Two Worlds Apart

Chapter Two: Surprise Event

“My Pharaoh, welcome back” Mahad greeted as he stood near the throne where Seto had impatiently been waiting. When Atem neared, Mahad leaned close to his ear, “Did everything go the way you had hoped?” He whispered. Atem nodded with a gentle smile as he took his place back on the throne. Seto cleared his throat, “As I was saying earlier. The princesses should be here in the morning tomorrow”.

“Princesses?” Atem shot up from his seat. Seto slightly jumped by his sudden surprise. He regained his composure and nodded, “Three princesses from our neighboring kingdoms will be coming to stay for exactly one month. You are to choose a bride by the end of the month so you may become a true Pharaoh”. Atem slumped back into his seat, his heart crushed, his mind scattered once more. He had completely forgotten that a Pharaoh must marry if he were to keep his throne.
The rest of Seto’s list were of the rooms they would take, how he would spend time with each princess. Each week he would spend time with one of them. By the fourth week he would have enough time to decide which will become his queen. Atem had dismissed Seto the moment he was done, Mahad gave him a worried look.

“Are you alright my lord?” Concern heard clearly in his voice as Atem stood. He was silent for a few moments before his saddened eyes turn to his friend, “I had forgotten this part about being Pharaoh. I had some small hope that I would be able to choose my wife. Even if I am choosing still, only a selected few were chosen”. Atem slowly stepped down from his throne by Mahad’s side as he felt a comforting hand upon his shoulder.

“Maybe your friend could help you. I know you had just visited her but maybe she can help more than I could. As your priest I would tell you that this must be done but…as your friend, I would tell you to follow what your heart tells you” Mahad spoke like a brother who was comforting his younger sibling. Both his hands had firmly gripped Atem’s shoulders as if assuring that all would be well and that he meant every word.

Atem smiled, nodding, he had agreed with every word he spoke. “I will see you soon then” he gripped Mahad’s arm and was about to turn but Mahad had stopped him. “You must be careful, it is dark out now. Nothing good comes out of the darkness” Mahad warned as Atem looked down. They may have been true at one point but he had learned some of the most beautiful of things live only under the starry night. “I’ll be fine” Atem assured him as he turned and left out the throne room doors.

He followed the same path on his horse like he has done so many times throughout the years. Yet never has he gone to see her when the moon was high in the sky. Surly she would know that something was wrong. He sighed as he stood outside the mouth of the cave. The same cool breeze welcoming him, but this time this breeze felt very cold since the night air already had nipped at his sun kissed skin.

Atem in took a large breath before he exhaled, walking down the steps. He gazed around to find Ysera, staring at her crystal, her back towards him though he could see she was viewing the city and its glowing lights as the decorations were complete. “Your kingdom is beautiful and yet, you aren’t there to see it” She spoke softly, turning as her green glowing eyes gazed toward him curiously. Each of her steps thumped as she neared him. His eyes fell, his words choked within his throat.

The tip of her tail had lifted his chin, her eyes full of concern. “So why is my little prince here? The night holds many dangers” She questioned, hoping to make him speak. Atem lifted his hand, his fingertips grazing her tail as she laid it down beside her. “I am to be married within a month” He uttered, still not daring to look at her. If he had looked up he would see the pain in her eyes, but she quickly covered it as she nuzzled him. “Why is that such a bad thing? I didn’t even know you had a special someone” she tried to sound happy but her pain was starting to show.

Atem’s head snapped up when he heard her voice. He notice the pain in her voice but didn’t prey further into it, he only sighed. “I don’t, three princesses are to arrive at the palace tomorrow morning. I shall spend a week with each one and by the end of the fourth week I must make a choice on who shall be my queen” all his anger started to rise as he turned, punching the wall. For a mortal, Ysera was shocked to see he had slightly cracked the stone.

Atem continued, “I wanted to find love on my own. All the stories you told me about, real or not, I wanted to do the same. For all I know the love of my life could be…” “A commoner?” Ysera finished when he couldn’t. He nodded, “But fairytales do not apply to me. I must marry someone of noble blood. The blood of the gods”. “You no longer believe in it do you?” She questioned and he shook his head. “I believe that we all have the same blood running through our veins. Royal or not, but just because I believe that, it doesn’t mean that they would”.

Ysera sighed, lifting a claw to pull him towards her. His expression went from shock to sadness. She hugged him close, a soft rumble vibrated within her chest as she took a breath. “All I can say to you now is you must follow your heart. Try this…princess thing. You haven’t even met them, for all you know one of them would capture your heart. Remember the story of the young princess who thought the same as you? She wanted to find love and was force to be engaged, but as time passed and all the adventures she had with this prince, she fell in love. Maybe there’s a princess coming that thinks the same as you”.

Atem gazed up, he had a realization, “You’re right. I shouldn’t judge them quickly. I will give this a shot…but whether I find one or not…I’m not sure how I would see you again”. Atem was right and Ysera knew it. If he were to marry there would be no way he could just sneak away to see her and even if he married someone he loved, would she accept her? “If…this were to happen, know that I shall always look after you. If you truly need me, I shall come” She appeared to be smiling down to him.

Atem hugged her arm feeling a bit more relieved of the new events. He decided he couldn’t be out much longer and said his goodbyes as he hurried home. Ysera sighed as she watch him disappear into the distance. Her heart had broken that night.