Status: Setting up for the next act.

All out and Over

Chapter Six: Ricket's Debut

She stood in front of the mirror like she did nearly every morning. Today, instead of pulling her cheeks back and up trying to rid herself of the many awful wrinkles she thought she saw, Malory just stared at herself. She slept well after her conversation with the clown, so her dark eyes seemed to be offset by the supple pale skin beneath them. The crow’s feet that almost drove her insane were pretty much invisible. Her face was calm instead of angry, for once, so there were no large creases in her forehead. Those high cheekbones she loved dearly—the only thing she ever loved about her own face—perfectly offset her button nose and drew her sensual eyes to her plump lips; the bottom lip left in a permanent pout while the top lip curved leaving a naturally perfect ‘v’ shape in the center and aligned perfectly with the bottom of her nose. Both were stained a dark shade of pink from the reddish-black lipstick she wore during her act. She had to admit…

“Today, I am beautiful.” A flirty come hither smile graced her lips. She could almost see that young girl who joined the circus in the mirror. That girl all the men fought to talk too, but knew they probably would never get her alone like they wished.

“You look different,” an unfamiliar voice flew through Malory’s ears. She pulled her floor length, silk, stripy robe tighter around her body as she turned to face it. A small piece of the white corset she wore beneath her show gown peeked through the top of the robe. She could feel the sultriness fall from her features the moment she realized who this voice belonged to.

“Acrobat,” Meredith half cooed to keep from growling. “I almost forgot about you…”

Disappointment riddled the small girl’s face. She crossed her rail-thin arms over her boyish flat chest. The crimson leotard she wore did nothing for her figure besides show off the angular bones of her ribcage, her too flat hips. If Malory ever thought of herself as fat—which she never did—looking at this girl in her skin tight outfit with her ribs exposed would have made her feel very healthy. Whore!

“Have you lost weight?” Malory asked sweetly. Her thoughts, however, said, “If you don’t eat you’ll die; and I’ll get paid more.”

“No!” She rolled her eyes and put her hand on her hip. “Why would you ask?”

Malory smiled and gestured toward the table in the center of her tint covered with the black table cloth that held her magic crystal ball, her favorite set of tarot cards, and the cheap light switches that made smoke fill the ball and the lights flicker. Her little tricks came in handy and brought in huge tips when she decided to do séances. The acrobat smoothed down her slicked back, coal black hair. Her slanted eyes moved with the edge of her lips as a coy smile played on the corners of her mouth. ‘Those sharp features would be better suited on anyone else.’ Malory thought as the girl’s neck moved with the breath she sucked in.

“Before we get started, you said you had payment?” Malory stated as her eyes trailed over the lines of the acrobat’s palm. She wasn’t trying hard to find anything, but she saw a life of changes and pain that came along with the circus lifestyle. These were dangerous hands indeed.

She nodded vigorously. “I know all about the strongman with the Freak Show. Aren’t you friends with that clown?” Her words fired out of her mouth like cannon balls.

“Not exactly. He has good gossip and I tell his girlfriend good news every now and again.” Malory rolled her eyes. “What about the strongman?”

“He…” she trailed off and looked around to make sure no one could hear before she leaned closer to Malory, “…likes to wear some of the female costumes. I caught him trying to put on the bearded lady’s dress and he wanted to try on one of my sparkly thin leos.” Her face contorted into disgust.

Malory already knew this little tidbit of information. She’d given the strongman one of her old costumes so he would pick the pocket of a wealthy client. Information is key in the game she plays and that man’s wallet was full of useful information. She did return it, after taking a well-deserved tip by way of the magician’s assistant. Maybe she’ll come in handy later, but she’ll have to do a lot better than a cross dresser’s scandal!

“What would you like to know?” Malory asked. Shuffling the cards gave her fingers something to concentrate on, and something to distract the girl’s attention. She gave Malory a sidelong glance; confusion caused the bridge of her nose to crinkle as her brows knotted together. Maybe she won’t come in handy; stupidity is neither pretty nor useful. “These readings are much easier to do if you want to know something specific, either about your past or your future. It gives me something to-“

“Is he going to leave her?” She blurted out, half slamming her hands down on the table. The fortuneteller gritted her teeth and forced a kind smile.

‘You do not interrupt! Not when I’m doing you a favor!’ Malory growled in her head. “Let’s find out.” She said aloud. Her long, chunky fingers wrapped around the acrobat’s right wrist, pulling her tanned arm over the table until she could run a long black nail over the back of her hand. She twisted the girl’s wrist until her chipped nails faced the ceiling. With a hard squeeze of the wrist, the acrobat’s fingers shot open with a little squeal of pain.

