Paul.” Without another word she ventured back to the elevator. Leaning against the wall she let out a breath. The doors opened on her floor and she dragged the wagon behind her. Pushing open her apartment door with her shoulder she kicked it shut, the handle of the wagon falling to the hardwood floor. Her feet carried her through the apartment to the couch where she plopped down face first into the cushions. Letting out a muffled groan she turned her head to the television, an instant frown forming when her eyes met black screen. “I didn’t turn that off.” Sitting up on her arms she looked around the living room with her face scrunched in concentration. “Or maybe I did.” Laying her head back down she took a deep breath.

A bark from behind the couch made her scream. Her body instinctively jolted to the right and she fell to the floor. Small footsteps pattered around the furniture stopping in front of her face. Her heart rammed against her ribcage staring into a pair of glistening blue eyes. The husky puppy tilted its furry body forward to lick her across her cheek. She let out a laugh maneuvering into a sitting position to pick up the dog. A red bow was tied around its’ neck with a white card attached.

There’s an even bigger present in your bedroom. Scrambling to her feet Winnie slipped on the carpet, her arms holding the puppy to her chest. Bursting into the room she thought her body would explode from the excitement coursing through her.

“Merry Christm-“ Jonathan didn’t have time to get the whole phrase out before Winnie jumped on him. Falling into her mattress she let go of the puppy and started kissing Jon all over his face.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” she muttered into his neck. His hands spread along her back and his arms engulfed her entirely.

“You didn’t think I would let you spend Christmas alone, would you?” Her body buzzed with warmth.

“I wasn’t going to stand in the way of your family.” He brushed hair away from her forehead and pressed a kiss to the side of her mouth. She let out another laugh when the puppy yipped pawing at their faces. “I can’t believe you bought me a dog.”

“You told me once upon a time that you loved Huskies. This way when I’m traveling you’ll have the constant reminder that I’m with you.” He sat up, her body sliding into his lap, and she sighed into his neck. “I got you something else.”

“Wait!” She leaned over the bed and pulled the drawer out, a single wrapped box occupying the space. Using him as leverage she pulled herself back upright and moved off his lap. He took the present into his hands and she scooped the puppy into her arms to scratch behind his ears. She felt her heart blossom at the sight of his face breaking into a grin. His fingers made quick work of the green wrapping paper and he lifted the flaps of the box.

“Holy shit,” he breathed. “The original copy of The Great Gatsby?” His brown eyes were wide with surprise. “Where did you get this?”

“I know a few people,” she answered with a shrug. “Patrick told me how much you love that book and since there’s a lot of things you can buy yourself, I thought this would be something I knew I could do for you.”

“You’re amazing, you know that?”

“Yes,” she teased. Smirking he stood from the bed and removed a bag from the closet. He set it at her feet and took the puppy from her. “If it’s lingerie, I have plenty of that hidden away.”

“Just open it.” Reaching into the bag she felt fabric. The first color she saw was black. Then she saw the LA Kings logo plastered on the front of it. Flipping the jersey in her arms she nearly squealed. Gretzky stared at her in big white letters with the number 99 underneath.

“You truly are something else Jonathan Toews.”

“I know.” She smacked his arm playfully. “What should we name him?”

“Gatsby,” Winnie said immediately. Jon bit his lower lip seeing her gaze intently at the animal. The dog blinked at her letting out another yip. “I think he likes it too.”

“Gatsby it is.” He leaned toward her, Winnie meeting him halfway. The kiss was soft but told him everything he needed to know. Her fingers dug into the hairs on the nape of his neck. Another yip broke them apart laughing. He rested his forehead against hers. “Merry Christmas Winnie.”

“Merry Christmas Jon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Can you just imagine? Ugh.

Image
Is it now.

Image
Meet Gatsby, the puppy on the right. Isn't he just the cutest?

And I know you're all thinking, a dog? Really? This early on? But trust me it's all a key part in my plan. *insert evil smiley face here.*

Also, this is probably the longest chapter I have EVER written, so it's like my gift to you guys to enjoy because it won't happen very often.

:P

A.