‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.6

One million, four hundred sixty-eight thousand, eight hundred seconds. Twenty-four thousand, four hundred eighty minutes. Four hundred eight hours. Seventeen days...it's been seventeen days since the group witnessed Beth's death at Grady Memorial Hospital. Beth was finally standing up to Dawn, she was building a backbone, she was finally figuring out on how to survive by herself, yet she was murdered at a young age, just a little over eighteen. Sabrina witnessed it all on how Beth developed since the world changed. Cutting her wrists, to wanting to survive, taking care of Judith, tried to defend the prison before they had to retreat and learning how to survive out in the open. Sabrina still couldn't wrap her head around all the events, Beth was like a little sister that she never had. And it didn't just affect her about Beth being gone, it affected everyone...especially Daryl. He was closing everyone out, including his pregnant wife Sabrina. She gave him his space, he didn't go to her for support. She went to Daryl to get him to open up, he wouldn't. As of this point, Sabrina didn't know what to do. The gang split up for a few hours, Rick was going to take Noah to the last place his family was. While Rick and part of the gang was gone, things were pretty quit with the rest of the gang.

Hours had past when Rick had come back with one less person, Tyreese. Noah told us all what happened and Sasha had a break down. Rick led the group to where they buried Tyreese, Father Gabriel said a few words for Ty's 'funeral service' and the group headed on, even more torn then before. As the group walked forward, the only sounds that could be heard was the wind, feet shuffling and walker growling in the distance. The group stopped for a few minutes because Maggie had to 'go to the bathroom' but Sabrina knew that she needed some time to herself. While the group was stopped Daryl and Sabrina went into the woods to try and find food for the group. Sabrina looked around and was actually surprised that there wasn't a squirrel in sight. Her attention was brought to something or rather someone tapping her leg, looking down she saw Daryl. He held out a couple of worms for her to take but she just looked at the squirming things.

"Jus' eat em'."

Sabrina almost jumped out of her skin when she heard Daryl's voice. That was the first time she's heard his voice in the past seventeen days. Slowly taking the worms she looked at them with a sour face. She looked at Daryl, who found another worm and ate it like it was chocolate cake. Gulping, Sabrina took a deep breath and put the slimy squirming worms into her mouth. She had to pretend they were ice cream or cake because if she didn't they would come back up with the water and stomach acid. After they had their fill on worms, the silent couple came upon Maggie then they came upon Sasha, who was kicking dirt around. The four of them hiked their way out of the woods and back to the road to the rest of the group slowly. Even though the couple was silent, Sabrina snaked her hand into Daryl's and entwined their fingers. She needed some sort of comfort, even if it was a simple squeeze of his fingers. When they finally made it to the van, everyone climbed in and then they took off up the road. A few hours past before the van stopped and Abraham's voice rang in everyone's ears.

"We're out, just like the other one."

"So we walk." Rick spoke.

Everyone piled out of the van and began the slow silent journey up the road. Sabrina tagged along side Daryl and Rick while the others tagged not too far behind. She watched Daryl start to walk backwards to make sure everyone was still keeping up before turning back around.

"We're not at our strongest. We'll get 'em when it's best. High ground, something like that. They're not going anywhere. It's been three weeks since Atlanta. I know you lost something back there."

Daryl looked over to Rick and down at a fussy Judith. "She's hungry." Daryl stated an observation and wanting to change the subject.

"She's okay. She's going to be okay."

"We need ta fin' water. Food."

"We'll hit something in the road. It's gonna rain sooner or later."

"I'm gonna head ou'." Daryl said handing Sabrina the gun. "See wha' I can find."

She took it slowly with a silent sigh as Rick spoke.

"Hey, don't be too long."

Daryl gave a quick nod to Rick before looking to Sabrina. He chewed on his lip for a second before placing a kiss on her forehead then walking towards the woods.

"I'll go with you." Carol spoke up, which caused Sabrina to roll her eyes.

"I go' it." Daryl said, blowing Carol off for the umpteenth time.

"You gonna stop me?" Carol fired back.

Sabrina just shook her head because of the gray haired persistent woman. Daryl and Carol vanished into the woods while the others kept walking up the road. Sabrina could hear a little chit-chat from Maggie and Carl then Maggie and Gabriel. She almost felt bad for Gabriel, everyone snapped at him when he was just trying to be helpful. The group finally came upon what people like to call an overpass or bridge. Below was a huge ditch, Sabrina and Rick observed it.

"Think they'll stay in there?" Sabrina asked looking at Rick.

"It should. At least for a little while to get us a head start."

Rick told the group on what they were going to do, after the explanation Rick looked over to Sabrina.

"Go to where Carl, Eugene and Judith are. I don't want you or your unborn baby getting hurt. Daryl wouldn't be a happy camper."

Sabrina just nodded and walked to where Carl, Eugene and Judith were, there was no point in arguing. She stood next to Carl and watched them push the walkers one by one down the steep hill. Everything was going fine until Sasha attacked one that's when all hell broke lose. Sabrina ran forward drawing her throwing knives out and started helping the group take the walkers down. Once the walkers were dead Sabrina marched to Sasha and glared at her.

