‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.4

What felt like a century, which in reality was minutes, Sabrina finally released Daryl from the hug. She then leaned up, wrapping her arms around his neck, kissing Daryl all over his dirty sweaty face.

"I'm sorry Shorty. I followed Carol ta see why she was gonna leave the us...bu' the car tha' took Beth, passed us 'nd we followed it the bes' we could." Daryl whispered to her.

She looked into his eyes surprised. "The car passed by you?"

"Yeah. We followed it then ran inta him." Daryl said pointing his thumb behind him to a black boy that looked to be about Beth's age. "Tol' us him 'nd Beth tried escapin' a hospital bu' they captured Beth."

"Ok...then where's Carol?" Sabrina asked, even though she didn't really care. The reason for not caring was because she knew Carol had a crush on Daryl since the camp and she was welcomed back in open arms but wanted to be on her own anyway.

"While leavin' a buildin' Carol was the first one ta go out. A car came outta nowhere. Purposely hit her 'nd took off with her."

She looked over to the new boy curiously. "Do you have a name?"

The boy nodded as he limped forward slowly. "Noah." He extended his hand.

"Sabrina." She smiled shaking his hand. "Why don't you sit down so I can wrap your ankle?"

He nodded and limped to one of the pews. Sabrina went to get the first aid kit with Daryl right behind her.

"Where is everybody?"

"Well..." Sabrina stopped talking for a moment to keep her emotions in check. "Turns out Gareth and a few others survived. They captured Bob...ate part of his leg. And Bob revealed that he got bit at the food bank..." She looked up at him sadly. "He died yesterday..."

Daryl frowned while nibbling at his bottom lip, he had no words.

"And Abraham's group along with Glenn, Maggie and Tara are heading to D.C with that bus..."

Daryl scowled and grumbled. "He jus' couldn't wai' another damn day?"

"Guess not. Abraham and Rick had an alpha male argument the night before about it. Glenn broke it up though...and everyone knows that we're having a baby thanks to Gareth. When he looked at me the first time, he knew."

"Where's Gareth's body now?" Daryl growled out.

"They burnt it." She sighed. "Daryl, Rick's changed again...when he killed Gareth with the red handled machete, it wasn't out of protection, it was rage. Rick slaughtered him."

Daryl sighed, ruffling his hair. "Le's jus' hope he snaps outta it. Tha's all we can do righ' now Sabrina. Where is he righ' now?"

"Last time I saw him he went into that room with Carl and Judith." She said pointing to one of the offices.

He nodded. "I'll go talk ta him. 'Nd make a plan on gettin' Beth 'nd Carol back."

Sabrina nodded. "I better get Noah's ankle wrapped up then me and you can get some sleep. No buts, we both need sleep."

Daryl grunted and shooed her away. "Go ge'. I'll see ya in a few."

Nodding, Sabrina pecked Daryl's cheek before heading to Noah. Noah was pretty quiet while she bandaged Noah's leg, she didn't know if he was shy, nervous or tired. She had a feeling that he was nervous and tired though...if he was shy, he wouldn't have introduced himself and shook her hand.

"You don't have to nervous around us. If you know Beth and was nice to her then we're your friends too." Sabrina smiled softly at Noah.

He nodded with a small smile. "We covered each other's backs at the hospital. And that's why I'm going back with you guys to help her get out."

"You sure? I mean you can barely walk."

"I'm the only one that knows where the hospital's at. When they took off with the gray haired lady, Daryl said that we needed back up."

"And he's right." She sighed, finishing on wrapping Noah's ankle then stood up. "Nothing is ever easy when it comes to the group. There's always something or someone coming after us...and I don't mean the walkers. We always show up at the wrong times..."

"I understand that."

Just then Michonne walked up to them with a soft smile.

"Oh, this is Michonne, she's going to give you some food then you need to rest. We've got a big day later, we need all the rest that we can get."

