‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

15. Spanish Inquisition

15. Spanish Inquisition

(Regular POV)

After the loss to the Bruins, the Blackhawks went on a fifteen game winning streak. The team was playing on a post-season level and the city was loving them for it.

December was fast approaching and the players around the league were looking forward to the short Christmas break.

“So Captain,” Sharpy's normal cheery voice broke across the ice as he skated up to the younger player, “Nic’s birthday is coming up….. Got any plans?”

Johnny gave Patrick a small smile, “Yeah…nothing big. Nicole said she didn’t want a party or anything.”

“Oh come on Johnny boy. You can let your girls first birthday as your girl go by without a celebration,” Brian had skated up to the pair.

“She doesn’t want a big celebration guys. I’m going to respect that,” Johnny stated firmly.

“Fine,” Patrick said, “But, that doesn’t mean WE can’t do something,” there was a glint in Sharpy’s eye that Johnny didn’t like but the older player skated off before he could say anything.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

On the ride home I couldn’t shake the feeling that Pat was up to something. The guy was known for his pranks and I didn’t want him to pull something on Nicole’s birthday; he had pranked Krugs last year and we did not need a repeat.

Just as I was pulling up to a stop light my phone rings.

“Hello?” I answer.
“Johnny? It’s Abby. Are you alone?”

“Umm….Yeah, what’s up?” her question puzzles me – the light turns green so I drive on.

“Why aren’t you doing anything for Nicole’s Birthday?” I inwardly groan – I’m going to throttle Sharpy.
“I already talked to Nicole. She doesn’t want a big party or anything,” I say; it feels like I’m standing in front of the Spanish inquisition.

“So she wants what? I quiet dinner?” Abby questions.
I sigh,” Yeah, something like that. Look, Abby, I already have a plan for her birthday.”

Abby laughs, “I’m sure you do hun, but we would all like to celebrate with her. You can’t keep her all too yourself all the time. Now, what’s her favorite colors? I need a color scheme to work with.”

I groan, “Fine, Blue, Purple, and silver are her top three. She likes green and red too.”

“Perfect! I can work with that. I’ll put everything together and I will need a list of people outside of the team that she would like to see, if you will get that for me then all you will have to do is make sure she is at the designated place at the appointed time. Think you can handle that?”

“I got it Abby. Just try not to go too over the top. Nicole likes simple,” I give a soft warning.

We disconnect shortly after that. I’ve made it home at this point and slowly get out of the car, determined to find my girlfriend and my bed.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

I was sitting in my normal reading chair when Johnny walked through my door. I was allowed out of practice today for a doctor’s appointment – that wonderful yearly exam all women have to go through.

Johnny kicks off his shoes by the door and walks to the sectional; he lands face first on the cushions and lets out an audible sigh.

I close my book and walk over to his still form, slowly sinking on what little cushion is left, “Tough day?”

A muffled response can be heard but I’m unsure what he said.

“Johnny, babe, I can’t understand you,” I rub his back gently; I can feel him melt under my touch.
Johnny shifts his body, looping an arm around my midsection, “Yeah, Coach Q worked us all hard. Be glad you missed.”

“Yikes,” I grimace at the thought, “What did y’all do?”

“Mutt was goofing off and wouldn’t take anything seriously. Coach had enough and we all paid. You know how that goes,” Johnny rolls his eyes and tries to pull me closer but has to shift further into the sectional to make room.

“That sounds about right,” I say as I sink next to him.

“How was your day?” Johnny asks me; I can hear how tired he is, his voice drops an octave as he snuggles into me.

I sigh, melting into his side, “It was good. Passed my checkup with flying colors so I’ll be back at the next practice.”

“Mmm….good,” Johnny’s voice is thick with sleep as his breathing evens out.
I giggle softly, “Sweet dreams, love.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

I awoke several hours later with Nicole still in my arms. The sun was setting, casting the room in a soft purple-blue glow. I feel her stir as she wakes up.

She turns in my arms to face me, “Hey, You.”
I gently kiss her forehead, her nose, and finally her lips, “Hey, sleep well?”
Nicole gives me a full smile, “Always.”

My phone rings, breaking our little moment. Nicole gets up and retrieves the offending device off of the coffee table. It’s a text from Sharpy.

SHARPSHOOTER>> Abby wants to take some of the girls out around 7.
CAPTAINSERIOUS>> Then why are you texting me?
SHARPSHOOTER>> Ask your girl please. Abby will pick her up

I look at Nicole, “Abby wants to know if you want to go hang out with a few of the girls tonight; seven-ish? She offered to pick you up.”