"Why the hell can't you listen?! Do you have any idea that you could've put all of us in danger?! That's including Carl, Judith and my unborn child! I know you lost your brother! Newsflash, we all have lost people that we loved and cared about! If you think you're so badass and a walker's not going to hurt you because of your rage then fend for yourself! Don't be putting the group in danger because you want to act out on your anger and feelings!"

Sasha got up, glaring at Sabrina and Michonne before walking away. Sabrina just shook her head then turned around to see that Daryl and Carol were back. Sabrina walked by Daryl's side quietly while they all followed Rick up the road again. While on the long walk Sabrina was watching the sky, she looked at the clouds, she knew that it was going to rain today but didn't know when. The group slowly stopped walking when Carl pointed out a few cars in the middle of the road.

"I'm gonna head inta the woods, circle back." Daryl said.

"May I come with?" Carol asked.

Again Sabrina rolled her eyes at Carol but kept quiet.

"Nah. Nah, jus' me." Daryl said walking away from the group and disappearing into the woods.

Sabrina sat down in the shade to try and cool down, her body was overheating. Seeing Carol come up, she held in an annoyed groan.

"Hey Sabrina." Carol said softly, sitting next to her.

"Hey."

Carol let out a sigh. "I'm starting to worry about Daryl. He's closed everyone out and I'm afraid he's going to go back to his old ways."

Sabrina groaned. "Carol. Everyone has their own way with coping things. You try to talk to Daryl, he doesn't open up. You give him space, he doesn't open up. He'll tell talk to one of us when he's ready. Most likely me since you know, I'm his wife." She looked at Carol with a knowing look. "I'm not stupid Carol. I know you had a crush on him when we all first met at the camp. I know you still have a crush on him but you got to learn, he doesn't like you that way. Get over it." Sabrina stood up to go sit somewhere else in the shade.

After a while her body finally cooled down a bit but panic arose when everyone heard branches cracking. She let out a relieved sigh when Daryl came out of the woods and to the group. Sabrina could tell when Daryl plopped down next to her he was upset because he didn't find anything to eat for the group. There was small talk among Tara, Rosita, Glenn and Eugene but that was cut short when vicious snarling was heard. Snapping their heads to the woods on the other side of the road they saw four dogs. The dogs started barking and everyone was pulling knives out to kill them but before anyone could get up to take them out, Sasha had already killed them with the silenced gun.

"Way to go. Use what little ammo we have." Sabrina mumbled lowly.

Rick was the first one up to break sticks, Daryl was the second one up to skin the dogs.

"Looks like dinner's served." Daryl stated as he skinned them.

Once they were skinned and roasted the group ate quietly. If Sabrina wasn't so hungry and pregnant, she would've refused on eating dogs but she knew that she had to eat to make sure the developing baby was getting enough nourishment as the group could come up with. After the groups stomachs were full, they got up and headed up the road again in silence. Sabrina walked alongside Daryl watching Glenn try to get Maggie to take a drink of water. Sabrina knew what Maggie was going through and felt. Sabrina didn't want to eat or even climb out of bed after her daughter Ana got killed, it was the worse feeling in the world not being there to protect her.

"Daryl." Glenn's voice snapped Sabrina out of her thoughts.

"Nah. I'm a'righ'." He said refusing to take the water bottle.

"Sabrina."

"I've got a little bit left." She smiled softly towards Glenn.

"Daryl." Glenn tried again.

"Don't."

"Hey, we can make it together. But we can only make it together." Glenn said, still walking forward.

Daryl stopped but motioned for Sabrina to keep going, which she did reluctantly. Looking behind her, she saw that Daryl was gone...again. Letting out a huff Sabrina turned around and walked to where she knew Daryl entered the woods at.

"Where are you going?" Abraham asked, taking another drink of liquor.

"Gotta go pee. I'll be right back." She stated before venturing into the woods slowly.

Using the tracking skills that Daryl taught her, she found Daryl roughly ten minutes later leaning up against a tree. She made sure not to make any sounds or sudden movements because if she did, he would accidentally end her life or yell at her for not staying with the group. Leaning up against a tree she looked around and seen an old barn, she blinked a few times in surprise. The group could actually crash there for the night and have shelter when it finally decided to rain. Tilting her head curiously, Sabrina looked over to Daryl when she heard a sniffling noise come in his direction. Was he crying?...The only other time when she was around him while he was crying was when he had to put Merle down. She watched him sadly as he finally had his breakdown. Should she come out of hiding to go comfort him then get scolded later for not staying with the group? Or just go back to the group and pretend she saw nothing? Weighing her options she stepped forward, into the clearing, kneeling down next to Daryl and embraced him tightly as he sobbed. Feeling him hug her tightly and bury his face into her chest, Sabrina ran her fingers soothingly through his hair.

"Don't keep it bottled up. Just let it out." She spoke softly.

Minutes past by before Daryl finally calmed down but still held her.

