Sequel: Heartlines
Status: Undergoing a rewrite

Sun & Moon

Quince

“Well, why can’t you come up for Thanksgiving?” Catalina panted, ducking as Carly swung at her. Catalina’s blue tooth was hanging in her ear, the ‘on call’ light on, glowing a dark blue. The two girls circled one another in the ring, finishing the end of Catalina’s workout circuit with boxing. “I can’t visit on your birthday, Andre.”

Carly gave Catalina an arched brow. She wasn’t overly fond of Catalina talking on the phone while they were working out, but most of the time Catalina had to use her hands free blue tooth to handle business calls. That morning, Andre was chewing her out for not coming home for his birthday weekend, which they had traditions for.

A sheen of sweat covered Catalina’s body. It had become a part of a regular routine to add boxing to the end of the workout. Carly wasn’t an expert on it, but she knew enough to keep Catalina happy. She beckoned Catalina to keep up with the combinations.

Delivering a set of blows, Catalina ducked when Carly swept at her head. “If I come up, you know mom and dad are going to want to come up, chula.” Catalina delivered a powerful blow to Carly’s gloved-hand, earning praise from Carly. “So unless you want everyone up there…”

“Fine, tell them they can come too. We have the room, or I can put you in a hotel.” Carly growled and swatted at Catalina. Catalina dropped her gloves and gave her a look. “Tranquilo, Carly. I’m doing the best that I can.”

“Tell your brother you’ll call him back!”

“My trainer says I’ll call you back, Andre.”

“Later.”

Carly grinned and flicked her pony tale off of her shoulder. “Thank you.”

With her mind focused on the task, Catalina delivered a series of blows that were hard hitting, quickly delivered and perfectly executed. Carly held her ground, leaning forward slightly to stop Catalina from totally knocking her over. At the end of the series, Catalina and Carly both dropped their hands, panting hard.

Catalina grabbed a water bottle and took a few long swigs. Carly did the same nodding her head in Catalina’s direction. “That was a good finish.”

“Sorry about the phone call, I didn’t call him back last night.” Carly waved it off, not actually perturbed. Today her red hair was pulled back in a high pony, her green eyes electric. “Big brother gets grumpy when I don’t call back.”

“I’m an only child.” Carly offered Catalina a towel and the dark-haired girl accepted it gratefully. “My dad is from Wales and my mum is from here. We actually lived in Wales for most of my life but moved back here when I was finishing school. Mum’s parents weren’t doing well.”

“Explains the accent,” Catalina grinned. “I’ve been trying like hell to figure out what exactly it was. I didn’t want to be rude and ask- I don’t always like people to point out mine.” Catalina stood. “I’m going to get lunch with my roommate and her brother, do you want to go?”

Carly shook her head. “No, I wouldn’t want to intrude or anything.”

“You wouldn’t be. You spent most of your life in another country, you probably have maybe a handful of friends here?” Carly attempted to give Catalina a dry expression but she ended up smiling. Catalina threw a towel at her. “Come on, you tosser.”

“Please, don’t talk like that. I like your own insults better.”

Both of the girls showered at the gym and got dressed. Carly never had a lot of Saturday clients. She explained to Catalina that most of the people she worked with were high profile clients like CEOs, people who owned corporations and people like Catalina who just so happened to be able to afford her.

Carly had opened up her own small gym when she finished school with a degree in fitness and health. Since then, she had grown in popularity and bought a new gym with new equipment. Every one of her clients had private sessions with her multiple times a week. Some of them were there to keep in shape and some of them were there because they were athletes and were required to do some level of strengthening.

Erin and Heath both were sitting down at the small, Chinese restaurant fighting over what was in the lo mein. Catalina rolled her eyes as she cleared her throat while approaching, making both of the siblings turn their green eyes on Catalina and Carly.

“Weirdos,” Catalina said, point to the two of them. “This is Carly Bates, my trainer and new friend. Carly, this is Erin my roommate and best friend and her brother Heath, who is tolerable at most.”

“You’ve given Catalina a great six pack,” Heath said, standing and pulling out a chair for Carly to sit. Smiling, she did. “Maybe I should start working out.”

“Catalina works hard,” Carly said, eyes going over the menu. “Takes a special kind of tenacity to get in that kind of shape. Plus, your arm definition makes me think you do go to the gym.”

“He does,” Erin replied dryly. “Don’t let him fool you.”

