Sequel: Hello

Centuries

T H R E E

Winnifred blew out a breath once her vehicle was shut off. Resting her forehead against the steering wheel she squeezed her eyes shut. She wanted nothing more than to curl into a ball and let out a blood curling scream. Instead she rubbed her temples.

The white iPhone sitting in the cup holder vibrated for a text message. Seeing 'Keziah' flashing on the screen she quickly snatched up the device.

'Are you going to come up or sit in the car all night? You've got this weird package in the mail and I'm going to open it if you don't come up here in five minutes.'

Shaking her head with a smirk Winnie typed out a quick, 'I'm coming up now.' Living with the strawberry blonde for three weeks, she had learned her new friend would constantly keep her guessing. Securing her purse on her shoulder the young brunette locked up her car. Her footsteps echoed on the pavement as she moved through the parking garage and pressed the button for the elevator. Tapping her toe she waited until the doors opened to step inside. The number 14 illuminated and she leaned on the back wall.

Work had been a near disaster. The three hour phone call to a distributor had almost lost them a contract. The loophole Winnie had found was the only piece of thread holding everything together. If she was anything, she was a negotiator. But days like today made her question her career choices. In the back of her mind she knew, she always knew, it's the fact she didn't want to do it that keeps pulling at her conscious.

The elevator stopped moving and she pushed herself off the wall. Her head was down as the doors opened and she almost ran into the chest of a very red in the face Patrick Kane.

"Sorry, excuse me." She side stepped around the athlete with a tight grin.

"Hey Winnie." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "How are you?"

"Just another day under the belt." She pursed her lips and looked at her feet.

"I'll see ya around?"

"I'm sure you will." He smiled at her exposing his white teeth before disappearing behind the doors. Digging her keys out of her purse she opened the door to her newly shared apartment. Lavender wafted through the hallway instantly relaxing the brunette.

"Pooh bear is that you?" Keziah emerged from the kitchen wiping her hands on a towel.

"We're you expecting someone else?" She eyed her roommate playfully as Keziah tossed the towel onto the countertop.

"No." Keziah quickly turned away.

"So Patrick Kane was just venturing on our floor for what exactly?" Winnie dumped her belongings on the coffee table with a smug expression.

"He must have hit our floor by accident." Keziah swiped the large Manila package off the counter and held it in front of her. "Now open this so I will stop shaking it."

"I love your avoidance of my questions." Winnie took the object and pulled the tab. Inside sat a poorly wrapped small package and several cards. Removing them she let out a small sigh.

"What is it?" Keziah peered over Winnie's shoulder like a small child.

"My birthday gifts."

"It was your birthday?!?" Winnie leaned away from her friend cringing. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because my birthday was in April and it's October." Winnie sat down on the couch and began opening the cards. "My family does this thing where they forget about my birthday until September or October. Then they scramble something together and send it so they can't feel guilty."

"That's terrible. Why do they forget so often?" Keziah plopped down beside Winnie and patted her arm gently.

"Because they live in California where it's warm and sunny while I run the business from Chicago." She dumped the first card onto the table. Keziah rested her head on Winnie's shoulder. It wasn't until she was on the third card did Keziah gasp.

"MIKAELSON PUBLISHING!" Winnie jumped at the sudden outburst. "That's where I know the name from. Holy shit. You're like, royalty. Christian Grey doesn't compare to your empire."

"Ok, calm down. Christian Grey is a fictional person. And the company isn't that big." Winnie moved on to the next card but Keziah ripped it from her fingers.

"Not that big? Are you kidding?!" The strawberry blonde spun in a near circle flailing her arms. "You have no idea how big you are. And you're running the company for your parents? Like, I can't even fathom that kind of responsibility let alone the success. You're the Kardashian of Chicago."

"I prefer to just be myself." Winnie's voice was small causing Keziah to instantly frown.

"I'm sorry. I'm a fucking idiot." Wrapping her arms around Winnie's shoulder Keziah let out a soft breath. "I do this thing where I freak out over stupid shit and I went bonkers on you. I promise to keep my cool."

Winnie fiddled with the edges of the red wrapping paper. The cards had been from her grandparents, the ones in Alabama and the ones residing in California. The gift would most likely be a combination from her parents. Licking her lips Winnie tore the paper away from the gift and stared. A t-shirt in the color of orange held an entire stack of tickets. But not just any tickets.

"Oh my God."

"What?" Keziah tilted her head to read the lettering. "Chicago Blackhawks. Are they a big team?"

"You could say that," Winnie answered slowly. She ran her fingers over the tickets. "Either my dad wants something or he's making up for years of forgotten birthdays."

