Status: Active

The Beach

And it's a lottery I can't wait to draw your name.

JACK'S POV

I closed my laptop and headed downstairs shouting 'I'm coming, mom' to the woman standing in front of the kitchen's counter, arms crossed on her tiny chest.

"Yeah?" I asked frowning. She pointed at the sink where dirty dished where randomly placed. I sighed and prepared for what was coming.

"Jack, how many times do I have to tell you to do the dishes after we finish having lunch?" I rolled my eyes, as always, and nodded continuously as she kept talking. "Your dad works long hours every single day of the year just to feed all of us and to give us what we need, he even works extra hours for us, Jack. You know he doesn't earn much, neither do I so please, just do what we ask you to do and everything will be fine. I wish I could work extra hours at the Dawson' but they only want me to take care of their kid at night because they both work at the same time and you know it. Don't you understand that? Seriously Jack, you'll be 18 soon, you can't lock yourself in your room and come down to eat, this is not a restaurant. And I think you should call your sister sometime 'this year'-she pointed out- her college isn't even that far away from here, you could visit her too" She explained.

I got used to listen the same speech every single day over and over again so I just ignored her and did whatever she wanted me to do. Same shit, different days.

"Jack, are you listening to me?" She asked noticing me staring at the sink. I turned my gaze to her and nodded.

"Good. Your father and I are leaving now, we'll be back at 8. Do not touch your laptop, I don't want you to talk to strangers, you can watch tv downstairs or whatever. Do I make myself clear?" She asked as I made my way to the sink.

"Yeah" I simply added as an answer. She left the kitchen and I heard my dad scream 'bye Jack' before they walked out the door.

I leaned my back against the cold counter and looked at the dirty dishes one more time. I thought I could do them later so I went back to my room and opened my laptop. Laying down on my bed, a message on Skype popped up saying that I had a friend request. I had totally forgotten about the guy I met on Omegle, the one who insisted on having my Skype name.

I then realized that I didn’t know anything about the guy apart from the bands we both liked. He could be like 50 year old man or something so I hesitated before kicking the ‘accept’ button. He got online a few seconds after and started talking to me.

I looked at the information he gave about himself, which was none, and looked over at his Skype picture hoping I could catch the boy’s appearance but he had put a picture of Tom DeLonge instead.

What if he’s a pedophile and just wants to know where I live so he can come over here and rape me? What if he forces me to show up on a video call and get naked? What if we show up on a video call and he records me and sell it out somewhere on the internet? What if he’s a 10 year old and I’m getting the shit scared of him? But wait. What if he really is a fan of those bands we like and he wants to just talk to someone who likes them too? What if we start talking to each other and fall in love and meet up somewhere because I don’t know where he is from, cuddle all day long and he asks me to be his boyfriend and move somewhere so we can be together and spend every single day together? Jack, you’re not even sure if he’s gay or not shut the fuck up and reply to his messages already.

My mind somehow stopped thinking as I locked my eyes on the screen, showing that he changed to a mobile device. The time read 3:45PM, the message said “Hey there”. He messaged me again as I kept thinking about stupid, pointless things. It said “You there? :/”

I quickly face-palmed myself, trying to return to real life, where everything sucked, every little second of the day.

“Hey, yeah sorry I was just thinking” I replied.

He responded almost 10 seconds after I sent my messages, knowing that he was just talking to me.

“Oh, okay. I just realized we know nothing about the other” The message said.

Fuck, he reads my mind now? I thought to myself.

“Yeah, I know.. Wanna start by telling me something about yourself?” I asked politely.

I really wanted the kid to tell me his age, where he lived and I wanted to see what he looked like, in the less creepy way.

I wished he looked like one of those scene guys who had their hair all the way down their fringe covering their eyes so I could maybe, just maybe pull it away from his eyes sometime. One of those guys who had tattoos all over their body including their chest and neck, stretched ears and a nose piercing. They’re just my type, don’t judge me.

“Uh okay, well..” He sent first.

I waited for the next message containing his physical and psychological description. I knew he would send them both because he took over five minutes to write everything down, which led me to start writing down mine because I guessed he’d ask me for it too.

