Status: HIATUS

Left for Dead

The store

"You ready for this?" Nick asked looking back at me before kicking open the already half opened door to the safe room.

It was like my world suddenly became a movie scene. A movie scene where everything turned into slow motion. Zombies ran toward us as everyone, except myself, shot at them. Even though I was running with the group everything felt slow.

"Jockey's around!" Rochelle yelled causing me to awaken the strange faze I was in. Just like that, reality set in. This was really happening. Wait.. a what? What the fuck is a Jockey?

"Jockey's on Coach!" Ellis yelled directing every ones attention at this little creepy thing on top of Coach's shoulders. Coach was screaming in fear. I'm starting to get the concept of these names for all the special infected. By special infected, I mean the ones who aren't just going to kill you. They're going to kill you in style. For example; The hunter. The hunter is always in a hoodie, the hunter makes a growling sound before he pounces. The hunter has long nails and will rip you to shreds, literally.

Then we have the witch... The witch is your typical upset, crying from devastation zombie girl. Much like a cougar, the witch lures her prey by crying, making you obviously want to approach her to see whats wrong. Sneaky right? You can tell she's around by listening for her bawling. Do not startle the witch as she will quite literally fuck you up. Luckily for me, I haven't encountered one of these bitches... yet. I'm going off of what Coach and Rochelle explained to me last night in the safe room. Again, lucky for me. Others, not so much. She will, I repeat, will beat on you as a hoard of zombies eats you. Which is even worse than zombies eating you alone. You get the picture.

The boomer: I've actually encountered this one. It's your typical obese, man or woman. Harmless right? wrong. This special infected you can hear a mile away with all it's burping and gagging noises. You hear that, you run. 28 days ago this thing could only order at a drive through and bitch when the order was wrong. Now this infected species can vomit some sort of green stomach acid all over you. Luckily for you and I, this is simply harmless vomit.. Except for the fact it lures zombies and I don't need to explain what having that shit on you can do when a hoard of raging zombies is after you.

The smoker: In this zombie's human life it sat around in a bean bag chair, playing video games and smoking marijuana. The only real problem it ever had was when the Doritos and mountain dew ran out. How it became a zombie you ask? Well it played too many Zombie shooter games on xbox, read on social media that the unknown infection spreading the country was causing people to become "zombies" they suddenly thought they were Bruce Willis in fucking die hard and went out and tried to "slay" some zombies. Anyway, you will hear it cough and weaze.. run. It's tounge is deformed and somehow becomes a lasso and lunges around you, dragging you to the nearest wall, constricting you as yet again, a hoard of zombies kill you.

The spitter: Much like the boomer, except spits and this acid.. is basically caustic acid. So that's instantly bad news.

There's more apparently but I'm still trying to decide if this is all a bad dream or if this is actually happening.

"Get this son of a bitch off of me!" Coach yelled before Nick put a bullet directly into the creepy things head.

"What the fuck was that thing?" I asked surprised.

"A jockey. Typical inbred freaky fucking thing" Nick explained briefly.

"Fair enough" I replied with a sigh.

"You're really going to stick with that fucking sword?" Coach asked as he rubbed his shoulders. I shrugged. It did the job. If I had to describe how I was via movie.. I'd defiantly be Jesse Eisenburg from the movie "Zombieland" useless and afraid but somehow still managed to stay alive all this time.

"There should be an evac center in the mall" Rochelle said clearing her throat.

"And a swarm of zombies" Ellis added.

"We have no other choice" Coach defended.

"It's overrun" I quietly stated.

"Overrun? how do you know? you just hid in a fucking safe room. How the fuck would you possibly know?!" Nick shouted as he became defensive as if I crushed his dreams.

"Because I was there" I was cut off as Nick got in my face. "There's no fucking way it can be overrun already. You're lying!" Nick shouted. Now, I've taken verbal abuse for six years. I'm not about to take it from some asshole during a fucking apocalypse.

"Nick.." Rochelle soothed.

"Hey calm the fuck down!" Ellis jumped in to my defense.

"I don't think we can trust her. She didn't even bother to shoot a bullet at any of the infected!" He exclaimed in disbelief. I stared down at my feet. He was right. I was useless. I sliced a zombie on the chest though... does that count?

