‹ Prequel: Iron Maiden
Sequel: Paradise
Status: in progress

The Bird

Chapter 16

I was choking. He had his hand around my throat, holding me in the air.

"You shouldn't have trusted me."

He dropped me to the ground and I coughed, trying to get some air back in my lungs. I looked up to three of him surrounding me.

"What do you want?"

"I'm going to spend eternity imprisoned on Asgard. I need something to play with."

He stalked towards me, grabbing a fistfull of my hair, yanking me to my feet. I took a deep breath before screaming.

I was still screaming when I finally noticed where I was. I grabbed the closest person to me, wrapping my arms around them, sobbing into their shoulder.

"Skye?"

"He was there. I shouldn't have trusted him."

"Who?"

"Loki. He said he was going to help me."

"You were hallucinating, Skye.

"What?" I pulled back.

"You've been awake for ten minutes."

"Where is she? Let me see her!" My dad came busting through the door.

"Skye..." He pulled me into a hug, almost climbing on the bed with me.

"Dad?" I felt something wet on my shoulder. "Why are you crying? Dad, you're not supposed to cry."

"I almost lost you. They told me you might not make it."

"But I'm here now. I'm okay." He squeezed me tighter.

I looked to Steve who was standing in the corner and mouthed "help".

"Okay." He walked over to the bed. "I think she'd like to breathe now."

"Right. Sorry." My dad pulled away, holding me at arms length. "I get a little overwhelmed sometimes."

"More like overwhelming." I yawned, Steve holding in a laugh.

"Get some rest. I'm not going anywhere."

When I woke up, I was alone with Agent Barton.

"Your dad went to get breakfast."

"How long have you been sitting there?"

He looked at his watch. "About 16 hours." He grabbed a piece of paper off the side table. "Steve left this for you."

I opened it to see a drawing of a rose. A smile broke out on my face. He is so sweet.

"Agent Barton, can I-"

"Clint." I gave him a confused look. "Call me Clint."

"Clint, can I...talk to you?"

He put his tablet on the end of my bed, leaning forward, his elbows on his knees. "It's about Loki, isn't it."

"Being under his control...I...the things he showed me..."

"I know. You just have to flush him out. It'll take a while."

"I don't feel like I'll ever get him out completely."

"I could hit you over the head if you want. See if that works." I laughed. "Here." He grabbed the napkin off the food tray beside me, writing something on it. "It's my cell number. Call me if you need to talk or are in trouble."

"Are-are you sure?"

"Hey, you're one of us now. Our baby Avenger. Our little bird."

"Thanks, Clint."

The door opened and Director Fury walked in.

"Miss Stark, good to see you're finally awake."

Agent Barton quickly dismissed himself and Director Fury took his place.

"I have a mission for you."

"For me?"

"A certain Captain is rather behind on history and pop culture. I'm asking you to help catch him up on some things. Teach him the important stuff."

I thought about it a second, looking at the folded piece of paper on the nightstand.

"I'd love to."