“I don’t know what you want to know but I mean, you’re just another stranger and I don’t know you so I guess I can tell you anything that comes to my mind. As you know, I like Blink, Sum, Green day etc so I have a perfect taste on music. (So do you). My hair is brown and wavy but I just dyed some strokes and my fringe blonde, and I straighten it, wavy hair sucks. Just because I like changes. Uh what else.. Uhm I might be bi, as in bisexual, I’m not sure yet. I have a girlfriend but we’re having some problems at the moment and I’m getting maybe.. I little attracted to men but anyways yeah uh, I’m not too short, neither too tall, just medium. I don’t know what else to say..” He explained.

I analyzed everything he said, making little sentences and thinking about what it meant. He liked perfect bands so he was perfect already, no matter how old he was. His hair sounded pretty cute, I didn’t know how he styled it yet but it didn’t really matter. He might be bisexual, that was nice but he had a girlfriend.

I never had a boyfriend or girlfriend before, never kissed a guy or girl before, never cuddled anyone before, which made my friends call me a freak and what not. They didn’t know a thing about my sexual orientation, it's not like they needed to know about it anway so I kept it to myself, and only myself apart from the stranger.

“How old are you?” I asked as my mood lowered itself and ended up sighing now and then, overthinking.

“Almost 18, you?” I sighed again. If only I could see what he looked like.

You are probably wondering if I’m one of those guys who wants to fuck a guy and leave early the next morning because of how badly I wanted to be with this guy already.

Wrong.

What can I say? I’m desperate. If I know someone who loves the same bands as me, love me, cares about me and is nice, then I’m done man. I’ll fall for him and try to make him feel the same way.

"That's good, I guess. I'll be 18 in 16 days" It was true, but I wasn't even excited because all my friends -which were two- were out. One in Paris and the other in Scotland.

I remembered that I hadn't asked where he was from so I did, and he replied that he was from Livingston in the UK, and I told him that I was from Eastbourne, also in the UK.

I asked him to put a picture or send me one so I could see what he looked like, and I did the same. I saved his picture as 'Omeglestranger' and clicked it to see it.

He was beautiful. He had big brown eyes, eyebrows which didn't match his hair color, a lovely nose and a perfect smile. He was wearing a Sum 41 shirt and there was a blonde girl next to him, I guessed she was his girlfriend. She was really cute to be honest; really long wavy hair matching her blue, almost green eyes and a white smile. She was covering her body with a blanket, they just had had sex before they took the picture or what?

I sighed again then. I was lanky, you could count every single bone of my body, had really dark straight hair, my eyes were way too big for my face, my nose was crooked to the side and I really didn't like my mouth, lips and teeth at all.

How could I have thought that maybe, just maybe someday someone like him would be mine? I was really insecure about myself, I still am, and that will never change. I didn't think anyone would ever make me feel good about myself, I was just daydreaming.

I sank even more in bed, embarrassed, waiting for the stranger to reply.

"You're cute (:" He said then. He didn't cheer me up though, it made me feel even worse. I waited a moment and replied with a 'Yeah, but you're beautiful..' not caring about his girlfriend or what would he think about me because honestly, I didn't give a single shit. I didn't want him to reply to that with a sympathetic phrase or anything so I immediately asked what was his name.

He told me that his name was Alex -pretty name.

We spent hours and hours talking about music, our parents and school, which I was grateful for, because I didn't have anything better to do, well, I had to do the dishes, it was almost 8PM when I turned my head and noticed that the clock read that time.

I told Alex that I had to go but he begged me to stay, I didn’t know why, but a voice in my head told me to keep talking to the guy, that something bad was going to happen if I didn’t, so I told him that the dishes could wait.

My parents got home at 8:30PM and the screaming and yelling started when they stepped into the kitchen. I sighed and told Alex that I had to leave, that I wouldn’t be back because I didn’t obey them so they would take my laptop away from me. He asked for my phone number then, realising that we couldn’t talk on Skype. He promised to text me in an hour, and I said that I’d be there.

“Jack Bassam Barakat, come here right now” I heard my mom yell just so I could hear it from my room. She half whispered ‘You stupid kid’, but I heard her.

Wow, this guy really wants to talk to me.