Status: Ongoing

Starting Over

How It All Began

Four Hours Earlier

"Is everyone alright? No bites or scratches?" You asked around your group cautiously. "None reported Captain." One of the Privates confirmed to you. After properly saluting,he returns to whatever duty he was assigned. You had to hand it to them. Despite the whole zombie outbreak disaster they managed to keep military protocal in order. In such times, like now, organization was one asset that was in great need.
You were quite proud of how your men reacted to all of this. There still were some altercations though, considering you were the highest in rank and only female. They just couldn't let go of their manly pride especially how things were now. Either way it went, if you could choose who to have at your side during the end of the world, it would be them.

As you walk around the temporary perimeter, you can't help but hear the guys talking about Jones and Farley. They were the two from your group that had been seperated while you tried to escape a large group of infected. You'd decided to wait in the rendezvous area for three days tops until they returned.

Today was the third day.

You hated the thought of leaving them behind if they happened to still be alive, but you knew more than anyone that staying there wasn't an option any longer. The herd that seperated you would be close pretty soon. You're caught in between a rock and a hard place as you see the somber expressions on all of your men's faces.
Jones and Farley were considered family and it made it even harder to do what had to be done. "We're going to have to move out soon. The herd should be getting closer and it's starting to get dark." You reluctantly tell your second in command and best friend. "I understand." He replys with a stern look. "Yeah, but will they?"

Callahan was one of the very few that held a personal place close to you. He was a valued opinion among chaos and a caring childhood friend. You definitely couldn't afford to lose him, both emotionally and strategically. He had your back through thick and thin, and this was clearly thick. "They either do or get over it. We don't have time to wait these days. We should have left yesterday." Callahan tended to prove a lot of solid points, but your men could have used the rest, and as much as you hated to admit it, you could have too.

The conversation is abruptly interrupted as the roar of an engine is heard nearby. Everyone scrambles to their designated positions as the sound approaches closer. Callahan moves to the front of the group as you sweep the perimeter from your vantage point on the roof of a truck. Everyone's eyes follow the light green Nissan as it drives down the road and into the fenced in area. The driver was waving a white cloth out of the window.

When the car came to a stop the sound of a man's voice called out, "Hey,hey,hey.Don't shoot!" Callahan held up his weapon in defense, "Identify yourself." The man started to exit the car with his hands up in surrender as he continued to speak. "No,hey,hey,hey." He seemed to be in a panicked rush as he tries to explain himself. "We found your guy. Jones? Lieutenant Jones? He was running from some biters."

Everyone looked on in disbelief and Callahan proceded to question the man with hope in his voice. "Well, where is he?" He talked about a settlement and how Jones was badly injured but still alive. All of this kind of left a bad taste in your mouth. It sounded too easy. It didn't make it any better that he kept walking closer and closer to Callahan. It was making you extremely uneasy. " The other guy didn't make it, I'm sorry. Jones, he told me I would find you hear. Wants me to bring you to him."

Not fully trusting this guy, you look around at the surrounding tall grass. Out of the corner of your eye you see something shine. "They got Jones. They found him." Sergeant Berley exclaims to the group. 'They'. That's what caught your attention. Did he really come alone? "We sure did. We found you too." You feel like you're trapped in a slow motion scene as you watch Callahan get shot in the chest. As he falls to the ground more shots are fired all around you. Seeing that you are completely surrounded and your men are falling one by one, you have no choice but to jump down and crawl underneath the truck.

When all gunfire has ceased you look over to see Callahan laying on the ground with blood coming from his mouth. His hand is outstretched toward the man standing over him as he pleas incoherently. The man kneels down and pulls out his knife. You expect him to end it, but he instead cuts the band of the gun and takes it from his dying body. Your ears throb with the sound of your heartbeat as you look on in horror. The man takes the gun and repeatedly smashes it against Callahan's face.

With each blow your body jumps at the impact. You can't look away and it's killing you. It seems as though it takes little to no effort as he pounds the blunt end of the automatic rifle into his skull. The sounds of bones cracking and blood splattering on the dirt makes your stomach flip. You can't believe what you're witnessing, but there it is. In all of it's barbaric and horrendous ugliness.
It takes a total of three hits until he is done, but each one felt like an eternity. You finally build up the strength to look away as more of his people advanced toward him. All you can see are their legs and feet, but by the way they approached, you knew they thought it was just as horrible. "Never waste a bullet, son." He tells the one closest to him with labored breath. That was a shitty excuse for what he did.

"Take out the rest of these well." Anger began to bubble up in the pit of your stomach as he referred to your men as 'these'. This bastard wasn't going to get away with this. He wasn't going to get you either. "Yes sir." By the way people were reacting towards him, you guessed he was their leader. You couldn't understand why these people could take orders from a man like this. Even if times are this hard, there's no need for a senseless massacre. You were military. You could have helped them.

Your thoughts are delayed as you catch a glimpse of something moving. One of your men had managed to hide as well, but he foolishly made a run for the woods. The distance was too far for him to make, especially since he had an injury that impaired his running. With a single shot from the leader, he falls just at the line of grass. Now you knew you were the only one left. You had to find a way out of this or you were going to end up like your men. Survival was your top priority now.

You weren't able to count how many there were, but you knew you couldn't take them all on. Stealth would be your best chance. Suddenly, your heart nearly jumps out of your chest as a voice too close for comfort calls out to the leader, "Hey. Governor,wasn't there a girl with them?" Who in their right mind calls themself Governor? Then you realize he isn't in his right mind.

"What about her?" Feet begin to turn towards the leader as he sounds confused. "I don't see her body anywhere." Your heart beat starts to pick up pace as you realize where this was leading to. They knew you were hiding, and they were eventually going to find you. "Search everything. She has to be here somewhere." Panic set in as the loud clanging of items being thrown and doors being opened rang throughout the site.

