The Boy With the Skull and Crossbones Tattoo

Presentable Liberty

Waking up, Alex found himself in the cells of the testing lab. He was one of the caught ones, one of the immune of the virus. No, not some dumb zombie virus, but a virus-virus, a virus that kills people, it's already killed so many people. Alex could make a list of how many people it's killed. If he had to, he'd start with Matt, the first person he cared about who died. Then Rian and Cassadee who went down together, Alex remembers the note left for him when he found their bodies. Evan, Danny, Matthew, they all died after they took the antidote, their hearts shutting down. His parents, the lights that flashed as the drove to their house, the Chemical suits, the flashes of the memories of that never stopped. It drove him crazy, the memory of sirens and hospital rooms, of watching everyone die around him while he just watches.
Alex practically let himself be captured, because if he had to live, he was going to make some use of it. The cell was dark, but he could see outside of it. The others sleeping in their beds, peacefully, but one sat at his bars, scratching at them to make the metallic noise that echoed through the hallway. He looked about Alex's age, with black and blonde, messy hair. His brown, dull eyes looked up and lit up at the sight of Alex. "Hey." His voice echoed. "You're the new guy."
"Yeah... I-I guess..." Alex sat down in front of his bars like the other was doing. "My name's Alex."
"Hey, Alex, I'm Jack. Or, they call me Routy, 'The rambunctious one' or White Stripe. You can call me Jack, though." He reached his hands out of the cell bars, in a horrible attempt to shake hands with Alex. Alex did the same thing, amused at the boys attempts. "I like your tattoo." He smiled as Alex pulled his arm back in, sure that he had pulled something. He looked at the old rose tattoo, he'd forgotten about it. "I've got one too!" Alex looked from his tattoo, his attention back to Jack who had taken his shirt off to show a Jack Skellington tattoo on his chest. "Pretty cool huh?"
"Yeah. It is."
"You don't talk much, Alex. That's a good thing around here." Alex took note of all of the scars that lashed around Jack's torso, figuring that it must have been good to be quiet around here. "You might even get lunch."
Alex nodded before the guards came around, banging on the bars with their black metal sticks. They unlocked the doors and one pulled Alex up, and they placed cuffs on his wrists and ankles. Jack hurried over to him before the guards could 'personally escort' him to the labs. Alex realized as he walked among the lab rats, he wasn't at a testing facility, he was at a prison that just so happened to test people.
---
Michael sighed, placing down another cake to rot on the window seal. The people outside looked awful as they walked along. Some fell and died right there on the streets, as they were lined with the dead, the rotting. Some people even took out the organs in the rotting bodies. Others dragged them along to feed their families. Michael couldn't tell how many times he'd seen the scene of the lab rat capturing, but yesterdays stood out from the others he'd seen. Usually, they struggle, they fight against the guards, but the boy he saw yesterday tripped and practically laid there, unmoving and still even as the guards took him away. Michael only took notice of one thing, the skull and crossbones behind his ear.
So, as Michael danced along to the old stereo, he wrote.

To the boy with the skull & crossbones tattoo,
Hello, my name is Michael. I work at the Bakery on the second floor of the library. From my front view of the town, I see everything. I saw you, being dragged away without a care in the world yesterday.
Why would you do that? Just let them take you?
I've heard horrible things about that place.
-M.C

With an old envelope, He sealed it and slid it into the mailbox before coming back inside to the library. The empty, empty library.
---
Alex read over the the note again and again before the guards came with paper and a pencil. Someone had noticed. Alex, while thinking, tapped his penil against the desk in his cell. He would start a sentence, then quickly erase it, shaking his head. By the time the guards were coming back around for the mail, Alex was scribbling something in, handing it to the guard with the pencil.

Dear Michael.
Hi, my name's Alex. I think I've seen you before. I'm not sure, but I don't know why. I don't know anything anymore, Michael. I want to be of use while I'm alive. I figure this is the best way to go. Why do you take interest in me?
What you've heard is probably true.
-The boy with the skull & crossbones tattoo.
---
Michael went out for the week to see several slips of paper in the mail, running back in, he went through all, until he saw a skull and crossbones doodled on the back of the paper and read over the letter that was given to him. Alex, huh? His story was sad, if he wanted to make use of his life, he should come up with a less lethal cure. Michael paced back and forth in his bakery, thinking of what he could send the lab rat. He looked at the cakes staked up on the glass and took a slice of Banoffee pie, decorating it carefully and putting it in one of the bakery's old delivery boxes with a spoon.
With the box, he wrote the letter.

