‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Finale

It seemed like this day was never going to end, if Sabrina had to guess what time it was, it was around noon according to the sun's position. She had helped Carl with Judith, made them lunch, gave Judith a bath then laid her down for a nap. After laying Judith down, Sabrina decided to clean up the other house that was the groups. By the time she was done she was exhausted, Sabrina sat down in one of the chairs that was in the living room. Kicking her feet up onto the coffee table she let out a contented sigh once she found a comfortable spot.

"Do you need anything?"

Cracking one eye open and looking to the right Sabrina saw Carl standing there. "I'm good Carl. Are you okay?" She asked, now both of her eyes open, giving him a concerned look.

He gave a shrug. "Guess I'll be alright...is it okay if I go see my dad?"

"It's fine with me but I don't know where he was drug off to...I'm sure if you find Michonne, she'll let you know where he is."

Carl nodded before walking to the door.

"And Carl, be careful."

"I will." He said to Sabrina before walking out the door to find his dad.

It was just Sabrina and Judith, who was sitting on the floor playing with a few toys that the community gave to her. As Judith tried to put the right shapes into the holes Sabrina smiled as she remembered Ana as a baby trying to figure things out. If blocks didn't fit in the right place or if things didn't move right on a toy, Ana would throw it in frustration and not touch that toy again for a month or two. Sabrina was glad that her late daughter grew out of that stage finally and she started wondering if Ana would have been excited knowing that she was going to be a big sister. Surely Ana would've been, she always dreamed of being a big sister and Ana loved Daryl to pieces which was a bonus. But sadly Ana's not around to hear the news...Sabrina snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Judith babbling.

"Whatcha doing sweetie?" Sabrina asked softly as she slid out of the chair and to the floor with Judith.

Judith babbled again with a smile and handed her a star shaped block then babbled again. It was like she was trying to tell Sabrina to put the star shaped block into the right hole. Sabrina smiled then started playing the 'Let's see where it fits' game. The two of them played that for a while before Carl came through the door while Judith yawned.

"Back."

Sabrina looked over to Carl with a soft smile. "Everything go ok?"

He shrugged. "I guess. He's still K.O'd but when he wakes up Michonne will talk to him then let my dad go."

"Didn't think Michonne punched Rick that hard." She blinked in surprise as she got up then swept Judith up. "I was just about to fed Judith then lay her down for a nap."

"I'll do it." Carl said reaching for the tired baby. "And the meeting's tonight."

"Alright, thanks Carl." Sabrina carefully handed him Judith. "I'm going to go to our other house and clean up a bit. If you need anything, come over and let me know ok?"

He gave a nod and a thanks then Sabrina left house number when and went to house number two. She had already cleaned the place up and it looked like Sabrina was the only one in house number two at the moment so she took the opportunity to go take a bubble bath. She was so grateful that there was hot water because her back was killing her and Sabrina needed a way to relax. Stripping everything off she carefully stuck her toes in the hot water to test the temperature before submerging herself into it. She gave a loud contented sigh as she closed her eyes, all the bad felt like it faded away in that moment. Losing track of time, Sabrina finally got out and dried herself off then wrapped the towel around her and looked in the full length mirror. Running her hands down the towel that was wrapped around her body, her hands stopped at the small bulge where the baby was developing. As she turned to the left and right, looking at the baby bump Sabrina couldn't help her mind from going down the 'what if' path. What if the meeting tonight was a waste of time? What if Deanna's already made her decision? What if Rick gets kicked out, will Daryl want to stay at the community to keep Sabrina and the baby safe? What if Deanna kicks them all out? Then the unborn baby would have no actual safe home. What if Daryl doesn't even make it back from this recruit? What if Sabrina delivered the baby and it came out as a stillborn? Hearing the sound of footsteps down in the kitchen snapped Sabrina out of her thoughts, she quickly dressed and drained the water before heading down the steps just in time to see Carol leaving with the casserole she made. Sabrina sighed as she watched Carol walk away from the house and out of Sabrina's view. Turning back around, Sabrina headed back upstairs to the bedroom that was deemed as hers and Daryl's to take a nap before the meeting so she could have a clear head.