A long black fingernail traced the ragged lines in the acrobat’s right palm. Malory saw no need in doing her usual performance with this…mooching, little brat…but she couldn’t help herself from going over the script in her mind. As a female, you were born with your right hand first and your left second. This makes your right the past and your left the future; however, major changes in your palms could show… Malory took up the girl’s left hand, tracing the lines very carefully. …major changes in your current life or in your future depending on what the cards say.

“I would need his palm as well to tell you an exact answer, but in what you’ve brought me…” Malory said with a slow drawl forming in her tone. Her faux, thick accent was trying to play the game. “I know there is either a significant change happening or about to happen. From the looks of it, I’d say happening…”

The lines, some faint some deep, were so different on both the acrobat’s hands. It wasn’t unusual, but it did mean the girl would have a lot of changes, and possible inconsistencies, in her past and her future. Malory focused on her right heart line though, since the girl only wanted to know about her love life. The line started in between her middle and ring fingers. It began as a scraggly thin line across the top of her palm and waved around to the side of her hand stopping just below her pinky finger. Of course she falls in love easily and has had many lovers. Malory had to physically stop her eyes from rolling with a deep breath.

“I see you’ve had many lovers in your past. You were insecure in your emotions, maybe experimented a little when you were younger, but things are growing a little clearer every day.” As she spoke little gasps of awe came from the girl, leaning in closer to see what Malory was seeing.

“I don’t care about my past! What about the future?”

Malory took up her left hand. The left heart line was more distinguished than the right, but it still began between her middle and ring fingers and waved. There was a small whole at the start of the line and three lines that crossed the middle. Long dark nails trailed over the small discrepancies as the fortune teller sighed. “You still fall in love too easily, Darling, and someone has hurt you recently.”

Malory took the time to look at the girl’s face. Her wide smile faltered as a crinkle in her nose creased her brows. Her dark eyes narrowed as her fingers twitched to smooth down her already slicked back hair. “I haven’t been hurt…” She trailed off. It sounded more like a confirmation rather than a protest, so Malory continued.

“You feel more confident in your love life, although you are still taking on many lovers.”

The acrobat’s face turned so red it almost matched her leotard. “I…”

“It’s no need to try. The lines don’t lie.” A half smile flitted across Malory’s lips before a deep set found took hold of her. She released the girl’s hands as she noticed the three lines crossing the middle of her line. “And the lines are telling me you will be heartbroken again. I don’t think you are going to get what you want.”

The girl’s lips puckered. Discontentment colored her face. She stuck her palm out again. “NO! Look! That’s not true!”

“That’s what they say.” Malory pushed her hand aside. “Now, get out so I can get dressed. I have other things to do.”

The acrobat stood there with shock written across her face. Malory turned her back to the girl and let her stripy silk robe fall to the floor before she reached for her show gown. The silk overlay felt like heaven beneath her fingers while the cotton bodice was warm and comfortable against the small bits of her exposed skin. She donned the gown and waved in the mirror as the acrobat stormed out. As she smeared rouge across her cheeks, she thought of the large round red dots on Rickets the clown’s cheeks.

“Rickets! Dear, how are you? I haven’t heard from you in quite a while. How’s that pretty girl of yours?” Malory cooed. Her red lips were spread wide as she kneeled down and hugged the clown. He tried to force a smile without dropping the cigarette from between his scarlet lips. She wiped her cheek to make sure his white makeup hadn’t messed up her face.

“We broke up two days ago. Apparently, the circus life just wasn’t for her anymore.” Rickets tried to laugh, but Malory could tell it was bothering him.

“I’m so sorry to hear that. She was such a good girl…” She trialed off shaking her head. With a grin she patted him on the shoulder. “I always thought you were too good for her.”

“Liar!” A true laugh poured from the clown’s lips along with clouds of smoke. He took his cigarette out of his mouth. “You are in a good mood.”

“That I am.” She winked. “Would you like to know who is sleeping with whom?”

“Hell yes!” He stated turning his body to face her before he leaned in closer, sticking his ear out dramatically. “That’s the best kind of gossip.”

“The lion tamer,” Malory whispered, “is trying to tame our local firecracker.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The Best Kind of Gossip

I am pleased to introduce you to my friend, Rickets. If there was ever a time you were afraid of clowns, you haven't seen anything yet. ~ Malory.