‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.1

The group talked about their journeys as they made objects into weapons while Sabrina sat in the corner. Knees up to her chest, arms circling around her knees and chin resting on her knees as she was in deep thought. How were they going to get out of this place? Sabrina could tell Gareth was smarter then he looked, she knew if they fought back, there were going to be fatalities in the group. And how was she going to tell Daryl that she may not be okay? Sabrina knew she'd have to tell Daryl but right now wasn't the best time since they were trying to get out of this train car and past those fences.

"Sabrina, ya a'right?" Sabrina heard Daryl ask as he kneeled in front of her.

Sabrina wanted to say yes, everything's fine but with the tears that were welled up in her eyes, he'd know that she'd be lying. "I'll tell you if we get out of here."

"Don't be talkin' like tha'. Ya know we're gettin' outta here."

"Daryl I'm not sticking up for them but...Gareth is smarter then we all think. I could read that about him."

"Sabrina, listen ta me. We're gonna ge' outta here. 'Nd when we do, yer gonna tell me wha's the matter with ya 'cause ya haven't been yerself fer a few days."

She nodded softly as he put a kiss to her forehead before standing up and walking to the door to look out the crack. Sabrina stayed in her same spot, holding back the tears while she heard people coming closer to the train car.

"A'right. We go' four of them pricks comin' our way." Daryl announced.

"Y'all know what to do. Go for their eyes first. Then their throats." Rick stated going over to Daryl and looked back to Sabrina quickly with a inward sigh. He knew she was on the verge of a mental breakdown so he didn't badger her about helping out. Rick knew the group would get Sabrina out safely.

"Get your backs to the walls on either end of the car. Now." One guy on the outside said.

The group stayed in their attack positions. Sabrina tilted her head up when she heard the top of the train car open and something was dropped inside. Everyone looked at it dumbfounded until Abraham yelled move. When that one word left his lips, the thing went off. In a matter of seconds it was smokey, everyone coughing, feeling light headed and people with masks barged in. That's the only thing Sabrina heard and saw before she blacked out from the smokey contents. When Sabrina finally woke up from her corner, she noticed some were gone. She shot up quickly, which was a bad move, her head started spinning so she leaned up against the wall.

"You ok?" Looking up towards the voice, Sabrina glared at the dark haired girl named Tara.

"Stay the hell away from me. You may have everyone else fooled but not me. I saw you down there with the governor." Sabrina hissed lowly so only Tara could hear. "I don't want to hear any excuses either. If one tiny dead skin cell on your body hurts my family, I will be the one to take you out. Do you understand?"

All Tara could do was nod and back away fearfully. While the others talked, Sabrina slid down the wall back into her corner. She was hoping and praying that Daryl, Rick, Glenn and Bob made it back to them unharmed. Sabrina didn't have any idea what the four of them were going through right now, probably something that would make her stomach turn. Why would they keep people locked into train cars?...Besides of protection for Gareth's group. She was snapped out of all her bad thoughts when she heard an explosion that shook the entire train car.

"What the hell was that?" Sabrina asked standing up with panic written on her face.

The group tried to get the door open but it wouldn't budge.

"What the hell is goin' on?" Abraham growled out hitting the door.

"Someone hit them. Maybe our people got free." Sasha said.

"Excuse me." Eugene said as he was playing with something then kneeled in front of the door.

"What the hell are you doing?" Rosita asked.

"I might me able to use this shell to compromise the door. From the sound of things, there might not be anybody left to open it."

"You don't know that!" Sabrina yelled.

"Hey. My dad's going to be back. They all are." Carl said walking up to the group.

"They are. And we need to get ready to fight our way out of here when they do." Maggie commented.

"Thank you!" Sabrina said.

Just when those words left her lips, a walkers hand could be seen trying to get into the train car. Sabrina backed up against the farthest wall taking deep breaths to calm herself down. This wasn't new, they dealt with walkers 24/7 so why was she so scared now? It had to be because there were dozens of walkers walking around what used to be a secured place, gunshots, explosions and they were pretty much defenseless.

"What's the cure Eugene?" Sasha asked, breaking Sabrina's thoughts and the silence that filled the train car.

"It's classified."

"You don't know what's going to happen." Michonne said.

"You leave him be." Abraham warned.

"We need to keep working." Maggie chimed in.

"Yeah, but it's time to hear it. We don't know what's coming next."

"Exactly, we have the right to know." Sabrina growled out glaring at everyone. "If this outbreak never happened, we wouldn't have to be going from place to place. My daughter would still be alive."

"What's next is we get out of this." Tara said.

"Even if I told you all, even if I provided step-by-step instructions complete with illustrations and a well-composed FAQ and I went red-ring, the cure would still die with me."