To the boy with the skull & crossbones tattoo,
I think I've seen you before too. I hope you like Banoffee pie, I made it a day or two ago so I hope you enjoy it. Recently the pies and cakes have been going to waste with no one here to eat it. I hope that some day you can share one with me. I don't know why I take an interest in you, you just seem interesting to me.
If what I've heard is true, I wish you the best of luck.
-M.C
---
Alex waited for the next letter impatiently, making Jack worry as he scraped his bars to make the metallic sound. He does that often, it used to annoy Alex the way it consisted, but after a while he didn't mind much. Jack interrupted the bouncing of his leg. "Alex, dude, what are you waiting for? The letter? Who even sends you that stuff?"
"This- this guy, who worked at the bakery. His name is Michael, and he's just- he's interesting." Alex's old stutter that he had as a teenager came back after a few tests, and it didn't really matter, though, Alex felt great! Absolutely amazing. Jack, however, worried. He knew it was just the beginning effects of the drugs Alex was basically getting fed, and his body adjusting, but still. Alex was being jittery as fuck, his foot bouncing at the speed of light.
The door opened and a box slid in, with paper attached. Alex read over it, the chicken scratch catching his interest for the next ten minutes. He took out the pie and smiled, placing it ont the desk and discarding the pat conversation with Jack to start writing a letter to Michael.

Dear Michael,
I haven't tried the pie yet, but I'm sure it's great! I'm sure that we'll get a better antidote soon so of course we can go eat some cake/pie/cookies/cupcakes together one day! Don't get sick until then, okay? By the way, the box you sent in was very pretty! I like the lace design! I bet you're as pretty, if not even more pretty.
The prison is horrible, but they gave me some sort of medicine and now it's just a lot better! Maybe I can give you that stuff too, Michael. You seem like you would need it.
-The Boy With the Skull and Crossbones tattoo.

Alex ran up the the cell bars and jumped up and down, waiting for the guards to come get the pen and paper where he had scribbled words and doodles. A guard came over and grabbed the the paper, rolling his eyes at the boy. As he walked down the hall he muttered "I can't wait until he crashes."
---
Michael worried as he read Alex's new note. They were serving him drugs? Of course, how else were they supposed to find a cure? He noticed the supreme lack of people in the streets, the lack of people, in general. Most of the houses had been boarded up and the streets were cleaned by the people in Hazard suits and burning them. It smelt like shit, and Michael was being kept up on Tea and pastries, He really did hope that the cure came around soon. He leaned against the glass, crying as he wrote the next letter to Alex.

To the boy with the skull and crossbones tattoo,
I promise, Alex. I'll wait for you, I won't go out. I won't get sick. I'll stay here in the bakery and wait for you with a cup of tea. You get better, you get so much better, Alex. I'm worried for you. I'm worried for everyone. Alex, please, just come see me as soon as possible. The world, it's so barren. Such a wasteland anymore, I want you to be here with me, Alex. I want to be with you.
-M.C

Michael placed the letter in the mailbox and hurried back inside, covering his mouth with his shirt.
---
Alex had crashed before the next letter was given to him, He read over it with a solemn look on his face. He wanted to be with Michael too, and to think that the bakery was so close, but so far away. Alex stood up on his bed, looking at the peephole, seeing the fire lit bakery from his window. The doors opened when he was looking and he spun around, struggling as the guards tried to take him away from the window. "No!" Alex yelled. "No! No! Let me out! I want to see Michael!" He screeched, he cried and he thrashed about. Before he could get a beating, Jack stopped him, helping him to the labs. "I just... I want to see Michael."
Jack twisted around to hug Alex. "I know, I know."
"Do you think- do you think they'll let me write back?"
"They have to." Jack said. "That's the one thing that they promised."
Alex nodded, wiping up his tears.
-
Upon coming back in, he was rewarded the paper and pen he desired all day. He started to write to Michael.

Dear Michael,
Don't do anything Michael. Please. I'm here. I'm still here, I'll come see you. I promise, I will come see you. Don't do anything and stay right there. I'm alive. I. Am. Alive. I'll come eat that cake with you, I'll come and have tea and we can live together, with my friend. Jack. You, me, and Jack. I promise. I swear to you, I will come see you. I will come have the cake with you.
-The Boy With the Skull and Crossbones Tattoo.

Alex gave the guards the note and right in front of his face, they ripped it up. Alex wailed out. "No!" Jack's face dropped as Alex's knees hit the floor. "No! You can't...."
"Doctor Money is prohibiting all letters going outside of the building." The guard snarled.
"You can't do that!" Jack yelled. "You guys promised that when we submit we'd get contact with our loved ones!"
"Not anymore, White Stripe. Doctor Money said no, that it's too dangerous."
"Fuck Doctor Money! Fuck all of this! You see Alex?!" Jack yelled. "He's got someone out there who's genuinely concerned about his well being and you're just going to sit on your fat ass and obey the man who did this?!"
"Barakat! Watch your mouth!" The guard snapped.
"No. Fuck You!"
"Beat him." The guard said into his radio. The other guards came quickly and dragged Jack away, flicking off the guard who sent them. That guard looked at Alex. "Got anything to say, Gaskarth?"
Alex gave a choked sob and shook his head, collapsing into a fit of tears. He didn't sleep that night, he watched the fire lit bakery from his window.
----

To The Boy with the Skull and Crossbones tattoo,
Alex, it's been three weeks. Where are you? I worry. Are you alive? I heard some screaming in the prison last night, but that couldn't be you, could it? Did they kill you? Hurt you?
Please, be alive, Alex. Please, send back.
-M.C

