‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

12. Just Johnny

12. Just Johnny

(Nicole’s POV)

The warm glow of the sun woke me the next morning. I was slightly confused as to why I was sleeping on my couch; that was until I heard the deep rumble behind me.

“Good morning, Nicole,” Johnny’s voice sent a shock through my body and a shiver down my spine.

I heard him chuckle as a gained my baring’s, “Morning,” I turning on the wide cushions so I could see him. His hair was sticking up as wildly as the short cut would allow, his eyes were only slightly parted and he had a soft smile on his face. I ran a hand over his bare chest absentmindedly.

“How did you sleep?” I ask, trying to break the silence that had fallen while I soaked him in.

Johnny leaned over and gently pressed his lips against mine before answering, “The best night I’ve had in a while.”

I feel my face heat up and he laughs again. Our moment is broken though when someone starts to knock on the door. Johnny curses under his breath as I struggle out of his arms.
I open the door to a pair of smug Patrick’s.

“Well, good morning beautiful. You wouldn’t happen to know where we could find our Captain, would you?” Sharpy leans against the door frame with his classic smile as Kaner tries to hold it together.

Before I can answer I feel Johnny wrap an arm around my waist, “What’s up guys?” he asks the two men in front of us – I’m surprised at how natural the moment feels.

Sharpy’s smile widens if that’s possible, “Good morning indeed. Mind if we come in? Or are we interrupting….” He lets the words trail off as Kaner finally cracks up.

“Get in here,” I go to move back and end up having to push Johnny out of the way so the two men can enter.

Kaner surveys the room, spotting the rumpled blankets on the couch, “Couldn’t wait huh Johnny?”
The chirp makes me blush, again, as Sharpy and Kaner laugh, again.

“Cool it guys,” Toews has taken a more defensive stance between me and the two men, “Nothing like that happened last night; and you can keep those types of comments to yourselves, understood.”

“We’re just busting you both. Don’t take it personally,” Kane tries to defuse the sudden tension.

“It’s disrespectful,” Johnny instantly says.
Sharpy jumps in, “Sorry you two. It was just too easy.”

I finally find my voice after my embarrassment fades, “It’s okay,” the three men look at me, “Seriously, I’ve heard it all before so don’t think you guys have to walk on eggshells around me. You’ll embarrass me, sure, but I’ll get over it.”

“Why do I have a feeling that you two need to talk still?” Kaner said as he looked between the Captain and me.

Johnny answer’s his question, “because we just woke up and haven’t talked about us yet.”
Hearing him say us sent a flurry of butterflies through my abdomen.

“Well then, we’ll be on our way,” Sharpy moved to the door and ushered Kaner out.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

Hearing how Patrick inferred Nicole angered me – truly angered – if the guy had been a stranger I probably would have pummeled him. This girl wasn’t even mine officially and I was already this protective – that scared me.

I turned to Nicole as the two Patrick’s left but she wasn’t standing in the same place. I turned a full circle before spotting her on the balcony. I walked out and wrapped my arms around her smaller frame, she relaxed into me.

“What are you thinking?” I question.
Nicole sighs, “What are we, Johnny?” the question was not unexpected.

“Well,” I start, she looks up at me as I turn her in my arms, and “We’re teammates, neighbors, friends, and if you will let, I want you to be my girl, Nicole. Have ever since the one date we went on last season.”

I tried to read the expression on her face but she was being careful, her eyes showed some doubt and that worried me.

“I don’t know Johnny,” She tried to look away but I moved her chin to face me again.

“Why not?” I already knew the answer but I wanted her to talk this out – to hopefully see why her reasons weren’t good enough to not give us a chance.

“The last Captain I dated didn’t end so well. You know that’s why I left,” Nicole gave me the exact excuse that I was waiting on.

“Then don’t date the ‘Captain’. Date me, just Johnny. No extras needed,” I give her a smile as she processes the suggestion.

She returns the smile, “Okay.”

The words barely leave her lips before mine crash down on hers - sealing the deal.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

Johnny left a couple of hours later for an interview session at the UC. I was lounging around the apartment, contemplating getting in a quick work out when my skype started ringing. I smiled when I saw the name of the person calling.

“CARA!” I squealed as her face popped up on the screen.
“NIC! Where the hell have you been!? We haven’t talked in months!” Cara’s voice carried over the speakers and a pain of regret shot through me.

“I know, I’m sorry boo. I should have called you sooner,” I say giving her a small pout.
She smiles, “It’s okay I guess……” I recognized the mischievous look instantly.

“What are you planning Cara Bree Young?” I used her full name to gain her attention back.
“Nothing I swear,” she giggled as an arm wrapped around her and a handsome face appeared beside her.

“She is coming to Chicago with us, Nicole,” Patrice said as he slid into the screen.

“Hello Burgy, glad to see you are still taking care of my bestie,” I greet the Bruin, “But we don’t play you for a couple of weeks still.”

Cara cut back in, “I know, but I missed you, and Patrice said the team would let me fly with them for the game and I couldn’t let the opportunity to see you pass up. I mean seriously Nicole, I was considering flying in and kidnapping you! You’ve had me worried,” I let Cara ramble on; clearly Patrice was used to her antics because he had a very bemused look on his face.

I looked at the Bruin, “That bad, huh?”
He smiled, “It was worse, believe me.”

Cara gently slapped his chest and pushed him away. Patrice called out a goodbye and left us girls to talk. We chatted for several more minutes, mostly planning an outing while she was here for a couple of days, before we had to say farewell.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

Interviews were never fun no matter how many you do. I was worn out from talking for three hours about hockey, the new season, our chance at the Cup, and new players – mainly Nicole. The process was tiring and often left me in a ruff mood. Normally I would go to the gym after to work out some of the frustration but Shaw was in there and I didn’t feel like dealing with him today. Unfortunately for me he had other ideas.

“Hey Johnny!” I let out a sigh as I heard Shaw call my name.
I turned to face the younger player, “Hey man what’s up?”

“Have you seen Nic today?” Shaw asked; I couldn’t tell if he was trying to get a rise from me so I played it cool.

“Not since this morning. Why?” Shaw stiffened when I mentioned seeing Nicole.

“I was going to see if she wanted to grab a bite tonight, but her door was locked when I went by,” I could feel my mouth twitch at the corners – Andrew’s face grew hard.

“Yeah, she was home. I don’t know if she would want to go but you could try calling her maybe,” there was a possessiveness in my voice that wasn’t normally there.

Shaw looked at me for a moment, “Yeah, maybe.”

He turned and walked away without another word. I relaxed my hand, not realizing that I had clinched it in the first place.
♠ ♠ ♠
RECAP:
1. Nicole and Johnny are chirped by the Patrick's (Typical)
2. Johnny and Nicole come to an agreement on the status of their relationship
3. Cara makes an appearance and she and Burgy are still together.
4. Tension builds between Johnny and Andrew

i apologize if this seems filler-ish. i've had a crazy week and was unable to write. i hope you guys are enjoying the stories.
as always all comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Let me know what you guys think!