‹ Prequel: Nap With Me
Status: complete, enjoy!

Accidents Happen

one of one

"Sis, I am not going to be able to parallel park. Are you serious?"

"Oh, you'll be fine!" Taryn muttered, blue eyes lighting up as she zeroed in on an open spot, "There's one right there! Hurry, before it gets jacked!"

"This is such bullshit." Paige groaned, shaking her head as she inched forward, trying to line up the rental car to fit into the parking space. Cursing when another car beeped their horn at her, she hit the breaks and shoved her hand out of the window, flipping the person off.

"Focus, Paige."

"Shut your mouth. I'm good on that side, right?"

"Yeah," Taryn murmured, "As far as I can see!"

Paige growled and started backing into the space. She smiled to herself when she eased in, she almost let out a whoop of success...

Until there was the distinct sound of metal scraping metal.

"You said I was good!" She screeched, all of the color draining from her face.

"You done fucked up." Taryn whispered, turning to look at her younger sibling.

"This is fucking why I told you to drive!" Paige snapped, throwing the rental into park and whipping off her seat belt. The pair climbed out of the car and Grace nearly started to cry when she seen the expensive looking Harley now laying on its side. "Great." She groaned, "Now I'm going to have some pissed off biker dude to deal with and I really didn't want to go to jail this weekend!" Paige raved, raking her hands through her locks and shouting, "What?!" At her sister when Taryn jabbed an elbow into her ribs.

"Uhm..." Taryn whispered, grabbing her sisters shoulders and whirling her around so that she could see the man that was heading in their direction.

"Oh...oh dear Lord." Paige moaned, tears started to leak down her face. "Of-fucking-course." She turned back around and buried her face into her hands. "This cannot be happening right now."

Hearing Taryn trying to stifle her giggles, did nothing but fuel Paige's embarrassment. She couldn't even turn around when she heard Steve Rogers greet her sister. Face still buried in her hands, Grace sniffled, startling when she heard his voice right in front of her.

"Ma'am? Are you okay? You weren't hurt at all, were you?"

She wanted to punch him. She'd hit her bike with her rental car and he was more concerned with her well being. It was so....Captain America, of him. Pulling her hands away from her face, she looked up and muttered, "No."

Steve frowned upon seeing that she was crying. Concern washed over his features as he tried to figure out why she was, if she wasn't hurt. "Well...what are the tears for then, Ma'am?"

Paige gaped at him.

"I backed into Captain America's motorcycle! Captain. America. Do you realize how bad and embarrassing that is?!"

Paige watched a grin take over his features as he shrugged his shoulders and muttered,

"Well, my friends call me Steve."

This was the second time in the span of ten minutes she felt like punching Captain America. That couldn't be good, could it?" Instead, she stared at him for a moment, blinking slowly before she looked to Taryn,

"Un-fucking-believable."

Taryn shrugged before she covered her mouth to hide her grin and stifle the snort that had escaped her.

"Listen--." Steve murmured gently, waiting for a moment until Paige offered him her name, "Paige, it really isn't that big of a deal. She's been through worse than a love tap, trust me." He turned and pulled the motorcycle back up effortlessly, smiling as he turned back to her, "See. Barely even a scratch."

Making his way back over to the pair, he shoved his hands into his pockets and rocked back on his heels, "But...I was just heading out to meet a friend, and if you really feel like you need to make it up to me, there's this awesome ice cream parlor down the street. Let's say you buy me some ice cream and we'll call it good?"

"Seriously?" Paige asked, eyes flying up to meet his soft blue gaze, noting the gentle smile that curved his lips upward,

"Seriously, you put yourself through enough trauma in the last few minutes and there's no real damage done to the Harley, so I think that's a fair trade."

Before Paige could even open her mouth to protest, Taryn was hiking her purse over her shoulder and saying, "Sounds great to me, let's go!"

Paige shook her head, not believing that she was walking side by side with Steve Rogers. Her mind wandered as she took in their surroundings. She jolted when Taryn yet again jabbed her in the ribs, hissing at glaring at her sister, she mouthed "bitch." before turning to look at Steve.

"I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"If you guys are here for the day, I would suggest going to The National Mall...there's a lot of great stuff there."

"Oh, that's why we're here actually, we took a day trip down from Martinsburg."

"Really?" Steve asked, eyebrows shooting up in surprise. "Well...if you need a tour guide...I know a guy that knows the place pretty well."

Paige stopped for a moment. 'I'll be damned. Captain America's got game.' She laughed softly, looking up at him and smiling, "Well...I mean if you know a guy."

They reached the ice cream parlor and Steve, ever the gentleman, held the door open for the ladies. Wincing when he heard Thor's booming voice greet him, he looked at them sheepishly and scratched the back of his neck, "About the friend I was meeting..."

