Somewhere Only We Know

73: Work In Progress

“Have I ever mentioned how beautiful you look in yellow?” Iker murmured timidly as he fiddled with Ariana’s hand. It hadn’t been long, perhaps an hour or so since they had met up, but Iker was just glad that Ariana was still around and that she wasn’t pushing him away. He had missed her and hoped that their meeting was the first step to putting what had happened behind them. He didn’t know if he could deal with any more nights away from her and their little girl.

Ariana smiled. “You’ve said it countless times” she teased lightly.

“It is still true. I like you in yellow” Iker quipped shyly.

Ariana sighed a little. She was glad that they were talking, she was pleased that they were making progress, but she was getting a little annoyed with Iker’s shyness. She didn’t blame him, things were likely to be a little awkward for a little while, but she was hoping for a little more. She just wanted him to talk to her like he had before. “Iker, why are you being so shy?” she whispered softly.

Iker sighed. “I am scared of saying the wrong thing” he admitted gently “I just want you and me to go back to the way we were and I don’t want to mess that up by saying something that will upset you or make you feel awkward around me. I just wanted us to be OK” he breathed, his eyes fixed on his hand which was gently playing with Ariana’s fingers.

Ariana watched the movement for a second before she took his hand gently, giving it a little squeeze. “Iker, it isn’t going to be instant, you know that right?” she posed softly.

Iker nodded. He wasn’t an idiot, there was going to be a period of rebuilding around them, but he was willing to go through it. As long as it saw him end up with Ariana and Violeta, then he didn’t care what he had to do. “I just want to know that we are trying Ari. That is all I want from you, a real shot at a marriage I really think is worth saving” he explained softly.

Ariana nodded. “We’re trying Iker, but I don’t want you getting ahead of yourself. We need to be careful” she explained, her delicate thumb brushing over the back of his hand. Iker watched the slightly movement and nodded before he gently pushed himself to his feet, padding towards her so that he could press a little kiss to her lips. Ariana smiled at the contact. She had missed them, the butterflies that only Iker could stir, and she was pleased to have them back. She felt safe in his arms and hadn’t felt it whilst they had been apart.

Iker felt her smile and pulled away slightly. “I love you” he whispered gently.

Ariana blushed. “You cannot understand how much I have missed hearing that” she mused as she ducked her head.

Iker chuckled and tilted her chin back. “And you cannot understand how much I have missed that beautiful blushing face of yours. I think you are at your most beautiful when you get all shy on me Ari” he teased, his thumb gently brushing over her bottom lip. Ariana’s cheeks merely darkened at his touch, something which made Iker chuckle as he ducked down to kiss her again.

“Ari, Lettie is starting to get…” Pilar’s voice trailed off as she spotted the couple, her eyes shining a little. It had been a while, she had for a little while doubted that she would see Iker and his wife together again, but she was pleased by it. Iker looked made up to be in the same room as Ariana, let alone to be kissing her and hugging her.

Iker jerked up a little at the sound of Pilar’s voice and turned, offering her a small smile.

“I didn’t mean to interrupt, but Lettie is starting to get a little antsy. I was hoping Ari would come back to calm her down” she explained with a slightly sheepish look. She felt bad about interrupting their moment, it was clear that they were contented in the little bubble that was the burger restaurant, but Violeta was struggling to settle and was in need of her mother. She had hardly stopped crying since Pilar had moved her into a nearby café to keep warm.

Ariana smiled. “Of course I will” she babbled as she pushed herself to her feet.

Iker offered her a little look. “Are we done here?” he poked softly.

Ariana’s eyes widened a little. “I…uhm…uh” she stammered.

“Why doesn’t he come with us? I am sure Lettie would love to see her papa” Pilar suggested.

“Would you like to come?” Ariana posed gently, her blue eyes settled on her feet as she shifted nervously.

Iker chuckled and lowered his hand, gently taking Ariana’s into it. “I would love to come and see Lettie Ari, you don’t even have to ask, I think a better question is whether or not you are ok with me coming?” he quipped as he pulled her a little closer. It was clear that things were awkward, they would be for a little while, but Iker was going to ensure that they didn’t get stuck on it. They were meant to be, he knew it, and it was up to him to show Ariana.

Ariana nodded. “I am not going to stop you seeing Violeta Iker” she murmured.

Iker flashed her a smile before he lifted her hand to his lips, pressing a little kiss to the skin.

Pilar watched them and smiled to herself, fighting the urge to coo. It was still a work in progress, Ariana in particular looked slightly awkward, but she was hopeful. Iker was determined and she was sure that that meant they were likely to get back on track. Iker wasn’t going to let it fail easily.

Smiling, she led the couple out of the restaurant and into the small café across the street to where Sergio sat, softly cooing to Violeta who was crying softly in his arms. “Sergio” Pilar whispered “Why don’t you give Violeta to Iker? Perhaps her papa can calm her down” she encouraged with a little smile.

Sergio nodded his head and gently handed the nine-week-old to her father who cooed at her gently. “Hola mi princesa” the keeper murmured as he smiled down at the baby. It had only been a few days, but Iker had had missed her more than he could put into words and he was thrilled to be near her. Seeing Violeta was one of his favorite things.

Ariana, who stood a little away from her husband, nibbled on her lip. She had missed it, seeing Iker with Violeta, but still she remained a little unsure. Things had deteriorated a lot and she didn’t know how quickly they would be fixed, or if they would be fixed at all.

“Ari?” Pilar squeaked “Do you want to come and sit down?” she posed with a little look towards Iker who was softly murmuring in Spanish to Violeta who had calmed down.

Ariana swallowed a little but nodded her head, padding towards Iker and the others. She was still unsure, but she was glad that they were working to fix things. A work in progress seemed a lot better than a train wreck of a marriage.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 for the comment :)