Status: Regular Updates!

Make It to Me

8

Adaline and James spent the rest of the evening watching movies and eating left over Chinese from their movie night. James seemed to be more sullen after the news of her departure, but he didn’t seem all too depressed.

“Adaline?” James asked.

“Yea Jamie?” She asked him as she munched on her orange chicken.

“Do you think I was a good husband?” He asked her in a vulnerable state.

“I do Jamie. Sara loved you so much. She always said that you were the only man there would ever be for her.” Adaline reassured him. He looked at her, his eyes watering again.

“I just think I failed her sometimes.” James admitted.

“You could have never failed her. Don’t ever let yourself believe that.” Adaline said.

“Okay. I just feel like shit sometimes. I worry that because I was gone so much she wasn’t as loved as she deserved to be.” James said and began to chew on his food again.

“Sara knew what she was getting into. She knew how hard it might be when you were on the road, but she chose to love you anyway because she couldn’t imagine a life without you.” Adaline said seriously. James seemed satisfied with that answer; he wiped at his eyes and turned his attention back to the TV. They finished dinner in silence, but it seemed more comfortable after James seemed satisfied with what Adaline had told him.

Adaline told him that her father had booked a flight for tomorrow evening and she would be returning six days later around evening time. It wasn’t spoken, but it seemed decided that Adaline would be staying longer this time around. They both seemed to understand that for the present time, Pittsburgh was going to be her new home. From working and saving relentlessly, Adaline had saved enough to afford living without a job for a while, and since she wouldn’t be paying rent, it would be much easier.

~
Adaline went to her room and packed up all of her bags. She had planned on hitting the grocery store the next morning and picking up everything she needed to make food for James to reheat for the next week.

‘Hey! Do you want to meet for coffee tomorrow?’ Adaline texted Sidney.

‘How about dinner?’ He responded almost immediately.

‘I actually can’t. I’m flying back home for a week, but I really want to see you before I leave.’ Adaline admitted and hit the send button before she could chicken out of admitting she wanted to see him.

‘Oh. I didn’t know you were leaving. But, I do want to see you before you go.’ Sidney had texted back.

‘My mom isn’t feeling too well. My dad is heading out of town on business and doesn’t want to leave her alone.’ Adaline replied.

‘Oh. I’m sorry. I hope she’s okay. What time would you like to meet up tomorrow?’ Sidney texted back.

‘How about eleven?’ Adaline asked.

‘Sounds good. I’ll pick the place?’ Sidney and her hammered out the rest of the plan. She had just brushed her teeth when she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

“Yea?” She called from the attached bathroom. James walked in and stood in the doorway of the bathroom.

“I was uh…thinking. Maybe you could leave your bags here? You know not have to pay the extra money to check the bags if you’re going to be staying.” James suggested sheepishly. Adaline froze suddenly. If she left her bags at James’s house it was like she was moving in. Was she ready for that? To give her life up in Los Angeles? She knew that their conversation from earlier suggested that she would be staying longer; but actually leaving her bag made it all real. She looked up into James’s eyes and her nerves seemed to fade. She sensed that he needed her; that he needed to not be left alone. There was no way she was going to turn him away. If she were Sara, she’d want her best friend to be there, to help her husband get through the difficult time.

~
Adaline rose early the next morning and roused James from bed with the promise of breakfast. He was dressed in a pair of shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. Adaline had on a pair of white jeans, a floral tank top, and white flip-flops.

After breakfast, they were on their way to the grocery store to pick up everything to make food for James. Taking James to the grocery store was like taking a monkey to the store.

He immediately set off touching everything, bumping her with the cart, trying to play basketball with groceries; throwing them into the cart. She had a blush on her face the entire time, laughing at his antics. Every time she added new food to the cart he groaned when he heard the recipes they were going to make. She had never seen James more excited about food than he was now.

“Adaline, are there some good Mexican recipes in there?” He asked hopefully.

“Am I not from California?” Adaline asked him jokingly which seemed to pacify him for the time being.

After an hour of shopping, Adaline and James unloaded everything. He then announced he was going to work out. She asked to borrow the car to run another errand and he threw the keys her way.

‘I’m on my way’ Adaline texted Sidney, to which he replied he was as well. She pulled up to a nice place that served brunch. She rolled her eyes at Sidney, opting for brunch that would take them longer to eat than a cup of coffee.

She waited outside the restaurant and saw him approach in jeans, a t-shirt, and a black ball cap. Immediately, a smiled it up her face and his and they met somewhere in the middle. Adaline leaned in for a brief hug and an even more so brief kiss on the cheek. Just as she pulled back, she felt his hand sneak down her arm, and grab her hand. He smiled down at her with gleaming eyes.

“Hi.” He whispered.

“Hi.” She whispered looking up at him. Without heels on, their height difference was quite noticeable. It made him feel quite primal, towering over her like that.

“Ready to go?” Sid asked.

“To brunch you mean?” Adaline asked, knowing that she had caught him. His cheeks had a slight tinge, being caught in his slight deception.