"That tells me you're bullshitting us because you don't know the actual cure." Sabrina stated dryly.

Abraham gave her a dirty look before glancing back to Eugene. "I'm not gonna let that happen."

"The best-case scenario, we step out into a hellstorm of bullets, fire, and walkers. I'm not fleet of foot. I sure as hell can't take a dead one down with sharp buttons and hella confidence."

"Yeah, but we can and we will." Michonne stated

"You don't owe us anything. Not yet. But we just want to hear it." Sasha provoked.

"You don't have to." Rosita said.

It was silent for a few moments before Eugene stood up to start his explanation. Sabrina rolled her eyes but listened to the conversation anyway.

"I was part of a 10-person team at the Human Genome Project to weaponize diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made, information shared. I am keenly aware of all the details behind fail-safe delivery systems to kill every living person on this planet. I believe with a little tweaking on the terminals in DC, we can flip the script. Take out every last dead one of them. Fire with fire. All things being equal, it does sound pretty badass."

"So let's get back to work."

Before anyone could get back to work, something was banging up against the train car door. Sabrina jumped up thinking it was another walker but when it opened with Rick, Daryl, Glenn and Bob on the other side a smile spread across her face. The rest of the group fled the train car and went to the fence like Rick said. Daryl handed Sabrina a knife real quick as he took out a walker with a pipe. As the group ran towards the fence, they took out walker after walker to get make a clear path.

"Up and over." Rosita instructed.

They got Eugene over first, then Carl, Sabrina, Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, Tara, Michonne, Bob, Rosita, Rick and Abraham. After getting out they ran a bit into the woods then started walking the rest of the way. Sabrina never left Daryl's side as they walked, she felt like she was going to weep like a baby. Daryl leaned down suddenly and started uncovering the bag of weapons and Sabrina stayed by his side, Rick started helping too.

"The hell are we still around here for?" Abraham asked.

"Guns, some supplies. Go along the fences. Use the rifles. Take out the rest of 'em." Rick explained.

"What?" Bob asked.

"They don't get to live."

Sabrina raised her eyebrow at that statement, that wasn't the Rick she knew.

"Rick, we got out. It's over." Glenn said calmly.

"It's not over till they're all dead." Rick stated as he examined the weapons.

"The hell it isn't. That place is on fire. Full of walkers." Rosita chimed in.

"I'm not dicking around with this crap. We just made it out."

"The fences are down. They'll run or die." Maggie said.

"They're right Rick. They're as good as dead. We need to save the ammo for the real threat." Sabrina said as she clung to Daryl.

Daryl looked over hearing soft footsteps, Sabrina looked up at him with confusion when she felt his body tense up. She was about to ask what was wrong but she looked to where he was looking and Sabrina had the same shocked expression. Not too far was Carol, safe and sound. Her and Daryl ran to Carol, giving the woman a giant bear hug.

"Did you do that?" Rick's voice rang out as the couple broke away from Carol.

Carol tried to hold back the tears as she barely nodded. Rick hugged her tightly, trying to hold back his own tears. Sabrina stayed clinging to Daryl with tears running down her cheeks with a smile.

"You have to come with me." Carol said as her and Rick pulled apart.

The group looked at each other curiously before following Carol further into the woods. As they walked Carol gave Sabrina her throwing knives back and gave Daryl his crossbow back. As they walker hastily up the path, a cabin came into view with someone closing the door. Sabrina gasped loudly seeing that it was Tyreese, who was also holding Judith. Rick, Carl and Sasha went running to them. Rick quickly but carefully took Judith from Tyreese to hug her tightly. Sasha hugged her brother as she cried happily. Sabrina held onto Daryl watching the happy reunion as she cried again as Daryl hugged her close, laying kisses on top of her head. The couple went up to Rick and Carl to check on baby Judith as Carol and Tyreese talked for a second. Rick handed Judith over to Sabrina so he could do a quick look-over at the woods. While he done that Sabrina smiled at Judith, running her hands through the baby's hair with Daryl standing next to her smiling softly at the baby.

"I don't know if the fire is still burning."

"It is." Carol said aloud.

"Yeah. We need to go." Rick stated.

"Yeah, bu' where?" Daryl asked.

"Somewhere far away from there."

"You want me to take Judith?" Carl asked Sabrina.

"Sure, you're her big brother after all." Sabrina smiled as she handed Judith over to Carl. Once he left she turned to Daryl. "What did they do to you?"

"Nothin'. Ya don't need ta know wha' they were gonna do. We're safe from 'em."

Sabrina nodded gently as she softly kissed him. "And Daryl...I need to tell you something."

Before Daryl could ask anything Rick said 'Let's go' and the group headed back to the train tracks, walking away from Terminus.