“Yeah, sure,” Nicole said as she picked her own phone up – she had received a text too.

CAPTAINSERIOUS>> She’s down.
SHARPSHOOTER>> Good. I’m coming over there then. See you soon.
CAPTAINSERIOUS>> I didn’t realize this was a tradeoff. Abby’s getting the better deal.
SHARPSHOOTER>> Ass
CAPTAINSERIOUS>> see you

“Something funny?” Nicole’s dark eyes are trailed on me as I laugh.
“Sharpy’s coming here,” I say, putting my phone down.
Nicole smiled, “Sounds like a trade.”
“Yeah,” I say, “And I’m on the losing end.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

True to her word, Abby dropped Pat off exactly at seven. We were now sitting with several women – a mix of wives and girlfriends.

“Is it weird for you?” one of the younger girls, I think her name was Lena, asked.
“Is what weird?” I asked back; not sure of what she meant.

“Being a woman in the Locke room. I mean, you are surrounded by all the guys and at some point they have to change into and out of their gear, right?”

“No, it’s not weird at all. The guys are extremely respectful when it comes to that,” I say.

Lena looks like she wants to say something else but a song she likes starts playing – her words were, ‘Oh my Gawd! This is MY song’ – right before pulling a few others onto the dance floor.

Abby scoots closer to where I’m sitting, “Don’t worry about her. She won’t be her long.”
“Who is she even seeing?” I ask.

Amanda, Bickell’s wife, answers, “She’s Andrew’s current piece. The younger guys need to learn how to choose better girls.”

“I didn’t know Andy was seeing anyone,” I say surprised.
“They never last long,” Elina, Niklas’ spouse adds.

I look at my phone and see that it’s nearly midnight, “I hate to leave so soon, but I have practice tomorrow.”

“It’s okay sweetheart, we understand,” Amanda say before finishing her non-alcoholic drink, “I think it’s time we all left anyway. I have to pick Brian up from Johnny’s anyway.”

“Niklas is there too,” Elina says as she grabs her purse.

The four of us make our way out of the club, sober, and to our respective cars – the only girls to drink tonight were the newer ones of the group.

“I will see you ladies in a few then,” I hug both women before climbing into the passenger side of Abby’s SUV.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

Abby picked Nicole up right on time with the promise of returning her soon. I told her I was not keeping Patrick and I expected a full return.

Now I’m sitting with both Patricks, Bicks, Nick, Shawzie, and Saader in Nicole’s apartment. Why we decided to camp out here I will never know.

Shawzie, Saader, and Kaner were playing Mario Kart while Nick, Sharpy, Brian and I played blackjack.

“So I’ve been thinking,” Sharpy starts off.
Brian cuts him off, “That’s never good.”

“He really means Abby had an idea and is making him go along with it,” Niklas chirps.

“Okay, fuck you both, and I can have an idea without Abby’s help,” Sharpy says to the other two men, “I think we should throw a surprise party for Nicole.”

“Yeah, isn’t her birthday coming up?” Bickell asks me.

I give Sharpy a look, “Yeah it is; and Abby has already talked to me about throwing a party.”

“Knew it!” Niklas cracks up; Patrick throws a pillow, hitting Nick in the face.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

The girls and I arrive back at the tower; traffic was surprisingly heavy so it was now close to one in the morning. We walk off the elevator and to my door. I can hear the T.V. blaring through the door.

“I hope they left your place in one piece,” Amanda giggles as I reach for the door.
“I will do bodily harm if they broke anything,” I say; the threat is halfhearted though.

Opening the door, we don’t see any movement.

“That’s strange,” Abby says as we enter the room.
“Oh!” Elina grabs my arm, stopping me from going further into the room, “Look!” she whispers, pointing to the living room.

Seven large frames are lounged across my living room furniture. Johnny is stretched out on my reading chaise, Brian is in the recliner, Niklas is laying on the ‘L’ of my sectional, Kaner is propped up on Sharpy’s shoulder on the opposite end of my sectional, Saader is lying flat on the floor with Andy snuggled into his side.

The girls and I pull out our phones and snap a quick picture before retreating to my kitchen.

“You’re not going to let them live this down are you?” Abby asks with a sly smile.
I return the smile, “Not a chance.”
♠ ♠ ♠
hey everyone! So Finals are over (PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!)

I've been working on this chapter for about a week - in between work and baby sitting - i hope you guys enjoy it!

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you all think!