Somewhere Only We Know

6: Her Boyfriend

“In on a Saturday?” John teased as he watched Ariana step into his room. It wasn’t normal, Ariana never worked Saturdays, but still he was pleased to see his favorite doctor. The brunette was by far the most competent one that ever checked on him, plus, he just adored teasing her.

“On a Saturday morning, yes. I had to cover this shift so that I could have this evening off” Ariana smiled as she moved to check John’s chart. She was pleased that the older man was getting better. She liked John.

“Oh, big date this evening then?” the old man grinned.

Ariana shook her head. “John, you know that that is none of your business” she quipped with a coy smile.

“I know, but I kind of feel as if I helped you and lover boy out. So, you owe me some gossip” he grinned “Besides, nothing good ever happens around here” he added.

Ariana rolled her eyes. “You’re a nosy old man John” she quipped as she moved to check on the drip that was in his hand.

“I just like to be informed Ariana. So, where is he taking you?” he posed, a wide cat-like grin etched on his face.

“He’s invited me to his game tonight. He’s the goalkeeper for Real Madrid” Ariana grinned. She didn’t care about the fame that Iker had, she liked him for him, but she kind of liked the idea of people looking at her with envy. She had always been a little hidden way in Lucia’s shadow, but she liked the idea of people being jealous of her. She had never had anything people could be jealous of before.

“You’re dating a footballer?” John grinned, his eyebrow cocked.

“We…uh, we are not exactly dating. I mean, we’ve hung out a couple of times and yeah, we’ve kissed…” she babbled.

John laughed. “You’re dating a footballer” he confirmed with a grin.

“Well, again, we are not exactly dating” Ariana denied.

John rolled his eyes. “I am sure your boyfriend wouldn’t want you to so vigorously deny your relationship” he teased.

Ariana blushed and moved to scribble something down into the old man’s notes.

“So, are you going to his game?” John posed.

Ariana nodded. “I said that I would. I was worried that it was a little fast, but Iker was insistent” she commented.

“Iker?” John teased.

“You’re not helping Mr Granger” she muttered. She was nervous, the idea of being in the stadium alone was enough to terrify her, but the idea of being there with Lucia and near Iker had her panicked. She didn’t know how her sister would take the news that she was dating the keeper or how Iker would opt to behave around her.

John tilted his head. “Are you nervous Ariana?” he prodded.

The doctor nodded. “Very. My sister is coming to the game with me and I worry that she will try and mess things up between Iker and I. I am also scared that Iker will want me to meet his friends. I am scared John and I wish I wasn’t. My sister, Luci, she would have no problem with this. She’s confident and I am…well, I am a nervous wreck” she admitted with a little nervous laugh.

John smiled. “Ariana, that boy likes you” he mused.

“Well, I worry he will like Luci more” she admitted gently.

John shook his head and took the doctor’s hand. “Ari, I have seen that look before. I give that look to my wife of 30 years. That boy wants you and you needn’t worry about him liking your sister more. He’s entranced by every nervous stutter and every shy blush. He likes you, even if his name is Iker” he teased.

Ariana rolled her eyes before she placed a little kiss on his cheek. “Gracias John” she cooed “I needed that” she added.

~#~
“Why are we going to the Bernabeu?” Lucia whined as she followed her sister up the walkway that led to the large stadium. It was out of character, Ariana had never shown any interest in football, and it made Lucia curious. She didn’t see why Ariana would have suddenly developed an interest in the sport.

“Because a… a friend of mine got me tickets and I thought it would make a nice change” Ariana explained as she adjusted her white t-shirt beneath her jacket. She had struggled to pick an outfit for the match and hoped that Iker wouldn’t find her underdressed. She didn’t want to make a fool of herself in front of a man she had come to like immensely in the few days that she had known him.

“A friend?” Lucia teased “This wouldn’t happen to be the mysterious male friend that you have been texting and seeing on the down low would it?” she grinned.

Ariana blushed.

“It is. I am finally going to meet the secret boyfriend” Lucia exclaimed as she clapped her hands together. She was thrilled for her baby sister, Ariana deserved to meet someone, and Lucia was sure that he would be suitably geeky. He was likely to be a doctor like Ariana or, at the very least, a medical student.

Ariana flashed her a weak smile before they reached the gate that their tickets had directed them to.

“Are you not going to tell me his name now Ari? I would like to be prepared” Lucia peeped as they quickly moved through the turnstiles into the stadium.

Ariana shook her head, not wanting to say a word until it was one hundred percent necessary.

“Is he a doctor at the hospital?” Lucia continued, trying desperately to get information out of her baby sister.

“Is who a doctor at the hospital?”

Ariana paused as Iker’s voice snipped into her ears.

Lucia turned, her brown eyes widening at the sight of the world famous goalkeeper.

“Ari?” Iker peeped “Is who a doctor at the hospital?” he muttered, his brown eyes a little dark with jealousy.

“No one Iker. Luci was just trying to get me to talk about you. Lucia, this is Iker, my…uh…” she stammered.

“Her boyfriend” Iker interjected with a smile.

Ariana’s heart skipped a beat. Boyfriend. The word merely seemed perfect to her.

“Boyfriend?” Lucia spluttered “How could you be her boyfriend? Have you seen her?” she breathed out in shock.

Iker’s dark eyes narrowed, offended by the comment the blonde girl had made.

Ariana noticed and took his hand. “I will see you after the game Iker. Try and keep a clean sheet for me” she mused as she stepped in front of Lucia, taking Iker’s stare. The keeper blinked for a moment, before he flashed her a little smile. “I will try nena” he cooed before he pressed a brisk kiss to her lips and walked off.

Ariana watched him walk away for a second before she turned to look at Lucia.

“You have a lot of explaining to do” the blonde girl muttered before she stormed out towards their seats.

Ariana sighed gently and followed, hoping that Lucia would let it go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)