Conversation went back and forth across the table. Carly fit in easily, her conversation laced with theirs. Catalina pulled her legs up onto the chair as she drank her water, ignoring Erin who swat at her knees. Erin hated when Catalina sat impolitely when they were in public.

When food came, they all shared. No one had a problem scooping noodles or chicken onto their plates, and reaching across the table for soy sauce. Catalina found herself laughing a lot, as she usually did. It was another thing she was thankful for. Work had her on the go all day every day and she needed her friends to bring her back to earth.

Finishing up, they all leaned backwards into their chairs, clearly full. Erin took a sip of her diet coke and turned to Catalina. “So Jonathan and I went touristing yesterday. Surprisingly I haven’t been to every single tourist trap in this city- he has.”

“Well he is Canadian,” Catalina chucked. “And curious.”

“So you haven’t had any player incidents at work?”

“Not with any of the players, no. There have been some issues but all quite minor. I’ve been mostly helping out with media relations. Alice has been absolutely insane and her intern can only do so much.”

“I see.” Erin shifted. “Patrick hasn’t even given you trouble?”

“No, why should he?”

“I mean, the guy hit you with a car and-“

“You got hit with a car?” Carly asked, giving an apologetic face to Erin for interrupting her. “Sorry.”

Erin grinned. “This guy hit her with a car,” Erin explained. “And she actually works with him. They like to flirt a lot so I was just wondering if he had given her any trouble, the usual.”

“I don’t ever see Patrick, promise.” Catalina gave Carly a look. “He can be insufferable, kind of like Heath at times, actually.”

A few beats of silence passed as Catalina stared at Erin, who was trying to fight laughter and failing. “Look, I’m sorry,” Erin supplied. “He seems like a really persistent guy so I figured he would have been all over you still, relax.”

“I’m quite relaxed.”

Erin ruffled Catalina’s haired good naturedly, making a noise of annoyance. Erin started laughing as their bill came. Carly refused to let anyone pay for it, throwing her card down on the check and daring anyone to try and pay. That didn’t surprise Catalina, Carly was as hard to sway as herself.

After lunch, everyone parted ways. Catalina pulled out her phone and texted Forrest only to find that he was at the bookstore. Catalina contemplated going home but she decided to make a quick stop on the way. She hadn’t seen him in a few days because of work and she was starting to get frustrated that she couldn’t shove him down on a bed and get her work stress out.

The store was downtown, tucked on a small street among cafes, thrift stores and a record store. The brick building fit perfect in that kind of scene, the apartments looming over it with small balconies completing the entire scene.

A bell chimed lightly as Catalina walked in. The smell of pages and vanilla hit her, make her pause and inhale deeply. She always liked the smell of vanilla, but she appreciated the smell of books more. And there were a lot of books to thank for the scent. There were shelves and shelved of them, small chalkboards with handwritten genres on the shelves and small pictures to go with them.

Catalina smiled, walking slowly through the store. An old Oasis song was playing over the speakers. Catalina had never been to the store before, but she had known where it was. She tucked her hands in her back pockets, trying to locate the tan, extremely handsome worker.

At the back of the store is where she found him. There was no one inside the store, just Forrest on a ladder putting books onto a shelf. His back was to her, so Catalina took a moment to examine the way his dark jeans hugged his butt and the way his arms moved when he reached the top of the shelf.

“Could you point me to the porn section?”

Forrest flinched wildly, nearly falling off of the ladder and dropping a book. Catalina’s laughter was loud and full as she walked forward, picking up the dropped book and holding it up to him. He gave her a look as he took it. “Are you trying to kill me?”

“Yes, but not by scaring you off of a ladder.” She crossed her arms and looked around the store. It was small and cozy, not unlike the ones back in Miami. Although those usually had the smell of Bustello simmering throughout the shelves and had merengue music blaring. “I like the place.”

“Thanks.” He put the book on the shelf and started down from the ladder. When he was down, he smirked down at Catalina and leaned forward to kiss her. Instead, she danced away and picked a book off the shelf, turning it over in her hands. “It’s my sister’s place.”

“She has good taste.” Catalina put the book back. “I like that they’re all used books. Do you ever turn any away?”

“Not really.” He seemed thoughtful then. His black t-shirt was covered in some dust. His hair was disheveled as well, but other than that he looked picture perfect. “Not unless it’s as you just put it, porn.”