The sun was setting by the time Sabrina woke up, sitting up she ran her fingers through her hair. Sliding out of bed she put some sandals on before heading downstairs and out the door, hoping she wasn't too late for the meeting and hoped Deanna would forgive her lateness even with what's happened. Jogging down the sidewalk Sabrina had finally made it to the entrance of Deanna's yard, regaining her breath she went through the threshold and towards the group of people waiting for the meeting to start.

"Sorry if I'm late I-"

"It's alright, the meeting's just now starting." Reg said politely with a soft smile.

Sabrina nodded as she stood next to a concerned Maggie.

"We're going to start."

"Can we wait? There's still people coming. Glenn, Rick." Maggie said.

"We're going to start. It's already dark. We're going to talk about what happened. Not the fight. Not what precipitated it. We're dealing with that. We're going to talk about one of our constables, Rick Grimes. We're going to talk about how he had a pistol he stole from the armory, about how he pointed it at people. And we're going to talk about what he said. I was hoping he'd be here." Deanna explained, completely ignoring Maggie's request.

Bitch. Sabrina thought as she was already getting angry.

"She said he's coming." Michonne stated.

"I'm sure he'll be here. And I'm sure we can work this all out." Carol said with a fake smile.

"Exactly, you gotta give everyone a chance to get here before you start. Especially the person that we're going to be talking about." Sabrina stated as she tried not to sound snappy.

But the pleads were heard by deaf ears, the meeting started anyway. Sabrina kept her arms crossed and blocked the meeting out as she thought of Daryl. When was he going to be back? Was he on his way? Did he run into trouble? Was he injured? Did him and Aaron find a group or someone to bring back? Sabrina finally came out of her thoughts as Michonne was saying her finishing statement.

"And after being out there and then not being how you were out there it can drive you crazy. Rick just wants his family to live. He wants all of you to live. Who he is, is who you're gonna be if you're lucky."

Sabrina nodded in agreement as Michonne stepped back then Carol stood up to start defending Rick.

"Rick Grimes saved my life over and over. There's terrifying people out there.
And he rescued me from them. People like me, people like us need people like him. I know what happened last night was scary. And I'm sure he's sorry for that. But maybe we should listen to what he was saying." Carol sat back down then Abraham spoke up.

"Simply put, there is a vast ocean of shit you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit and then some."

"There's very few people like Rick, and now there's even less since the world's changed. Sure, he's battled his demons. I know everyone here has and if you say you haven't then you're a liar. Rick has been there for the group since day one. He's always had everyone's back even when nobody asked for it, he did it. He does everything that he can to protect the people he cares for. And if you're going to punish and ridicule him for doing that, protecting, then y'all need to rethink your morals." Sabrina explained then leaned against the brick fence so Maggie could talk.

"My father respected Rick Grimes. Rick is a father, too. He's a man with a good heart who feels the things he does, the things he has to do. And all of us who were together before this place, no matter when we found each other, we're family now. Rick started that. And you won't stop it. You can't. And you don't want to. This community, you people that family you want to be a part of it, too."

"Before we hear from anyone else, I-I would like to share something in the spirit of transparency. Father Gabriel came to see me the day before yesterday and he said our new arrivals can't be trusted, that they were dangerous, that they would put themselves before this community. And not one day later, Rick seemed to demonstrate all the things Father Gabriel said. I had hoped Gabriel would be here tonight."

Sabrina raised her eyebrows questionably then looked over to Maggie before looking back to Deanna with an eyeroll.

"I don't see him here, Deanna. So you're just saying what someone said. Did you tape him?" Jessie finally spoke up.

