Two Worlds Apart

Chapter Three: A New Role

Ysera drug her body back into her home. The crystals shined has if attempting to cheer her up but nothing was to work. Her eyes stayed glued on the smooth rock floor as she made her way to the back of the cave where many books and treasures were gathered over the years, lay in a neat and organized pile.

Ysera let her body thump onto the floor as she curled her body in a ball, snorting a gust of wind causing green flames to release from her nostrils. “Oh girl, you need to go chase your man” A desert fox came out of hiding from behind a pile of books with a cobra curled on her back. If there was one thing Atem never knew was her two friends, Sphinx and Leviathan or Levi for short. She had known them for several years when they one day stumbled into her home when a random storm appeared.

The emerald dragon huffed, moving her body so she could face away from them. “We ssshouldn’t bother her” Levi stated to Sphinx but she wasn’t about to listen. “Hush you, Ysera deserves a good man and Atem is a good man” the fox replied as she made her way to the front of Ysera’s muzzle. “What do you expect me to do Sphinx? Fly my big scaly butt to the palace and confess all the feelings I’ve had recently? You know as well as I do that will never happen” Ysera lifted her head with a look of annoyance filling her sapphire eyes.

Sphinx shook her head, “No of course not but you do have a human form don’t you?” Suddenly the fox gasped with excitement causing Levi to fall onto the ground, hissing angrily but the fox ignored him, “You can pose as another princess!” Ysera wasn’t impressed in the slightest, “You have to be joking…”. “No, I’m not, just hear me out. They may be expecting three princesses but maybe a princess from a very far kingdom, a small one, needed to do this to save her people. I mean if they ask of course” Sphinx explained as she made her way up the dragon’s body until she was on top of her head.

Ysera actually considered it for a few moments before shaking her head, almost knocking off Sphinx, “No, there’s no way that would work”. “Unlesss you practiccce your role” Levi spoke up, slithering his way to one of her claws. She was quiet for a few moments, unsure of such a drastic step until a look of realization appear in her features. All those love stories she ever told Atem was because secretly, she wanted to find love as powerful as those stories. She had been alone for far too many years that she began to tell stories as if she were wishing to a star.

It may have been strange for a creature like her to fall for a mortal but there was something different in those violet eyes of his.

Ysera’s eyes darted all over the cave as if her thoughts were too scrambled, she had to see them floating around to focus. Just then she paused, her friends waiting on her reply. “I…” She started until she heaved a sigh, lowering her head, “I’ll do it”. Her friends cheered as Sphinx jumped from Ysera’s head and ran to the pile of books. She disappeared for a moment before pushing a couple of books into view, “Let’s begin”.

The entire night was all about creating a story and rehearsing it. Her friends found that Ysera was a terrible actress and couldn’t lie if her life depended on it, though she was slowly progressing. Thankfully her manners were of no problem, she had met many royalty in her life to know how they must act. Her story is of a young princess named Anabell, who comes from the Crystal Empire, go figure, which is slowly falling apart until the princess marries.

The only thing left was for Ysera to change into her human form.

Ysera took in a deep breath as her body started to glow, her body shifting. The glow dissipated to reveal a beautiful young woman with flowing emerald hair, forest green streaks, that reached to her waist with short feathered bangs and light green eyes eyes. Her skin was flawless and appeared to be as pale as the moon. “Oh honey, you look beautiful” Sphinx breathed as Ysera gazed toward a crystal that acted like a full length mirror.

She was shocked to see her new form, she never felt the need to change into a human and she always stayed in her dragon form for she was born. Ysera had to admit though, her human body didn’t look bad at all though she blushed when she had realized she was completely bare but that didn’t bother Sphinx and Leviathan.

Ysera shook her head when she saw her pointed ears, showing a more elf side to her, “No this won’t do. My appearance doesn’t seem normal at all”. Sphinx looked as if she shrugged her small furry shoulders, “So? The Crystal Empire isn’t normal…at least I don’t think it is…doesn’t matter!” “It does matter Sphinx! If you really think about it the color of my hair and eyes would give my cover away for sure whether it looks crystal empireish or not” doubt flooded her heart. Dawn was soon to come and she wasn’t sure how to fix this.

“Perhapsss there isss sssomething in your booksss to help you with your problem” Levi suggested as he slithered his long body to the mountain of books. “You’re right…” Ysera mumbled to herself as she filtered through the books with the help of her friends. It didn’t take long until Ysera squealed and then blushed from her outburst.

She flipped a few pages of different spells to the fine details of shape-shifting. The steps seemed simple but just like anything magic, there was a catch. “Says here I need to renew the spell the same time I casted it the next day. It should be dawn now…so I better try it out now before it gets any later” Ysera explained, she uttered a few words in draconic language as her hair started to shimmer until it started to change.

Ysera’s hair had become a dark blue and her eyes became a lavender color. Her elf like ears at reverted to a more human appearance. ‘It may not seem normal but at least it’s better than my actual look’ she smiled when she saw her new appearance, happy to find the spell had worked. “Just don’t forget about the spell, you don’t want it accidently wearing off in front of lover boy” Sphinx warned, seeing she was entranced by her new found form.

She turned to Sphinx and nodded, “I won’t. I can’t afford a slip up such as that”. “Oh one more thing!” The fox perked up, running back to the pile of books and disappearing for a few moments. She pushed out a small wooden box, “Open it”.

“What?” Ysera uttered, confused by the sudden gift but kneeled down to open the box. Inside was a beautiful white gown with splotches of blue on the end of the bell sleeves and the bottom of the dress. She had tried on the dress as it hugged her curves, the dress only came up to about the shoulder, revealing the top, almost like a tube top. Ysera twirled in the dress watching it sway beautifully around her. “How did you…?” She started but Sphinx huffed, “I have my ways. I have to say, you look more like a goddess than a princess”.

Ysera smiled but as time grew closer she was feeling terrible at attempting this for only one of royal blood could marry Atem. If for some freak miracle she was chosen…there was no kingdom to show at the end.