“Hmm. Does that happen often?”

“Once in a blue moon. Besides, I don’t think a girl like you needs porn.”

Catalina began walking among the shelves. She heard Forrest follow her. “Don’t let the delicate features fool you,” she hummed. “Plenty of girls watch porn. Most guys can’t satisfy our needs, so we have to get creative.” Catalina looked at Forrest over her shoulder with a keen eye. “Don’t make me get creative, Forrest.”

“What are you doing today?”

“Visiting book stores. I’ve decided I want to be a bibliphob.”

Forrest laughed and Catalina narrowed her eyes, not like that he sounded like he was laughing at her and not at the joke. “I think you mean bibliophile.”

“You knew what I meant.” It came out as a growl.

A woman came in the store just then. Her hair was a dark shade of chocolate brown, thrown into a messy halo-braid on her head. She was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but when she looked up from fishing for her phone in her purse, Catalina knew right away that she was Forrest’s sister. They had the same narrow nose and full lips, and she was absolutely stunning.

Catalina suddenly felt like a daisy planted next to a giant sunflower. Regardless, she grinned happily at the woman who seemed startled. “Hi,” Catalina greeted. She pointed at her bag. “Love that purse. Kate Spade?”

“Yeah, they’re having a sale. I needed a winter color. I’m Harper,” she held out her hand and Catalina shook it. “You’re Catalina?”

Catalina’s smile cracked slightly as she dropped her hand and looked at Forrest who had taken sudden interest in fixing a book on a shelf. “I am. This is a beautiful store. How long have you had it?”

“Since I was eighteen. I decided at the last second not to go to school and used all the money I was giving from family at graduation to buy it.” Catalina let out a long whistle, impressed. It had to have been difficult to keep a used bookstore up and running, but here it was. “You’d be amazed at how many people don’t mind giving away old books for free.”

“I’m sure Catalina would love to hear about it,” Forrest interjected, walking by his sister and kissing her on the top of the head. “But I’m going on my lunch break. We’ll be in the back.”

“It was nice to meet you,” Catalina said earnestly. “And I would like to hear how an awesome woman made this store run at eighteen. I’m impressed.”

“I’ll tell you about it sometime.”

Turning around, she looked at Forrest. He was waiting for her, giving her a look that made her grin as she skipped passed him. He caught up to her and gave her a light smack on the butt, grinning at her as he led her to the door in the back. It led to an emergency exit and a set of stairs that led to the second floor.

Forrest began climbing the stairs easily, his body moving lithely. Catalina jogged up the steps after him, clueless as to where they were going. They reached a small landing and he opened a wooden door, the word ‘office’ on a small, silver plaque.

True to the plaque, it was an office. It was small, with two windows opening up to the street. It was cool inside, a single bookshelf, large desk with a computer and a standing file cabinet present. There were two chairs in front of the desk to entertain anyone for business, but the office looked more like it was just somewhere to keep everything organize.

Forrest walked around the desk and opened a fridge that Catalina couldn’t see. She busied herself sitting on the arm of the chair, stretching out her tanned legs as she watched him. He pulled a water bottle out of the fridge and offered her one, which she took.

Taking a few sips, she continued to watch him. He straightened out and looked her up and down, making her lips curl upwards. “What?”

“Thinking of something.”

“Want to share?”

“Absolutely.”

Instead of talking, he put down his water bottle and walked around the desk, towering her as stood between her legs. He gently grabbed her by the back of her neck and pulled her face upwards, lowering his head and kissing her deeply, his lips rough against hers.

Running her hands up the front of his shirt, Catalina twisted her fingers in the collar. His shirt was soft at the touch, winding in her fingers as she tried to bring him closer. Catalina bit his bottom lip lightly, making him smile into the kiss. Without warning her, he slipped his hands underneath her thighs and hefted her and onto the desk.

“Is this more comfortable for you?” she teased, kissing the jaw line covered in stubble. Her nailed dug slightly into his jaw as she held his face, planting kisses on his skin. Something about his lips and skin tasted cool, like peppermint.

Dropping to his knees, Forrest looked up at Catalina, who blinked in surprised. He traced her inner thighs with his hand, running them all the way up to unbutton her shorts. “Actually, I think it’s more comfortable for you.”

“I might knock all this over.”

