‹ Prequel: The New World 4
Sequel: The New World 6
Status: Complete. Season 6 later this year!

The New World 5

Ch.9

After the conversation between Rick, Carol, Sabrina and Daryl, the four of them went back inside. Rick told everyone that they were camping in the living room tonight so everyone picked their spots. Sabrina took Daryl's hand and pulled him to the couch to sit.

"You could use some rest too." Sabrina stated softly when Daryl's ass hit the cushion on the right side. "We both can lay on the couch, we'll fit." She chuckled lightly.

"I'm comfortable jus' like this, ya need ta lay down 'nd ge' some rest." Daryl stated, pulling her down on the couch.

He gave her a quick kiss before anyone could see it then carefully eased Sabrina in a laying position. Sabrina smiled as she laid her head on Daryl's leg, she was going to enjoy the whole 'Daryl being sweet' thing because she knew that he was going to go into 'badass Daryl' again. Laying on her back, she rested her feet on the left arm of the couch and closed her eyes with a contented sigh.

"Night Daryl."

"Nigh' Shorty."

Hearing Daryl yawn put a soft smile onto her face, Sabrina knew he felt like he didn't have to guard her or the group because they were safe...for now. As she dozed off she could feel something warm resting against her lower stomach. Peeking with one eye, her heart wanted to explode at what she saw, Daryl's hand was gently resting where their creation was. Sabrina started getting teary eyed as she rested her hand on Daryl's, she couldn't be anymore happier.

"C'mon, le's ge' some sleep." Daryl spoke as softly as he could in his gruffy voice while entwining their fingers together. "I ain't goin' nowhere."

Sabrina wiped the tears away with her other hand before burying her face into Daryl's leg and finally falling asleep. When Sabrina woke up, she noticed it was morning and most of the group was gone, including Daryl. Sitting up she saw Carol in the kitchen washing the breakfast dishes, stretching she finally got up and headed to the kitchen.

"Where is everyone?"

"Sightseeing." Carol said as she handed Sabrina a plate of scrambled eggs and a couple of slices of bacon.

"Thank you." She took the plate and began eating. "Why aren't you sightseeing?"

"Rick, Daryl and I are going to go out past the gate to talk about a few things. You're welcome to come. By the way, how'd you sleep last night?"

"I slept perfect! Best sleep I've had in a long time. What about you?"

"Same here. It's nice to sleep without having one eye open all the time." Carol stated as she poured Sabrina a glass of juice and handed it to her.

The two of them chit-chatted until Sabrina was done eating and drinking her orange juice. Sabrina washed her glass and plate before going upstairs to get cleaned up a bit to join Daryl, Rick and Carol in their little adventure outside the gate. Rick and Carol checked out a gun while Daryl had his crossbow and Sabrina had her throwing knives. They walked silently out of the gate and to a little shack that Rick found in the woods. Once they made sure the coast was clear, they started talking about the community and the locked up weapons.

"So how are we supposed to get the weapons since they keep the room locked up?" Sabrina asked as she sat on an old tire.

"We go in when it's empty."

"How is that? It's locked up at night."

"The window. There's just a latch. I can leave it open."

"A latch?"

"Yeah."

"Wha' if one of those pricks shuts it?"

"Wait a couple of days, leave it open again." Carol informed.

"It's gettin' closer." Daryl said, making reference to the snarling of a walker.

"We need to do it sooner than later. Right now, they're not watching us. Not worrying about meetings like this. We may need the guns, we may not."

"We will whatever way it goes."

"They're the luckiest damn people I ever met. And they keep getting luckier." Rick stated, which caused Sabrina's eyebrow to arch.

"How's tha'?" Daryl asked, as if reading his wife's mind.

"We're here now."

"They've got a couple of footlockers just full of 9 millimeter autos, Rugers, Kel-Tecs. Just tossed in there. They don't use them. They're never gonna know they're gone."

"Someone's go' one now, righ'?"

Rick made an 'mmm' sound before speaking, "Listen, the others, we want them to try."

"You too." Carol said, more to Daryl then to Sabrina.

"So we keep it quiet. Just us." Rick motioned his head to where the sound of the walker was coming from. "Here it comes."

"I go' 'im." Daryl said getting his crossbow ready.

"Hey, wait." Carol stepped forward and unloaded a few bullets into the walker before actually killing it. "We said we were taking me out shooting. I couldn't go back with a full mag."

Sabrina blinked in surprise at how smart that was as Daryl spoke. "Lucky he came by."

"We should get back." Rick announced. "You'll pull the latch, we'll pick our moment. Us, we don't need to be lucky."

Sabrina stood up from the tire and followed the three but stopped when Daryl examined a dead walker.

"Wha' the hell's tha'? Is tha' a W?"

"Yeah." Carol said as Rick took a closer look.

"But why? Why would someone carve that into a dead walker?" Sabrina asked with confusion.

"I'm not so sure..." Rick said, trying to keep all of them calm.

"I'ma go fin' some dinner."

