‹ Prequel: Shuffle
Status: Update every 1st and 3rd Saturday!

Float On

An Unexpected Guest

My stomach was a mess of knots, the kind you struggle to untangle for hours yet still fail miserably. I felt as though my blood had drained from every vessel in my body, leaving me limp and light headed. My heart sat unmoving in my chest, too stunned to function. The only thing racing in my body was my mind.

We did what we could, but she didn’t make it.

She didn’t make it.

…didn’t make it.

…didn’t.


The image of her glowing skin and brilliant smile flashed briefly in my mind. The way her hair fell so perfectly around her small shoulders when she lost herself in whimsical laughter. Her stunning, hazelnut eyes that I could lose myself in for hours. The way she fit in my arms like a puzzle piece.
All that was lost.

“I need to get out of here...” My lungs heaved as if caught beneath mounds of rubble. Somehow, my feet carried me out of the starch white room. The doctor’s muffled voice sounded out behind me, but my heavy footsteps overpowered the noise.

I managed to find my way to the lobby. I almost did not see her familiar, tiny body slumped over in misery. Desperate tears streamed down her usually chipper face. Her oversized, puffy eyes met mine and she quickly shot to her feet.

Everything clicked.

She raced to my side, arms outreached. Without a second thought, I turned my back to the child and rushed out the doors. Her screams disappeared behind me as my feet carried me away. Heavy, fat snowflakes contrasted against the black of night, falling silently to the ground.

xoxoxo
Present Day
xoxoxo


“So, how much longer until your place is done?” Kaoru voice questions from the other room, resting comfortably in the recliner. I grabbed two ales from the refrigerator, tucking a bag of chips under my free arm, and joined him in the living room.

“Couple more weeks.” I shrug, dangling an offering before his face. He accepts the bottle gladly, eagerly twisting off the cap as I fall into my couch. I mimic Kaoru’s actions, taking a swig. It went down smoothly.

“That’s good.” He exhales in approval.

“A welcome home gift from Saya.” I grin to myself.

“She’s a sweet girl.” Kaoru chuckles. I nod in agreement. We just got back from Europe today. In fact, I hadn’t been home in nine weeks. I was looking forward to a calm, quiet evening.

The sound of a child’s squealing and clanging pans came muffled from neighboring condo’s wall. I frowned, rubbing my temples. Like I said, I was looking forward to a calm, quiet evening.

“New neighbors?” Kaoru questions, pointing out the wall with his thumb.

“Unfortunately.” I grumble. “Apparently they moved in about three weeks ago. I never would have guessed how loud one woman and kid could be.” I growled as the squealing grew louder. Kaoru chuckled to himself.

“Only a few more weeks.” Kaoru reminded me, reaching for the bag of chips.

“I should have just bought a move-in-ready place. What was I thinking building my own?!” I groan. He only laughed.

“Someone had to have a custom studio basement, even though his girlfriend owns a studio.” He teased. I rolled my eyes, flipping my middle finger to the man.

“You can leave now.” I sneer, a smile tugging at my lips before meeting with the cool glass of my drink.

Footsteps sounded at the front door, as well as the jingling of keys. I glanced at the time on my phone.

“She’s early.” I mutter, surprise evident in my face. I could hear Saya’s muffled mumbling as she fumbled with the door knob. I rose to my feet, along with Kaoru, moving to greet my girlfriend.

The door flew open, a flustered Saya huffing on the other side. Her hair was thrown into a messy bun, arms weighed down by heavy baggage. Her familiar, heartwarming smile greeted me and I couldn’t help but to return the gesture.

“Hey babe.” I grinned, “It’s been a while.” Hardly a moment passed before she had thrown her full weight into my arms, holding me as tightly as possible. I couldn’t help chuckling.

“I missed you!!!” She squeaked, dropping her bags and instantly locking lips with me. My arms found their way around her narrow waist, fitting right into place. Kaoru’s awkward throat clearing reminded me that we weren’t the only two in the room.

“Oh! I didn’t realize you had company!” Saya exclaimed, face beet red.

“I was just heading out.” Kaoru grinned, “You just blocked my exit.” He chuckled.

“I’m so sorry Kaoru!” Saya laughed, quickly gathering her bags and clearing the entranceway.

“Not a problem. You two have a terrific evening!” He bowed, slinking out the door.

“Thanks for dropping by, Kaoru.” I waved.

“No problem! It was nice seeing you Saya! And Kyo, I’ll see you at practice.” He added with a wink, “Let me know if you need any help moving!”

“Thanks!” I waved as he disappeared out the door. I turned my attention back to Saya who was finding a place for all her baggage. I silently shut the door, quickly scooping up her body into my arms and whisking her away to our room. I dropped her onto the bed, pouncing on top with a mischievous grin.

“We’re alone now.” I smirked. “I’ve missed you.” I whispered, claiming her parted lips before a word could escape from them. Her arms wrapped around my torso, pulling my body to hers with a heavy sigh.

“Not as much as I’ve missed you, Kyo.” She exhaled tenderly.

xoxox


Beep beep beep beep.

Saya’s alarm droned, waking me from my slumber. She quickly silenced it shuffling at my side. I squeezed my eyes tight, hoping to reclaim sleep. The bed shifted as Saya exhaled in disappointment.

“Time for work?” I muttered, eyes remaining closed.

“I didn’t mean to wake you.” She frowned. A smile played at my lips before rolling my body into hers, wrapping my arms around her petite frame. “Five more minutes.” I whispered, dragging her closer. Her body shook with soft, tired laughter.

“I should have left five minutes ago already.” She chuckled, her lips dancing at my cheek. I gazed into her hazel eyes smiling back at me.

“I love you.” I whispered, kissing her round nose.

“I love you too.” She grinned before slipping out of bed. Already, I missed her warmth. I tugged the blankets closer around my body, shifting my weight to the center of the bed.

“Have a great day baby.” Her lips caressed mine tenderly before disappearing.

My heavy eyelids closed gratefully, welcoming rest. Unfortunately, that didn’t last long. A knock sounded at the door, forcing me to crawl out of my comfortable cocoon. With a heavy groan, I dragged myself out of bed to answer the knocks.

“Forgot your keys again?” I muttered, stifling a yawn while opening the door. But it wasn’t Saya who greeted me. A short, dark haired child stood before me, her bright eyes staring into mine.

“Mister, can you make dumplings? I want those for lunch.”