Noah nodded to Sabrina and Sabrina headed to the pew that she had been sleeping on. It wasn't long until Daryl plopped down next to her tiredly. He pulled her on top of them as he leaned back to lay down and she gladly laid on top of him. Before anyone knew it, they were out like a light. Morning finally showed itself and Sabrina was woken up from Daryl shifting below her and rubbing her back. Letting out a yawn Sabrina sat up in time for Rick to come over to them. He told them what they needed to do to the church and what they were going to do when they got to the hospital before walking off to tell the others.

"Daryl, I'm coming with you guys."

"No yer no'. Yer gonna stay here where it's safe. I don't wan' ya 'nd our baby hur'."

"I understand that but I want to help out. I feel like I'm doing nothing for the group and I feel like I'm limited on what I can do." Sabrina said as the others started to break things down in the church.

"Ya are helpin' ou'. By stayin' here 'nd stayin' safe. Ya won't be alone, Carl, Michonne, lil' ass kicker 'nd Gabriel will be here."

"What am I supposed to do here with them then? We know Carl and Michonne can do just fine on protecting themselves, Judith and Gabriel." She let out a sigh. "Daryl I'm going, whether you like it or not. Then we'll be even for you just running off in the middle of the night." Sabrina went over to the piles of wood and picked a few up. "But before we leave, I'm going to help with the windows."

Sabrina took a hammer and some nails before heading outside as Daryl glared at her retreating frame. She started to board up one side of the church by herself while Michonne, Rick and Carl were on the other side doing the same thing. When Sabrina was done she let out a sigh and slid down the wall to sit in thought. When they got to the hospital, what should they expect? Was it going to be easy? Then again, nothing was ever easy. After a few hours of making the church safe, Rick, Tyreese, Sasha, Noah, Daryl and Sabrina headed to the box truck that Daryl hot wired to get back here. They went through the woods a bit to get to the truck and once they got there, they piled in. The ride to Grady hospital was long and quiet, which for Sabrina was a blessing...she needed as much sleep as possible. The sun was beating down on everything when they arrived at a building that wasn't too far from the hospital. They quickly got out of the box truck searched the place, then Rick started making a plan.

"At sundown we fire a shot into the air. Get two of them out on patrol. Then once it's dark enough that the rooftop spotter won't see us, we go. We cut the locks on one of the stairways, take it to the fifth floor. I open the door, Daryl takes the guard out."

"How?" Tyreese asked Rick.

"He slits his throat. This is all about us doing this quiet, keeping the upper hand. They're not expecting us. From there, we fan out. Knives and silenced weapons. We need to be fast." Rick explained then started drawing 'X's in the dirt. "Tyreese, Sasha, take them. Daryl, you take care of whoever is in the kitchen. Sabrina and I got Dawn. If they're smart, the rest of them will give up. Then it'll be six on three. Seven on three once we get a weapon to Beth."

"Thirteen on three, the wards will help." Noah said.

"That's best case." Tyreese chimed in. "What's worst case? All it takes is one of those cops going down the hall at the wrong time. Then it's not quiet. All hands on deck. We're talking about a lot of bullets flying around."

"If that's what it takes." Sasha said.

"It's not. If we get a couple of her cops alive out here, we do an even trade. Theirs for ours. Everybody goes home." Tyreese explained.

"Yeah, I get it. And it might work. This will work." Rick said, getting up again.

"Nah, that'll work too. Ya say this Dawn, she's jus' tryin' ta keep it together, righ'?"

"Trying and doing are two different things." Noah said.

"Ya take two of her cops away, wha' choices does she have? Ever'body goes home. Like he says." Daryl finished, pointing to Tyreese.

Rick thought for a moment then nodded. "Alright, let's gear up."

The group geared up and got into their positions, before Daryl left he kissed Sabrina and told her to be safe. Noah fired a few shots into the sky then everyone waited, Sabrina hoped that it wasn't going to be a long wait though. And to Sabrina's luck, they didn't have to wait too long because a patrol car was headed to Noah. The group got their weapons ready and came out of hiding as soon as they detained Noah. Daryl whistled, which startled the officers.

"Hands." Rick said.

"What do you want?" The woman cop asked.

"Whatever this is, we can help." The guy cop said.

"You do what we say, we don't hurt you." Rick said.

