Status: Done.

Robot meets Girl

Explain

Madison glanced at Nate and let out a sigh of defeat. She headed over toward Nate and stood across from him. “You know my mother?”

“Huh?” Nate was surprised and confused. “Your mother?”

“Her name is Andrea Mats,” she said, taking a seat across from him, “she didn’t take my dad’s last name.” Madison met his eyes, almost crying out for an answer. “She’s been gone since I was twelve and I’ve missed her so much.”

Nate wanted to reach for her hand and hold it, telling her everything would be okay, but it was obvious that she was still a little bit freaked out. “I didn’t know she was your mom.”

Madison nodded. “I understand.” She sighed. “She also told me we should flee.” Madison met his eyes and choked back her tears—she had missed him so much. “The scientists are going to shut you off.”

Nate felt numb and relived. “Did she say anything else?”

Madison felt a tear run down her cheek. “No.” She got up and looked him in the eyes. “If what she said is true, we do need to leave.”

Nate got up and grabbed her hand. “When? Where?”

Madison brushed her hand over his cheek. “Good question.”

“Madison.” Nate stood there, his fingers entangled with hers. “Will you just think for a second that I’m not a robot?”

Madison stepped closer. “That’s pretty impossible.”

Nate pulled her closer. “Think of me the way you did before I told you.”

She squeezed his hand tighter. “Why did you tell me if you just want me to treat you like a human and forget about the whole ‘I have artificial skin and body parts’?”

“Will you go to the dance with me?” Nate held her tighter, as if she was the only thing keeping him alive.

“I’m going with Adam.” Madison let go of his hand and ran into the girl’s bathroom to cry.

***

Curtis watched Madison run into the bathroom and glared at Nate. Curtis walked over to Nate and grabbed him by the arm. “What did you say to her?”

“Nothing,” Nate said, getting his backpack.

“Nothing doesn’t make her cry!” Curtis slammed his fist into Nate’s face and pulled his hand back with a surging pain. “What the—?”

Nate ran out of the school and headed to the place he felt most safe—the bookstore.

Curtis—humiliated—went into the girl’s bathroom to check on Madison, who was sobbing in one of the stalls. “Baby, it’s me.” He knocked lightly on the door. “Let me in so that we can talk.”

Madison opened the door and held Curtis tightly. “I wish this feeling would go away.” She sobbed more into his shoulder. “Curtis...Curtis...I have to go away for a while.”

“What?” Curtis pulled her away from his shoulder. “Where are you going?”

“Just...Away.” Madison hugged him again. “You have to stay safe. Promise me you will stay safe!”

Curtis nodded. “I’ll stay safe.”

“And don’t talk to strangers. Swear on my life that you will not talk to anyone that you don’t know!” Madison tightened her grip to an excruciating level.

“I promise I won’t talk to strangers, mommy.” Curtis held her tightly and took in her smell of roses and perfume. “I love you, Madison.” He kissed her neck because he didn’t know when he’d see her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
i thought the ending was funny!!