Somewhere Only We Know

54: You Might Wish You Were

“This must be your first Clasico” Pilar mused as she helped Ariana to her seat. It had been a few weeks, Ariana was approaching 5 months pregnant and Iker had insisted that she attend his game, the first one she had been to that saw Real face off against Barcelona. She hadn’t wanted to go, her bump was starting to show a little and it had made her feel a little self-conscious, but when Iker had flashed the puppy eyes, she hadn’t been able to resist. Having her at the game clearly meant a lot to the keeper and Ariana hadn’t had the heart to turn him down, especially when he’d raved about how beautiful she looked now she was sporting an obvious bump beneath her shirt.

“It is” Ariana replied “But Iker has already briefed me on how crazy they get” she added as she noted the dubious look on Pilar’s face. She was clearly worried, Clasico games were more violent than most other matches that Real played, but Iker had left Ariana fully prepared. He knew she was prone to worrying about him after the break to his arm that he had suffered and he had wanted to allay her fears. He was bound to be fine.

“No one can ever be fully briefed about a Clasico” Pilar grinned as she settled Junior on her lap, stopping the little boy’s fussing.

“Are they really that bad?” Ariana quipped.

Pilar smirked. “This is one of the two games that Real are prepared to win regardless of the costs. They will physically fight with Barcelona because the Barca players are smaller and they will do anything they have to in order to come away with three points. Sergio loves getting sent off in this one as long as he can leave his mark on a Barca player” she explained with a slight laugh.

Ariana frowned a little. Iker had said that it was bad, but he hadn’t made it out to be as bad as Pilar had. He’d made it sound like a walk in the park compared to what Pilar had said. “Iker said that things were a little rough, but not that bad. Is he going to get hurt?” Ariana fussed as she placed her palm over her bump.

Pilar noted the sound of concern in her voice and sighed, knowing she had probably been a little dramatic. “He’ll be fine Ari” she cooed as she gripped the other girl’s hand in comfort “Iker’s in goal, he won’t go and get in any fights” she added.

“You’re sure?” Ariana fretted.

Pilar offered her a small smile and nodded. “Your husband is a level headed man. Iker will play peacemaker because him and Xavi, the Barca captain, are friends” she added reassuringly.

Ariana offered her a slightly dubious look before she turned her eyes down to the pitch.

She hoped that Pilar was right when she said that Iker wouldn’t get hurt.

~#~
“Sergio, Piqué is free” Iker yelled as he attempted to organize his defence. The game was going well, Barcelona had huffed and puffed, but they hadn’t beaten Iker as of yet and the keeper was determined to keep it that way. If there was one team he adored keeping a clean sheet against it was Barca, there was a little more pride about keeping Messi, Neymar and Suarez out than most strike forces.

Sergio offered his captain a little look before he trotted back, picking up the other centre back as he moved towards the post, attempting to get his head on Xavi’s corner. Iker took a quick scan of the penalty area before he flicked his stare over to Xavi, watching as the ball was flung high overhead. Iker was so focused on the in-swinging corner that he failed to notice the run of Suarez who was quickly advancing on him, his eyes too fixed on the high floated ball. Iker took a couple of steps off his line and moved to jump, sure that he was going to collect the ball safely, only for Suarez to clatter straight into him, taking his legs out from beneath him.

“Iker” Sergio yelled as the referee’s whistle echoed, ruling out the goal that Suarez had scored.

Iker moved a little, his entire body aching, before he rested his head back, eyes dark eyes closing.

“Iker” Sergio called once more as he fell at the keeper’s side “We need to get the medic out here. He’s unconscious” he yelled.

~#~
Ariana sat motionless for a moment as she watched the action unfold ahead of her. It seemed slow, Iker had plummeted to the ground in almost slow motion, and Ariana couldn’t bring herself to move, not quite sure of how to react. “Ari” Pilar whispered “Perhaps you should get down to the treatment room. The medics are great, but you are perhaps more prepared to cope with it” she suggested as she gently placed her hand against the other girl’s shoulder.

Ariana shifted at Pilar’s touch and turned a little, sparing her a shaky nod.

“Come on” Pilar mused as she lifted Junior into her arms “I can get you down there and you can check him over” she added with a little assuring smile.

Ariana nodded a little and followed Pilar.

~#~
Groaning a little, Iker scrunched up his nose, his entire body aching as he attempted to stretch all of his muscles. He didn’t remember much only that Suarez had hit him, and he was a little confused. The medical room he sat in was not one that he recognized. Shifting a little, he noted a figure sat at his side, their face lit with a look that made Iker frown. “Am I dead?” he spluttered.

Sergio chuckled. “No” he laughed “But you might wish that you were. Aria’s here and she is not happy” he teased.

Iker sighed. “She’s upset?” he muttered.

“Upset, angry…all of the emotions you would not want a pregnant woman to be” he smirked.

“Who let her down here?” Iker commented, his eyes checking the room for the presence of his wife. He knew that she would be upset, Iker had largely underplayed the rivalry at play in the Clasico, but he didn’t want her too concerned. Ariana was pregnant and he didn’t want her doing any harm to their baby.

“Pilar bought her down once you were on the stretcher. The lovely Dr Casillas was the one who diagnosed you with two broken ribs and a concussion” Sergio smirked.

Iker rolled his eyes a little before the door flew open, allowing Ariana to storm inside. “You moron” she yelled.

“I am going to step outside” Sergio noted “Good luck” he muttered to Iker as he walked past.

“You idiot, why weren’t you watching where Suarez was? Why didn’t you back out of the jump? Why didn’t you…”

Iker lifted his hand and placed it over Ariana’s mouth, stopping the flow of angry questions. “Ari” he murmured “Ari, I am only going to take my hand away if you promise to stop yelling, Ok?” he pressed.

Ariana’s blue eyes narrowed, but she nodded nevertheless, causing Iker to pull his hand away from her mouth. “It was an accident Ari. I took my eyes off Suarez for a second, but I am fine, a little fuzzy, but fine” he breathed with a little smile.

Ariana pouted. “I was scared Iker. You fell flat and then you didn’t move. I worried you’d really hurt yourself” she muttered.

Iker smiled and wrapped his hand around hers, holding it tightly. “I am fine” he assured her softly.

“I know” she replied “I was just…scared” she admitted gently.

Iker nodded and pulled her hand to his lips, kissing it gently. “I like that you were scared. It means you really care” he teased impishly.

Ariana rolled her eyes. “You’re still a moron then, the blow didn’t knock it out of you” she quipped as she moved to lay at his side, her arms wrapping around his waist.

Iker smiled and kissed her temple. “I am your moron Ari” he teased.

Ariana smiled and hugged him tightly, pleased that her moron was ok.