"Daryl...I'm here for you know matter what. Please don't shut me out. I know what you're going through. I went through it too..." She kissed the top of Daryl's head before resting her chin against his head. "You were there for me when Ana died. You helped me through it..and I'll always be here for you to help you through it and comfort you."

They spent a few more minutes in each other's embrace before pulling apart to get up. They started heading back to the group but made a little stop because Sabrina indeed had to go to the bathroom. The couple finally made it back to the road and to the group hand in hand. Rick came up to them with a note that read in black permanent marker 'From A Friend'. Sabrina looked at the note curiously then to the jugs of water in the middle of the road.

"What else are we going to do?" Tara asked.

"Not this. We don't know who left it." Rick answered.

"If that's a trap, we already happen to be in it. But I, for one, would like to think it is indeed from a friend." Eugene said.

"What if it isn't? They put something in it?" Carol stated.

Eugene went for the water while some called out to him not to, of course he didn't listen so Abraham stepped up, smacking the bottle out of his hand.

"We can't." Rick said sternly.

Sabrina shook her head then looked up to the darkening sky as she heard thunder close by. A few seconds later the rain gates opened up on the group. Sabrina had a huge smile spread across her face feeling the cool droplets hit her dirty overheated body.

"Everybody get the bags. Anything you can find." Rick finally called out.

The group started opening up their bags, taking everything out that could hold the water falling from the sky. While the bottles were filling up with water, Sabrina watched the sky turn darker and darker. Watching the clouds she seen some low hanging clouds...which meant this storm hasn't even started yet.

"Daryl..."She said looking at him as her hair clung to her face.

"Come on. Let's keep moving." Rick stated.

"Daryl, we need shelter..."

Daryl looked to Sabrina then to the sky, Judith then Rick. "There's a barn."

"Where?" Rick yelled over the thunder.

Daryl and Sabrina motioned for the group to follow them quickly. A few minutes past before the group came to the clearing where the barn was. Rick, Carol, Abraham, Glenn and Maggie went into the barn first to see if it was clear. Once everyone got the clear they shuffled in quickly and shut the doors. Everyone picked their own spot while Daryl, Sabrina, Rick, Carl, Judith, Glenn, Carol, Michonne and Rosita sat near the small fire.

"I'll try." Glenn said.

"Nah, too wet."

Rick looked over to a sleeping Carl and Judith then Carol spoke up. "He's gonna be okay. He bounces back more than any of us do."

"I used to feel sorry for kids that have to grow up now. In this. But I think I got it wrong. Growing up is getting used to the world. This is easier for them."

"This isn't the world. This isn't it." Michonne said to Rick.

"It might be. It might." Glenn spoke up after looked over to Maggie.

"That's giving up."

"That's reality." Glenn shot back at Michonne.

"Until we see otherwise, this is what we have to live with." Rick said breaking up the argument.

Sabrina laid down next to Daryl, using her arm as a pillow watching the fire and listening to Rick's story.

"When I was a kid I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer. He said that was grown-up stuff, so...so I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him. But he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself, "Rest in peace. Now get up and go to war." And then after a few years of pretending he was dead he made it out alive. That's the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC, I know we'll be okay. Because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves that we are the walking dead."

"We ain't them." Daryl finally spoke up before snapping a couple of twigs.

"We're not them. Hey. We're not." Rick spoke softly.

"We ain't them." Daryl said again standing up and grabbing his crossbow before walking off.

Sabrina let out a sigh as she watched Daryl leave...AGAIN. She sat up then stood up slowly.

"You ok?" Glenn asked.

"Yeah. Just going to turn in for the night..."

Making her way to where Daryl said they were going to sleep, she heard the chains rattling on the barn door. Peeking around the corner she saw Daryl look out then try to keep the doors closed.

"Daryl?..."

Her face turned white when she heard snarling and the winds picking up rapidly.

"Shit!" She hissed running to help Daryl keep the barn doors closed from the walkers and the pending tornado.

"Sabrina ge'! I go' it!"

"No!" She said looking at him sternly.

The two of them couldn't hold the doors by themselves. Once Maggie shot up, she came running. One by one the group came to the barn doors to help keep them closed. The group was one again. After the tornado vanished everyone smiled and hugged each other before picking spots to sleep again. Daryl sat down leaning up against a wall, pulling Sabrina down with him. He kissed her deeply and lovingly before running his fingers affectionately through her hair.

"Ge' some sleep shorty."

Sabrina smiled with tears in her eyes before resting her head against Daryl's leg. It wasn't too long after until Sabrina passed out. She finally awoke to hearing Maggie and Daryl talking, she just laid there with her eyes closed listening to them.

"He was tough."

"He was." Maggie agreed.

"So was she. She didn't know it, but she was." Sabrina felt Daryl shuffle a bit before speaking again. "The gearbox had some grit in it."

"Thank you." Maggie said softly.

She heard Maggie get up and Daryl finally moved to lay down. Sabrina smiled happily, snuggling into Daryl's side and kissing his cheek.

"Morning."

"How long ya been up?"

"Long enough to know you gave Maggie the music box. Let's get some more sleep." She wrapped her arm around Daryl's waist, snuggling into him more.