‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.5

While Sabrina and Daryl looked for Lamson they took down a few walkers as the two of them came to a 'fork in the road'. Sabrina panted as she looked to the left then to the right.

"Which way should we go?" She asked looking up at Daryl.

"Beats me. I'd say le's split up bu' tha' ain't gonna happen."

Their ears perked up when they heard Rick's voice echoing and bouncing off the buildings.

"Is tha' Rick?"

"Sounds like he's using the PA system in the the cop car...." Sabrina looking around. "Which means he found Lamson. Think we should help or head back to the hide out?"

"Rick's go' a gun 'nd a car, he'll be fine. We should head on back ta make sure the others are alrigh'." Daryl said, looking down to Sabrina.

She nodded and the two of them headed back to the building that they were camping out at. When they got there they saw Sasha sitting quietly and fuming.

"You didn't find him."

"No. Rick found him, they should be back soon." Sabrina informed as she slid down the wall in the shade to catch her breath.

As the group waited for Rick and Lamson to come back, they kept a close eye on the other two officers. After a while Rick came back empty handed, Sabrina got up and dusted herself off, looking towards Rick curiously. He motioned for her and Daryl to follow him a little ways from the group to talk.

"Where is he?" Sabrina asked.

"He wouldn't stop."

"This change things?" Daryl asked Rick.

"It has to."

"Maybe not."

"She said the plan won't work. The guy who did is dead. Maybe we gotta rethink this."

"They also said the cop in charge didn't have any love for him. Maybe ya did her a favor." Daryl reminded.

"I don't know if they'll play ball."

"Well, let's find out." Sabrina said walking away from them, back to the group.

The two followed her then stopped in front of the officers, Sabrina looked to Rick then back to the cops with narrowed eyes.

"He was a good man. He was attacked by rotters. Saw it go down." The woman said.

"Huh. You're a damn good liar." Rick said.

"We're hanging by a thread here. He was attacked by rotters. That's the story."

"Finally one of you has common sense. If you guys would've cooperated the first damn time nobody would've died and we'd be long gone by now." Sabrina crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Ya said the trade was a bad idea. Wha' changed?"

"Lamson was our shot. So it's this or you go in guns blazing, right? You don't want that." The female cop said.

"If this is some bullshit yer spinnin'--'nd things go south--"

"I know. I know the good ones from the bad. Let us help you."

"What about you? You wanna live? How much?" Rick asked the bald cop.

"Dawn's afraid she'll look weak in front of us. Thinks it'll tip things against her. She'll see this trade as a rip-off if she thinks you took out one of our guys. So it's a good thing Lamson got aced by rotters."

Rick turned to Sabrina and Daryl and the two of them gave him a nod. Rick nodded then kneeled down to draw an illustration of their plan to get into the hospital to get Beth and Carol back. Once he was done explaining on who had what job, everyone nodded and went to their positions. Tyreese and Sasha went up to the roof top first to scout the surroundings while Rick left the building and everyone else made their way slowly up to the rooftop. The rest of the group, along with the officers went up to the roof to gear up. Sabrina looked over to Tyreese and Sasha, who were looking out and talking to each other. She could tell Sasha was having a difficult time with Bob's death and her letting her guard down. After Tyreese finished talking to her, Daryl kissed Sabrina quickly before walking to Sasha to be on lookout.

"How's she holding up?" Sabrina asked Tyreese as he made it back to them.

He sighed. "She's beating herself up on the inside...but I know she'll pull through, she always does."

Sabrina nodded then heard Daryl snap his fingers. Tyreese picked up a walkie-talkie and spoke into it.

"They're headed towards the vantage point."

"Okay. Copy that." Rick's voice came through.

Sabrina walked over slowly to peek at what was going on.

"Everything going good so far?"

"Fer now. Ever'thing's calm righ' now. Now ge' back in case it goes south 'nd bullets star' flyin'."

Sabrina nodded to Daryl before backing away then headed back to Tyreese and the officers.

"You married to the country boy?" The female officer asked.

Sabrina raised her eyebrow. "What gave it away? The ring?" She lifted her left hand to show the diamond ring. "Us going with each other everywhere? Or maybe it was the kiss that gave it away?"

"I'm just trying to have a civil conversation."

"Maybe I don't want to have a civil conversation with you. We're not friends and never will be. So stay out of everyone's business and worry about your own."

Rick's voice came through the walkie-talkie again, causing Sabrina to let out a sigh of relief.

"We've got a way in. Everyone can come down now."

Sabrina picked the walkie-talkie up. "Copy that." She looked at everyone. "You heard him, let's get moving so we can get out of here."

Tyreese helped the female cop up and Daryl yanked the male one up. Sabrina gathered some of the groups' things up with the help of Noah. Daryl, Sabrina, Noah, Tyreese, Sasha and the two officers made their way out of the building and approached the other officers.

"See, they're safe." Rick said to the officers he was talking to.

"Follow us." One of them said as the two officers that negotiated with Rick got into their police car.

The group followed the car silently, mentally gearing up for this Dawn woman. They walked for about ten minutes before finally stopping at Grady hospital. They all looked at each other while the officers got out of the car and motioned them to follow. The group followed them silently and cautiously into the hospital.

"What floor are we heading to?" Sabrina asked quietly.

"The fifth floor." One of the cops answered, making his way to the stairs.

