‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.10

It had been a couple of days and in those couple of days, Daryl had the motorcycle assembled and functional. Sabrina didn't bug him much, only when she took food to him. She knew Aaron and Eric was more then happy to make Daryl something to eat, he was doing them a favor. But Sabrina wanted to take him food, after all Deanna assigned Sabrina as the 'housewife' since she was expecting. And even though Daryl didn't show it or admit it, Sabrina knew he was happy. He was doing his favorite thing; putting together a motorcycle, the group was safe, his wife and unborn child were safe and he felt accepted. The next morning, Daryl, Sabrina, Rick and Carol met up at the meeting spot. After a long talk Daryl and Sabrina had a long talk last night, they had made up their minds and were going to tell Rick and Carol.

"Morning." Rick said.

"Morning." Sabrina yawned.

"Take your pick." Carol said, digging the guns out of her bag.

"You know, we've been thinking..." Sabrina started and looked over to Daryl.

"Do we really need these? I mean, things go bad, yeah, sure. We do wha' we gotta do, bu' it's like ya said. We don't need these fer that."

"Right now we don't."

"Ya wanted me 'nd Shorty ta try, righ'? We're good. I'm good."

"Sabrina, are you sure?" Rick asked.

"Yes, I'm sure." She gave a reassuring smile.

Daryl and Sabrina watched Rick take a gun while Carol bagged the rest of them. As the four of them headed back to the community Sabrina noticed Daryl was awfully quiet. Looking over she saw that he had his guard up and in deep thought, which made her nervous. When they went through the gate Sabrina noticed the motorcycle sitting there, she looked at Daryl anxiously.

"They're already sending you out?"

"Nah, 'm jus' goin' ta take it ou' fer a test run. See how fast it can go 'nd see if I pu' it t'gether righ'."

"Gonna give it test run since the gate's open?"

Daryl glanced at the gate then back to her before answering. "Tha' would make the mos' sense. I was gonna give it a test run when we go' back, jus' wanted ta tell ya firs'."

She nodded before kissing Daryl softly. "Just be careful ok?"

"I will. Ya be careful 'nd ge' some rest when ya can fer our lil' one." Daryl said, kissing the top of her head quickly before anyone saw.

Sabrina watched him mount the motorcycle then started it up. She smiled hearing it roar to life, Sabrina gave him a wave which he returned with a small one before pulling out of the community. She watched Daryl ride away until he couldn't be seen anymore, the gate closed and she walked slowly back to the house. While Sabrina walked back to the house she could hear a dubstep type remix getting closer to her. When she looked up she saw a van coming her way. Deanna's son waved to her and she waved back as she kept walking.

"Morning Sabrina."

"Morning Maggie..." Sabrina glanced back in the direction of where the van was going then back to Maggie. "Who was all in the van?"

"Deanna's son, Glenn, Noah, Tara, Eugene and Nicholas. They're going to go put a device up."

"So the only ones here now is me, you, Rosita, Abraham-"

"Abraham's gone too, along with some others. He's helping them at one of the construction sites." Maggie blinked a few times in surprise. "Where's Daryl?"

"He took his new toy for a test run." Sabrina chuckled. "So he'll be back in a few hours."

"What are you planning on doing until he gets back?" Maggie asked curiously.

"Probably walk around for a bit to get used to this place and probably clean the houses up a bit."

"Make sure you get some rest in between, we all know if something happened to you or the unborn baby, Daryl would be irate."

"There's no doubt in my mind on that. I'll see you later Maggie." Sabrina chuckled softly as she waved to Maggie while walking off.

While walking to the houses that were for the group, Sabrina took in the scenery. Memorizing it. It was like a breath of fresh air, her and the group were safe, they had shelter, there were more survivors...and it was better looking than the prison. Her mind started playing future scenarios about being here. Deanna would show Daryl and Sabrina their own home so they could raise their little boy or girl, the two and a half of them would live happily ever after. Sabrina couldn't help but let a smile form across her face as her left hand rested on the tiny baby bump. Coming up to the sidewalk of the house Sabrina saw the little kid named same leaving one of the houses that Deanna assigned for the group.

