Two Worlds Apart

Chapter Five: Love Advice

Anabell had taken a small nap, seeing she still had a couple of hours left before lunch she decided to explore the palace. With an excited laugh she walked swiftly through the halls, enjoying how it actually felt to be part of a world she’s watched for so long. She kept exploring until she found the garden that Atem would always talk about and it was more breathe taking than he had described.

She spun in circles, feeling her bare feet against the soft grass, her dress flowing around her. Anabell stopped, “This is amazing” she breathed. “It always makes me miss home” A soft voice spoke behind her. Anabell jumped, turning sharply and seeing Aphrodite lifting her hands as if apologizing for scaring her. “I’m sorry, I saw you leave your room…I was curious where you were going”. Anabell could see a smidge of blush but it quickly went away when Aphrodite came to stand by her side.

“I know this may seem silly but I wanted to speak with you” She continued, earning a confused gaze from Anabell. “Why me?” Anabell questioned, not sure if she was planning something or was being sincere. Aphrodite giggled softly, “You have nothing to worry about. I am named after the goddess of love. I won’t be like those other princesses” “Yet there are rumors that the goddess Aphrodite was the one who cursed Medusa for being more beautiful than she” Anabell replied.

Aphrodite’s eyes widened, “I honestly didn’t think you’d know of her”. Anabell smiled, “We have learned of Egyptian gods and goddess as we have for Romans, Japanese, Aztecs, so on and so forth. I wanted to learn everyone’s culture. Each one having something unique to look up to” she looked up to the sky as if to see one of them. Aphrodite followed her gaze as they both stared at the endless blue sky.

“You are right though. There are rumors and I wouldn’t doubt if they were true, but I wouldn’t be like that. Honestly, I wanted to speak with you because I could see already the other princesses don’t like you and I wanted you to know that I truly don’t care if I marry Atem or not” Aphrodite stated. “What?” Anabell snapped out of her little day dream. “I know, surprising…” She gazed down as if ashamed of her reason.

“If you don’t mind me asking, why are you here then?” Anabell asked, feeling she knew the answer but something was different within her eyes. Aphrodite walked to the nearest stone bench, plopping herself onto it as Anabell followed suit. “My father wanted me to of course. I didn’t fight with him about it but I had hoped I wouldn’t be picked. If anything I wish I can just tell the Pharaoh I can’t do it but my father would kill me if I didn’t try” she groaned like a teenager with parent issues.

She had placed her elbows on her knees, resting her head on her hands. “There’s something more to this isn’t there?” Anabell saw right through her. Aphrodite had that look in her eyes just as characters in her stories did. She finally sighed happily, her cheeks blazing red, “Oh…you wouldn’t believe this but there is a guard that works within the palace. He’s one of the top guards so he’s slightly in charge. We’ve talked and laughed and we have just an amazing time when we are together” a saddened sigh replaced the happiness that swelled in her heart for a moment. “But he is not of royal blood. I don’t know how it will ever happen”.

Anabell placed a hand on hers, causing Aphrodite to gasp. “Love will never know boundaries such a royalty or not. Love does not look at the color of your skin, blood nor culture. Love only sees the light in one’s eyes, the fluttering of a heart and a blissful sigh that could never be uttered by someone who wasn’t filled with joy. I live in a kingdom where there is no such thing as royal blood. We live, breath and die all the same, so we should love all the same”.

Aphrodite was bewildered by her words. Her eyes welled up as she engulfed Anabell in a hug, “You are the most wonderful person I have ever met! I will try then. I know it may be risky but I will try. Oh thank you Anabell!” She crushed her into another hug before slipping away, a bounce was seen in her step. Anabell giggled softly to herself.

“That was beautiful” a voice spoke behind her. Yet again she jumped from surprise. What was with people and sneaking up on her today? Anabell turned to see that Atem had come around the stone bench to sit next to her. Her face was beginning to blaze just as Aphrodite’s did at the mention of the guard. “Oh it was nothing! Just something my mother use to tell me” She laughed nervously, desperately trying not to make eye contact with him.

“You remind me of a friend of mine” Atem thoughtfully said, gazing into the rippling pond that fish swam joyfully through. Anabell froze, wishing to whatever god or goddess listening to help her through this. “She’s wiser than anyone I know. She always did enjoy love stories. She tells me stories about love all the time” Atem chuckled deeply, reminiscing on fond memories he had with Ysera. “She sounds wonderful” Anabell smiled, but inside she was cheering that he was actually talking about her.

“I hope that one day she will come here, but for now she’s…busy” Atem couldn’t think of what to say. “I’m sure she will” Anabell assured. Atem only smiled and opened his mouth to speak again, only to be interrupted by a voice nearby. “My Pharaoh, my I have a moment to speak to you in private” Seto stood with a stern look upon his face while glowering down toward Anabell. She gulped slightly, averting her attention from the harsh gaze to a woman behind him.

“Oh, Anabell, I’d like you to meet two of my top priests. You’ve already met Seto and this is Isis” Atem introduced them as she bowed her head with the kindness smile she could muster due to the heavily amount of glaring daggers aiming to her very soul. “Welcome princess” Isis greeted, returning the smile. Seto only cleared his throat, causing Atem to sigh in frusteration, “Alright” he turned to Anabell, grasping her hand gently and kissing the top of her hand.

Her face had flushed a crimson red. This is the first time she’s ever made actual skin contact with him and it causing shivers up her spine. “I will see you soon” Atem promised walking away with his two priests. Anabell had a nagging feeling things would take a turn for the worse.