The journey to the fifth floor was time consuming, if the elevators worked, it would've been much easier. Sabrina made a pros and cons list in her head about taking the stairs. Pros; Exercise and working out the muscles for when it's time to deliver the baby. Cons; Tired, out of breath, legs hurt and sweaty. The group finally made it to the fifth floor and down a couple of hallways before reaching closed doors. Sabrina tried peeking over Rick's shoulder but the window in the door was too narrow.

"You see Beth and Carol?" She asked.

Rick turned his head towards her with a nod. "Yeah." He looked back through the window.

"Holster your weapons." A female's voice came over the police ear pieces.

Rick looked at the group. "You too."

The group complied before the doors were open for them. They all walked through a little ways and stopped while the two male cops that Rick talked to kept walking and stood behind Dawn.

"They haven't been harmed." Rick stated.

"Where's Lamson?" Dawn asked.

"Rotters got him." The female cop said.

"We saw it go down." The bald male one said.

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. He was one of the good guys." Dawn paused for a moment. "One of yours for one of mine."

"Alright." Rick said then motioned for Daryl to take the bald one forward.

"Move." Daryl said gruffly, giving the guy a nudge.

Sabrina watched intently as Daryl went forward, her fingers were getting antsy to pull the gun out to protect Daryl. One of the cops on the other side picked up a bag and wheeled Carol over to Daryl. Daryl took the bag quickly and wheeled Carol back to her rightful group.

"Welcome back." Sabrina smiled softly to Carol, giving her a gentle hug.

"Thanks." She said.

Sabrina watched Rick walk the female officer down the hall a bit as Dawn done the same with Beth. Sabrina stood close to Daryl and slipped her hand into his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Once their transaction was a success, Beth went straight to her rightful group. Sabrina smiled happily and gave Beth a hug, which the blonde young woman returned eagerly.

"Glad we could work things out." Dawn's voice rang out.

"Yeah." Rick said.

"Now I just need Noah. And then you can leave."

Sabrina looked to Noah then back to Rick as his voice met her ears.

"That wasn't part of the deal."

"Noah was my ward. Beth took his place and I'm losing her, so I need him back."

"Ma'am, please, it's not--"

"Shepherd!" Dawn scolded. "My officers put their lives on the line to find him.

"One of them died."

"Nah, he ain't stayin'." Daryl said walking to stand by Rick's side, pushing Noah slightly back to the group.

Sabrina held onto Noah's arm lightly, signaling him to stay put. There was no way they were going to give Noah back to this bitch.

"He's one of mine. You have no claim on him."

"The boy wants to go home, so you have no claim on him." Rick said firmly.

"Well, then we don't have a deal."

"The deal is done."

Noah slipped out of Sabrina's grasped and limped forward to Rick.

"It's okay." Noah said.

Rick put his arm out, still looking at Dawn. "No."

"No. I got to do it." He told Rick as he handed the gun over.

"It's not okay." Beth said softly.

"It's settled." Dawn said as Noah started forward.

"Wait!" Beth said, marching up to Noah and gave him a hug.

"It's okay." Noah told her.

Sabrina started getting teary eyed, she wished that there was a way to have Noah tag along with them. He was a good kid that wanted to get back to his family, he didn't deserve to stay here.

"I knew you'd be back."

Sabrina glared at Dawn, the only reason why he tagged along was to help get Beth and Carol out and find his family. Sabrina watched Beth let go of Noah and marched up to Dawn, looking her straight in the eyes, not afraid.

"I get it now." Beth said to Dawn.

Sabrina gasped horrified at the scene that came next. Beth stabbed Dawn and Dawn pulled out her gun on instinct and shot Beth.

"No!" Sabrina cried out trying to make a run to Beth's limp body on the floor.

Tyreese and Sasha held onto Sabrina tightly so she wouldn't be in the crossfire. Everything was slow motion for Sabrina, she barely comprehended that Daryl pulled out his gun and show Dawn in the head. She finally gave up on trying to break free from Tyreese's hold, she turned around and sobbed uncontrollably on his shoulder. When Tyreese finally let her go she ran over to Daryl, hugging him tightly. He buried his face into her neck crying while she buried her face into his chest sobbing. Sabrina could feel a warm sticky liquid on her jawline, she didn't have to think on what it was...Beth's blood, which made her sob even more. When the two of them finally calmed down Daryl let go of Sabrina and went to Beth, Sabrina followed and kneeled down. She leaned over, placing a delicate kiss on Beth's forehead before running her fingers gently down Beth's pale face.

"We're so sorry Beth....we'll never forget you...you'll always be with us." Sabrina choked out, placing another kiss on Beth's forehead before getting up slowly.

Daryl kneeled down and picked Beth's pale limp body up and the group made it slowly down the stairs. It took quite a while but they made it to the front doors finally. Looking up Sabrina saw Abraham, Glenn, Michonne, Maggie and Tara coming their way. Seeing Maggie's face in pure sorrow, crying out and falling to the ground when she saw Daryl with her younger sister in his arms broke Sabrina's heart even more. Sabrina walked next to Daryl with her hand resting on his lower back, she could feel him trying to keep the tears in as the two of them stopped in front of Maggie. Letting out a sigh, Sabrina looked up to the sky with teary eyes, how was everyone going to cope? And what were they going to do now?