Sequel: Hello

Centuries

S I X T E E N

Chewing on the end of the pen Winnie flipped through the many pages of paper in front of her. She was sitting Indian style in the middle of the king sized bed she didn’t need. Sunlight ran along the tanned carpet of the hotel room swirling with little bits of dust. Her hair was tied out of her face messily, skin make-up free, and her usually bright hazel eyes were surrounded by dark circles.

“Where the fuck did I put it?” Removing the pen from her mouth she leaned over to the Mac Book humming on her left and opened up a file. Scrolling to the bottom she quickly scanned the document. Sucking on her bottom lip she pulled the manila pad full of scribbles onto her lap and added more to it. The familiar sound of FaceTime blasted from the speakers of her computer making her flinch. Hitting accept she waited for the face of her best friend to appear. “I didn’t do it.”

“No,” Keziah said slowly, “but your dog did.” Winnie looked at the screen and burst out laughing. Keziah had angled the screen of the iPad for her to see Patrick holding up a pair of newly destroyed socks. “Those were his favorite pair.” Patrick pointed at the dog accusingly.

“He literally chews up everything in my hockey bag!”

“Come here Gatsby,” Winnie called out. The dog rushed around the couch in their apartment and barked. Keziah lowered the iPad and let out a squeak when he instantly started to lick it. “I miss you too buddy. You’re doing such a good job with Uncle Patrick, yes you are.” He barked again and she smiled.

“He is not!”

“Tell Mr. Grumpy Gills I’ll buy him a whole new pack of socks.”

“He’s got plenty more socks,” Keziah waved it off and sat down, Gatsby immediately following her and resting his head in her lap. “How’s sunny California?”

Scrunching her nose Winnie scratched her bare arm. “Hot and sticky. I can only assume Chicago is a miserable snow pile with a chance of more snow.”

“Indeed. But Gatsby loves going for a walk in it.” Keziah rubbed the dog behind the ears. “Is he going to stop antagonizing Pat any time soon?”

“Not until I get back. I’ve trained him very well,” Winnie snickered and the girls laughed together. “How is Jon doing?”

“You haven’t talked to him?” Keziah couldn’t mask her surprise.

“I’ve tried calling him but with them losing recently he’s been distant.” Out of habit the brunette girl checked her phone again to find a blank notification center. “We haven’t spoken since I left two days ago.”

“As far as I know he’s okay. Pat’s been here most of the time. That might be the reason.”

“Besides the wild, crazy sex you two have,” Winnie muttered.

“We’ve been trying to tame it down with the dog here,” Keziah replied defensively. Gatsby licked her hand. “For the most part.”

“My poor baby, subjected to porn every night.” There was a knock on the door pulling her attention away from the computer. “It’s open!” Lucas rounded the corner holding two large coffee cups in his hand. He was dressed for the day in casual black dress pants and a navy blue shirt. A plain pair of sunglasses sat on the top of his head.

“I come baring gifts.” Winnie greedily took the beverage from his hand and nearly burnt her tongue. The large gulp she took scorched her throat and she started coughing. “It’s hot.”

“Oh shut up,” she grumbled.

“Hi Lucas!” Bending over he waved to a smiling Keziah. “Looking overly handsome as always.”

“Have to keep my title of beautiful assistant, you know how hard this job is.” Sitting down on the edge of the bed he took a careful sip from the cup.

“It’s not that difficult,” Winnie scoffed. “You get free vacation.”

“But he has to deal with your bipolar streaks.” Winnie glared at her friend. “See! You were just happy.”

“You’re partially the reason.”

“Kezzie!” She looked over her shoulder. “I’m waiting for you!”

“Sorry most beautiful, wonderful, greatest best friend in the world but my boyfriend and I have very important things to attend to.”

“You’re taking a shower together, aren’t you?” Winnie raised a brow at her friend who only flushed in response. “Don’t forget to walk Gatsby tonight.”

“I never do! It was nice seeing you again Lucas. Please don’t let her bore you to death with meetings and what not,” Keziah said smirking.

“Never do.” He lifted the coffee as a salute and she waved goodbye. Winnie closed the lid of her computer and the two sat in silence for a few minutes. “Have you heard from him?”

“Who, Jon?” He nodded. “No. He’s doing his duty as captain running his team down to the ice until they win again.”

“He hasn’t even sent you a text?” Shaking her head she sighed. “That’s ridiculous.”

“It’s whatever. I understand it, honestly. This position hasn’t always come with easy travel meetings. Granted I practically begged for anything to happen to get away from Adam when I could, but I still get it.”

