‹ Prequel: Full Life Circle
Status: Work In Progress

Dash of Reality

I Like It When He Speaks French

The next few days flew by like a storm. Jon spent a lot of time at the hospital and because I was still having morning sickness, the doctors decided it was best for me to stay away from the hospital. I don’t really understand because it isn’t like I’m really sick. Just an unsettled stomach is all.
We also are planning to have the baby tested in utero for seeing if the baby is a match for Brooklyn. It is an expensive test, but Jon insisted we have it done sooner rather than later. David isn’t a good enough match; he’s very similar to Jon’s profile and so that’s why Jon wants to know about our baby. It won’t change much if the baby is or is not a match; Jon and I are really excited to be parents to our child no matter what. But we are definitely concerned for Brooklyn. Her days in the hospital haven’t really helped her. She is very tired and has very little energy. She is falling apart and there is little we can do about it.
I’m surprised to hear the garage go up as I am sitting in what will be the new baby’s nursery and my old bedroom. Jon was supposed to be with Brooklyn all day at the hospital until Abby could relieve him for a few hours tonight around dinner. It is only three right now and I am definitely not expecting anyone to come in through the garage today.
I head downstairs and hear Jon on the phone before I see him. He must be in the mudroom taking off his jacket and his shoes. I can’t really hear his conversation; all I hear is his voice. I go to the fridge and get a bottle of water before taking a seat at the breakfast bar to wait for him. I hear him getting closer but he stops in the family room before making it to the kitchen, he goes to sit on the couch and apparently hasn’t seen me sitting here. He is still on the phone and because I’m not doing anything, I listen.
“Mom, you don’t have to come down here. Em and I have it all under control. The team got home early and so Kaner came to relieve me for a few hours. Abby will be there after him when she is done with her shift at the hospital. I’ll be home now until about 9 when I’ll go back to stay overnight with Brooklyn. Em will hopefully be able to go and stay with her sometime soon and I’ll get back to hockey. But we all know that Em and Brooklyn are the most important things right now.” There was a lull on this end and so I assume Andre was talking to him about how much she wants to be here for us in this time of need. And how she misses her granddaughter and her son terribly. She has taken me under her wing more as of recently and we haven’t told her yet about our baby. We will tell her after we get the results back from the test to see if the baby is a match for Brooklyn. “Moman, nous vous aimons, mais se il vous plaît rester à la maison avec papa. Emily est malade d'inquiétude et ne peut pas être déjà là, elle n'a pas besoin de se inquiéter plus avec vous de venir ici.” (Translation: Mom, we love you but please stay at home with dad. Emily is sick with worry and can't be there already, she doesn't need to be worried more with you coming here.)
I always hate when they switch, almost automatically, from English to French. They almost never realize that they are doing it and it is so simple for them. I, on the other hand, took Spanish throughout high school and a couple of courses in college. Pretty soon he is hanging up with his mom and he sits on the couch for a minute before calling out for me.
“I’m here.” I respond and he stands to see me sitting at the breakfast bar. I told Izzy to not come in today. Either I was cooking or we would order in for dinner tonight, but she needed to have a day off. I know she hasn’t had to worry about that many of us with Brooklyn in the hospital, but she has taken on more of a housekeeper role these last few days and it has been great but also way above her job description.
“Oh, did you hear me talking to Mom?” I nod as he walks over to me. He looks exhausted and like he hasn’t seen a good night’s sleep in almost a week, which he hasn’t. I feel horrible that I can’t go to stay the night with Brooklyn, but it is doctors’ orders. I wish it wasn’t because I haven’t seen Brooklyn in that entire time and it has driven me up a wall. I don’t know what I am supposed to do with my time when she isn’t here. I mean, I spend a good amount of time not feeling well because morning sickness isn’t just in the morning.
“Of course I did, and did you realize that you switched to French halfway through your conversation on the couch? You and your mother always seem to do it at one point or another. I wish I heard you speak it more so I could learn some more than I love you, je t’aime.” He smiles and leans in for a kiss.
“Je t’aime toi ma fille. That means I love you too, my girl.”

Jon and I had just sat down for dinner when his phone rings. Usually, before Brooklyn went into the hospital, he would let it ring and look at it after dinner. However, the situation has changed a lot and he goes to answer it immediately. He shows me the screen and it says that it is Brooklyn’s doctor. He answers it on speaker.
“Hello Doctor Woodbury. I’m sitting here with Emily.”
“Hello Jonathan and Emily. I have some fantastic news that you both will be very happy to hear. We have found a bone marrow donor for Brooklyn and they have already made the donation. We have put the request in for the transfer of the donation to Chicago because the donation was made in California somewhere. My team has also made sure to make note of the donor so that if we ever need another donation for Brooklyn, we can call and request it as long as they have cleared it in their files. As soon as we get the donation, we would like to go through with the transfusion. I imagine it would arrive sometime late tomorrow and I think it would be great if you both could be there. I know Brooklyn has really missed Emily and being there for an uncomfortable transfusion will hopefully be better with her mom-figure there. I think that we can arrange for the transfusion to happen in an out-patient room which will put less risk on patients in the hospital for Emily’s visit. I will be in touch in the morning about a time and location. We should be able to get Brooklyn into the out-patient room before lunch so that Emily can come and spend time with Brooklyn and then be there for the transfusion as well. I’ll see you both tomorrow, have a great night.” We were smiling like fools and when we hung up, I squealed a little before launching myself into his arms. I kiss him and it lasts longer when Jon pulls me closer to him.
“She’s going to be okay! God I hope this helps make her okay! This is such great news!” I tell him before planting another kiss on his lips.
“This is going to make her better. Now, let’s celebrate with a delicious dinner you wonderfully ordered in and then move upstairs, shall we?” he tried to wiggle his eyebrows seductively and it just made me laugh. I was still sitting on his lap at this point and so he pinched me and I reluctantly stood up.
“You, Mr. Toews, are a real seducer. But yes, let’s eat and have a private celebration upstairs.” I kissed him once more and sat next to him at the table. We ate some good Greek food from a restaurant just down the road because it wasn’t something we had often with Izzy cooking for us all the time. Then we moved upstairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
There will be some adult fun in the next chapter, just a warning. Should have it up in the next two days or so, before the end of Saturday for sure.