Status: HIATUS

Left for Dead

Surprise, Surprise.

Days went by and sleepless nights seemed to go on longer than expected. Trying to get over Ellis' death was a lot harder than I ever expected. Death is always hard to get over but when you're in a world where 90% of the population is dead... well, zombies... you learn to appreciate the people who aren't dead.

"Hurry let's go now before anyone wakes up" Sasha whispered as she tiptoed to the front door with me following right behind her.

"This is a really dumb fucking idea." I said quietly as I shut the door carefully behind me slowly.

"Quit being a Debby Downer. I've only lived here my whole life I know there's a little store just near here. Trust me, I'd know." Sasha reassured as I followed her to the maze of tall crops of whatever the fuck they were.

"I mean, with our no guns and all.. this is just a super fantastic idea. Fuckin' phenomenal." I stated sarcastically as we made our way into the crops.

A male zombie jumped out as Sasha pushed some crops out of her way. She jumped back as he bared his teeth and growled at her. She swung her axe and clear cut the zombies head right off. A disgusted look came across my face as I walked by the zombie's corpse and its severed head rolling past my feet. I shivered but not from fear. It was like fear had finally officially left the building for me. I knew what was to be expected. This was still a shitty plan though.

"We'll be fine..." Sasha started as she flicked her axe trying to get rid of excess blood.

"Just don't let go of that katana" She said pushing through crops.

I tightened my grip on my katana sword as we continued to make our way through the maze of crops taller than us. The moans and groans of the undead became clear. Sasha came to a halt as she slowly opened the last bit of crops that stood against the edge of the highway. I looked over her shoulder to see only a few walking dead, thankfully.

"There's a hunter..." Sasha whispered putting her arm out in front of me stopping me from stepping out on the road. I looked around nervously, spotting the store up the road that Sasha had been talking about. Sure as shit though, there was a hunter crouched over, eating the intestines out of a dead but not zombie, corpse. I gulped and took a step back. No way.

"We'll just have to sneak past him..." Sasha whispered as she stepped out onto the highway. She reached for my wrist and tried to pull me out of the crops. I shook my head and remained stoned to where I was standing.

I stared at Sasha and began to laugh under my breathe, no emotion on my face though. "I know you didn't say that to me bitch, I .. I swear". I said with my eyes wide.

Sasha rolled her eyes and grabbed my wrist again, using all her strength to pull me out of the crops. I tripped as she did so and tumbled onto her, crashing on the ground. She glared at me before pushing me off her. I stood up as she did and both of us worried that we alerted the hunter, stared wide eyed. Luckily, we didn't.

"Mmm mmm... nope. Nope. I'm not dying just because you decided to go fucking grocery shopping in the middle of a zombie apocalypse!" I whispered in a harsh tone.

"Come on you big baby. We'll be fine" She reassured. Me being a stupid asshole, I followed her instead of running my ass back through that crop field like someone just shot me in the ass.

"I can't even begin to fathom how you think this was a good idea... in anyway!" I exclaimed in a whisper.

Surprisingly we made our way up the road without alerting any of the zombies or the hunter. I slowly opened the glass door to the store, quickly reaching up and grabbing the bell before it could alert zombies and more than likely the hunter. I held the door and the bell as Sasha briskly walked past me and straight down the isle she needed to. She was right, she defiantly knew this place as it didn't take her long to grab what she needed and walk back to me.

"A pregnancy test?!" I questioned as my jaw dropped.

"Results in just 90 seconds." Sasha read on the back of the box, ignoring me.

She opened the door to the small public bathroom that was beside the counter. Sasha unzipped her jeans and sat down on the toilet. She kept the door wide open as she pulled the test out of the box, sticking the stick in between her legs she began to pee. I sighed as I shook my head, leaning against the cash register. I noticed two packs of smokes.

"It's important that I know." Sasha said coming out of the bathroom, placing the test on the counter.

"Well no shit!" I exclaimed. "It's a fucking zombie apocalypse. You might as well grab one of these!" I said standing up and walking over to the shelf, grabbing a pack of condoms and handing them to her. Sasha smirked, grabbing the box of condoms.

