Sequel: Hello

Centuries

S I X

Winnifred rolled over on her mattress with her face buried in her pillows. Today was Saturday, one of two days she got to sleep in, and somewhere in the midst of her dream world she was rudely disturbed. The ringing was coming from her nightstand where the device was most likely at its full charge. Blindly she slapped her hand around on the wooden table until her fingers felt the slick case that protected her iPhone from multiple impacts.

Peeking through one eye she brought the phone close enough to read the name on the screen. ’Father Dearest’ was illuminated in all white letters with the picture of him holding her as a child. Before the expectations were instilled upon her.

Grunting she silenced the ringer and stuffed the phone under the pillow. 9:17 in the morning was too early on a Saturday. Especially since she was up half the night finishing a report that was due by midnight at Headquarters that would potentially open an office somewhere in Florida. An office that she would be forced to go look into once everything was set. She could use a mini-vacation. Her thoughts were interrupted as the phone began to vibrate.

“It’s my day off,” was the greeting she spat once the phone was at her ear.

“Yes, in fact it is! How is my beautiful daughter? Did you like your presents?” Winnie pinched the bridge of her nose as she readjusted her position on the bed. Fighting the urge to hang up on the man she let out a deep breath instead.

“They were great Dad, thanks. We’ve gone to four home games so far.”

“Only four? They’ve had much more than that.”

“And I’ve been stuck in the office preparing for the new building in Tampa.”

“That’s right! Look at you go. Expanding our company.” She heard someone calling out in the background and pursed her lips. “Your mother says hello.”

“Tell her I said hi.” Flipping the blankets off her legs Winnie found her way into the kitchen listening to her father ramble on about California and how the business was flourishing in their region. Winnie loved her parents, she really did, but the only reason they ever called was when they needed something or had to tell her bad news. “So do you want to get to the chase of the phone call or keep playing the elusive card.” She took a bite from her cereal and lazily grabbed the remote on the coffee table. Keziah had purchased a 50” flat screen and had Patrick help her hang it up on the wall. The brunette would never admit that she thought it was a good change because it actually pulled her out of her bedroom on her off days.

“As a matter of fact dear, we were just calling to see how our successful daughter was fairing in the Windy City. I know things with Adam didn’t end the way we had hoped,” Winnie scoffed, “but that doesn’t mean you should close yourself off completely to men.”

“Ok, Dad, if you’re implying that I’m turning lesbian because I haven’t actively gotten a boyfriend in the last five months, you’re incredibly daft and mistaken.”

“No, sweetheart, I didn’t mea-“

“And for your information I did go on a date just last week.” She was met with silence. Winnie flipped through the channels and ended on one of the sport networks, Jonathan Toews’ face plastered on her wall. Holding the bowl of cereal in one and scooping with the other she swallowed the food.

“You went on a date?” The squeal from her mother did not go unheard. “Who was he? Or she?”

“He, dad, he,” Winnie emphasized with a sigh. “And it was Jonathan Toews.”

“Is this a joke?” She rolled her eyes at his skepticism. “You went out with Jonathan Toews?”

“You do know I live in the same building as he does, right?” Winnie tucked her legs underneath her on the couch and set the bowl on the table. “The floor below him and Patrick Kane. I’m pretty sure other players live here too.”

“I just, I know how big of a fan you are of the team. I didn’t imagine you ever actually talking to them.”

“Neither did I but it seems that my roommate and a certain player have gotten pretty close to each other in the last couple of weeks. They set us up.”

“That’s wonderful!” Winnie had to pull the phone away from her ear at the sound of her mother’s high pitch. “Are you going out with him again?”

“I don’t know about that,” she trailed off. “Work is really picking up and they have a super busy schedule too so it’s hard to find free time.”

“You’re free right now,” her mother pointed out. Winnie rubbed her cheek in annoyance.

“I don’t think he and I will work out .”

“Nonsense! You’re a young, beautiful, successful woman and he’s a handsome, young, successful athlete. You two love hockey. It’s a perfect fit.”

“Let’s not get carried away,” she protested.

“We will just have to see for ourselves.” Winnie’s eyes shot open.

“What?!”

“Surprise! We’re coming to visit next weekend! I need to check up on the Chicago site and we thought it would be a great way to see your place and meet your friends.” Her mother giggled. “And now we can meet this boyfriend of yours.”

“Mom, we went on one date. One. That means nothing.”

“Oh you’re so cute when you are flustered.” Winnie wanted to pull out her hair. “We’ll be in Friday night, your father has meetings in the morning, and then we will go out.”

“They have a game,” Winnie darted into the kitchen to find the calendar.

“On Friday.”

“If he doesn’t agree to it th-“

“Why wouldn’t he? Anyways, darling, we have to go. We will see you next weekend!”

“Mom, dad, wait!” Dead air filled her ear and she pulled the phone away, the call ending. “Mother fuck!” Spinning around in a circle she marched to Keziah’s room and threw open the door. The mattress was a mess of blankets and the floor was covered in clothes. She could hear water running from the connecting bathroom and didn’t bother knocking. “We have a problem.”

“Jesus Christ woman!” Patrick used the shower curtain to conceal his lower half while Keziah stood frozen under the water. Winnie had covered her eyes and was currently facing the mirror instead of them.

“Good morning to you too,” she snapped. “My parents are coming to visit next weekend.”

“And that requires you to burst in on us because,” Patrick trailed off. Winnie heard the sound of a slap and him grunt.

“Is everything alright?”

“They think I’m dating Jonathan.”

“What?!” Keziah hid more behind the curtain. “Uncover your eyes and talk to me.”

“I’m afraid of what I might see.” Winnie peeked through her fingers. “It’s better this way.”