"I'm coming too."

"No, yer goin' back wit' them, ta be safe."

"Daryl. You and I both know it's better to have someone watching your back out here then venturing off alone."

Daryl let out a sigh before telling Sabrina alright and to stay close. The two of them silently ventured further into the woods and keeping their guard up. Daryl threw his hand up to Sabrina when he heard leaves rustling and aimed his crossbow in the direction of the noise.

"Come out! Now!"

Slowly but surely here came Aaron with his hands up in surrender. "You can tell the difference between walkers and humans by sound?"

Sabrina gave Aaron an eyeroll, of course Daryl could tell the difference or he wouldn't be the excellent hunter he is.

"Can you tell the difference between a good guy and a bad guy? Rick doesn't seem to be an expert at that." Aaron continued.

"There ain't much of a difference no more."

"That how you feel about your people?"

"Why are you following us?" Sabrina chimed in before things got ugly.

"I didn't know I was. I came out to hunt rabbits. I know why you're out here. Mind if I join?"

Sabrina scanned Aaron while Daryl started to walk past her and found no rabbits on him, unless they were in his backpack.

"Keep up. 'Nd keep quiet." Daryl stated harshly.

Aaron followed closely and quietly behind the couple. The three of them walked silently for at least twenty minutes before coming across a clearing and field. Sabrina tilted her head curiously when a sound hit her ears...it wasn't a walker type sound but something else that she couldn't put her finger on it.

"You hear that?" She asked quietly then gasped silently when they al stopped to see a solid black horse.

She couldn't believe that she was seeing a horse...but the question was, how has it survived out here this long?

"I've been trying to catch him for months, bring him inside. His name is Buttons. One of the kids saw him run by the gate a while back. Thought he looked like a Buttons. I haven't seen him for a while. I was afraid it was too late. Every time Eric or I come close, he gets spooked." Aaron informed while he took a rope out and Daryl took it. "Have you done this before?"

"My group did. Bu' they weren't ou' there tha' long. The longer they're ou' there, the more they become wha' they really are." Daryl stated before slowly and cautiously making his way to the horse.

"He's just rough around the edges. Once you get past that part then you'll know he's a good guy deep inside." Sabrina informed softly with her arms crossed and a smile on he face as she watched her husband get closer to the horse.

Aaron and Sabrina watched in amazement as Daryl got close enough to the horse that he could touch the animal. But that was short lived when a twig snapped, spooking Buttons which made him run off as walkers came out of nowhere.

"C'mon on, they're comin'!"

"Son of a-" Sabrina hissed, unsnapping the throwing knife pouch and running out into the field to help Daryl.

While Aaron shot the walkers with his silenced rifle, Daryl and Sabrina took the walkers down with their knives. Once the walkers were dead, Daryl motioned for the two to follow him. He was determined on getting the horse.

"You ride horses?"

"No." Sabrina answered.

"I ride bikes." Daryl stated as he looked for the horse's trail.

"I take it you don't mean 10-speeds. I know you're feeling like an outsider. It's not your fault, you know. Eric and I, we're still looked at as outsiders in a lot of ways. We've heard our fair share of well-meaning, but hilariously offensive things from some otherwise really nice men and women. People are people. The more afraid they get, the more stupid they get. Fear shrinks the brain. They're scared of you and me for different reasons. They're less scared of me because they know me. It's less and less every day. So let them get to know you. You two should go to Deanna's party tonight." Aaron rambled.

"I'm not much of a party goer. Never was."

"I go' nothin' ta prove. I me' a lot of bad people ou' here doin' a lot of bad shit. They weren't afraid of nothin'."

"Yeah, they were." Aaron said before silence fell up on them again.

About five more minutes of tracking, the three of them found Buttons pinned with walkers approaching him.

"Gotta move quick. He's pinned in with 'em. I go' the far ones. Sabrina, stay here. Don't wan' ya in danger." Daryl said as he made his way to Buttons and taking down walkers.

Aaron went in the fenced area with Daryl then went down to the ground quickly. Sabrina was about to run in and help but Aaron sliced the walkers hands off and Daryl stomped on it's head. He smashed one's head against the dead walker and Aaron got up and shot a walker that was approaching Daryl. Sabrina let out a sigh of relief then got teary eyed once the horse's agonizing cries reached her ears. She couldn't see what happened but she knew they were too late to save the poor animal. When Daryl and Aaron came into view without the horse, that's when Sabrina ran to Daryl and broke down in tears. Daryl lowered his crossbow to the ground and hugged her tightly, trying his best to sooth her...even if he didn't know much in the soothing department.

"C'mon, let's ge' back ta the others, k?" He said after a few minutes.

Sabrina nodded and pulled away, wiping her tears as they walked back to the gated community in silence. The sun was setting when they finally reached the gates, someone opened them and they walked through.

"I'ma take her home so she can ge' some rest."

Aaron nodded softly. "Take care you two." He said, giving an almost sorrowful look to Sabrina, knowing what she witnessed was hard on her.

