‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

16. Lose Your Heart

16. Lose Your Heart

(Nicole’s POV)

It was now December 15th, the day before my birthday, and the day we were delivering toys to the children’s hospital. I had just parked when I hear my name. I turn and see Andy running toward me.

“Hey snuggle bug,” I call out as he slows to walk next to me.

He lets out a loud groan, “You’re never going to let that go are you?” Andy opens the door and lets me walk past.
“Nope,” I say, exaggerating the ‘P’ making it pop, “why should I? You and Saader are my new favorite couple now.”
Andy gives me a rueful look before joining Sharpie and Oduya near the nurses’ station.

“What did you do to Shawzie?” Corey asked after walking over to where I was standing.

I wake my phone and pull up the picture of Shaw and Saad sleeping on my floor.

Corey lets out a hardy laugh, “Oh that’s great! Please tell me you have been using that or I will be disappointed forever.”

I give my goalie a sly smile, “Why Crow, what kind of teammate would I be if I used this photo against them?”

Corey is still laughing as we are broken into groups for the visit. I’m with Corey, Kaner, and Duncan. An older nurse leads us away from the others to where the older kids, ages 13 to 18, live during their stay. She tells us that we will be rotating to the other wings after thirty minutes – two hours total.

Our first visit is a little boy - Caleb. He has the biggest smile on his face as we enter and I can see why. Aside from various pucks and posters on the wall, he is sporting a Crawford jersey. Crow takes center stage of this visit as Caleb proudly states number 5o as his favorite player of all time. The four of us sign the pucks and posters – Corey signs the jersey which makes the little boy giggle happily – then we are ushered out of the room.

“Cute kid,” Patrick says as we walk down the hall.
“It’s nice to see his smile,” the nurse – May is her name – says with a smile, “Caleb has been feel down the last couple of days with his chemo treatments.”

“What’s wrong with him?” I ask.
“Leukemia, but he has been responding well. It looks hopeful that he could go into remission,” May tells us as we are led to another room.

The visits continue over the next couple of hours. We all spend time with the kids and talk with the parents. It amazes me the strength and courage they show at such young ages. The whole area feels like one big family – I guess to go through what they have too, you need all the support you can get.

The last room the four of us enter is belongs to a little girl around the age of six. Her head is wrapped in gauze and she is holding a stuffed penguin. Her big blue eyes stare at the guys before her gaze lands on me. There is an audible gasp and I can see her parents smile.

“It’s you! It’s really you!” the little girl squeals, clutching the penguin tighter.

I take a step closer as the guys spread out into the room. Like with Caleb, any time a child has gotten excited over one particular person, we would let that person take center stage.

Her dad gives me a wink before offering his hand and saying,” You must be the new nurse Mrs. May was telling us about. I’m Steven, this is my wife Shelly, and our daughter Sara.”

“Daaaad! She isn’t a nurse!” Sara hissed at her father, “This is Nicole Green!”

“OH! My apologies Miss Green,” Steven and Shelly were holding back laughter as their daughter covered her face, clearly embarrassed.

I reach out and take the girl’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, “It’s nice to meet you sweetheart. Who have you got here?” I pick up the penguin with my free hand.

“That’s Greenie and that one,” Sara reaches for the other penguin that I didn’t notice before, “Is Geno.”
I smile, “Greenie and Geno. Those are cool names.”

“I names then after you and Geno; my favorite players. I was sad when you were traded. But I’m happy it was to the Blackhawks.”

“I was glad it was to the Blackhawks too,” I say, glossing over the sad part.

“Geno was her favorite player until you signed with the Pens,” Shelly says, causing Sara to blush.

“Mommy says that when my head gets better I can play hockey! I want to be like you when I’m all grown up!” Sara says; the guys behind me all chuckle.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

I was sitting with Hossa, Seabs, Sharpie, and Hammer when Crow, Duncs, and Kaner walk around the corner. I look past the trio expecting Nicole to be with them but she wasn’t.

“Where is Nic?” Hossa asks before I can.

Corey looks over his shoulder, “Huh….she was just with us.”
“Let’s go find her,” Brent says as he stands.

The eight of us walk down the long corridor, checking each room and both restrooms.

“This is a bit ridiculous,” Kaner say as we reach the end of this hall – it T’s off where we are currently standing.

“Well we came from the left,” Crow says, he turns to go down the hall.
“Yeah,” Duncs reaches out and stops Corey, “But the infant ward is that way,” he says.

We turn right and walk down another long corridor, passing several rooms – all doors were closed. Finally we reach the infant ward but the waiting room is deserted.

“Now what?” Kaner says.
“Guys!” Hammer calls out. He was standing in front of a pane of glass that we had passed on the way in – we hurry over.

Nicole is seated on the other side with a dark haired woman and an infant. The two seem to be in deep conversation as the eight of us watch.

The woman hands the baby over to Nicole. She cradles the tiny new born in her arms. She coos at the baby and moves the blanket away from its face. A tiny hand grasps onto Nicole’s finger, causing her to smile.

“She looks like a natural,” Hossa says from my right.
“Yeah. She does,” I agree.

“Careful Cappy or you’ll lose your heart,” Kaner chirps from further down the line.

I feel a hand clasp my shoulder, “I think he already has.”
I turn, meeting Sharpie’s gaze, “I think you’re right.”

Turning back to the glass, i see Nicole watching us. She quickly swipes he hand near her left eye. A single tear had escaped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! so I've been unable to write like i want too and it has been frustrating me. I want to apologize for delays between chapters.

Also I know that this chapter, while over all happy, could contain triggers for anyone who is going through, or has been through, similar situation and i want to be as respectful to those who has as i possibly can.

As always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you think!