Sequel: Hello

Centuries

E I G H T E E N

Northwestern Hospital was always busy. Nurses running around on the main lobby floor carrying their lunches and incoming patients hobbling through the revolving doors trying to get attention, all of it was a blur. It was as if time was moving in slow motion for Winnie as she waited for the elevator doors to open. Her phone was continuously buzzing in her pocket but she ignored it.

Keziah had told her what room to go to but she saw the strawberry blonde pacing the hall once she turned the corner. Panic set in Keziah’s face and Winnie offered the smallest grin she could muster. Keziah’s usually bright eyes were red and swollen, tear streaks still drying on her cheeks.

“He’s going to be okay he just has a mild concussion,” she mumbled in Winnie’s ear. Winnie could feel her friend shaking when they pulled out of their embrace. “Lindsey has a broken arm.”

“Lindsey was the girl from Patrick’s birthday dinner, right?” Winnie walked next to Keziah as the girl started rambling on about what she knew. She remembered the way the girl had rubbed his back, how close they had been sitting, and the glare she had received once the night ended. They were just friends and he was taking her home. Nothing serious.

“Winn!” The brunette let out a squeak. Patrick enveloped her in a giant hug that lifted her a few inches off the ground. His blonde hair was unruly and his eyes were slightly bloodshot. “How was your trip in?”

“It was fine,” she wheezed. “Can you put me down?”

“Sorry,” he sputtered. Taking a deep breath Winnie brushed some of the hair out of her face. “He’s been asking about you.”

“Does he know that I’m here?” She peered over his shoulder watching a doctor and nurse exchange words behind glass.

“I told him that we called you. He was mad enough about that,” Keziah admitted with a frown. “I didn’t know what else to do.”

“Will you guys go get me some coffee? I’m running on empty.” Winnie squeezed Keziah’s arm.

“Sure, yeah, we’ll be right back.” Patrick patted down his pockets for his wallet and looked to his girlfriend. Keziah stood for a moment with her bottom lip pulled between her teeth, eyes searching Winnie’s for any answer. When she found none, she took Patrick’s hand and headed down the hall in the opposite direction.

Taking a slow breath through her nose Winnie gently pushed open the door of the hospital room. It was still light out, the sun casting shadows on the tiled floor, and the television was playing softly above her head. Her heart started to race in her chest and blood rushed to her ears making it difficult to hear the heart monitor next to the bed.

Jon appeared to be sleeping with his head lolled to the side. A bandage covered the right of his forehead and his lip was cut. His body took up the entire bed, his feet pushing against the baseboard, and Winnie stood still. His arms rested on top of the blanket covering his lower half and she admired him. He looked peaceful.

Shaking her head she turned on her heel and had her hand on the doorknob when he stirred. His eyes fluttered open and it took a few seconds before he recognized the figure in the doorway. “Winnie?”

“Hey,” she replied softly. Her feet carried her to the side of the bed and she instinctively reached for his hand. His skin was arm to the touch and his fingers encased her hand easily. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“What are you doing here?” His voice was raspy. “I thought you were in Paris.”

“I was. I flew in this afternoon.” His eyes were dull and she watched his expression change. “Don’t, it’s okay. Lucas is handling the conference.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. He lifted her hand to the side of his face and leaned into her palm. “I was an asshole.”

“No,” she bent down to press a kiss to his forehead, “we were stressed. We both said things we didn’t mean.”

“I don’t know what I was thinking even going out like I did. Maybe Kaner is finally rubbing off on me,” he joked. His smile faltered when Winnie looked to the floor. “What is it?”

“What were you doing with her?” He gripped onto her hand. Winnie met his gaze. “Why did you go out?”

“I was upset,” he answered truthfully. “First at you and then myself. I tried to call but you didn’t answer so I went down to the bar. Lindsey was already there with a couple friends.”

“Would you have done anything with her, if you wouldn’t have been hurt?” She couldn’t hide the pain in her voice anymore.

“No, no way.”

“Did you want to do anything with her?” She was trying to stay calm and rational, holding back the sudden panic rising in her body.

