Carry On

Fights and Flights

"I'm going!"

"Over my dead body!" Frankie watched silently from the bar as a chair was sent toppling to the floor. It was nothing unusual, Jo had found a case and was determined to go work it herself which, of course, Ellen objected to. Frankie had only dared open her mouth once to volunteer to go with Jo, but Ellen wasn't having that either, so she'd decided to just watch the scene play out as she sliced another piece from her apple with her hunting knife.

"You're flipping out over nothing!" Frankie flinched as a few glasses went crashing to the floor. This had been so far the most destructive fight she'd seen, even with Ellen running around picking things up after herself and Jo. Of course, it had been a few years since Frankie had actually been home for one of the annual Ellen vs Jo fights.

"I am your mother, I don't have to be reasonable!"

"You can't keep me here!" The front door opened and in walked Sam and Dean, looking for the source of all the commotion. Ellen forcefully grabbed a chair that had been turned over and slammed it back on its legs before heading down towards the bar.

"Oh, don't you bet on that sweetie!" It seemed that neither of the two had even noticed the boys walk in. Frankie gave them a smile from behind another apple slice, giving them a friendly wave as if WWIII wasn't currently breaking out in front of them. "Hey, you don't wanna stay don't--go back to school!"

"I didn't belong there, I was a freak with a knife collection!" Frankie looked from the boys down to her knife before awkwardly sliding it back into its sheath at her hip.

"Yeah, but getting yourself killed on some dusty back road--that's where you belong?" Frankie was a little offended by Ellen's final statement, but thought it better not to object. It was, after all, the hazards of the job and even she could admit she didn't want that for Jo.

It was then that Jo and Ellen finally acknowledged the boys' presence. Ellen turned around, giving the boys a look of disbelief.

"Guys, bad time." There was still a bite in her tone and Frankie gave the boys a shrug that seemed to say, 'welcome to my life'.

Sam shot Frankie a look before responding defensively, "yes, ma'am." She couldn't help but to find it amusing, you'd think they would have been used to such a scene with John as their father--John wasn't exactly the easiest to get along with, but seeing a mother daughter argument must have been a change from what they were used to.

"I'll show 'em out." Frankie stated, tossing her apple core into the trashcan behind the bar before hopping down from the counter top. She'd barely wiped her hands off on the back of her jeans and motioned the boys back towards the door when Jo stopped them.

"Wait." She called before heading back behind the bar. "I wanna know what they think of this."

"I don't care what they think!" Ellen retorted, starting after Jo. Frankie gave the boys a tight smile and mouthed sorry as her back was still towards the other two women.

"I've got to uh," Frankie turned to Ellen and Jo. "I've got a thing--outside." It was a lie, but she didn't want to stick around if they were beginning to pull people onto sides. Poor Sam and Dean were about to get ripped down the middle.

Just as she'd reached the door, Sam grabbed hold of Frankie's arm, giving her a pleading look not to leave them alone with Jo and Ellen. Pulling out of his grip, Frankie gave them an apologetic shrug before hurrying outside.

"Hey! Are you guys open?" Just outside, Frankie was greeted by a family of tourists, all dressed in matching yellow Nebraska state shirts. They had with them a pair of twins that couldn't have been older than four and the woman looked like she was about to pop. The poor saps had definitely showed up at a bad time. Frankie held out a hand to stop them.

"We're actually closed, sorry." The couple seemed disappointed at the news and once again, Frankie was saving people that had no idea they even needed saving. "But there's an Arby's, a couple miles down the road." Frankie gave the little ones a smile as their parents' faces seemed to brighten at the news.

"Thank you." The dad said as they turned to pile back into their mini van.

Frankie watched the family as they climbed back into their vehicle, strapping the kids into their car seats. She accepted her life for what it was. The circumstances that had pulled her into the hunter life were unfortunate, tragic even, and though a part of her was thankful for it she couldn't help remembering what her life was before. She was aware of what kind of evil was out there in the world and she knew how to stop it, but she remembered being a sixteen year old cheerleader, crushing on her high school quarterback. There was a time when she wanted nothing more than to be like that little tourist family and now even the thought of having a child seemed reckless. Why would someone want to bring a child into a world like this? A world full of vampires, demons, werewolves, all sorts of unspeakable evil.

"Hey!" The sound of Dean's voice pulled Frankie from her thoughts. "Thanks for bailing on us in there." Turning around she noticed the folder in his hands as he waved it around and hoped it wasn't what she thought it was.

"Is that Jo's case?" She asked, reaching for it only to have Dean hold it out of her reach.

"Yeah and thanks a lot--might I add." He stated, heading for the Impala. "So much for L.A." Dean grumbled, climbing into the driver's seat. This actually hurt Frankie's feelings a bit, why would Jo have given her case to Sam and Dean?

"Well why would she give it to you?" She decided to ask out right, folding her arms in annoyance.

"She didn't," Sam explained, stopping to face Frankie just as he'd reached the passenger door. "Ellen thought it would be best if we checked it out instead." Frankie found that more believable than Jo simply handing her case over. Although, she also knew this wouldn't sit well with Jo either.