"Okay." The guy cop said, surrendering first then the woman followed.

"Good." Rick praised. "Now turn around. Put your guns on the floor and kneel. We need to talk."

The cops did what they were told. Sasha zip-tied the woman and Daryl zip-tied the man while Tyreese cut Noah loose and Sabrina picked the weapons up.

"There's water if you need some and food." Rick stated.

"Mind if I ask you something? The way you talk the way you carry yourself were you a cop?" The man asked as Daryl pulled him off the ground. "Believe it or not, I was too."

Sabrina looked over to Rick to see if he was going to answer that or if he wanted Sabrina to do it.

"That's Lamson." Noah informed. "He'll be down for this. He's one of the good ones."

"You guys hear something?" Sabrina asked.

Before anyone could answer, here came a squealing car.

"Shorty! Take cover!" Daryl yelled.

Sabrina took cover behind what looked like a turned over table as everyone fired at the car. Once the fire seized she came out of her spot and followed the group to where the car headed. Sabrina gasped softly seeing dismembered but still alive walkers on the ground. The group went through the maze slowly, trying to find these cops again. They saw them make a run for it so they chased after them. Once they finally caught them Sabrina turned around and smiled, ready to tell Daryl that they got them again but he was nowhere to be seen and her smile faded.

"Daryl?" Sabrina called out frantically. "Daryl, where are you?"

She took off running back the way they came and cried out when she saw Daryl on the ground, an officer on him and a walker crawling their way. She let out a sigh of relief when he dismembered the walker, using the skull to hit the officer. Once the officer was off Daryl she raised her gun, shooting the walker in the head then pointed it to the officer with narrowed eyed.

"Don't you dare move a millimeter." Sabrina growled out with her finger on the trigger.

"Okay." The bald cop said. "You when you bitch." He said slowly getting up.

"I'm the biggest one you'll ever meet." She cocked the gun, ready to pull the trigger but Daryl's voice hit her ears.

"Sabrina. Three's better then two." He said going behind the cop and zip-tying him.

Sabrina un-cocked the gun with a smug smile. The group met up with each other back at their hideout.

"Your friend, what's his name? I need to talk to him. Your plan is going to get me and my friends killed."

"We're gonna make it work." Sasha said.

"Trust me, we don't care about you and your friends. We want ours back that you're holding against their will." Sabrina spat.

"It would work if you had different cops to trade. Dawn's running Grady into the ground. A bunch of us want her out and she knows it. Pretty sure she knows we want Lamson to replace her, too."

"Dawn doesn't know that." The bald cop said to the woman cop.

"She might. And she's smart. So there's a good chance you can't make this deal work and that'll leave us all dead. But if you let us go, we'll take care of Dawn ourselves and then we'll let your friends go and this is over."

Sabrina rolled her eyes with extreme annoyance. "I'm not buying it. Not even a little. See, we've already had encounters with people just like you. You say you're going to do this but then you back-stab us."

"No, we're not going to do that." Lamson said.

"Do you want to die?"

"I just need you to shut up right now. You can make this work. But you've got to be able to talk to her."

"Noah told us all about her." Sasha informed.

"I've known her for eight years, ma'am. I know this woman. And my only interest is peaceful resolution, not dying, and sleeping in my bed tonight. So, please, let me help you. Please." Lamson pleaded.

Sabrina rolled her eyes and crossed her arms at the cops while Daryl called Rick over. Sabrina pecked Daryl's cheek.

"I need to walk around the building for a bit before I really go off."

He grabbed her arm gently. "Alrigh' bu' yer ok righ'?"

"Yeah. Just hormone changes. Better get ready Daryl." She whispered to him with a chuckle and pecked his cheek.

Sabrina put a gun in her holster then took a walk throughout the building to clear her head. She walked around the building for about fifteen minutes before Daryl ran up to her.

"Sabrina, ya see Lamson come through here?"

"No. Why?"

"He decided ta trick Sasha. Now he's runnin' again."

"Great. We need to find him before he tells the others."

Daryl nodded and the two of them ran out of the building to look for Lamson...again.