Status: Setting up for the next act.

All out and Over

Chapter Sixteen: Home Run.

Rickets watched Freddy head in the wrong direction. He knew where the boy was headed and what he’d find. It’s going to be a bad night, Freddy. He glanced at Jack, behind the bar, who stood ready to pour another whiskey.

“No thanks, Buddy. How much do I owe you?” Rickets asked. He ordered only one drink this time, but he always paid up front. Malory taught him a long time ago that debts weren’t something he wanted to accumulate. Debts were to be feared in a place like this. Owing someone meant a lot, but around here it could mean your blood. He subconsciously rubbed the back of his right shoulder, feeling the rough skin beneath his shirt, before he focused on Jack again.

“Just one, Ric, don’t worry about it. Consider it payment for that best I lost last week?” Jack smiled and nodded.

“Thanks, now, how much does the kid owe?” Rickets watched his gambling partner for a long moment. He rarely paid off anyone’s debts but he had seen what drinking could do to Freddy. As the newest member of the Queen’s playhouse, Freddy couldn’t get himself in too deep. Not when she still needed him sober.

“He hasn’t paid since he’s been here, Ric. It’s a little steep.” Jack shrugged.

“How much?” Ricket’s eyes seemed to harden as he stared at the strong man. Anyone else on the train would fear Jack’s wrath, and the man did have a severe temper, but not one of the animals would bother to hurt Rickets. Not while he was under Malory’s thumb, although they might pay a good sum for his services, if they knew about them.

“Two hundred. He drinks a lot at night when everyone is sleeping. Doesn’t say much, but mumbles a lot.” Jack said with a swift nod.

Rickets threw down two bills and smiled. “Keep an eye out for him, will ya? He’s a friend, and I don’t want to see him hurt.”

“You got it.” Jack said with a stiff nod before pouring a shot glass and passing it to one of the acrobats.

For people who claim to have impeccable balance, those idiots can’t hold their liquor and walk very well. The acrobat stumbled as he threw back his shot, dropped the glass on the floor, and bumped into several dancing girls.

“For anyone sober enough to handle it, the poker game is still on for tonight.” Rickets said to Jack before he climbed down off the stool. He headed through the entertainment car looking for somewhere quieter. He never liked the noise of the circus, but he had to pay his bills somehow.

The train cabins were limited. Some had to double up, but Rickets was usually overlooked. Malory’s need for two rooms often accommodated him, but the best thing about her cabins was that he was close to the boss. His short legs slowed their pace as he neared the room housing the carnival’s owner.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do after this year’s tour.” The deep voice came from the cracked door.

“What are you talking about, Darling?” His wife purred. Rickets always thought of the woman as a glorified house cat.

“There’s not enough money in our budget to keep going.” Boss sighed. “Look at these numbers! Even I could see the crowds were getting smaller this year. People aren’t interested.”

“What are they looking for?” His wife questioned. “Your little fire starter seems to have everyone eating out of the palm of her hand. The gossips and their husbands too.”

“We could do more dancers,” he said. “Less clothes and more movement, but that’ll mean firing half our cast and rehiring new people.”

“That fortuneteller can finally be through,” his wife said with a giggle.

“No. She stays.” He argued. “The Queen of Hearts is a crowd favorite; she always brings in a good cash flow.”

“The firecracker brings in more.”

“I’m not losing the one thing that keeps this place in check better than I do.” The boss said before his wife gasped. “If I have to chose, I will always bet on Malory.”

‘Damn,’ Rickets thought. ‘Mal is getting rid of one, just to bring in more.’ He shook his head. “She isn’t going to like this,” Rickets whispered to himself as he crossed his arms and leaned against the wall. The boss’s head popped out of the doorway, his dark beard curled awkwardly above Rickets. The man’s head swivled back and forth, but he never once looked down.

“What’s wrong?” His wife cooed.

“Nothing. There’s nothing.” He answered as he shut the door behind him. Ric moved into the next room and shook his head.

Some things are better left unsaid.

~~~

Malory’s eyes lingered on the fumbling couple. Cara’s fire engulfed their lying lion. Emotions bubbled within her, and it was only a matter of time before she made her return to Chicago. She hated to admit it, but she did avoid this city for so many reasons. This journey would bring her more than horrible memories.

Finally, I’ll get what I want. Blood in the place where it started.

“Men,” she scoffed as she turned away from the vulgar sight. As much as she wanted to watch the carnal act, she couldn’t make her heart endure it. She wanted to know how the little flame burned their lion tamer; she craved details, but Malory knew better than to allow her anger get to her. No, she pushed it down and moved through the silent compartmentalize train car.

The door to the entertainment car slid open easily before a puff of smoke filtered out of the room. She moved to the bar, stepping over passed out bodies and avoiding being hit by flying acrobats. The party had gotten wilder. A couple she recognized, but hadn’t dealt with before, groped each other in the corner. She took a seat on one of the stools.

“Jack!” She called with a crimson smile. “It’s been such a long time, where have you been?”

“Around.” The strong man shrugged and smiled. “Are you coming to the game tonight?”

‘I know you’ve been playing dress up with the boss’s wife again,’ she thought to herself as she shook her head at the offer of alcohol.

“Probably not. My appearance tends to spoil the mood.” Who has the time for poker when there are much bigger things to worry about? “Is there any coffee back there? Or tea maybe?”

A deep chuckle resounded beside her. She didn’t notice him pull a chair beside her, but Xavier often had the habit of just appearing out of thin air. One of these days your bad habits are going to get you into trouble Magic Man. “Why would you ask for tea here when you know I have the best in the circus?”

Malory gave him a Cheshire grin before she spoke. “Why would I want tea that is riddled with questions and trickery?”

“We both know I don’t…” Xavier started but she shook a finger at him.

“Whatever game you intend to play with me, Darling, it’s not a good idea.” She subtly warned while accepted the hot cup of black coffee from Jack.

“Thanks, I’ll take this in my cabin, if you don’t mind.” Jack nodded at her, and she left him a hefty tip. Malory couldn’t resist the urge to smile again at her old friend who put his nose in places it shouldn’t go. She leaned down and kissed him on the cheek. Without another word, she turned away from him with her steaming cup in hand.

All great things come in due time, and that time is almost upon us. “I’ll be home again soon enough,” Malory whispered to herself as she took a sip.

~~~

The night wore on, and Rickets made a few dollars off the cards. Tricks came easy when you know the master. He kept a watchful eye for Freddy, but the boy, for once, never showed up.

“All out, boys and girls,” Rickets yelled as he stood on the table next to Jack. “We’ll be arriving in Chicago about four hours from now. Sleep is calling now because work will come sooner than you think.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Home Run — The trip from Home Sweet Home back to winter quarters.

Please keep those drinks coming Jack. We are going to need them.
Now that Chicago is getting awfully close, will the curtain finally drop?

To get a last glimpse of the show, please purchase enterance by commenting! Don't wait too long, fire can be unpredictably quick and destroying, but it can also be tamed and put out.