Giving the roof a quick tap as Sam had crawled in, Frankie said her farewells to the boys--though Dean seemed mostly still annoyed by it all. It wasn't that he didn't trust Jo's expertise, but he didn't want to go chasing after a case that ended up being nothing, especially when he'd been trying to convince Sam to head to L.A. for a little much needed vacation.

"Where's Jo?" When Frankie had returned to the bar, Ellen was angrily wiping off the counter and Jo was nowhere to be found. Ellen paused, letting out an annoyed breath as she was clearly still upset about the argument.

"She's packing!" She snapped, causing Frankie to take a step back. Ignoring her reaction, Ellen picked her rag back up and continued wiping away the invisible spot on the counter. Frankie decided she'd rather go try and talk to Jo as she was usually easier to get along with after one of the fights than Ellen.

Sure enough, when Frankie had made it out to the RV, Jo was packing her things in a fury. As the door swung closed behind her, Jo spun around ready to continue her argument, but stopped as she noticed it was Frankie instead of her mother. Frankie threw her hands up defensively and Jo relaxed a bit, turning back to her duffel bag.

"Thanks for sticking up for me back there." Jo grumbled, shoving a few shirts forcefully into her bag. Frankie rolled her eyes, taking a seat at the small dining table. Jo knew just as well as Frankie did that it didn't make a difference whether Frankie stood up for Jo or not, Ellen's decision was never wavered by anything anyone had to say when it came to Jo hunting.

"It wasn't like I didn't try." Frankie defended herself, crossing her arms on top of the table. Jo sighed, remembering that Frankie had offered to tag along with Jo on the hunt and her mom had still said no. She was angry, but not at Frankie.

"Look, I'm sorry." Jo straightened up, turning to face Frankie. "I just need a break. I'm gonna head out to Vegas for a few days--clear my head." Frankie raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"Who clears their head in Vegas?" Jo turned back around, zipping her bag up before slinging it over her shoulder. Frankie had known her for nine years and she may have been a good liar, but she couldn't fool Frankie as easily as she could her mother. "Jo, what are you thinking?" Frankie had stood up, blocking Jo's path as she'd gone to exit the RV.

"I'm thinking that you're being just as paranoid as mom." Frankie let out a sigh of frustration. She didn't agree that she was anything like Ellen, but she didn't want Jo running off to hunt with the Winchesters. She had to trust her though, if Jo said she was going to Vegas, she'd probably go to Vegas and besides, she could always track her credit card trail just to be safe. There was just something off about the whole thing and Frankie was finding it difficult to shake her suspicions.

"I'll... talk to Ellen." Jo's face softened a little. She knew she'd probably never get anywhere with her mother, but maybe Frankie could. At least it was a nice gesture on Frankie's part.

"Thank you." She breathed, wrapping her free arm around Frankie in a hug.

Frankie watched from the parking lot as Jo pulled away in Ellen's pick up. As soon as Jo had gone, Frankie had walked straight back into the bar.

"You believe her?" Frankie asked, walking around the bar with Ellen and pouring herself a shot of whiskey. She downed the liquid, staring at the door as Ellen refilled the salt shakers behind her.

"Not for a damn second. Which is why I'm gonna have Ash track her credit card." The same thing Frankie had been thinking.

"Maybe I should have followed her, ya think?" Frankie turned around, pouring herself another shot. "Or maybe you should have just let me take her on that stupid hunt." Ellen glared at Frankie, walking over and snatching the bottle from her hands.

"That's my good whiskey and don't you dare start on me too." Frankie downed her last shot, folding her arms across her chest as she leaned against the bar and watched Ellen put the bottle back up on the shelf. "Frankie," Ellen rested her hands on the counter, hanging her head in defeat. "I didn't want this life for either of you, you know that." Frankie did, all too well. "I couldn't stop you, but I'll be damned if I don't protect that girl." There was a sadness in Ellen's eyes that she only got when she thought about Bill, her husband. Frankie hadn't gotten to meet him as he'd died before she'd showed up, but she knew how hard the loss had been, and still was, on Ellen.

"I know mama." She placed a hand on Ellen's back, rubbing small circles, trying to comfort her. She never wanted Jo to go hunting either, Jo had a chance and she didn't want to see her life cut short because of some monster. "But you know I'd never let anything happen to Jo." And it was true, Frankie'd put her own life at risk before letting anything happen to either Jo or Ellen. Which was why she'd have preferred Jo hunt with her and not the Winchesters.

"I know." Ellen placed a hand on Frankie's, looking up at her. "But I ain't changing my mind." Folding her arms on top of the counter, Frankie looked back towards the door, thinking about Jo's little 'trip' to Vegas.

"You may not have to." She replied under breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter and the few following will be taking place during season 2 episode 6, however I've decided that not all chapters will be following episodes in order--as in I will be skipping episodes, not jumping around. Also, I would like a few chapters where there some Winchester interaction that is not on the show, so we'll see how that goes. I hope everyone enjoyed this chapter...even if there was more Ellen/Jo interaction than Winchester...sorry.