‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.8

As the gate opened, Aaron and Eric were the first ones in. The group stopped momentarily while the gate opened all the way, revealing the community behind it. Everyone jumped when a trash can fell over, Sabrina snapped her head to is to see a now dead possum with an arrow through it, thanks to Daryl. He picked it up by it's tail and examined it real quick, Sabrina chuckled a bit hen she saw the look on Aaron face.

"We brough' dinner." Daryl sassed.

"It's okay, come on in guys." Aaron said, stepping aside to let the group in.

One by one they went in. Daryl. Sabrina. Glenn. Maggie. Rick with Judith. Carl. Michonne. Carol. Tara. Abraham. Rosita. Eugene. Gabriel. Sasha. When everyone was in, the gate shut a guy spoke up.

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons. Stay, you hand them over."

"It's fine, Nicholas." Aaron said softly.

"We don't know if we want to stay. If we were gonna use them, we would have started already." Rick stated.

Sabrina inwardly nodded, Rick did have a point. The place seemed safe though...then again Terminus looked safe too until they showed their true colors and motives. And the prison was safe until a sickness made it's way inside. Sighing, Sabrina rested her head on Daryl's sweaty shoulder and rubbed the barely noticeable baby bump forming.

"Let them talk to Deanna first." Aaron said.

"Who's Deanna?" Abraham spoke up.

"She knows everything you'd want to know about this place...Rick, why don't you start?" Aaron answered Abraham then turned his attention to Rick.

Sabrina lifted her head off Daryl's shoulder and looked behind her when she heard snarling.

"Sasha."

Sasha nodded slightly to Rick then turned around, aimed her gun and fired it, nailing the walker in the forehead.

"It's a good thing we're here." Rick said before following Aaron.

The group followed closely behind, checking out the new surroundings and keeping cautious. A few moments past by before they reached a luxurious house. Sabrina looked at in awe, when the world was normal, she always dreamed of living in a house like this one. But that was just a dream, in reality she knew that she'd never would've been to afford a house like this one. Nicholas went up the steps to the house and knocked on the door. It felt like an eternity for Sabrina to see who was on the other side of the door, even though in reality it was mere seconds. The door finally opened and there stood a middle aged woman with dirty blonde shoulder length hair. Nicholas talked quietly with her before heading back down the steps and she put on a warm smile.

"Welcome, I'm sure you all will love it here. Before all of you can go further, I'd like to interview all of you first."

"Why?" Sasha's voice rang out.

Sabrina tried her best not to roll her eyes, even she knew why this middle aged woman wanted to interview them. To make sure that the group wasn't dangerous and get a feel for everyone.

"To evaluate us. See if we fit in. See if we're a threat or not." Sabrina said dryly.

The blonde haired woman nodded in agreement, the smile never faltered. "That's exactly right. Who's first?"

Daryl nudged Sabrina forward a bit and she raised her brow at him curiously.

"Get's ya outta the heat fer a few 'nd I'm sure there's chairs ya can sit in. Ya need ta res' yer feet."

Sabrina smiled knowingly, translating it to 'Go cool down and rest a bit for our baby. But I'm not going to come out a say that because I'm still getting a feel for this place so I got to keep my badass image up.'

Leaning up she pressed a kiss to his cheek and whispered, "Love you too."

Sabrina was the first one up the stairs and smiled politely to the woman.

"I'm Deanna Monroe." The blonde haired woman said smiling and sticking her hand out.

"Sabrina Dixon." Sabrina answered, shaking Deanna's hand.

"Come in and sit down. Make yourself comfortable." Deanna said, ushering Sabrina in.

Sabrina walked slowly into the house, letting out a contented sigh when she felt semi-cool air. She looked around the place in awe, yeah before the world changed, someone wealthy lived here. Sabrina walked into the living room area and sat down in the chair carefully, she smiled at the soft feeling.

"Do you mind if I film this?"

"Not at all...I mean if it's standard."

Deanna smiled, hitting a button on the camera that was on a tri-pod before sitting down across from Sabrina.

"Could you state your name again? Just for future references."

"Sure. I'm Sabrina Dixon."

"Thank you. I have to ask, what was your occupation before things changed?"

Sabrina shifted in her seat a bit to get more comfortable and to stop the urge of having to use the bathroom.

"I used to be a dispatcher for a local police department and going to school for a nursing degree."

"Really? Wow, so you know a lot about the medical field?"

"I only got to cover the basics before the world changed."

"I see. What county were you dispatching for?"

"King county."

Deanna nodded then smiled softly when she seen Sabrina's finger. "And it looks like you're married?"

Sabrina nodded with a smile. "Yeah."

"Do you have any kids?"

Sabrina frowned at that question as her heart began to hurt. "I did..." She paused for a second to gather her thoughts, it was still hard for her to talk about it. "Anabelle, she was the sweetest...but this new world killed her..." Sabrina held back the tears as she remembered that day.

"I'm so sorry to hear that." Sabrina could hear the sympathy and frown in Deanna's voice without looking up. "What about your husband?"

