Status: Setting up for the next act.

All out and Over

Chapter Eighteen: An Unstable Perch Act.

Malory took several slow sips from her glass as the train rocked gently on the rails. Drinking wasn’t usually something she did. Alcohol dulled the senses, but tonight she needed something stronger than coffee. Time moved too quickly, and she needed to slow it down. Malory took a deep breath, the heady scent of the amber liquid filling her mind while the taste burned her throat.

She could feel Chicago approaching the same way she could sense rain in the air. It was an impending yet exciting sensation. Jazz moved through the air, slow and warm. Her mind eased into the same state it had been years ago when she was going home to her husband, to Steven. All was happy and perfect. Her drink filled her veins, warming her blood.

Loud banging on her door caused her to flinch. Her easy mindset disappeared in an instant. She moved from her chair; the silk of her black slip caressed her thighs as she walked toward the door. Her drink sat on the table before she slid the door aside. Malory’s face hardened as her old friend’s eyes trailed over her body.

“Why do you keep showing up, Magic Man?” She questioned. Her voice sounded like ice.

“I think this belongs to you.” Xavier pulled the firecracker from her leaning position on the wall. Her clothes were ripped and filthy.

“What in God’s name happened to her?!” Malory found herself truly worried for a moment. Of course she’d go and get herself in trouble before this ended!

“Your knife thrower could use a stern talking to, but I think you’ll find her to your liking.” Xavier offered a small apologetic smile. “I think I came off a little strong the last time we spoke.”

“Strong?” Malory tried to stop her laugh, but it was no use. “You always speak your mind, that’s what I love most about you, but you need to mind your…”

“I know you’re planning something, Love, and I believe I have figured out your mystery.” He moved past Malory, laying Cara carefully on the bed. “Trust me as you did all those years ago.” His smile returned to Malory.

“You will always have my attention, Magic Man,” Malory whispered.

Xavier held out his hand, caressing her cheek with his thumb. “And you shall always have my heart, Fortuneteller. Just as you had in that first night we met in Chicago.” He planted a gentle kiss on her cheek before he moved to sit on the bed next to Cara. Malory lifted her glass by the door to her lips. Xavier shook his head as he took it from her hand, “I thought you were more of a tea woman, Love.” The glass met his lips as he drained the last of its contents. “Next time you decide to drink alone, call for me first.”

“Why should I?” She questioned as she took her glass back, filling it again.

“My parlor tricks may not work on you, Mal, but they will please you.” The magician ran his hand along the firecracker’s shoulder. Cara’s eyes popped open, tears brimmed her lower lids.

Malory watched him carefully as Cara moaned and cried. She drew her knees to her chest as she shivered violently. “What happened to her?” Malory questioned.

“You suddenly care,” Cara cried. “You’ve been pushing me, and this is what I get for it!” Sobs filled the large compartment.

“I have never been anything but…” Malory trailed off as Xavier tapped her shoulder in an odd rhythm. She recognized the slow rhythm. It matched a song she used to hum when she first arrived in the circus; a song her mother sang to her in her childhood. The low throaty hum was so soothing and peaceful Malory caught herself slipping under its spell. She shook her head quickly.

“Cara,” Xavier whispered, “sit up, now. Stop your tears.” The firecracker did as she was told. Malory, fascinated by the act, moved closer to her. She stood by the girl, stroking a strand of her fiery locks.

“Apologize for your tone of voice. You know, what happened to you was not Malory’s fault.” Xavier’s eyes lingered on Mal’s face as Cara turned toward the fortune teller.

“I’m sorry, Malory,” Cara stated. “I didn’t mean to snap at you; it’s not your fault.”

Her dark eyes widened as she stared at the magician. “Tell me what I can do to help you.” Xavier whispered as if he didn’t want Cara to hear. Malory opened her mouth, but closed it quickly.

I will not incriminate myself! What kind of fool do you take me for?

“I know about Dmitri, Love.” Xavier smiled at her.

“I don’t know if I can hurt him,” Cara stated. Her eyes were still glassy. What do you mean you can’t…?

“She has true feelings for your Lion Tamer, Mal. You should’ve known better than to send an uncontrolled child to do a job fit for a woman like you.” Xavier watched confusion fade from her features while anger presented itself.

Malory stood from the bed. Her heart hammered in her chest as if it was going to break through her ribs. That bastard! What did he promise this time? She wanted all of the details, needed them as she needed air, but she couldn’t ask.

“Tell her to be a good girl and to do as she’s told.” Malory nodded as she spoke. Her dark eyes couldn’t meet the searching orbs of Xavier’s. “Tell her to do as I say, and this will all be over soon.”

She slid the door open without looking at the magic man and slipped out. Paper cups and drunken bodies lingered in the hallway. Rickets always did throw the best parties, but usually he cleaned up his messes better than this. Malory banged on the door. Why she continued taking pity on the clown was beyond her, but he was a good friend.

“Ric! We need to talk!” She yelled at the door. Nothing happened. Malory growled as she slid her spare room door open and walked in. Flipping on the overhead light, she shuddered at the trash littering the floor. Poker chips strewn across the room, an over turned table top, and cigarette smoke filled her senses.

Malory found Rickets on the bunk in the back of the room. A smoldering cigarette hung from his lips as he stared vacantly out the window. “We’re almost there.” He whispered.

“What the hell is wrong with your little protégé!” She hissed.

Rickets turned toward her, shock filled his dark circled eyes. “What are you talking about?”

“That stupid knife thrower made a pass at my fire starter, Ric. He was supposed to mind his manners, remember?” She began to pace back and forth in the room. Her skin was acutely aware of the way Rickets’ eyes lingered on the skin that wasn’t used to seeing light, but she was too angry to feel self conscious. She was too curious to worry about her appearance in front of Xavier too. Chicago neared and each moment it grew closer killed her sanity.

“I didn’t know…”

“Is he drinking again?!” She yelled.

“How should…?”

“Is he fucking drinking?” Her eyes were as sharp as daggers as she slammed her hand against the wall. “Do I need to take care of your friend the way I’m taking care of the fire starter and the lion tamer, Ric?”

“I’ll handle it, Mal.” Rickets promised. “Calm down, and I’ll take care of Freddy.”

“If you don’t…” Malory trailed off as she headed back toward the door. “I’ve been easy on the boy because he’s your friend, but don’t think I won’t find something in his future to ruin him too.” She slammed the sliding door behind her.

Xavier stood outside her door. He nodded his accomplishment to her before he disappeared down the dark, trashy hall. “I’ll be damned if Chicago will ruin me a second time.” Malory whispered into the darkness before she slipped back into her room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Perch Act — A balancing act involving use of apparatus upon which one person performs while being balanced by another.

Malory is balancing too many players, maybe it was time she got rid of a few? Her perch act has been getting too much disbalance and to know who will fall; buy tickets at the entrance and wait for the next act to begin. In the meantime you could enjoy a drink from Freddy, or even get some Molly with the twins, but beware; the circus is never safe!

A young Malory joining the circus in Chigago, but she turned out to be the main player after all. Her quaters unlike any, tresspassed by few