“Yea. Let’s go.” Sidney smiled and dragged her toward the door. They were quickly seated and ordered just as quick.

“Do you miss home?” Sidney questioned.

“Yes and no. I miss my family and I miss the city, but I feel like when I do go home, I’ll miss all of you guys and the city as well.” Adaline thoughtfully commented. Sidney nodded at her answer.

“I think I’m the same way. I miss my family during the season, but while summer is going on I miss all the guys and Pittsburgh.” Sidney agreed.

“What’s home like?” Adaline asked.

“It’s relaxing. I can finally decompress from the stress of the season.” Sidney said with this far off look in his eye.

“I feel the same when I go home or I’m walking around the city. It’s like I’m relaxed and nothing can touch me. When I’m standing in the middle of all the tall buildings I loose myself and I calm down.” Adaline said. “Although, I imagine that it’s a bit different out in the country.” She laughed. Sidney agreed and looked at Adaline. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail and the breeze from the outside terrace. The sunlight was peeking out from the early morning clouds shining down warming them up.

For a moment, Sidney was sort of stunned at the sight looking in front of him. Sitting before him was the whole package. She was beautiful, kind, smart, funny; honestly he could keep going talking about her. They had been on one date, but he knew that he definitely wanted to go on more. He usually had a passing interest in women, but Adaline made him want to stick around, to keep the interest going. It was like something between them was clicking and he didn’t want to let go.

Adaline was looking over at Sidney across the table from her and couldn’t believe that this man was interested in her. He was sexy, generous, incredibly sweet and funny. He made her want to put herself out there and potentially start something with him. She was excited about the possibility of their relationship furthering and them getting closer. He seemed like someone she could see her going the distance with, even if was too early to even entertain that idea.

They continued with the rest of brunch and seemed to linger onto conversation and each other’s presence. Adaline finally checked the phone and saw how late it was getting.

“I hate to cut this short, but I have to get back to Jamie’s to put together food for the week while I’m gone.” Adaline informed him. Sidney seemed to be disappointed for a second because they had to end their conversation.

“I understand. I think what you’re doing for him is great. I don’t think any of us would have been able to get him through this like you are.” Sidney admired and Adaline blushed.

“I couldn’t imagine not helping him.” Adaline stated honestly. Sidney once again snuck the waitress his card before Adaline realized what he was doing. Sidney sheepishly smiled at her when her eyebrow arched in disapproval.

As they made their way out of the restaurant, Adaline held onto his hand tightly. She didn’t really want to let him go, but she knew she had to. Sidney walked her all the way to her car, turning her to face him as she leaned up against James’s suburban.

“I’ll see you when you get back.” Sidney stated. Adaline smiled up at his statement, him saying that he wanted to see her when she came back to Pittsburgh.

“I’ll be looking forward to it.” Adaline said staring up into his eyes. Time seemed to slow around them and it seemed to be the perfect opportunity for him to lean down and kiss her, only he didn’t want this to be the way he remembered his first kiss.

Instead, he leaned down placing a lingering kiss on her cheek and pulled her in for a long hug. Adaline nestled her head into his chest and breathed deeply. Sidney buried his head in her neck and wanted to stay there as long as possible.

Adaline pulled back and looked up at him once more.

“Goodbye Sidney. I’ll send you a text in the morning.” Adaline assured him. Sidney smiled down at her, kissed her cheek one more time and bid his goodbyes.

~
Adaline spent the rest of the day cooking reheat able meals for James as he sat on the counter watching her, and chatting her ear off. She tried to ignore the ticking clock as it counted down the hours for her to leave.

James didn’t seem to be all that thrilled that Adaline was leaving either. He had been so used to having her around the house, keeping it from being quiet and him slipping into a depression thinking about Sara all the time.

Dinner was even quieter as Adaline tried to keep talking to James to keep his mind off of her leaving.

~
“I’ll be back soon Jamie.” Adaline smiled at James as he walked her to her gate.

“I know. I’ll see you soon Addie.” James smiled and pulled her into a big hug.

“I’ll call you throughout the week.” Adaline said as she slung her purse higher on her shoulder and walked turned around to board the plane.

She let her father know she had gotten on the plane and was on her way back home. After the day, she was both mentally and physically exhausted. It was about 7:30 by the time the plane took off, so she wouldn’t arrive in LA until about 9:00 the next morning, so she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

~
Getting out of her dad’s home and walking back into her family home was a relief. She had slept the entire flight, so she wasn’t tired. Her mother was lying down in her room and her dad had dropped her off and was on his was back to the airport to leave for his trip. Instead of walking up to see her mother, she walked into the backyard and breathed in the California air. Her mind was already put to ease as she stood under the warm sun. The t-shirt and shorts fit right in with the warm Californian air.
‘I’m here Jamie.’ Adaline texted him. She received an answer immediately telling her that he was going to go skate. She promised him that she’d keep him updated throughout the week. She then went to Kirsten, her closest friend in LA, and shot her a text letting her know that she was back in town and asked if she wanted to get together.