"Hi Sabrina." The kids said with a wave before he jogged away.

"Hey Sam." She said to him before going up to the porch steps and into the house.

"Sam, I swear-"

Sabrina gave Carol a confused look as she shut the door. Since when was Carol so annoyed with kids? She had a daughter, she took care of Judith, Lizzie and Mika...

"Expecting someone else?"

"No, just thought Sam needed something else." Carol stated, shaking the deer in the headlights look off. "How are you feeling?"

Sabrina raised her eyebrow but dropped the subject. "I'm starting to get tired but other then that I'm fine."

"You should go upstairs and lie down for a bit. You need all the rest you can get."

Giving off a nod Sabrina started for the stairs. "I think I'll do that..." Climbing a couple of stairs Sabrina stopped and turned around. "You're not off the hook Carol, I'm going to find out what's going on with you." With that Sabrina turned back around and went upstairs to a bedroom.

After making it into the bedroom she shut the door then flopped down onto the bed with a groan. Sabrina didn't even bother kicking off her shoes, she was too tired and she found a comfortable spot. After a few minutes of listening to the old fashioned alarm clock going tick-tock Sabrina's eyes grew heavy and she went out like a light.

She didn't wake back up until the smell of something sweet was baking, giving off a satisfied sigh Sabrina sat up slowly, raking her fingers through her hair. Finally waking up a bit more she decided to stand up and head down to the kitchen to see what was being baked but stopped on the stairs when she heard a kid's voice.

"Sometimes when I get sad, I break stuff."

"What kind of stuff?" Silence. "You said somebody broke your owl statue. Did you break it?" More silence.

Sabrina leaned up against the wall listening in on Carol and Sam's conversation.

"Why? Why are you here?" Carol continued asking questions.

"Why did you steal the guns?" Sam quipped back.

"'Cause sometimes you need to protect yourself."

"Can I have a gun?"

"Why do you want one?"

"It's not for me."

Hearing Sam say that made Sabrina's heart sink, the kid wanted his mother protected from his father.

"Who's it for?" Silence. "Sam, who's it for?...Sam." Carol called after the kid but he was already out the front door.

Sabrina shook her head as she came down the steps and walked into the kitchen with a frown.

"How much did you hear?"

"Enough to know him and his mother aren't safe with Pete around." Giving off a sigh she combed her fingers through her hair again. "We've got to tell Rick. He'll get to the bottom of it and protect them."

Carol nodded. "I think I saw him enter the other house a little while ago. But first I'm going to go to their house to make sure Jessie's alright."

"Alright, I'll go see if Rick's at the other house. And Carol, be careful." Sabrina said as they walked to the front door.

While Carol went to Jessie's house, Sabrina went to the other house that was for the group to see if Rick was there. Opening up the door she called out for Rick and saw him coming down the steps with his index finger over his lips.

"Just laid Judith down, what's wrong?"

"Sorry..." Sabrina took a deep breath. "I...I mean Carol and I found out about something and you're going to have to get involved..."

Rick ushered her away from the stairs and was about to ask a question but the front door opened and Carol stepped inside then closed the door.

"Pete's hitting Jessie. Maybe Sam, too." Carol said, not beating around the bush.

Rick looked from Carol to Sabrina. "Are you absolutely sure? You know this how? Sam tell you?"

"He didn't have to." Carol stated.

"Sam said he wanted a gun to protect his mother." Sabrina said.

"That night, when I went to get the guns, Sam saw me taking some but didn't say a word to anybody about it. And I just came back from Jessie and Pete's...I asked to see Jessie or Sam but Pete shut the door in my face...Rick, I know how this is gonna go with Pete. There's only one way it can go."

Sabrina and Rick looked at each other before looking back at Carol, Sabrina had a weird feeling in her stomach as she looked at Carol curiously...even though she knew what was about to be said.

"You're gonna have to kill him." Carol said.