Status: Ongoing

Starting Over

Living On

It has officially been a week since Daryl left for the medicine. Both Hershel and Rick refuse to tell you exactly where he went, in fear of you going after him.

To be honest, you probably would have too, despite your injury. Now knowing what you felt for Daryl made everything so much harder.

You can't stand the thought of Daryl being trapped somewhere or possibly even dead.

Even though you tried to come to terms with the chances of him never coming back, you still found yourself thinking of Daryl non-stop.

Before, you hadn't really thought much of him not visiting you while you were bedridden. You thought that maybe he was still angry at you, so you hadn't expected him to show up at your door.

Now, as you take watch in the tower, you can't help the images of Daryl dead in a ditch or walking amongst the undead that invade your mind.

The mere thought of it all sends a shiver down your spine.

To distract yourself, you pick up your rifle and look through the scope. Starting at the tree line then gazing over the dead clawing at the fences.

Somehow you know you're subconsciously looking for him, but deep down you know you're really looking for him not to be there.

As you continue to stare through the scope, you crane your head to listen to something faint in the distance.

Your heart practically leaps out of your chest when your mind registers the roar of a familiar engine. You can almost feel the vibrations from it as you lower the rifle.

You stare at the winding road leading into the prison with the most hopeful expression. As soon as the bike comes into view you're yelling at someone to open the gate, your eyes never leaving Daryl.

When he's inside of the fence he doesn't stop. He speeds past Glenn into the courtyard. You chuckle at his eagerness as he doesn't even wait to switch the motorcycle off before he's racing into the prison.

Kind of a POV Change I Guess

Everyone stares at Daryl in shock as he storms into the prison. He looks dirtier and more run down than usual, an obvious sign of how long he was out there.

"Where is she?" He practically screams aloud as he makes his way to the cell that he had last seen you in.

His chest tightens into a knot when he sees the bed empty and made as if no one had been there before.

"Where is she?" He repeats weakly, before turning to the small crowd of people that was now standing before him.

"Where the hell is she?!" Daryl yells as he looks at everyone's shocked expressions.

His mind instantly darkens as he takes in their faces as a bad omen.

"She dead?" Daryl's hoarse voice nearly gives out from lack of moisture.

Before anyone can speak light floods in as the door opens and closes.

"Daryl?" Your voice echoes throughout the hall, making the crowd break apart until Daryl sees you standing there.

He lets out the breath he didn't realize he was holding in since he heard your voice.

His eyes rake over your body, specifically to your healing injury at your calf. He can't believe what he's seeing as you stand there with a smile on your face.

Before Daryl knows it, he's dropping his crossbow and the medicine onto the concrete floor and walking toward you.

Back To Normal POV

You have no idea what to do as he practically jogs over to you with a stone-like expression. For a split second you think that he's going to punch you.

Instead, you're completely shocked into place as he gently takes hold of your face with both hands and bends down to collide your lips together.

You don't move for a few seconds, making Daryl think for a moment that this was a mistake, but you quickly wrap your arms around his neck kissing him back.

When you finally pull apart Daryl stares into your eyes with his hands still cupping your face.
"'bout damn time." Glenn whistles from the crowd.

Both you and Daryl's faces flush as you realize how many people just saw that.

"Alright alright. Let's give 'em some privacy." Hershel emerges, leading the whispering people outside.

When everyone is gone Daryl becomes his awkward and nervous self again. You can't help but smile at him pacing and fidgeting with his hands.

You decide to take the initiative and grab onto Daryl's arms to stop him.

"I'm glad you're back."

Daryl finally calms himself and looks back into your eyes. "I'm glad yer okay."

The infectious smiling spreads even to Daryl as he embraces you in a tight hug. You breath in his natural musk and feel like all of this is just an illusion.

But as you stand there, clutching at the back of his vest, you realize that everything will all work out.