“Don’t make excuses for him, especially around Valentine’s Day.”

“Valentine’s Day is just a romanticized holiday people use as the excuse to confess their love. It’s an excuse to buy someone a gift to make them feel better. I’d rather get flowers on a random Tuesday with a card that says, ‘thinking about you.’ Because then it wasn’t just about the hype of hearts and roses, it was a single thought that meant something to him.” Winnie met Lucas’ gaze and smiled softly. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to rant.”

“No, no, it’s good. Now I know to send back the chocolates I bought for you.”

“You didn’t!” Winnie slapped him on the arm. “You don’t buy your boss gifts! That’s brown nosing!”

“You made me cookies for Christmas.”

“I made everyone cookies for Christmas.”

“So I’m not special?” Lucas pouted. “I’m hurt.”

“Shut up and get out. I need to get changed.’

“Oh thank goodness.” He wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. “I thought you were purposely dressing like that for the meeting.” He ducked, the pillow Winnie had chucked falling flat to the floor. “I’ll meet you down in the lobby.”

“Keep one eye open at all times,” she warned. His laugh was infectious and together they got up from the bed. He left her alone in the room and she pulled lightly at her bottom lip running over the clothes in her mind. Her phone beeped on the bed and her heart caught in her throat. Lunging for it she was instantly deflated seeing it was only the reminder programmed the night before.

She knew it was going to be difficult handling the schedules they shared, knowing he would get engulfed closer to the playoffs, but she didn’t anticipate the feeling the clawed at her chest every day they went without talking. Dropping her phone back onto the mattress she grabbed a pencil skirt and blouse out of her suitcase, the bathroom tile sending chills up her spine, and the running water from the sink masking the ringtone she had set for someone calling her.

Image

“You can’t be serious.” Winnie paced the hardwood floor of her apartment. She had gotten back from California very early that morning and was looking forward to being in her own bed. “There’s no way that went under that fast. I was just there!” Gatsby gazed at her from the dog bed Keziah had bought him the week after Christmas, his body nearly too big for it. “Alright. I’ll take care of it this week. Yes, father, it will get done.”

Groaning she tilted her head back squeezing her eyes shut. The clock in the kitchen told her it was four in the morning and in two hours she would be getting up to go into the office. She would have to make too many calls to reconnect the lines for the contract in Paris they were attempting to finish by the end of the quarter. It only gave them three weeks to finalize and work out the very last details.

“Gatsby,” Winnie fell onto the couch and waited for the dog to climb up onto her legs. Wrapping her arms around his neck she let him nuzzle her chest. “Why me? Why couldn’t I have gotten into something other than business?” He licked her chin. “I could’ve done anything. Lawyer, doctor, artist!” He made a noise at the last one. “Okay maybe not art. But something else.” Huffing she let her head fall to the cushions. “Valentine’s Day can suck it.”

Knocking pulled her from the light slumber she had fallen into. Gatsby was off her trotting toward the door. Rubbing her eyes with her palms she squinted at the clock. 4:53. Swinging her legs off the couch she stumbled, banging her shin onto the coffee table. Cursing under her breath she half limped, half jogged to the door. “Why are you not barking? Didn’t I teach you to bark at strangers?” She pulled the door open and felt relief flood her.

“He recognizes my scent.” Jon stood in the hall wearing a plain t-shirt and pair of sweats. His hair was sticking up and his eyes were still clouded with sleep. “Can I come in?”

“Yes, sorry.” Winnie stepped out of the way. Gatsby stretched his back and happily followed Jon. “It’s five in the morning.”

“I’m fully aware.” Stopping at her bedroom door Jon leaned against the wall. “I couldn’t sleep.”

“Oh?” Her feet padded against the floor. His arms folded around her, nose pressed against the top of her head, and she wrapped her own around his torso.

“Keziah ripped me a new asshole the other day and it’s been eating at me.”

“I’m going to kill her,” she grumbled into his chest.

“No, I deserved it.” She felt him breathe against her hair. “I shouldn’t have blocked you out like I did. It’s just, hard.”

“I don’t want you to feel bad for doing your job.” Winnie looked up at him. The dim lighting from outside highlighted his strong jaw.

“I don’t feel bad for doing my job. I feel bad for leaving you in the dark. For making you feel like you’re not important because you are.” He kissed her softly. “You’re very important to me.”

“And you’re very important to me.”