"So it's safe to assume they are good seats." Keziah grabbed the ticket on top and wiggled it in the air. "I've never watched hockey. And there are two of every ticket. Why would he send you two?"

"He had his heart set on me being with a guy that ended badly. I’m assuming he bought these when we were still together. But, since you’ve never been to a game, looks like you’re my date.” Winnie took the ticket back and stood. "Tonight we are going to a hockey game."

Image

Keziah gazed at all the people hoarding the concession stands. She was already wishing she had listened to Winnie, her arm hair standing on end from the cold temperature. The no sleeve shirt had been a must buy from Macy’s, the pair of dark washed jeans a perfect match covering her legs.

"Do you want to get anything before we get to our seats?" Winnie gestures to the opening where jerseys and shirts hung on the wall. Keziah eyed the names scattering the clothing and sighed. "It's only going to get colder."

"I don't know." Her green eyes landed on the number 88 jersey. "He's not any relation to Patrick Kane, is he?" Winnie had to hold on her laughter.

"No. He's much better looking." Winnie pulled out her wallet. "I'll even buy it for you."

"Excuse you, miss I am part owner of the largest publishing company in the world, I am very capable of buying my own jersey. Just because I don't know anything about the game doesn't mean I can't support." Keziah had her credit card in hand.

"Alright miss independent." Winnie turned toward the food. "I’m going to get the snacks then."

Winnie stood in line contemplating whether or not she wanted a pretzel or nachos, her stomach remaining undecided even as she became next in line. The vendor gave her a forced smile and took her order, both items presenting themselves moments later. After she paid she turned to search for Keziah. She had to bite her tongue to keep from giggling. The jersey had nearly swallowed her whole, the hem of it touching her thighs, and the beanie now on her head covered the hair she had curled not just an hour ago. A bag hung on her wrist as she walked and Winnie smiled.

“I bought you a shirt since you’re treating me tonight with the game.” Keziah dug out the red and white colored shirt and held it up. “I feel bad for the guy. Having the last name of toes and all.” Winnie nearly choked on the Coca-Cola in her mouth.

“You’ve got to stop doing that,” Winnie breathed as they started walking. Keziah put the shirt back in the bag and took the pretzel into her hands.

“Doing what?”

“Being clueless.” Winnie dipped a tortilla chip into the cheese and bit down. Together they handed their two tickets to the usher who gave them a nod and started down the stairs. Thousands of people stuffed themselves into the chairs surrounding the large ice rink. Keziah couldn’t stop her jaw from dropping as they continued their descent. Winnie munched on the chips, oblivious to her friends reaction, anticipating the effect the game would have on her. The older man with the bow-tie gestured toward the row of seats directly behind the glass. Keziah hugged the bag to her chest as they walked in front of some people offering tight smiles and ‘sorry’ if they bumped knees. Winnie placed her cup in the holder of her designated seat and plopped into the cushion.
Her white undershirt shielded her arms from the drastic change in temperature while the black t-shirt she wore supported the team.

“Oh my God, Winnie! We’re right next to the team!” Keziah pointed to the glass pane on Winnie’s right in excitement. Winnie didn’t stop the toothy grin from forming. The equipment manager was standing up the rack of sticks against the back wall while a couple players emerged from the walkway that lead to the locker room. “This is so cool!”

“My dad got us tickets once when I was a kid and we sat in the seats next to the home team bench. It’s been a tradition since then.” Chomping on another chip Winnie had just grabbed her cup when Keziah slapped her hand on her arm and squeezed.

“Winnie.” The brunette coughed on the laugh stuck in her throat. Keziah’s eyes were wide and her cheeks were hot, the tint of red easily exposed on her skin. Skating around the ice pushing a puck was number 88. The blonde curls poking out from the bottom of his helmet gave him away immediately. “You said he wasn’t related to him!” She pointed down at her jersey for emphasis.

“Oh! You meant that Patrick Kane. I’m sorry, must have slipped my mind.” Winnie watched in amusement as Keziah slid down in the chair to hide herself. “You should wave to him.”

“I’m practically screaming, ‘let’s have sex because I bought your jersey number and had no idea you fucking played.’” She put her face in her hands.

“Like you wouldn’t if he asked,” Winnie muttered. They both looked up in time for Patrick to skate by, a glove raised in recognition. Winnie wiggled her fingers at him while Keziah stayed in her hunched position. “And by the way. Toews is pronounced like taze, not toes. Common mistake by rookie fans.”

“You’re a terrible human being.” Keziah finally sat up and adjusted the long locks around her shoulders.

“Just wait til the game starts.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image

Image

Keziah is just so adorable. Being clueless.

Let the game begin!
A.