‘Hi, Sidney. I just wanted to let you know I got home just fine. Maybe we can talk later?’ Adaline sent him.

She then went up to see her mother.

“Hi mom.” Adaline said as she knocked on her mom’s door.

“Adaline.” Her mother said in her normal cool voice.

“Is there anything I can get you?” Adaline asked her.

“No. I’m fine at the moment.” Her mother dismissed. Adaline let her mother know she’d be back tonight. She drove back to her place in Manhattan Beach and smiled when she got into her tiny apartment, it was home.

~
Later in the afternoon, Adaline had walked down to the beach and decided to lie out for a while, soaking up the sun while she could before heading back to Pittsburgh.

Ring. Ring.

“Hey Kirsten!” Adaline smiled into the receiver.

“Adaline! How are you? I’m so sorry to hear about Sara.” Kirsten sympathetically said.

“Thank you. It hurts more than I could have ever imagined.” Adaline whispered. She looked out at the ocean, smiling at the peaceful feeling it brought her.

“Do you want to get together to talk about it all? Maybe go eat on the boardwalk or something?” Kirsten asked.

“Yea. I’ll send you a text later to confirm plans?” Adaline said, before laying back on the beach.

After about an hour later, Adaline got up and headed home noticing a text from Sidney.

‘I’d love to talk tonight. Give me a call when you can.’

Her heart stuttered as she thought about Sidney and the time they had spent together. She could see herself developing some serious feelings if she didn’t watch herself. But, was that a life she wanted? Did she want to be in a relationship essentially by herself, catching phone calls whenever he had time? Sure, there were plenty of women seeing hockey players; but Sidney wasn’t some ordinary hockey player. He was the face of the sport…the face of a country. His schedule would be more demanding and he’d have even less time if he was in a relationship. Did she really want to potentially get involved with someone that would be one foot in the door and one foot out the door if they were together, because he’d known no other way?

~
“Kirsten!” Adaline called as she saw her friend walk into the tiny Mexican joint they always frequented. Kirsten was about an average height and curves that Adaline would kill for. Her black hair fell down to about her shoulders in thick curls, framing her tanned skin and dark green eyes.

“Hey!” Kirsten called as she walked over to Adaline and pulled her into a big hug. “You already look like a ghost! The sun missed you!” Kirsten joked as she sat down at the small wooden table.

“I can feel the tan draining from me while I’m out there.” Adaline laughed as she stuffed a chip with salsa into her mouth, munching happily.

“How’re you doing with everything?” Kirsten asked with a sudden soberness. Adaline was in the middle of scooping a chip in salsa when it fell out of her hand, back into the bowl.

“I honestly don’t know. It seems all so surreal, like it didn’t just happen. But, then I go to call her or I think of her, and I realize…I just can’t anymore.” Adaline said looking down at the table.

“I’m so sorry sweetie. I can’t even imagine.” Kirsten sympathized. “How is her husband doing?” Kirsten asked sympathetically.

“He’s uh…he’s surviving. Sometimes, it’s like I think he’s going to get through this one day and other times he looks so destroyed I don’t know how he’s ever going to recover.” Adaline glumly revealed.

“I can’t even imagine what he’s going through. If I ever lost my partner I don’t know if I’d make it through.” Kirsten affirmed. The two ordered dinner and Kirsten turned to a happier topic, talking about her pug, Thomas, and the friend he’d met at the dog park. It was just enough silliness to make Adaline bust out into laughter, making her forget everything that had happened over the last week.

“I actually went on a date.” Adaline revealed to Kirsten. Kirsten’s eyes turned giddy, as she heard her best friend admit to actually going on a date.

“With who?!” Kirsten excitedly asked.

“Someone named Sidney.” Adaline could have dropped his name and Kirsten wouldn’t have batted an eye. Growing up in California, although the hockey market was growing, not many people followed the sport beyond the team’s score each night. Not many could even name a player, but it was something different to do in the city. So, Kirsten was the perfect person to talk to about this.

“Do you like him?”

“I think so. It’s early, really early. But, he has an incredible personality and he’s everything and more.” Adaline confided.

“Oh god. You’re done for. You already have moon eyes when you talk about him.” Kirsten stated.

“I do not!” Adaline protested, a major smile breaking out on her face. It was like thinking about Sidney made her smile more than most things on these dark days.

~
Later that night, Adaline was cuddled up on her couch with her munchkin cat, Austen. Luckily, she had nice neighbors so she was able to travel and they’d pop in to check her food and water.

The TV was fading into background noise as she sipped a glass of red wine. Austen was lying pushed up against her hip acting like a small purring furnace. Her tanned legs were propped up against the tiny coffee table. She was completely relaxed, simply enjoying the peaceful evening.

She picked up her phone and scrolled down to Sidney’s name, hitting the call button.

“Hey Adaline.” His warm voice breathed into the receiver.
♠ ♠ ♠
As promised, another update!! I'm not slacking off of this story again! Thank you for all of the comments and subscriptions! I love you all and your comments and love make me want to write it all the more!! Thank you!! Until next time!