Sabrina wiped her eyes quickly before looking back up to the blonde haired woman. "He's standing outside right now."

Deanna smiled softly with a nod. "May I ask which one?"

"The one with the crossbow." Sabrina chewed on her lip nervously, wondering if she should say the next part of not. "And we're having a baby..."

"Congratulations, you, you're husband and unborn child will be safe here. And you all will love this place." She extended her arm and pressed a button on the camera before standing up. "Thank you for letting me get to know you a bit."

"It's no problem." Sabrina smiled as she stood up, extending her hand out.

The two women shook hands again before Deanna escorted Sabrina to the door. Once she was down the stairs Rick went up next. Looking around she found a brick wall type fence with shade so she went over to it and plopped her ass in the cool grass. She smiled softly when Daryl came over and sat by her.

"How'd it go?"

"It was pretty easy. Just a few 'get to know you' questions."

It wasn't long after until Rick came out and another went in. As this process went on, a heavy set brunette woman with glasses appeared with a cart.

"Wonder what that's about?" Sabrina asked looking over to her husband.

"Look's like we're 'bout ta find out." He stood and helped Sabrina off the ground when he saw Deanna come down the stairs.

"You're guns need to be handed over...They're still your guns. You can check them out whenever you go beyond the wall. But inside here, we store them for safety."

Sabrina didn't have any on her, just her throwing knives so she was clear. She watched everyone put their guns in the bin and raised her eyebrow at Carol. Carol was acting like she never held a gun before and that earned a shake to the from Sabrina.

"Should have brought another bin." The brunette joked softly as she left.

"Aaron will lead you to your new homes. Since this group is so big, I've given you two houses."

After the little introduction to the community was done, Aaron showed the group their new homes. One was a dull blue, almost gray colors and it looked like it had a possible three stories. The house on the right was a creamy beige color, two stories. Both looked beautiful, had a front porch, lawns kept in shape and the houses kept in shape. While Rick, Carl and Aaron talked, the rest of the group went into the creamy beige house to check it out. Sabrina was in awe when she entered the home, it was spacious and beautiful. And as much as she loved the group, she was hoping one day Deanna would let her and Daryl have a place of their own so they could try to be a happy family. But Sabrina had a feeling she was getting her hopes too high. They rest of the group finally made their way to the other house to inspect it.

"You're not coming in?" Sabrina asked from the door when she saw Daryl sit at the top of the step, getting ready to clean the possum.

"Nah. I go' ta ge' this done. Ya go on in 'nd ge' cleaned up, since there's runnin' water. Ya need ta be healthy fer our liddle one." He said softly, to only where she could hear him.

She nodded. "Alright, I'll be back in a few."

Sabrina went inside completely, found a decent pair of clothes that had been waiting for her and went up to shower. Feeling the hot water roll down her body, sent her to a wonderful place, she never thought that she'd ever have a hot shower again. After Sabrina washed all the dirt and gunk off she shut off the water, dried herself and wrapped the towel around her before stepping out of the shower. Wiping the steam off the mirror, she examined her face. You could tell she was barely eating, her cheek bones were showing more, which meant the baby wasn't getting enough to eat. Sabrina frowned at that thought but started looking on the bright side, they're in a safe place...for now...and they'll have plenty of food. She finally got dressed and brushed through her knotted up hair before opening the bathroom door. Walking down the stairs she seen that the whole group was there, Sabrina went and sat by Daryl and watched Rick ut Judith into the playpen.

"We're staying under one roof tonight." Rick explained.

Sabrina nodded, it made sense since this was still a new place and the group was still hesitant on it. Michonne came out of the bathroom looking very refreshed and she joked a bit. But that was short lived when everyone jumped at the sound of a knock at the door. Rick opened the door to see Deanna...which was stunned at the new looking Rick.

"Rick, I- Wow."

Rick groaned in response, which made Sabrina bury her head into Daryl neck chuckling. The middle aged blonde woman was having the hots for Rick for a moment.

"I didn't know what was under there. Listen, I don't mean to interrupt. I just wanted to stop by and see how you were all settling." Deanna said after her recovery and looked around. "Oh, my. Staying together. Smart."

"No one said we couldn't."

"You said you're a family. That's what you said. Absolutely amazing to me how people with completely different backgrounds and nothing in common can become that. Don't you think?"

"Everybody said you gave them jobs."

Sabrina lifted her head up in confusion. Jobs? Deanna didn't even bring up about putting her on a job...

"Mm-hmm. Yeah. Part of this place. Looks like the communists won after all." Deanna laughed.

"Well, you didn't give me one."

"Or me..." Sabrina spoke softly after Rick.

"I have. For both of you. I just haven't told you two yet. Same with Michonne. I'm closing in on something for Sasha. And I'm just trying to figure Mr. Dixon out, but I will. You look good." Deanna said before leaving and Rick shut the door.

