Somewhere Only We Know

80: Nobody Compares

Picking at the plate of food ahead of him, Iker sighed, his head spinning with the news that Ariana had laid on him just an hour previous. He didn’t know what it was, perhaps it was the sudden nature of her announcement, but he simply couldn’t wrap his head around it. Things finally looked settled for them and were bound to be thrown up in the air when the second baby was born.

“Are you actually going to eat something or are you just going to play with it?” Sara teased as she watched him. There was clearly something on his mind, Iker had barely made eye contact since they had sat down at the table in the back of the hotel’s restaurant, and Sara was curious. From what she had heard, Iker had been remarkably happy as of late and that provided a stark contrast with the man sat ahead of her, a strangely glum expression on his face.

Iker made a little sound, but didn’t look up, instead opting to push another piece of pasta around the plate.

“Iker, what is going on with you?” Sara posed as she gripped at his hand, stopping the repetitive circular motion his hand was moving in.

Iker huffed. “Nothing” he muttered.

“You’re lying” Sara quipped.

“How would you know?” Iker replied childishly.

“Because I have met you before. I know your grumpy face when I see it, so why don’t you just talk to me about what is bothering you?” she muttered.

Iker sighed. “You don’t want to hear it Sara” he murmured.

“And who else do you want to talk to? You and your teammates have typical platonic male friendships, I highly doubt you are going to tell them what is bothering you, and your wife is back home in Madrid, so why don’t you talk to me? I might be able to help you” she mused softly. She understood his hesitation, she doubted she would have been comfortable discussing her problems with him, but she didn’t like seeing him upset. He was still important to her and she didn’t like seeing him miserable.

Iker sighed. “My wife gave me some news earlier and I am not quite sure how to feel about it” he admitted gently.

“What sort of news?” Sara posed, her hand taking the glass of water that sat at her side.

Iker shook his head and guided his hand back through his dark hair. “We have a daughter, a beautiful little girl that I love more than anything, and Ariana just told me that she is pregnant again. I want to be happy about it, I have always wanted a big family, but I am worried. We’ve not exactly had the most comfortable relationship and I am scared that a new baby on top of a one year old will be too much for us. I love her Sara, more than anything, I don’t think I have it in me to watch it fall apart” he mused softly. He did want to be happy about it, a second baby was something he had given a lot of thought to, but he couldn’t help but be concerned. He and Ariana had had a lot of struggles and he doubted the birth of their second child would help. He worried it might be a step too far.

Sara smiled at her former boyfriend and took his hand. “You and Ariana are never going to be happy if all you do is fixate on the threats from outside and the past Iker” she mused softly.

“What do you mean?” Iker posed.

“You fixate on the things that are out of your control. You worry about what threats there are to your relationship instead of thinking about how happy you and Ariana are. If you stopped worrying so much, you would realize that you and her have something pretty special, something you and I never had. I admit, I haven’t seen much of you and her together, but what I have seen makes me sure that you two will be fine. Things will get tough Iker, but what really matters is how you cope with that and moping around here isn’t going to help. Do you not think you upset her earlier?” she posed.

Iker sighed. He hadn’t handled Ariana’s announcement well at all.

“Call her Iker, talk to her like an adult and then smile. You’re going to be a padre again” she enthused.

Iker chuckled. “I am” he breathed “That’s an odd thought” he quipped.

Sara smiled at him gently. “I am sure that you are a great padre to your little girl” she mused softly.

Iker smiled and pulled his phone out of his pocket. “Gracias Sara” he mused as he gently pushed himself out of his seat “I needed that” he added.

Sara waved her hand. “It is nothing Iker” she mused before she watched him walk away. It was hard, seeing him so happy whilst she was so unhappy, but she knew she couldn’t get between him and Ariana. The doctor was the one for him and Sara knew she would never be able to compete.

No one could compete with Ariana for Iker’s affections.

~#~
“Iker?” Ariana murmured as she rubbed her eyes a little. She had been taking a nap, trying to digest the news that her doctor had served to her, and she was surprised to wake up to her phone ringing. It had barely been an hour and a half since she had told Iker and she had been expecting him to take more time about it. He had sounded utterly shell-shocked when she had told him.

“Hola” Iker breathed softly in return.

“I didn’t expect you to call so soon” she admitted gently “You sounded so surprised earlier” she added.

“I know, but after talking it over with a friend, I realize I was wrong to do that. I sounded a little upset earlier Ari and I wanted you to know that that isn’t the case at all. Of course I am thrilled, you know how much I want to have a big family with you, and I am sorry that that didn’t come across before. I was surprised” he admitted gently.

“Are you really thrilled?” Ariana murmured as she twisted a strand of her dark hair around her finger.

Iker chuckled. “Of course I am nena. I love that our little family is getting bigger, I was just a little concerned before. Violeta’s only little and I was worried that the strain of a second baby would prove fatal for you and me, but I know that that won’t be the case. I love you Ariana and we are going to have an amazing family” he enthused.

Ariana smiled, her hand gently resting on her stomach. “You think so?” she mused.

“Of course” Iker confirmed “I just wish I was there so that I could give that little bump a kiss” he added.

Ariana smiled. “It will be a little bigger by the time I see you again” she enthused.

Iker smiled. “Then I will make sure to kiss it then. I miss you Ari and I cannot wait to see you” he mused.

“Me either” Ariana breathed softly “Te amo Iker” she whispered.

Iker let out a small breathy laugh. “I love you too Ari” he returned before he hung up the phone.

Ariana glanced at the phone for a second before she smiled.

She was pleased to hear that Iker was excited about the new baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to babygurl94512, MITCHEAE, Amtul., Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)