“Good,” he said lowly. Catalina lifted her hips off the desk so he could tug her shorts down and dropped them on the floor. Her lace underwear matched the black shirt. “That means I’m doing something right.” He kissed the inside of her thighs, the stubble rough against the soft skin. She shivered, leaning back and supporting herself with her hands. “And I don’t want you to get creative.”

“Would be a shame with lips like those.”

Warm breath hit her over the thin fabric of her underwear as he chuckled. Catalina clawed the desk slightly, her fingers tense and white at the knuckle from it. Forrest ran a finger along her panty line, making her twitch. He was teasing her and Catalina hated being teased.

With one hand, she wrapped her fingers in Forrest’s hair and pulled his head backwards, making him look up at her, a small smile on his face. She looked at him between her legs, his fingers still dancing along the lace.

“Don’t fuck with me,” Catalina growled, the side of her mouth curling upwards slightly. “You’re cute, but I have no patience for being teased.”

Forrest placed a wet kiss over her underwear, maybe Catalina twitch lightly. Forrest laughed. “I love it when you get bossy.”

Hooking his finger around her underwear, Forrest pulled them to the side. Catalina chewed on the corner of her mouth gasping slightly as Forrest ran his tongue up her center slowly. Her head dropped back and her eyes were half lidded as he repeated the motion, her muscles twitching as Forrest because to flick his tongue over her clit.

The hand in Forrest’s hair tightened and Catalina’s hips rose off of the desk slightly. Forrest kept up the pace, making Catalina feel like her entire body was beginning to burn. Her skin felt warm and she clenched her fists, clenching her teeth as Forrest fastened his lips to her, eliciting a moan.

Forrest pushed Catalina’s legs farther apart. She shifted and lay back on the desk, knocking over a cup holding pencils. Both of them laughed but the feeling of Forrest laughing while his tongue was delving inside of her made her breathless. She hooked a leg over his shoulder, using it as leverage to bring him as close as he could.

Looking down at him, she saw him watching her and she grinned. Forrest didn’t take his eyes off of her and Catalina easily could have gotten off just knowing that he was taking pleasure out of watching her. His eyes were dark and drinking her in, and she knew that he enjoyed this just as much as she did.

“God that feels good,” she whispered, her voice raspy. He added a finger then, hitting her spot and making a high-pitched noise escape her lips. She leaned up on her elbows, her hips rolling slightly to meet his ministrations. She couldn’t help it. She needed to move, needed to feel more friction as he tortured her. “Do. Not. Stop.”

Every muscle in Catalina’s body locked as she felt herself edging closer to her orgasm. Clutching the edge of the desk, Catalina’s breath hitched and a string of curses escaped her mouth as her hips bucked. Forrest held her hips down firmly, not letting up as she rode out her orgasm.

Catalina’s breathing came out raspy, rough and winded. She lay on the desk, a hand through her hair and trying to catch her breath. Forrest pulled her underwear up her legs and lifted her off the desk, clothing her. She grinned at the gesture as he kissed one of the legs.

“So you talked to your sister about me?” Forrest made a groan as he sat down on the ground. She lifted her head and looked at him. He licked his lip, giving her a smug smile. He leaned back on his hands, looking her up and down. “That’s kind of interesting.”

“She asked who’s underwear were in my kitchen.”

Catalina cocked her head to the side. “Are they the nude ones with the red bow?”

“That would be the pair.”

“I’ve been looking everywhere for those! Did I really go home without a pair of underwear on?” Forrest laughed and shrugged his shoulders. Catalina slide off the desk, picking up her shorts and sliding them on. While she did, he caressed her leg lightly with his fingers. “I guess I’ve done worse than not wear underwear.”

“Maybe you should wear none more often.”

“Maybe. I’ve got to get back home and walk Benny.”

“Will I see you later?”

Catalina shrugged. “Probably not, I was going to make dinner for Erin and I.” Fixing her hair, she offered Forrest a hand. He took it and she helped him up. He looked down at her, narrowing his eyes a bit. She winked at him and slinked passed. “Don’t worry, I don’t think I’ll be creative any time soon.”

“Good.”

Catalina walked out of the office and shut the door. She hesitated for a moment before deciding to walk out of the emergency exit instead of back through the store where Forrest’s sister would be. If there was anything Catalina hated more than getting to know guy’s friends, it was getting to know their family.

That was never a good sign.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cat doesn't like attachment. If you're bragging to your family well.. I dare say you're attached.

-N