Status: Active

The Beach

Where do we go from the end? 2/2

Nearly every person on the train started shouting and crying, panicking over the situation.

Matt, Cass and Danny didn't dare move from their seats. Cass and Danny were holding their hands together really tightly, that tight where it came to a point where their knuckles were painted in white. Matt was just staring at me, waiting for the answer of what I saw.

"The train just derailed" It came out as a whisper, barely audible to my own ears.

All of them gasped and looked at each other in horror.

"What does that mean?!" Cass squealed over Danny's shoulder.

"That we're going to crash into something? I don't know" I shrugged and slowly sat down looking through the window as the train gained speed, probably going faster than it should have.

"How can you be so calm?! Have you considered that we could die right here, right now!?" It was Danny's turn now.

Their eyes were watery, and I asked myself if I really cared about it all. Dying wasn't my priority in life, I didn't believe in heaven nor in God, but something deep inside my skull told me that if this really needed to happen, it would happen; and if it didn't we'd manage to keep ourselves alive but this was the moment of horror and it didn't seem that we were anywhere near to living.

Danny and Cass kept hugging each other as yelling and crying clouded the atmosphere.

Eveyone was crying and shouting, praying to God to help us get out of that moving hell, or just having panic attacks and shaking horribly.

I even heard a young woman shout 'WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE' which was probably true, but she was scaring all the kids that were trying to keep calm on their seats, and it made my blook boil and my heart beat rise its speed.

We really were fucked.

The train started swaying heavily, unintentionally moving our luggage across the narrow corridor. We were forced to bring out hands to cover our ears when the rails started squealing really loudly and the train kept gaining speed.

I couldn't stop thinking that the train should have slowed down, it was driving at least 220km/h and I utterly believed that my life was coming to an end and I wasn't allowing myself to either cry or panic over it, so I did what I did best; I sat on my seat, put my ear buds in and played Blink 182 as loud as possible to numb the feeling deep down in my chest and the buzz and squeal the train was producing.

It amazed me how calm I was.

It is true what they say, music is always there when no one else is. They also say music saves lives, but this was not that case. The sound of Mark and Adam's voices along with the guitar riffs and drumm beats ceased the pain my heart was suffering every time I needed it.

I once heard someone say that music was overrated and people didn't really need it to anything, that happened to be one of my best friends. I kept my mouth shut but really thought that it was an idiotic statement.

Some artist's voices and words save lives, and music is some people's only way to escape this fucked up reality.

In that moment, I just sat there looking at the catastrophe happening in front of my eyes. A thick layer of toxic smoke filled the air, but I could still recognize some faces I had seen previously. The baby that was playing with her mum's nose was now crying and kicking his tiny feet into the nasty air while her mum tried to hold back her tears and rock her back and forth to try to calm her.

The grandma that was sat unhappily around her family was now lying on the floor with a bunch of people around her, some of them holding her and crying, and some others trying to find something to cover her mouth so she wouldn't inhale the smoke; but it was too late, she was unconscious.

I picked my phone from the floor and suddenly remembered why I was on that train, where I was going and who I was visiting. Jack had messaged me three minutes before everything started.

'Are you there baby?' it read.

I realized that it was the first time that Jack had called me baby. We never really called each other names, other than our Skype names. I named him Jack the hot prostitute as soon as he told me that he changed my name to BabyCakes. We were only joking about it all and it actually made him smile, that was enough for me to keep everything the way it was.

I also realized that I would never his voice anymore, I wouldn't hear him call me baby, and I wouldn't hear him say goodnight and good morning. I promised myself that I wouldn't cry, but that brought tears to my eyes.

'I'm here lovely' not for much longer though I thought to myself but saved it to later in case I had to tell him.

I didn't think, I just acted. I dialed his number and called him, covering my ear with the palm of my hand so I could hear his voice over the heavy buzz of the wind and the train.

I could have called my parents, but they would probably have been working and wouldn't pick up, so I wasted no time in calling Jack.

"Hey, why did you ca- what the hell is that?" I could barely hear him, but it somehow calmed me down hearing his voice.

"The train has been derailed" I admitted into the phone.

I heard him laugh through the phone, oblivious at the events that were taking part in the train.

"You know, that won't make me feel any less nervous about you coming here" He kept laughing, but it was a different laugh, a nervous one; like if he knew what exactly was happening.

"I'm serious, I don't know how long we've got until we crash into something if the train isn't stopped soon, this is going really fast, I don't get why we haven't crashed yet" My voice was flat as tears made their way down my cheeks.

"You're joking" He said serious.

"I wish I was. I really do"

Jack started throwing things around, I could hear the lamp he had on his nightstand crash into the floor and break into million tiny pieces. I could see him prowl back and forth in his room, flopping onto the bed and putting his hand on his forehead just like every time he was frustrated.

I tried to hold my breath for as long as possible so the thick layer of nasty, dark smoke wouldn't make its way down my lungs that easily.

"Jack" I yelled loud enough just in case he had dropped the phone somewhere on the floor.

"Y-yeah?" He was crying, which only made me cry even harder.

"I bought you the four Home Alone DVDs" I said weakly.

He chuckled on the phone and slightly laughed, it was a different laugh thought. I had never heard him laugh like that; it was sad, and unhappy.

Knowing that the only person that made me feel the way I felt when I heard his voice wasn't going to be there to do so scared me to death, to say the least.

"Just keep talking on the phone please, okay?"

This was coming to an end.

But that 'end' felt cozy and warm, and cold and lifeless at the same time.

I looked once more outside the window, the thick layer of black dirty toxic covered the windows and I could only head the sound of the wind fighting against the velocity of the train.

My now tired eyes found Cass and Danny what seemed like sleeping, but I believed that they were only pretending to be asleep on each other's arms knowing that it was going to be the last time that they were going to be so close and so far from each other at the same time.

Matt was nowhere to be seen, I would have liked to think that he went in search of the missing couple but I never really knew what happened in reality.

I managed to hold my phone between my ear and my shoulder as my limbs started to feel lifeless.

I listened to Jack's sobbing as he tried to think of something to tell me, failing a few times before narrating me a quite funny story that happened when he was younger. That didn't stop me from crying, even if my upper body was freezing and I could hardly feel my heart beat, I kept listening to my angel's voice as he stuttered every single word.

I heard a hard thump coming from the first carriage that sent a heavy vibration through the train's walls notifying me that we had crashed into something, we were on one of the last carriages of the train which meant that the impact would affect us a mere seconds later.

"Ja-" I managed to whisper with the little clean oxygen I had in my lungs.

My vision went blurry, and blackness followed short after.