“Don’t be a child, we are all adults here.” Keziah swatted at Patrick’s hand that was crawling toward her abdomen. “Minus one.”

“I told my parents that I went on a date with Jonathan and my crazy baboon of a mother took that as him being my boyfriend.” Winnie heard Keziah slap Patrick again and she huffed. “Can you keep it in your pants for two fucking minutes?”

“Technically I don’t have any pants on so no.”

“What do I do?” Winnie stood helpless with her shoulders slouched. Keziah nibbled on her bottom lip and nudged Patrick with her elbow.

“What? I don’t have the answer. Jonathan clearly can’t stand her and she can’t stand him.”

“I’m right here asshat.”

“Oh I’m aware,” he replied.

“You could always just ask him,” Keziah offered with a shrug. Patrick and Winnie both shook their heads.

“Pat is right. Being in the same room, especially with my parents, most likely isn’t the best of ideas.” Keziah let out a gasp when she felt a hand snake up her thigh. “Could you two seriously stop touching each other? I might not be able to see you but I can hear you, all the time, even when you think I can’t.”

“You won’t be able to hear us from my place,” Patrick stated with a grin. Keziah rolled her eyes. “Jon is home too. Maybe asking him isn’t such a bad idea.”

“Maybe standing in a cage with a hungry tiger isn’t a bad idea either!” Winnie squeezed her eyes shut and dropped her hands. “You guys are literally no help.”

“You barged in on us in the middle of a very intimate act of passion.”

“Please shut up before I smother you with this shower curtain,” Keziah muttered. “Winnie, just go ask. The worst he can say is no.”

“Sure. I’ll go ask him. And when I get back here in three minutes because that’s how long it’ll take for the elevator to take me there and for him to slam the door in my face, you two better be out of the bathroom and in clothes. Because we will have to formulate a plan that does not involve the most serious person in the building.” Winnie felt around the room blindly until she grabbed the door and shut it behind her. The phone was still in her hand and she raked her fingers through her hair to calm her nerves. “It’ll be fine. Maybe he went out. He’s probably not even home.”

Image

“Come to insult my profession so soon?” Jonathan leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed. Winnie let out a slow breath through her nose.

“I apologize if I smudged your ever precious ego.” She returned his mocking grin. “This is a long shot, and I’m 99% that the answer that will immediately fall from your mouth is a negative, but I’ve come to ask for your help.”

“The princess needing assistance? And she chose me?” Jonathan gasped and turned from the door. “Can I get this in writing?”

“Look, I know I’m a bitch and I know that I’m not your favorite person in the universe, but let me get something straight. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. All we have are these stories we tell ourselves to get us through the day. For all I know you’re a great guy that might actually have a normal sense of humor under your crap serious façade you give to the media. I don’t care what you think about me but some people actually mean something to me. Right now I’m in a position to ask you for help because if I could ask anyone else, I would.”

Jonathan listened to her as she spoke, watched her tuck some loose hair behind her ear, and noticed how she wouldn’t make direct eye contact. The sweatpants did little to show off her figure that he knew was there and as much as he was irritated, he was intrigued. He took a step back and held the door open for her. She finally looked up at him and pursed her lips before stepping into the apartment. Once the door was shut he lead her to the kitchen island where she sat down on a stool.

“Water?” He opened the fridge to get himself a bottle.

“No thank you.” She set her phone on the counter top and rested her head in her hands. She didn’t expect to make it this far and she was regretting the decision all together. Jonathan lazily stood against the edge of the counter with a bored expression. “You know what? Just forget it. I’ll tell them that you’re out of town and they’ll just wave it off.” She was in the middle of getting off the stool when he spoke.

“Who is they?” She bit her lip.

“My parents.” He gave her a look. “They are coming in next weekend for business and want to take me out to dinner on Saturday night. I made the mistake of telling them about our date and my mother has it in her head that you are now my boyfriend. And before you protest, I clearly remember telling her how terrible it had went and that this would be a terrible idea.” Winnie saw the mix of emotions that passed his face. “My last relationship ended very badly and since then I’ve indulged so much in work to avoid dating that they’re afraid I’m turning lesbian.” Jon choked on the water. “Yes, ha ha, funny joke. If I try to make excuses to get out of it then it will only sway them to believe what they already do.”

“So you need me to pretend to be your boyfriend?” He did his best to hide the smirk pulling at his face, her constant fidgeting entertaining him.

“No, yes, I don’t know. Just a dinner date? Make them believe?” She twisted around and rested her arms on the counter, her head following suit. “This is a nightmare.”

“I’ll do it.”

“I’m sorry, what?” She eyed him carefully as he set the water bottle down and crossed his arms.

“If it means I get to watch you squirm this much all night? I’m in. I’ve already laughed to myself numerous times in the five minutes you’ve been here.”

“I’m glad my torment will prove exhilarating.” She scowled at first but then relaxed. “You’re serious though?”

“They don’t call me Captain Serious because of my comedic quality.”

“They should call you Sir Wit. Short for dim or witty, I haven’t decided.” She smirked at him and he just shook his head.

“Not very nice to call your new boyfriend names.”

“I’ve got to have some normalcy for the day,” she admitted. Snatching the phone off the counter she made her way back to the door. As she was pulling on the knob she glanced over her shoulder, his figure looming in the hall a few feet away. “Thank you, for what it’s worth. I’ll text you later this week with details.”

“You don’t have my number.”

“I’ll get it from Kane.”

“Speaking of my always absent roommate, he’s at your place, right?”

“Hopefully no longer providing passionate acts to my friend.” Jon made a face and she just waved him off. “You don’t want to know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Image
I think I just heard Noelle screaming from Florida.

Image
I just want to be in that room. Under him. Right there.

Ok bye.
A.