"He's not here." Maggie said.

"Neither is Rick." Deanna countered.

"Excuse me." Maggie said before taking off.

Sabrina dug her fingers into the long sleeves that were covering her arms from the cold as she gritted her teeth in annoyance, she was so close to exploding on this Deanna bitch. Then one of the community members stood up to speak.

"I just want to keep my family safe. You know? And I don't even know what that means anymore, but if it means that we've got to get rid of-" But he cut himself off and looked over to where footsteps were heard.

Sabrina looked in the direction of where everyone else was looking and gasped loudly at what she saw. Rick had come through the archway carrying a dead walker then tossed it in front of him, breathing heavily.

"There wasn't a guard on the gate. It was open."

"I asked Gabriel to close it." The guy that was on gate duty earlier said.

"Go." Deanna ordered and the guy high-tailed it out of there.

"I didn't bring it in. It got inside on its own. They always will. The dead and the living, because we're in here. And the ones out there they'll hunt us. They'll find us. They'll try to use us. They'll try to kill us. But we'll kill them. We'll survive. I'll show you how. You know, I was thinking-I was thinking how many of you do I have to kill to save your lives? But I'm not gonna do that. You're gonna change. I'm not sorry for what I said last night. I'm sorry for not saying it sooner. You're not ready, but you have to be. Right now, you have to be. Luck runs out." Rick preached.

Sabrina was going to clap at Rick's speech but she turned white at what she saw next.

"You're not one of us. You're not one of us!"

"Pete, you don't want to do this." Reg spoke, going to an angry sword holding Pete.

"Get the Hell away from me, Reg."

"Pete, just stop." Reg tried again.

Deanna went to her husband to try and help him calm Pete down, Sabrina carefully walked over and stood next to Rick and Carol.

"Not now." Carol whispered to Rick, who was getting ready to pull out the gun.

The match between Pete, Reg and Deanna went on for a few moments until Pete had enough and sliced Reg's throat with the sword. Abraham tackled and pinned Pete, Deanna caught her husband screaming no and crying, Sabrina stood there in shock next to Carol and Eugene. There was nothing anyone could do, Reg was dead in a matter of seconds.

"Rick. Do it."

Without hesitation Rick followed Deanna's command and with one shot, Pete was dead.

"Rick?"

Sabrina's attention was drawn to the voice of a dark colored man and next to him were Aaron...and Daryl.

"Daryl?" Sabrina's eyes teared up as she ran past Rick and went straight into Daryl's arms, letting the sobs flow freely.

She didn't know how long she'd been wrapped up in Daryl's arms, Sabrina didn't even know what was going on around her anymore or that the scenery changed from outside to the bedroom of hers and Daryl's.

"Wha' the Hell happened while I was gone?"

"You should've stayed. Rick flipped his lid. He was trying to protect Jessie then him and Pete were in the street fighting. His mouth overloaded his ass, Michonne K.O'd him. Then somehow walkers got in. We were having a meeting about the fate of Rick and Pete came with a sword, trying to kill Rick but-" Sabrina started sobbing again.

Daryl had leaned his crossbow on the nightstand then sat down on the bed, pulling her with him. He hugged her tightly.

"Reg tried to get Pete to calm down but he ended up getting his throat slashed..." She buried her head into his neck still crying. "Deanna told Rick to do it. Daryl, what's going to happen now?" Sabrina lifted her head up with tears streaming down her face as she looked at him.

Daryl honestly didn't know what to do. He would stand by Rick but Rick just flew off the handle and he didn't know what to do at the moment. He would stay by Sabrina but he didn't know how to deal with the fluctuating hormones. The only thing Daryl knew right at this very moment was his wife and unborn child needed him. Daryl didn't say anything as he wrapped his arms around Sabrina and laid them back on the bed. As they laid there wrapped in each other's arms, Daryl kissed her forehead every once in a while until the exhaustion from the day took them over.