"Oh dear God, that's Thor." Taryn whispered, eyes going wide when Thor stood and shook Steve's hand, his blue eyes landing on the two sisters.

"You did not tell me you were bringing two maidens with you, Steve."

"You're going to drool on yourself, there Sis." Paige whispered, it being her turn to snort and giggle as Taryn snapped back to herself, trying to straighten herself out as Thor turned to look at them.

"It is wonderful to meet you, although it comes as a surprise to me." Thor chuckled, holding out his hand and taking Taryn's into his own before kissing her knuckles. Taryn nearly melted into a heap on the floor. "My name is Thor, although you may already know this."

"T-Taryn." She stuttered, letting her arm fall limply to her side as she continued to stare.

"I'm Paige, it's nice to meet you." The younger sister greeted happily, laughing when Thor turned and gestured to the table he had been sitting at moments before.

"Come, sit. Let us all enjoy the goodness that you all call 'ice cream' together!"

Paige had been surprised at how easily conversation had flowed between the four of them. She'd laughed so hard in the last few hours that her cheeks were sore. The mishap of hitting Steve's Harley long forgotten from her mind, she walked wedged between her sister Steve as they made their way around The National Mall. She'd been surprised that more people hadn't stopped him as they made their route, she looked at the baseball cap he'd pulled on, and the glasses that he'd been wearing all afternoon. Hearing her sister and Thor talking happily, she realized that Steve had gone quiet and had stayed that way for the passed little while.

She nudged her shoulder into his arm gently, drawing him out of his thoughts, "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah." He nodded, offering her a smile. "It's just been awhile since I've been out this way, is all."

Paige squinted against the sun and realized that they were coming up to the National World War II memorial. "Oh," She gasped softly and stopped in her tracks, making her sister and Thor, a few paces ahead of Steve and herself, stop and look back at them. "Why don't you two go ahead," She offered, "I think Steve and I are going to skip ahead and look for somewhere to take a break."

Taryn tilted her head for a moment, but quickly understood what her Sister was trying to do. Taking Thor's arm before he could question them, she led him further down the path and allowed Paige and Steve to move ahead. Paige silently thanked the Heavens for their sisterly connection and smiled softly at Steve,

"C'mon, we'll find a nice place to take a moment and rest while we wait for them."

"You didn't have to do that, you know." Steve murmured gently as they continued on, "You don't have to miss out on anything because of me."

"And you didn't have to graciously accept ice cream in turn for me knocking over your bike, either, Steve." She returned, giving him a knowing glance. "It's alright. I don't mind at all."

"Thank you." He whispered, reaching out and pulling her into his side for a moment, tucking her against his shoulder before gently releasing her. She didn't say anything, but smiled up at him. They reached an area that was less busy than other parts of the Mall, and Paige plopped down onto the grass, hearing Steve chuckle as he lowered himself down next to her.

"I'm probably going to have to help you up aren't I, Old Man?"

Steve laughed, stretching his arms out behind him and letting his weight rest on them as he did. He gave Paige a glance that could be called nothing other than stink eye, and clucked his tongue against his teeth. Shaking his head, he replied with, "And here I thought you were a nice person."

Paige giggled, letting her eyes close as she titled her face more towards the sun that was shining. Glad that the weather had cooperated with them so far. Looking back towards Steve when she heard him sigh, she raised an eyebrow and waited for him to speak.

"Today has been nice," He explained, "It's been nice to just kind of be like any other person." He rolled his head on his shoulders and met her gaze, "So, I'm kind of glad you happened to back into my bike."

"Stop reminding me." Paige laughed, shaking her head as she smiled over at the Captain, happy to see him smiling, and not frowning like he had been a few minutes ago. "But today has been nice, you're right. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would ever met you."

Steve grinned at her then, his blue eyes dancing as he murmured, "Yeah. Well accidents happen, Doll."

"That they do...and I think I'm going to classify this as a happy accident." Paige murmured back, feeling heat rise in her cheeks as Steve continued to grin at her. She looked over her shoulder as Thor's booming voice called out to them, a wide smile on his bearded face as Taryn laughed at him waving his arms around, trying to get the attention of the Captain and her Sister.

"Happy accident, I like that." Steve told her, climbing to his feet and offering her a hand up as well. Ignoring Taryn's knowing look as Steve's hand lingered with hers longer than it should have. Paige just laughed as Thor raved on about Taryn telling him about these delicious things called 'elephant ears' and why he had never been introduced to them before. Demanding to try them, the four of them set out on a new adventure, Paige and Steve walking just a bit closer than they had been before, with smiles on their faces. Happy. Content with the world just as it was in the moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, the first part stems from a dream I had, and I just kind of went with it. Nothing spectacular, but definitely something that I enjoyed writing, and I hope you enjoy reading! (I've never attempted to characterize Thor before, so please excuse my poor representation of him. I tried!)