"Look. I'm fucking trying okay?! I was there. I know for a fact it's overrun. You want to know how I know 'Nick'? The only person I had left in life became a fucking delicacy to these fucking zombies at that mall. You happy now? So excuse the fuck out of me for being shook up" I spat in anger causing immediate silence. Even though Zac was an unfaithful, lying, asshole.. I still loved him and he was all I had left in this.

"I'm sorry Amber. I am. I just don't know what the fuck we're suppose to do now" Nick apologized as he placed a hand on my shoulder. I reached into my pocket, pulling out a cigarette pack and a lighter. "Anyone want one?" I asked. Ellis nodded as he sighed, "Shit.. shit shit shit" He spoke softly as he chuckled in disbelief.

"We take Amber's word for it and keep moving" Rochelle decided. "That house up the road.. we get to it, we board the windows up and figure out a plan for tomorrow at dawn. We have no idea where we are we need to gather our thoughts and figure out a plan" Rochelle said sternly. The others agreed.. What more could we do?

We carefully made our way towards the house. I couldn't help but admire Ellis from afar. What was wrong with me? A zombie could jump out at any minute and eat me but I couldn't be bothered. Ellis looked over his shoulder at me and smirked knowing he caught me staring. I blushed deeply and pretended I didn't just get caught staring at him.

"Look out!" Rochelle yelled. I looked behind me, sure as shit a hoard of about 20 undead was running straight toward us. "Run!" Nick shouted above the crowd. We began to run toward the house but to my disadvantage the zombies caused us to split up and of course I was on my own. I ran like Forrest Gump to the nearest empty corner store. I bolted towards the counter, thinking I'd jump and clear the counter, I attempted to do it. It looked easy in the movies.. It really isn't. My shoe hooked the cash register, sending me crashing to the floor. I yelped in pain as I landed on my arm. Four zombies entered the store. I was in pain but I had to attempt to defend myself. I pulled myself up and gasped as the angry mob growled at me. Without hesitation I reached behind me to find that my katana had been lost.

"Fuck" I whimpered as the zombies began to close me in.

"Duck!" Ellis instructed as he charged into the store behind the zombies. Within seconds a zombie lunged at me, slamming me into the wall and down on the floor. I was knocked back so far I could see as Ellis shot the three other zombies in the head. I grunted as I used what little strength I had from lack of eating to hold back the zombie who straddled me, snapping its teeth at me and scratching at my covered arms. Thank god for wearing a hoodie. I winced turning my head away as blood poured out of the zombies mouth onto my chest and neck area. Ellis saw what was happening and ran over to me, shoving the zombie off of me followed by blowing the zombie's head off. Literally blowing its head off. Hence shoving the zombie off of me first, avoiding brains and blood being splattered all over me. I closed my eyes and sighed. That was too close.

"Amber!" Ellis exclaimed as he knelt down beside me. "Are you alright?!"

"I'm not infected! thank you so much!" I yelled thankful that he had came. I wrapped my arms around him giving him the biggest hug I could possibly give. Not caring if I made it awkward, I was hugging him because he saved my life. To my surprise he hugged me back, dropping the now empty shotgun.

"Thank you.." I began to repeat myself but was cut off by Ellis pulling me back behind the counter and covering my mouth. He pulled my back against his chest.

"There's a hunter in here" He whispered in my ear. His grip he had around me tightened slightly as the familiar growling sound got closer. I could feel his heart beat in his chest. He rested his forhead against the back of mine as he sighed in defeat. We were about to die. A few tears managed to escape my eyes, hitting Ellis' hand. The growling got closer and closer.

The hunter jumped out and growled as it leaped towards Ellis and I, bearing its teeth and nails. Midair it's head was blown off. We gasped in shock as Coach stood proudly behind the now dead hunter.

"We took care of the rest. Now lets get to that god damn house before anymore come alright?" Coach said with a smug look on his face. Ellis released his hand from my mouth and started to laugh which caused me to laugh. That was close.

"Out of ammo?" Coach asked Ellis. Ellis nodded as he began to stand up, reaching out and carefully helping me up on my feet.

"At the worst god damn time too" Ellis replied. Coach chuckled as he began to walk towards the door. "Lets go!" He called out behind him. Ellis turned his attention from Coach to me.

"Are you alright?" He asked with a face full of concern. I nodded and took a step forward, slipping on blood from the hunter, causing me to fall backwards and hit my head on the floor. My vision became blurry and I thought for sure I cracked my head open.

Why do these things happen to only me?
♠ ♠ ♠
There's a LOT of swearing, I know. I apologize!
Image