‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.3

Panicked voices. That's what Sabrina woke up to, everyone's panicked voices. Rubbing her eyes she sat up and observed the scene. Sabrina tilted her head with confusion when Sasha said three members of the group were missing. Looking around she noticed that Sasha was right, Bob, Daryl and Carol were gone. Getting up from the pew Sabrina walked slowly up to the front of the church as Sasha pulled out her knife, which caused everyone to panic more.

"Who's out there?" Sasha asked, closing in on Gabriel.

"I- I don't have anything - to do with this."

"Where are our people?"

"I don't have anything to-"

"Where are our people?!"

"Please, I don't have anything to do with this."

Sabrina crossed her arms over her chest watching, Sasha could be scary when she needed to be. She just hoped that Daryl was alright and that Gabriel was telling the truth about not being connected to the disappearances. If he was connected then his life would be more of a living hell.

"Why'd you bring us here?" Rick asked calmly as Sasha backed away.

"Please, I-"

"You working with someone?"

"I'm alone. I'm alone. I was always alone."

"What about the woman in the food bank, Gabriel? What did you do to her? 'You'll burn for this.' That was for you. Why? What are you gonna burn for, Gabriel? What? What did you do? What did you do?!" Rick asked, lunging at Gabriel for a scare factor.

"I lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night. I always lock the doors at night. I always- They started coming, my congregation. Atlanta was bombed the night before and they were scared. They were- they were looking for a safe place, a place where they felt safe. And it was so early. It was so early. And the doors were still locked. You see it was my choice. There were so many of them and they were trying to pry the shutters and banging on the sidings, screaming at me. And so the dead came for them. Women. Children. Entire families calling my name as they were torn apart, begging me for mercy. Begging me for mercy. Damning me to hell. I buried their bones. I buried it all. The Lord sent you here to finally punish me. I'm damned. I was damned before. I always lock the doors. I always lock the doors." Gabriel said, spilling his guts out sobbing.

Sabrina frowned and looked to the ground at her feet. She couldn't begin to imagine on how much Gabriel was hurting on the inside but she did know about being and feeling alone. She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard someone whistling...from the outside.

"Glenn?" Sabrina asked uncrossing her arms walking over to him to look outside too.

"There's something- there's someone outside lying in the grass."

"Sasha." Rick said going after her as she made her way out the door.

Rick told Sabrina to stay put as he and the others went outside. Her eyes grew wide in shock when she heard Sasha crying Bob's name as they brought him in. Rick shot off his gun a few times then came inside and locked the doors. The group laid Bob in the aisle of the church and Sabrina gasped when she saw his leg was gone from the knee down.

"Bob what happened?" She asked kneeling next to him.

"I was in the graveyard. Somebody knocked me out. I woke up outside this place.
It looked like a school. It was that guy, Gareth. And five other ones. They were eating my leg right in front of me. Like it was nothing. All proud like they had it all figured out."

"Why did you go out there in the first place? Was Daryl and Carol with them?" Sabrina asked frantically.

"I needed some air." Bob grunted a bit. "Gareth said they drove off." He groaned.

Sabrina's mind went blank, why would those two go off together?She tried shaking the bad thoughts away so they could tend to Bob.

"He's in pain. Do we have anything?" Sasha asked.

"I think there are pill packets in the first aid kit." Rosita said softly.

"Save 'em."

"No." Sasha said to Bob.

"Really." Bob sat up with difficulty and showed everyone his shoulder.

Everyone stared in shock, Sabrina's eyes started to water.

"It happened at the food bank." Bob explained.

Bob laid back down with the help of Sasha.

"There's a sofa in my office. I know it's not much but..." Gabriel piped up.

"Thank you." Sasha said looking over to Gabriel.

"I got him." Tyreese said standing up, as did the others.

Sabrina got up and sat down in the nearest pew trying to process everything that's happened in the short few days while rick talked to Gabriel. Sabrina and Daryl find Rick. Kill Joe's gang. She finds out that she's pregnant. They go to Terminus only to be locked in train cars to be eaten. They escape, thanks to Carol. They're reunited with Judith, Tyreese and Carol. Sabrina tells Daryl that she's pregnant. Daryl acts like a jackass to the news. They save Gabriel. They have shelter and food because of Gabriel. Daryl apologizes for being a jackass to her. She falls asleep only to wake up to Bob getting partially eaten and bit...while Daryl and Carol drove off together. Why did the two of them go off together? Did it boil down to Daryl didn't want to take responsibility in being a father? Or were those two secretly infatuated with each other? Or was it Sabrina's hormones getting the better of her? Letting out an annoyed groan, she rested her forehead against the pew in front of her. And she was more annoyed hearing Abraham speaking up.

"Time for a reality check. We all need to leave for DC right now."

"We? We are not leaving without Daryl!" Sabrina said jumping up, glaring at the redheaded male.

"Daryl and Carol are gonna be back. We're not going anywhere without them." Rick said.

"I respect that, but there's a clear threat here to Eugene. I need to extract his ass before things get any uglier. So if y'all won't come, good luck to you. We'll go our separate ways."

"Eugene's survived this long, he and D.C can last for a bit longer. But if you can't wait to leave, more power to you. Bye. Au revoir. AdiĆ³s. Arrivederci. Don't let the door hit you on your ass." Sabrina said walking away to check on Bob. "How are you doing Bob?"