“I don’t understand what you’re asking,” he stated. He brought his hand up to her face and ran his thumb along her jaw. “Nothing happened I swear.”

“Because nothing could happen.” Winnie shut her eyes before lifting her head. Jon could see the waivering emotion on her face. “You went out for a reason, you were upset, and seeing her there gave you an excuse to stay.”

“I mean, yeah, she’s my friend,” he said confused.

“Did you want to do something with her?”

“What?” His voice cracked.

“Did it cross your mind?” Winnie’s voice was soft and she looked at him in a way that made his heart pound.

“I don’t know, maybe?” He struggled to find the right words. “I was angry and deep down I knew going out wasn’t going to solve anything but I did it. Lindsey and I used to fool around and maybe a part of me knew that if I asked she would be willing. I didn’t act on it and by the time we left she was too drunk to drive so I offered to take her home. That’s it, nothing else happened.” He tried to touch her arm but she moved off the bed. “Winnie.”

“I know this is hard on both of us with the constant traveling and distance. Maybe I let the job get in the way because that’s what I’ve always done.” She could feel the burning in her eyes. “But I’ve never looked at another person and thought of them the way I think about you.”

“It’s not like that,” he demanded. Her eyes darted to the monitor from the sudden jump in noise. He let out a huff and gazed at her. “I’m in love with you, Winnifred. You and only you.”

A knock on the door pulled them from the tension growing. A man with a white coat and glasses popped his head in with a smile. “Hello there.” He was tall and lean with a clipboard tucked under his arm. “I’m Dr. Deaton, just coming in to check on Mr. Toews here.”

“Hi,” Winnie muttered. Leaning over Jonathan she pressed a kiss to the side of his mouth. He grabbed onto her arm pleading with his eyes. “Goodbye Jon.”

“Don’t go.” Raising his head he captured her in a quick kiss, the pain in his neck worth the feeling of her touch.

“I’ll see you later.” She controlled the tears pooling in her eyes. “I love you.”

“Winnie,” his voice followed her out into the hall. Patrick and Keziah had just returned with three cups of coffee when they saw her disappear around the corner. She ignored them, the sounds of the hospital swallowing her whole.

Image

Mikaelson Publishing CEO Winnifred Mikaelson stepped down from the company over a month ago. The daughter of founder and owner, Franklin Mikaelson, gave very vague reasons explaining the decision to leave.

‘I have lived most of my young adult life running a business that has flourished throughout the world. By doing so I have missed out on building relationships, seeing family, and discovering who I am. Due to this, I have decided in my best interest and the company’s best interest, to sign over the position to Lucas Freyer as the new CEO of Mikaelson Publishing. Lucas has been shadowing me for almost a year and has successfully fulfilled his duties under short notice. I know this company will be in good hands under his watch and look forward to seeing it grow.’

Upon further investigation, no one has been able to find the young woman and close sources have had no contact. Her parents would give no comment on the situation. Despite the disappearing act, Mikaelson Publishing has indeed continued to develop business world-wide and nearly doubled the stock value in just under three weeks. We spoke to the new CEO of the Chicago branch, Lucas Freyer, who held no further comment.


You have 38 unheard messages. To listen to first message, press 1. To delete, press 2.

’Winnie, It’s Kez. I know things are difficult right now but running away is not the answer, okay? Patrick and I are here for you, always, just, please come home.’

‘Winnifried Mikaelson, if you do not come home this instant I will have sex with Keziah on that mattress you have forsaken us from. I swear I’ll do it.’

‘We couldn’t do it.’

‘I got this interesting thing in the mail today from the building manager. You signed over the apartment to me. Your stuff is still here, Winnie. That means you’re coming back, right? You’re coming back?’

‘Tazer has been playing awful, I’ve been playing awful. We miss you.’

‘Where are you?’

‘Winnie, I love you. Please come back.’

“This number has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Please hang up and try again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
Welp.

Image
This.

Image
Is.

Image
It.

So there will be an epilogue.
and a sequel.
No worries.

A.