‹ Prequel: Iron Maiden
Sequel: Paradise
Status: in progress

The Bird

Chapter 14

Skye flew through the buildings, searching for her target.

"Incoming, Cap." Tony said as his daughter flew past him. "She's coming for you."

Steve barely had time to register before Skye landed in front of him, a small crater forming where she landed. She straightened up, looking at him with those electric blue eyes.

"Skye-"

He was thrown back by a blast of energy. He skidded along the ground, flipping back to his feet. Okay. New approach.

He threw his shield, but she stopped it halfway, sending it back to him. He ducked as it flew overhead, embedding itself in a piece of building debris lying in the street. He tugged it free, just barely having time to duck behind it as chunks of rock were thrown his way.

"You're gonna have to knock her out, Steve." Natasha said.

"I can't hit a lady!" Steve yelled, ducking and dodging debris being thrown at him. "Skye, I know you're in there." He thought he saw something flash across her face.

He took this moment to run at her, tackling her to the ground. He put his shield to the side, trapping her beneath him. She struggled, but he knew she wasn't fighting him. She could've easily stopped him. She looked up at him with those glowing electric blue eyes, but there was something behind them. Something begging him to help.

So, he did the first thing that came to mind.

He kissed her.

SKYE POV

Warmth. That's the first thing I felt. My eyes opened and I was shocked to say the least.

Steve Rogers was kissing me. Freaking Captain America was kissing me!

I closed my eyes, leaning into his body. I didn't care that he was all sweaty and dirty. I was sharing my first kiss with an American Icon.

He slowly pulled away, his eyes fluttering open. I never noticed how long his eyelashes were. I stared into his blue eyes, a smile forming on my face. An adorable half smile found his face.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi."

I brought my hand to his face, running my thumb over his dirt covered cheek.

"Thank you."

He had opened his mouth to reply when a blast shot over us, barely missing Steve. In a flash he rolled us over, his shield in one hand, the other holding me to his chest as the Chitauri's blasts ricocheted off his Shield.

"I guess I should be thanking you again."

"No need ma'am." I jumped to my feet. "You should get out of here-"

I sent an energy blast around us, sending the Chitauri flying back. Thor landed beside us.

"Lady Stark, good to see you're back."

"Thor, good to see you're still alive."

I stopped the Chitauri's blasts, sending them flying back to their owners.

All was going smoothly until I heard Steve grunt behind me. He was on the ground, shield beside him. Thor sent a car rolling over the Chitauri, turning mad throwing his hammer at another.

Thor helped Steve to his feet, part of his suit charred.

I didn't see the Chitauri until it was almost too late. It had its spear raised, ready to stab Thor in the back.

"No!" I jumped in front of the spear, feeling it rip through my skin, the electric charges scorching muscle.

"No!" Thor yelled, Steve sending the Chitauri flying back into a car.

My legs gave out under me, Thor catching me in his arms, gently lowering me to the ground. His large hand cupped the back of my head, keeping my face turned towards his.

"Lady Stark, you must look at me."

I stared into his blue eyes. His were more crystal blue while Steve's were more sapphire blue.

"Skye is down l, I repeat, Skye is down."

It was quiet for a second before Steve knelt down, holding something to my ear.

"Skye?" My dad's voice crackled in my ear.

"Daddy..." My voice was weak.

"I'm sorry baby. For everything. I'm a horrible father and you deserved better. I love you, Skye."

I looked up to the sky as my dad flew over us towards the portal.

"What are you doing?" My voice broke.

"Tell Pepper I love her."

"Daddy?" There was no response on the other end.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I coughed, tasting metal. The Chitauri that had surrounded us all collapsed.

"Close it." I heard Steve say in the distance.

Everything was becoming fuzzy, sounds blending together.

"Son of a gun." That was Steve.

"He's not slowing down." Thor said from above me.

Coughs racked my body and I gripped the front of Thor's armor as something pooled in my mouth.

The last thing I heard was the Hulk roar in the distance before everything went dark.