"Good as I can be." Bob grunted trying to sit up.

"Don't, I don't want you in anymore pain then you already are." Sabrina frowned with tears prickling her eyes.

"Sabrina..." He extended his hand out and touched her cheek. "Don't cry, save the tears for something more important.

She was about to say something but Sasha came in, Sabrina wiped her tears quickly before standing up.

"I'll let you guys have some time alone." Sabrina said softly before turning back to Bob and squeezed his hand. "I'll see you later." She pecked the top of his hand before exiting the room.

When she exited the room she leaned up against the wall, closing her eyes to regain her composure. Rick came up to Sabrina, rubbing her arms comfortingly.

"I know Sabrina..."He said softly and pulled her in for a hug, which she returned. "We've made a plan. You, Carl, Judith, Bob, Tyreese, Rosita, Eugene and Gabriel will stay here while the rest of us head out. Me and the others are going to sneak attack Gareth and his group. I want you, Carl, Judith, Ty, Rosita, Eugene and Gabriel to be locked in Bob's room. Understand?"

All Sabrina could do was nod. "Ok. We're leaving in a few so go to the room where Bob is. Lock it and stay put."

"Alright." She said as the two of them let go.

Once Rick and a few others left, Gabriel shut the doors and everyone else hid quietly in a room. It was silent for several moments until the front doors of the church squeaked open. Sabrina's heart rate spiked as she tried to keep her breathing silent and under control. She seen Carl take out his gun and aim it to the office door, ready to shoot anyone that came through it.

"Well, I guess you know we're here. And we know you're here. And we're armed. So there's really no point in hiding anymore." Gareth's voice rang out. "We've been watching you. We know who's here. There's Bob, unless you've put him out of his misery already. And Eugene. Rosita. Martin's good friend Tyreese. Sabrina. Carl. Judith. Rick and the rest walked out with a lot of your guns. Listen, we don't know where you all are, but this isn't a big place. So let's just stop this now before things get more painful than they need to be."

Sabrina sat there quietly on the floor with her knees up to her chest trying to keep calm. She jumped when the doorknob started rattling, she buried her face into her knees to keep silent.

"Look, you're behind one of these two doors and we have more than enough firepower to take down both. Can't imagine that's what you all want."

They heard a gun cock on the outside of the door and heard the creaking of the floor again.

"How about the priest? Father, you help us wrap this up, we'll let you walk away from this. How about the radiant Sabrina? I know your secret. One look at you and I knew you were expecting a baby." Gareth provoked.

Sabrina gasped silently as her hand made it's way to her belly when Gareth stated that she was pregnant. Everyone looked at her in shock then put their attention back to the door, hearing Gareth again.

"It would be awful to have to kill you and your unborn child. I'm sure your husband Daryl would be devastated to see you laying in a pool of your blood and his offspring dead inside of you. Just open the door and you can go. You can take the baby with you. What do you say?"

Sabrina was on the verge of a panic attack as Gareth drew closer. She jumped suddenly when Judith cried. 'Shit!' her mind screamed as she crawled to Judith.

"Shh." Sabrina said quietly as she rubbed Judith's stomach.

"I don't know. Maybe we'll keep the kid. I'm starting to like this girl." Gareth's voice was now at the door. " It's your last chance right now to tell us you're coming out."

They could hear mumbling but couldn't make out what Gareth was saying. Before anything happened to them, they heard bodies fall to the floor. Sabrina let out a relieved sigh, knowing that it was Rick and them. And it was music to their ears when they heard Rick's voice and a pained cry come from Gareth. Sabrina could hear Gareth talking about how they saved people then changed. Tyeese finally opened the doors and peeked out before wandering back into the room. Sabrina got up to see and wished she hadn't...there was blood everywhere and Gareth's looked like he got mauled by a wild animal. Sabrina darted for the front doors and down the steps. She doubled over at the side of the steps, throwing her guts up. That wasn't out of protection, that was out of pure rage, Rick had changed. Sabrina slid down the exterior wall, letting her head fall back against the siding with a sigh. She didn't know how long she was out there until someone was shaking her lightly. Letting out a yelp, she opened her eyes to see that it was morning and to see Rick.

"Don't do that."

"Sorry. You ok Sabrina?"

"Yeah...just needed some air." She looked around. "How long was I out here?"

"For a few hours. I kept coming out here to make sure you were alright." Rick helped her up. "Everything's cleaned up now..."

Sabrina nodded silently as she brushed herself off and frowned when she saw Tyreese carry Bob's wrapped up body out. After the group had a little service for him, Abraham and his gang went to the bus. Rick and him exchanged a few words before they took off. Sabrina sat on the steps enjoying hearing the bugs and birds making noise for once instead of hearing walkers. She finally headed inside to take a nap in one of the pews, Sabrina had to get caught up on some sleep. Hours past until she was awoken by the doors opening up. Sitting up and rubbing her eyes she let out a groan, noticing that it was nightfall again.

"Everything ok?" She asked looking to the doors and gasped loudly not believing her eyes. "Daryl?"

Before he could get a grunt out, Sabrina had tackled him in a paralyzing hug and sobbed uncontrollably. For that moment, nothing else mattered, it was just her and Daryl.