Sasha sighed in relief as she bent over the counter and held up the test, squinting her eyes trying to read the results. She handed me the test. I too squinted my eyes as I read the results, sighing as I threw the test over the counter onto the already dirty and garbage filled floor. Negative.

"Thank God." Sasha said as she grabbed a cigarette from one of the packs.

"No kidding." I replied dully.

"Can you imagine?" She asked as she exhaled.

"No Sasha, I can't imagine bringing an innocent child into a world that we're not even sure of yet." I replied shaking my head in disbelief.

Sasha ignored my comment as she got up and walked over to the glass windows. She lightly pressed herself against the window looking around at our surroundings. She stood back and exhaled from her smoke, as she watched smoke surround her complexion in the mirror.

"They're gone." She said as she still stared at herself.

I stopped dead in my tracks as I lit my cigarette. I inhaled deeply, an earry feeling taking over me as I wondered where the few walkers and hunter had went in a short amount of time. I picked up the two packs of cigarettes and walked over to Sasha. I too stared at my complexion.

"We look strangly alike..." She said. I stared at our reflection in the glass/mirror.

"Let's go while it's still clear." I said ignoring her comment.

As we made our way back through the crops, Sasha and I talked about our lives before the green flu happened. We had a lot of similar interests: food, music, clothing...etc. Smoking cigarettes and laughing about the time I punched the zombie in the face. Talking about Nick and stuff about Nick in the bedroom that I could have been just fine in life without knowing. Overall this was a bonding experience for Sasha and I. I hadn't laughed like I just laughed with her since before Ellis' death.

"I'm really sorry about Ellis..." Sasha started as we exited the crops, the farm house now in view. "I could tell you loved him." She added.

"Me too..." I said as I stopped and stared down at the grass.

"I really liked him... he just brought so much joy and laughter to this group especially when we needed it the most." She went on as a lump in my throat formed.

Sasha wrapped her arms around me as she pulled me into a hug. Oh no. Water works. Warm tears egan to run out of the corners of my eyes and down my cheeks. Sasha rubbed my back as I whimpered into her shoulder. The sound of the front door opening instantly stopped my tears. Sasha and I pulled away from each other and watched as an angry Nick, Rochelle and Coach came out without any weapons on them.

"What the hell?! Where were you guys?! Why did you guys just leave like that?!" Nick fired questions as he jogged over to us, pulling us both into a hug. Woah.. Nick was being nice to me?!

"You guys could have been killed. What the hell were you thinking?" Rochelle asked glaring at me. I rolled my eyes, she worried about us way to much. But she was right. However I wasn't about to let the cat out of the bag about Sasha's pregnancy scare so I just nodded me head and agreed with the lecture that Rochelle was now giving us both.

"Hunter..." Coach said slowly as Nick released us and Rochelle instantly shut up.

Coach watched carefully as he stood in front of us, protecting us. Sure as shit, the exact same hunter from near the store was now crawling towards us, growling. I became tense as I watched the hunter and then watched Coach. Coach slowly looked at us over his shoulder and nodded. We were smart enough to know that it meant that once he gave the signal we were to all run as fast as we could towards the house. That really was our only chance as our only weapons were a katana and an axe and there was no way we were going to take this hunter down mid air with either one.

"Run!" Coach roared.

We all turned around immediatly and began to haul ass towards the house. I looked back over my shoulder to see the hunter pounce up into the air and was just about to tackle coach when suddenly the sound of a sniper rifle echoed and shot the hunter twice. The hunter limply fell dead on the grass, blood slightly splattering against our legs. Coach gasped and fell to his knees, shocked that he wasn't being ripped apart by the hunter. We all stopped and everyone except me, turned around to face the direction where the gun shots had come from.

I stared at Rochelle who was squinting from the sunrise. Watching as her facial expression went from confused to a huge goofy smile. I raised an eyebrow as I slowly turned around to see what she and the rest of my companions were smiling and staring at.

"I'll be damned..." Coach whispered as he stood up.

As I turned around my jaw dropped from shock as I dropped my katana sword to the ground.
♠ ♠ ♠
a little cliffhanger for yall there!
and a huge shout out to all my faithful readers. I love seeing that you guys are enjoying the story and love the feedback/comments. You guys are awesome :) and I'm glad you're baring with me as I'm trying to get this story going.