Aaron parted his way from Daryl and Sabrina. Daryl had his arm wrapped around her waist as they walked back home in silence. When they got there, Daryl noted nobody was there and took Sabrina up to the bathroom.

"Ge' undressed 'nd ge' cleaned up, Ya had a long day." He said, pecking her forehead.

Daryl was about to leave the bathroom but Sabrina's arm shot out, catching his hand to make him stay.

"I'm not getting cleaned up unless you're with me." She looked at him with her red puffy puppy dog eyes. Sabrina didn't want to be alone right now.

Daryl looked at her for a moment before closing the door with him on the same side as his wife. Sabrina smiled softly and the two of them started discarding their clothes to get washed up. Once the day was scrubbed off of them, the two of them got dressed together, feeling a bit more refreshed.

"Ya wanna go ta tha' party?"

"Only if you want to. Like I said earlier, I'm not much of the party type, never was."

"Nothin' wrong with tryin' ta go." Daryl said lacing up his boots.

Sabrina slipped on a pair of sandals that matched the knee length navy blue dress. The two of them walked out of the house hand and hand as they made their way to Deanna's. When they reached the front of her house they stood there and looked at each other, as if asking 'you really want to do this?'

"I think some quiet time is better then that." Sabrina said, making reference to the noises that were coming from Deanna's home. "Besides, we don't get much quiet time."

"I think yer righ'. Le's go back."

Linking their hands together again, the couple headed back to the house. While they walked back home, they heard Aaron call their names, which they stopped in their tracks to say a quick hi.

"Thought ya were goin' ta tha' party over there."

"Oh, I was never going to go 'cause of Eric's ankle, thank God."

"Why the hell did ya tell us ta go then?"

"I said try. You did. It's a thought that counts thing."

"Al'righ'."

"Hey, come in. Have some dinner. Come on, man. It's some pretty serious spaghetti." Aaron said before walking back inside.

Daryl looked at Sabrina and she shrugged. "It's better then us going back home and trying to cook something."

With that, the two of them headed up the stairs to Aaron and Eric's home and went inside. They done their greetings before sitting down at the dining room table to eat dinner. The dinner was actually enjoyable, even with Daryl's spaghetti slurping.

"Thanks." Daryl grunted as he swallowed his last bite and grabbed the wine glass.

Sabrina suppressed a chuckle as she twirled the pasta around the fork.

"Mmm, when you're out there, if you happen to be in a store or something, Mrs. Neudermyer is really looking for a pasta maker. And we're all really trying to get her to shut up about it. I mean, we have crates of dried pasta in here, but she wants to make her own or something. I really think she just wants something to talk about, so if you see one out on your travels, it would go a long way to I thought it was done."

Sabrina rose her eyebrow to Eric, why would he think Daryl was going to go out there? She looked over to Aaron for an explanation.

"You didn't ask him already?" Eric asked Aaron quietly.

"Ask me wha'?"

"I think you should follow me. Sabrina, you're welcome to tag along." Aaron said as he stood up graciously.

Daryl and Sabrina looked at each other curiously before standing up and followed Aaron to the garage. Aaron opened the door and flipped the light on before stepping into the garage.

"When I got the place, there was that frame and some parts and equipment. Whoever lived here built them."

"It's a lo' of parts fer one bike."

"Whenever I came across any parts out there, I brought them back. I didn't know what I'd need. I always thought I'd learn how to do it, but I get the feeling you already know what to do with it. And the thing is, you're going to need a bike." Aaron explained while Sabrina and Daryl looked around.

"Why?" Sabrina asked crossing her arms lazily over her chest.

"I told Deanna not to give you a job because I think I have one for you. I'd like you to be Alexandria's other recruiter. I don't want Eric risking his life anymore."

"So you want my husband risking his life for you people? We don't even know you."

"Shorty."

Sabrina looked over at Daryl to see him shake his head, signaling her to stop, it wasn't good for their baby if she got worked up.

"I understand your concerns Sabrina but the reason why is because he knows what he's doing. out there." Aaron said looking at Sabrina then over to Daryl. "You're good out there. But you don't belong out there. I know it's hard getting used to people getting used to you. And I understand right now you need to be out there sometimes. So do I."

Sabrina watched Daryl take the cover off the bike frame as Aaron continued. "But the main reason why I want you to help me recruit is because you do know the difference between a good person and a bad person."

Seeing the look on Daryl's face when Aaron said that made Sabrina smile. It looked like he felt like he was accepted.

"I go' nothin' else ta do...Thanks..." He said, going over to his wife and rubbed the small of her back gently. "I'll ge' ya some rabbits."

Aaron and Sabrina chuckled while the three of them walked back into the house. The four of them chatted for a few minutes before Daryl and Sabrina said their goodbyes to return to the group's house. After they made it to the house, they went inside and started talking about a serious decision. After the decision was made, the two of them decided to walk up to a bedroom to sleep for the night.