Status: Currently chewing gum and wearing a red sparkly beanie.

Writer in Progress

Name Vignette

Named after a character on movie my parents saw when they were pregnant with me, never really excited me. They were going to name me Shay regardless of my gender. Shay, after fiction, and Denice after my mother's mother. Shay Denice Porter. Not very glamorous, but I love it.

I didn't always love it, in fact I very much disliked my unique name. When I was younger I was upset I wasn't named something pretty and girly, like Ella. As I grew in mind and body, I grew into this name that was bestowed upon me. I embraced the odd-ball name and came to realize that this factor of my life just added to my one-of-a-kind personality.

In almost every language and according to the internet my name means: Brave, Independent, Strong, Stubborn and Capable. I concur that these are dominant traits of my personality and makes me wonder if our names have an impression on us before we are even born.

There is a famous actress named Shay Mitchell and a character on Chicago Fire named Shay. The common factor? Both are gay. I however am 100% straight. Which makes me embarrassed to have the same name...I don't want to be known for having the same name as a famous lesbian, I want to be known as Shay Denice Porter, just me.

I've never had the problem of having other kids in my class being named Shay. In the end I am glad of this, it would make me feel insignificant having to be around someone all the time with the same name as me. I'm glad that in this way I am different and stand out, even if it's just a little bit.