To The Boy With The Skull and Crossbones tattoo,
Please.
Alex. Send back. Please, be alive. They would notify me if you weren't, right? The streets are so lonely and all I have is the stereo to keep me company. Maybe, I should come over and play some music for you, or, at least for the rest. Please, be alive. Please, send back.
-M.C

To The Boy With The Skull and Crossbones tattoo,
I'm going to come over tomorrow morning. I hope you like Fall Out Boy.
Please, be alive Alex.
Send me back.
-M.C

He heard it, he heard the song from his cell. The Kids Aren't Alright, Fall Out Boy. Alex watched him from the cell, he was beautiful. Blonde, shaggy hair and pale skin. His apron still wrapped around his body and the music making Alex so incredibly happy to see the boy for once. Jack watched as Alex watched, as he cried when the music stopped. Alex banged on the window. "Michael! Michael! I'm alive! Michael! I'm alive." The banging ceased as the boy walked away. "I'm- I'm alive..."
---
"I'm going to break the generator." Jack had said. "When they drag me away, I'll break it." Jack pulled out a shiv he'd made, winking, he pretended to let it slip out of his hands. It was immediate, the guards caught him and started to drag him, while they were doing that, a letter was handed to Alex.
Alex. I love you.
I'm so alone.
I'm so sorry.
So, so, sorry.
-M.C
Alex started to cry, his head chanting Jack, Jack, c'mon, Jack. Then it happened, and Alex was one of the first to make a run for it, down the stairs. He ran out, just barely missing the tranquilizer darts. He opened the library doors, running up the stairs to the bakery. A cake was laid out on the glass case. A letter was set up next to it, but before he could read it, he heard a small voice. "Alex?" Alex rushed over to the bloody wrists Michael. It was only one or two slits, he could be fixed. Alex held the boy in his arms.
"Michael, c'mon. Michael hold on." Alex tore off the rims of his cheap prison garbs and covered the wrists. Michael looked at Alex, green eyes searched Alex's brown ones. Alex leaned down and kissed him. "See? I wouldn't break my promises. I didn't break my promise."
"Alex..." Michael coughed. "Alex, I... I got infected."
"No. No. No. You didn't. You can't. I just came here. We haven't had the cake yet. C'mon, get up." Alex helped Michael up and to the table. "I won't break my promise."
"But I broke-"
"No, no you didn't. You're not sick." Alex took the cake over to the boy and sat beside him with two forks. "You're not infected."
Michael smiled, hand reaching over to the fork, shakily grabbing it and getting a bite out of the cake. Alex smiled too and followed the action. As Michael went to take another bite, he started to cough and hack. Alex pulled him close, kissing his head, over and over and over. Trying to comfort him. The blood stain ran on his lips and Alex wiped it off, taking a fork full of the chilled cake and feeding it to Michael, whom was still sat on his lap. "You're going to be okay. It's all going to be fine."
"I love you, Alex."
"Don't- don't say it like that! You're not going to die." He kissed Michael. "I love you too."
"Dacquoise." Michael managed out. "The cake, it's a Dacquoise cake."
"It's delicious." Alex nodded, tears in his eyes.
"Thank you, Alex." Michael leaned his head against the elder's shoulder. "Thank you for being here."
"You- you're welcome, Michael."
Michael went into another fit of coughs, and Alex held him tightly, waiting for it to calm. When it did, Michael looked even worse than he did before. Alex kissed him again. They needed to make up for lost time, and the time that they're loosing now. "I love you, Michael. I love you so fucking much. Don't leave me."
"I love you too, Alex." Michael's eyelids went heavy and Alex picked him up. "I love you so much. I'm not leaving you."Alex went to the backroom and placed Michael down, laying next to him. "I would never leave you."
"And I wouldn't leave you." Alex whispered. "I promise. I won't."
"And you don't break your promises." Michael coughed.
Alex nodded, confirming. "And I don't break my promises."
So, he didn't, even as Michael was sleeping, Alex wouldn't leave his side until the body went cold and Alex kissed it one last time, earning his last 'I love you' from Michael and saying his last to the boy. He covered the body with the comforter and sat at the booth of the bakery. Eating the Dacquoise cake, bit by bit.
Jack never came to the bakery and Alex could only assume the worst. Alex watched, one by one, the prison lights went out, and Alex waited for the last one to go out before he started to read the note, the note left next to the cake. It had a bit of blood on it, and it was worn and wrinkled. Inside, the ink was still clear, though a bit faded.

To The Boy With the Skull and Crossbones tattoo,
I love you, I truly love you and your words, though I got so few.
I'm sorry that, if you may find this note, I left you alone. I am selfish, though, and I couldn't handle being alone myself. I am facing my one worst fear; dying alone. Just on the off chance that I may get to speak to you again.
I watched everyone die, Alex. Everyone die and pile up, then burn. I could not be happier that you were spared that, Alex.
I love you, you and your little skull and crossbones tattoo, and I am so very invested in you.
Goodbye.
-M.C
♠ ♠ ♠
This was actually kind of hard to write. :/