Status: This is a short story so it's not broken up into chapters. It's more read like a journal. First person.

The Disney Reality

Is that...you?

After a few minutes, our fun was halted by a faint groan being heard outside our door. We stopped immediately and stared at the closed door, anticipating someone to burst in and kill us. We quickly removed the suits and placed them back in their respective places. As we crept towards the door, the lights in the room shut off and we were drowning in silent darkness. We stood still like mannequins as apprehension surged through our bodies. Suddenly, we heard distinct thumping behind us. It sounded like footsteps….human footsteps. The groan popped up again, this time behind us. We held up our glow sticks, but the lights got dimmer and dimmer until they completely disappeared, leaving us in the pitch black again. I could hear Jamie softly whimpering and heard Lisa’s heavy breathing. We crept towards the exit as the quietness of the dark taunted us. She reached out for the door handle and turned it, but the door never budged. It was locked. Jamie was now the most frightened out of all of us as he began to sob. I went to comfort him as the groaning became louder and creepier. It sounded like someone taking their last breath. The lights, light bulb by light bulb, flashed on until the room was lit, We turned to face behind us and what we saw was quite possibly the scariest thing a child could see. All the mascot heads, attached and not attached to their suits, were staring right at us with sinister smiles and lifeless eyes. Then, as the groaning grew louder, we saw something black dragging its body across the floor from behind a rack. It was a large suit that looked tattered, battered and abandoned. It had two large ears that looked like antennas on top of its round head. It then looked up at us with its white face stained with red. Its black eyes glimmered like glossy coals and its nose was not on its face. It continued heading towards us as we began to fear for our lives. He stopped a few feet in front of us and stood up slowly, revealing the fact that it was well over six feet. Its torso had bits shredded off it and its legs looked broken as it limped towards us. I told it to stay back with my voice breaking on the last word. It stopped and stared at us coldly. Its pre-designed smile made his face extraordinarily creepy since its eyes expressed pain, sorrow, something an inanimate object should not be able to feel. Lisa asked it who it was. It groaned weakly before whispering “Oswald…”
It was him! Oswald the Lucky Rabbit! The one that was replaced by Mickey Mouse. The forgotten one. Strangely, after revealing its identity, I felt sympathy for it. It did not look like it wanted to harm us. If it did, we would have gotten killed while the lights were off. Jamie began crying hysterically as Lisa tried to calm him down. Oswald looked on and continued groaning, I asked him why was he in terrible condition and who hurt him. As he turned his head towards the mascots, an audible crackling sound was produced with each turn, making it sound as though a human was breaking its neck. It was pretty disturbing to hear. He turned his head and looked at a Mickey Mouse mascot that laid on the ground. The suit was an unusual color, not the tradition red, white, black and yellow. Its body was an off white with the trunks being black and its shoes red. Its eyes were pitch black as it stared up at the ceiling. Oswald pointed at it and let out a freakishly human like whimper, as if he were a scared child. Lisa pieced together her own theory on what had occurred.
She said that after Walt Disney had given up the rights to Oswald in order to make Mickey Mouse, everything Oswald did was reincarnated with Mickey. Walt Disney was so fascinated with the character he had created that he begun making other characters similar to him, hence Goofy, Donald, Minnie and the others. Once they were all created, the face of Disney was Mickey Mouse, neglectful of the others and giving more power to Mickey and his influence. Then, once his influence reached children, he became unstoppable, selfish and determined to continue being the face, annihilating those who are either competition or opposers to this ideology. But some questions were still unanswered with her theory. One, why is Mickey attacking us when we have said numerous of times how much we loved him? Two, how is he able to manipulate children, but not Walt Disney into not making any other characters? Three, why is Mickey evil now when he’s been the hero in many cases? Also, how can a cartoon become real? There were lots of questions that I had in my head that I did not vocalize. I did, though, ask Oswald why Mickey was attacking us. With a few moans and groans, he slowly whispered to me “Because you got away.”