Haunted

Scrapbook

Sitting on the floor in my old room, I have a scrapbook from my living days. It's opened to the pages of sports. I'm smiling with my friends and Erik. Tracing his face, I get a flash of the past when he had come into my room that day of the funeral. He walks around the room, as if looking for something and then he takes something. But what?

Will walks into the room, with books in hand. "Was wondering if I was going to see you tonight or not," he says closing the door with his foot.

"Sorry I didn’t mean to brake all that stuff," I whisper, as I keep looking at the pages.

"Can you become flesh and bone again, yet?"

I shake my head. "No, I just put the bracelet on the nightstand,"

"Have you figured out what you are missing?" he asks, sitting down on the bed and spreads out his work.

"No," shaking my head, I flip the page again. "I keep seeing flashes of Erik being in here, but when he took whatever, I can't see what he took,"

"Where were you in the house when all those people came over?" he asks booting up his laptop.

"I was around, but somehow I ended up in the underground part of the house,"

He looks up at me in shock. "Underground part of the house?"

Shaking my head, I look back down at the pictures. "Yeah, when the town was in it's early stages they had built underground safety zones. This house was one of them. A lot of people don't know where the underground safety zones are at. But I did, I was exploring when I was young one day and fell in a hole. It took me until night, when I pushed up against a wall that ended up being a bookcase,"

"How many people know about the underground part of the house?"

"Not many. I'm not sure if anyone outside our family knew or not, it's possible outsiders know," flipping a page, Erik and I are standing together, he's holding a heart necklace in hand. Shock goes through me. "I got to go," standing up, the movement is so fast, the scrapbook slams closed.

"What's wrong? Where are you going?"

"To get my heart back,"

****

Standing outside Erik old house, he is by his window looking at something. Flashing up on the room, I look it and he has what looks like a shrine to me. I try to get in, but for some reason I can't get in. "Alice," he whispers to a picture of me.

Tapping on the window as best as I can, he turns his head to the window. He gets up and opens the window. Slipping in, I move the necklace and put it on. The lights flicker on and off. Erik turns around and I can see his eyes get big and I swear I can almost see his heart jump out of his chest. "Good God-"

"Why did you take it Erik?" I whisper and it's easy to tell he is looking at me and can actually see me, I've never seen this sort of fear in his eyes.

He walks up to me, but far enough that only his finger tips would touch my skin. But they go right through me. "Because I felt like you were still with me, and you are," he says with tears coming from his eyes.

"I'm a ghost Erik. I am dead!"

"I know, but I still love you,"

"Do you know who killed me?" I snap.

He shakes his head. "God Ali, I wish I could change the past. I miss you so much,"

His nickname for me, makes me warm inside, but I fight it. "I need to get back, I'm getting weak," leaving his room. I land down on the ground and I feel like I am being watched. But not by Erik, something or someone evil.

"You got away from me girl, but not again." a hiss of a whisper says and it's like a vacuum is on and I am sent home. The doors and windows shut loudly like thunder and I am thrown into the undergrounds under the house.