They stared at each other, Jon bringing a hand up to push some hair behind her ear, and Winnie sucked on her lip. His fingers lingered on her skin. “I missed you.” Her whisper made him shiver. Dropping his head he kissed her again letting his slender fingers get tangled in her locks. She let him control the kiss feeling the fire in the pit of her stomach ignite. He pushed her against the wall and felt her hum against him.

Her fingers gripped the hem of his shirt tugging on the fabric. Breaking the kiss long enough to pull it off he got lost in her mouth. Winnie took advantage of the bare skin feeling every groove and muscle she could. Jon’s hands gripped her waist tightly and she jumped, letting him catch her. Her body rolled with heat and she let out a gasp when his teeth nipped at her neck. Keeping her upright with one arm, Jon used the other to shove open the door to her bedroom and kicked it shut behind him.

Winnie didn’t protest when he dropped her down onto the bed. Instead she gazed up at him, eyes adjusting to the darkness, and waited for him to join her. Slowly he crawled on top of the covers, his breath hot against the bits of skin exposed from her shirt riding up. She let a noise fall from her lips feeling his lips brush against her stomach. His eyes flashed to hers and he smirked. His hand pressed against her hip and he trailed a flutter of kisses along her collarbone. Winnie dug her fingers into the hair at the nape of his neck arching up into his body. He bit down on her neck and kissed the spot after.

They were a flurry of touches and kisses on the bed. Winnie rolled until she was sitting in his lap, his large hands spreading on her back, eyes smoldering. She kissed his lips, then the corner of his mouth, before leaning away from him slightly. Crossing her arms and gripping the bottom of her tank she removed it fully. Dropping it onto the floor she never broke eye contact with Jon. His hands left a line of goosebumps up her back. He felt a twitch in his pants when she pushed her hips against his. Growling into her neck he practically threw her down onto her back.

“What are you d-“ Winnie’s voice was replaced by a moan. Jon swirled his tongue along her chest massaging each breast. Her back arched again when his mouth took a nipple and sucked lightly. He listened to the sounds coming from her, learning her body, and gently pushed the waistband of her shorts out of his way. “Oh wow.”

“Oh wow?” He touched the most sensitive area of her body. Her eyes shut and she gripped the blanket under her.

“Shut up and don’t stop.” His fingers dipped further and every muscle in her body tightened.

“What don’t you want me to stop?” Seeing the red spread on her skin he continued to work his hand under her clothes.

“Nothing, don’t stop anything.” Her chest was heaving to catch any kind of air, sweat beading on her forehead. Jon continued his assault to her body, slowly moving two fingers into her, his thumb rubbing the bundle of nerves driving her toward the edge. “Jon, holy shit.”

Hearing his name falling from her lips he nearly lost it. He wanted to feel her around him, wanted to know every inch of her. Making up his mind he removed his hand. Winnie looked down at him from the sudden stop in action. Both of his hands pulled her shorts and underwear off in one motion. Her stomach did flips seeing the way he gazed at her. Licking his lips Jon quickly shoved his pants and boxer briefs to the floor.

Winnie’s heart hammered into her ribcage. Every part of her tingled where he touched her. She couldn’t stop her eyes from traveling down, her lip stuck between her teeth. His head dipped down and she felt his mouth on her inner thigh. His journey up to her head was slow, agonizing, and exciting all at the same time. Winnie had dreamt about their first time together and knew it would be better than anything she could imagine. They had done things, when they could, but this was different.

“You’re beautiful.” He kissed her neck. Holding himself above her on his elbows he looked at her through long lashes.

“You don’t have to butter me up Jon. I’m already naked.” She smiled up at him.

“I’m not buttering you up Winnifred.” He kissed her. “I’m being honest.”

“I know.” Her voice was low. She buzzed with energy and heat. He captured her in a kiss full of emotion he could only portray physically. When he thrust into her, she nearly exploded right then and there. Her nails dug into his shoulders and he took that as encouragement. They moved together in the darkness making noises, sputtering each other’s names, and Winnie could already feel herself unraveling under him.

Coming down from the high she rested her head on his chest. His right hand lazily twirled a strand of her hair around his finger. The sun filled the room with streaks of yellow reflecting the snow from outside. They laid together, losing track of time, both relaxed for the first time in months.

Jon kissed her on top of her head nuzzling into her, sleep taking his body minutes after. Winnie laid there with her arm tossed over his stomach with tears brimming in her eyes.

She was head over heels in love with this man. And it scared the crap out of her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
He's so freaking adorable.

Image
Mouth Guard action there.

A.