Sabrina held in a snicker, Deanna was ever going to figure Daryl out. The group finally relaxed more and settled for the night. Sabrina cuddled against Daryl and fell asleep instantly. She was the last one to wake, groaning Sabrina got up and warmed the oatmeal that was made for her. When she was done, she rinsed the bowl then headed upstairs to see what other clothes she could put on. Going through the closets, Sabrina finally found something, a sundress. She stripped out of her old clothes and put it on then looked into the full length mirror. She smiled at the reflection and put her hand on the small baby bump that was visible through the dress, she put on some sandals then headed down the stairs. Making it down the stairs, Sabrina looked out the window to see Daryl working on his crossbow and Carol in a white collared shirt with a blue vest and dark pants. Judging by the look on Daryl's face, he was thinking the same thing Sabrina was. Carol looks ridiculous. She laughed softly when she seen him scoff and Carol walked down the steps calling out to him, that's when Sabrina emerged from the house.

"I'm gonna hose you down in your sleep." Sabrina heard Carol call out.

"You look ridiculous." Daryl called back.

"I was thinking the exact same thing." Sabrina said with an amused voice.

Daryl's attention went to his wife and he looked her up and down.

"Like it?..."

Sabrina got nervous when Daryl didn't say anything, he just kept looking at her. She finally saw a hint of a smile spread across his face.

"The bump or my appearance?"

"Both."

Sabrina smiled widely before going to him and kissing him lovingly. "You know..I'm for once agreeing with Carol, you could clean up a bit."

"Though' ya liked me dirty?"

"I do but I bet you look nice cleaned up too." Sabrina sighed when he didn't take the hook. "Daryl, please?"

"A'righ'. Bu' let's walk 'round a bit."

Sabrina smiled as he stood up off the railing and entwined their fingers together. They walked in silence, checking out the surroundings and listening to the peacefulness. But that was short lived when they made it to the gate. Tara, Noah, Glenn, Nicholas and some other guy were there, Glenn and the guy were exchanging words.

"Le's see wha's goin' on." Daryl dropped Sabrina's hand and the two of them walked quickly towards Glenn.

"Say that again." The guy said, getting close to Glenn.

"Back off Aiden." Tara said.

Sabrina stopped and watched carefully then looked over to Daryl when she saw this Aiden guy push Glenn.

"What should we do?"

"Glenn's got this."

Sabrina looked back to Glenn and Aiden, her anger rising by the second.

"Aiden! What is going on?" Deanna's voice rang out.

"This guy's got a problem with the way we do things. Why did you let these people in?"

"Because we actually know what we're doing out there." Glenn shot back.

Sabrina gasped as Aiden took a swing, which Glenn ducked and punched him in the face. Deanna yelled at Aiden and Nicholas went to jump in but Daryl body slammed him to the ground, choking him.

"Daryl!" Sabrina yelled, going to him.

Rick ran up and helped Sabrina get Daryl off the poor kid.

"Let's not do this now."

Rick finally got Daryl to back off and Sabrina stood in front of her husband so he couldn't get past her. He paced around like a wild caged animal but Sabrina kept up with his pace, blocking his way each time.

"Daryl...breathe. It's done." She said softly, resting her hands on his chest.

"I want everyone to hear me, okay? Rick and his people are part of this community now in all ways as equals. Understood?" Deanna commanded. She glared at her son.

"Understood." Aiden said.

"All of you, turn in your weapons." She looked at Aiden and Nicholas quickly. "Then you two come talk to me." Deanna looked over to Rick. "I told you I had a job for you. I'd like you to be our constable. That's what you were. That's what you are." She looked to Michonne. "And you, too." Then Deanna looked over to Sabrina. "And I thought I had a job for you but I didn't know you were that far a long. So for now you can stay home. Will you accept?" She looked at all three of them.

"Okay." Rick said.

"I'm in." Michonne stated.

Sabrina was about to open her mouth to say okay but her attention was drawn to a retreating form.

"Daryl?..." Sabrina looked over to Deanna. "Excuse me." She then ran after Daryl.

The two of them made it back to the house and stayed silent, she knew Daryl needed his space so she pecked his forehead and went inside. When Sabrina sat on the couch, she fell over to her side with a sigh, everything was perfectly fine then with a flip of a switch things turned ugly. She shut her eyes, letting sleep take over her body. When she awoke it was nightfall and the others were gathering inside. She sat up to see Rick coming down the stairs in a police wind breaker and headed outside. Getting up, Sabrina went outside and stood by Daryl, who seemed to have calmed down a bit. She held in her groan when Carol appeared from the other door.

"We good?" Rick asked Daryl.

"Yeah. Ya a cop again?"

Rick sighed. "I'm trying it on for size."

"So we're staying?" Sabrina asked softly.

"I think we can start sleeping in our own homes. Settle in."

Sabrina nodded with a soft smile before Carol spoke up.

"If we get comfortable here, we let our guard down- this place is gonna make us weak."

"Carl said that. But it's not gonna happen. We won't get weak. That's not in us anymore. We'll make it work. And if they can't make it then we'll just take this place."

Sabrina watched Rick closely, she knew what he said, he meant. But was this place really worth the fight?