You had to think of a plan right then as a pair of run-down boots stopped directly beside your head. As his knees began to bend your mind turned over and over. In a single movement, you shot your leg out underneath him. He fell to the hard ground with a thud and luckily the impact knocked him unconscious. Two more people drew near to investigate the commotion.

Before one of them is able to see you under the truck, you silently slip out from the other side. You take cover behind one of its giant tires as he searches beneath it. With a chuckle he tells the other man, "The dumbass tripped and knocked himself out cold." After a few laughs they commence inspecting the vehicle's interior and bed. Your head is going crazy with anxiety as you search for a way out.

You were by one of the farthest trucks, making it easier to hide from all of them. Not knowing how many there were, you couldn't rely on fighting. Running to the woods in front of you was out of the question too because you knew you were a slow runner. So what were you going to do? Then you remembered that there was a fully loaded AK-47 behind the passenger seat of the next truck. It would be a straight shot to it, but then what?

If there was someone close by could you use them as a hostage? Maybe they'd let you go if one of their own was at stake. So far, that was your best bet. You had to atleast try or you were no better than a quiter. Quiting just wasn't you, especially if it had to do with your own life. With one final pep-talk you check how many bullets were left in your gun. Two. You really needed to let these count for something.

After a short silent prayer you turn the edge of the truck and make a sprint for it. The passenger side is in plain view and the door is wide open. This was a good chance of any. The sounds of yelling were distant and made you feel like you were really going to make it. Your eyes were focused on the small latch that pushed the seat up. It would take a matter of seconds to pull it off. It also took a matter of seconds to shatter all of your hopes.

All oxygen was rushed out of your lungs as you were tackled by a heavy force. You wrestle each other for what seems like forever until you smash the blunt end of your gun on the back of his skull. His body goes limp as another arm snakes around your neck in a chokehold. Any normal civilian thought is pushed out of your mind as the military training takes over. You don't care who it is or how they are thinking, you just act.
Despite the decreasing oxygen, you manage a counter manuever and shove your fist directly into his gut. He doubles over and you grab his shoulders to leverage yourself as you collide his face with your knee. He falls back with his hands on his bleeding nose as he rolls on the floor yelling. "You fuckin' bitch! You broke my nose!"

You have no time for a whitty comeback as another guy grabs you from behind and slams you down on the ground...hard. He tries to restrain your arms, but you head-butt his chin making him flop down beside you. Taking it as your chance, you get on top of him and punch as hard and fast as you can, anywhere you can. The man with the broken nose eventually recovers and tackles you to the ground with him on top.

He does to you what you did to the other guy. His fists colliding with your sides and occasionally your face. Most of the blows were deflected onto your arms as you protected your sides. You began to taste a thick metallic liquid in your mouth and realized you bit your tongue. You needed to get out of this before he literally beat you to death. Seeing a knife on his belt loop, you take the chance to reach for it. He takes it as a chance to really get a hit on your ribcage. You swear you hear the crunch of bone, but you aren't sure. The extent of the pain making you feel numb all over.

With one swift slash, his throat is cut open and blood spews all over you. You quickly push him off and wipe the blood from your eyes. Everyone is looking at you with frightened faces and you feel like a freak show. All at once you grab ahold of the one you had previously beat up. He was still conscious but was groaning in pain as you lifted him onto his feet. With your gun pointed to his head you turn to the Governor.

He drops his weapon and puts his hands in the air with an almost amused expression. The group follows his example and surrenders. "You're quite the fighter aren't you? What's your name?" You scoff and press the gun harder against the man's temple, gaining a pathetic whimper from his busted mouth. "Wouldn't you like to know? You'll end up killing me anyway, just like you did my men."
"Your men?" He looks a bit surprised as he starts to casually lower his arms. "Keep your fucking hands up!" He does as you command and smiles devilishly. This prick was getting creepily irritating. If you had enough bullets you would have already taken a shot at his ugly ass face. "Why don't you join us? We could use someone like you, strong and smart. We've got a town full of people. It's safe. Secure."

You didn't believe anything that came out of his shitty mouth as he continued to persuade you. Believing any of it would only result in your death. There was also the continuous reminder that he was the reason your whole group was dead. He just planned on leaving them there and looting everything. He was the one that deserved to die, not you. "You expect me to just come along with you after I watched you kill my best friend? What kind of dumbass are you?" As you spoke you slowly made your way closer to the woods behind you. You'd hoped he hadn't noticed, but you knew he was smarter than that.

"Well, I guess there really is no way of negotiating with you, huh?" You eyed him suspiciously as he looked around at his group with mock sadness. Without warning he pulls out a hidden gun and shoots the man you are holding. More gunfire goes off as you use his limp body as a shield and make your way to the treeline. His weight is too much for you, so when you get at least ten feet from the forest you drop him and make a run for it. You knew you had been shot when you felt a sharp piercing pain in your left arm, but you had to keep going.

You managed to make it to the woods. You stopped for a moment to see if they would follow and to wrap your arm in cloth from your shirt. They merely shot off a few more rounds and ceased fire. Then you realized what his plan was. The sounds would lure in the herd that was most likely a mile away by now to your location. "Move out. She won't last long out there." You hear the Governor's voice ring out.
Then a barrage of the truck's engines fade out down the road leaving you alone.
Then you become conscious of the fact that you truly aren't alone as the sounds of zombies grew closer. With no time to properly think, you freak and take off into the woods. The rush of survival clouded your mind as you attempted to run. No matter how fast you went the relentless moaning of infected followed you.
If there truly was a god up there, you hoped he heard your prayers for a savior.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it sounds a bit rushed, but I was trying to get to the main plot while still giving you details about her life.